You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free Agency Thread v2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NightTrainLane


Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 3184
Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daineraider wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:
Daryl Washington?


no


Because we have better options? Washington, if anywhere near his former self, would be a huge upgrade over our current options. I still prefer to resign Riley Jr, but Washington could be a good stop gap at a decent price.


He hasn't played in 3yrs. He is 30yrs old.

Maybe as a camp invite I guess.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DirtyHarry


Joined: 15 Mar 2006
Posts: 3413
Location: Foster City,CA
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
daineraider wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:
Daryl Washington?


no


Because we have better options? Washington, if anywhere near his former self, would be a huge upgrade over our current options. I still prefer to resign Riley Jr, but Washington could be a good stop gap at a decent price.


He hasn't played in 3yrs. He is 30yrs old.

Maybe as a camp invite I guess.

Sprinkle in a Assault on his ex girlfriend a few years back it's not happening.
_________________

JonesDrew32 wrote:
38-10 Chargers

This game should definitely bring some lulz from the Raiders side.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TiberiusRising


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 13266
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Will Sutton was more versatile.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NightTrainLane


Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 3184
Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
I wish Will Sutton was more versatile.


I bet he wishes the same. He'd probably still have a job.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Big Rob


Joined: 24 Sep 2011
Posts: 3590
Location: Long Beach, Ca
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drfrey13 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:
This is something I did not know but just read an article on. Apparently any FA signing from today on will not effect comp picks next year. Maybe we see a little movement in the next week. Still hoping for some linebacker help.


I doubt we sign any one else of substance (meaning more than an UDFA or camp invite) til we get the extensions worked out. But yes that is an interesting wrinkle.


Another wrinkle is that you can tender a player on March 9th for 110% of the previous years salary to maintain that player in the comp formula. NE just did it to Blount. It looks smart from an outsiders perspective but I think this one will come back to bite them. Blount gave them a bargain since he signed for $1 million and NE is using his team friendly deal against him by lowering his value. It also gives NE exclusive negotiating rights for Blount after July 22nd. I wonder if all teams have people look into the rules like this. They seem to be the team most likely to use an obscure rule or have one used in their favor.

Not trying to be funny but even Aaron Hernandez did it to make sure his daughter got his money.


How could that come back to bite them?

As long as they have the room to fit him under their cap limit (which they do), it's a win win for them.


Win win for NE but they are screwing a player that came back and gave them a team friendly deal. This was probably his last opportunity to cash in but now he might have to stay with a team that has a ton of RB's and he just turned 30. A team willing to give him a shot might have to forfeit a comp pick which will further reduce the benefit of signing an aging RB. Any team in line for a 3rd comp pick should not touch him. It may not seem like a big deal to you but I am pretty sure he is not happy. Guy just rushed for almost 1200 yards and 18 TDs and might have to play for $1.1 million when other less productive backs (Lacey, Peterson, Lynch, Murray) will be making a lot more. Does not look good for future FA who might come around and give team friendly deals.


hes been free to sign for months though? obviously his value isn't all that high around the league.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HookEm


Joined: 09 Jul 2016
Posts: 255
Location: Houston, TX
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
daineraider wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:
Daryl Washington?


no


Because we have better options? Washington, if anywhere near his former self, would be a huge upgrade over our current options. I still prefer to resign Riley Jr, but Washington could be a good stop gap at a decent price.


He hasn't played in 3yrs. He is 30yrs old.

Maybe as a camp invite I guess.


I'd bring him in on an incentive heavy deal, if he can return to form it's a steal. He is 30 years old but he also doesn't have the wear and tear on his body that a lot of guys do at his age.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drfrey13


Joined: 14 Oct 2010
Posts: 1452
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Rob wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:
This is something I did not know but just read an article on. Apparently any FA signing from today on will not effect comp picks next year. Maybe we see a little movement in the next week. Still hoping for some linebacker help.


I doubt we sign any one else of substance (meaning more than an UDFA or camp invite) til we get the extensions worked out. But yes that is an interesting wrinkle.


Another wrinkle is that you can tender a player on March 9th for 110% of the previous years salary to maintain that player in the comp formula. NE just did it to Blount. It looks smart from an outsiders perspective but I think this one will come back to bite them. Blount gave them a bargain since he signed for $1 million and NE is using his team friendly deal against him by lowering his value. It also gives NE exclusive negotiating rights for Blount after July 22nd. I wonder if all teams have people look into the rules like this. They seem to be the team most likely to use an obscure rule or have one used in their favor.

Not trying to be funny but even Aaron Hernandez did it to make sure his daughter got his money.


How could that come back to bite them?

As long as they have the room to fit him under their cap limit (which they do), it's a win win for them.


Win win for NE but they are screwing a player that came back and gave them a team friendly deal. This was probably his last opportunity to cash in but now he might have to stay with a team that has a ton of RB's and he just turned 30. A team willing to give him a shot might have to forfeit a comp pick which will further reduce the benefit of signing an aging RB. Any team in line for a 3rd comp pick should not touch him. It may not seem like a big deal to you but I am pretty sure he is not happy. Guy just rushed for almost 1200 yards and 18 TDs and might have to play for $1.1 million when other less productive backs (Lacey, Peterson, Lynch, Murray) will be making a lot more. Does not look good for future FA who might come around and give team friendly deals.


hes been free to sign for months though? obviously his value isn't all that high around the league.


I do not know why he has not been signed. Maybe he is asking to much like Riley but his cost just went up now that a team will have to give up a pick. He is better than all the backs I just listed and has less risk.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NightTrainLane


Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 3184
Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drfrey13 wrote:
Big Rob wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:
This is something I did not know but just read an article on. Apparently any FA signing from today on will not effect comp picks next year. Maybe we see a little movement in the next week. Still hoping for some linebacker help.


I doubt we sign any one else of substance (meaning more than an UDFA or camp invite) til we get the extensions worked out. But yes that is an interesting wrinkle.


Another wrinkle is that you can tender a player on March 9th for 110% of the previous years salary to maintain that player in the comp formula. NE just did it to Blount. It looks smart from an outsiders perspective but I think this one will come back to bite them. Blount gave them a bargain since he signed for $1 million and NE is using his team friendly deal against him by lowering his value. It also gives NE exclusive negotiating rights for Blount after July 22nd. I wonder if all teams have people look into the rules like this. They seem to be the team most likely to use an obscure rule or have one used in their favor.

Not trying to be funny but even Aaron Hernandez did it to make sure his daughter got his money.


How could that come back to bite them?

As long as they have the room to fit him under their cap limit (which they do), it's a win win for them.


Win win for NE but they are screwing a player that came back and gave them a team friendly deal. This was probably his last opportunity to cash in but now he might have to stay with a team that has a ton of RB's and he just turned 30. A team willing to give him a shot might have to forfeit a comp pick which will further reduce the benefit of signing an aging RB. Any team in line for a 3rd comp pick should not touch him. It may not seem like a big deal to you but I am pretty sure he is not happy. Guy just rushed for almost 1200 yards and 18 TDs and might have to play for $1.1 million when other less productive backs (Lacey, Peterson, Lynch, Murray) will be making a lot more. Does not look good for future FA who might come around and give team friendly deals.


hes been free to sign for months though? obviously his value isn't all that high around the league.


I do not know why he has not been signed. Maybe he is asking to much like Riley but his cost just went up now that a team will have to give up a pick. He is better than all the backs I just listed and has less risk.


Why would his price go up? The more teams pay him the higher the pick he is rated as and they will potentially have to give up.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frankie2Gunz


Joined: 11 Mar 2006
Posts: 1383
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyHarry wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
daineraider wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:
Daryl Washington?


no


Because we have better options? Washington, if anywhere near his former self, would be a huge upgrade over our current options. I still prefer to resign Riley Jr, but Washington could be a good stop gap at a decent price.


He hasn't played in 3yrs. He is 30yrs old.

Maybe as a camp invite I guess.

Sprinkle in a Assault on his ex girlfriend a few years back it's not happening.


The assault makes it highly unlikely. DW as a player, granted that was years ago was a stud MLB and one of the best in the game. Was it the juice? Maybe but he sure had 2 very good years. I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on DW the player, low risk high reward if he can be 90 percent of what he was but like I said before the assault makes it highly unlikely.
_________________



Props to Uncle Buck for the pimpin sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
G


Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 3881
Location: Hollywierd
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 years out of football is a pass for me, let alone with any off-field issues.

We talk about Reggie and 'The Green Bay Way' but Mr. McKenzie actually does it a bit differently as history now shows.
Yes we draft and want to retain home grown talent. (GBW)
However we spend WAY MORE on FA's than GB does or ever did.
Brett favre (trade)
Reggie White and Charles Woodson FA's
No big names since and GB's Oline was always home grown. Oakland has one HG oline in Jackson. Howard and Penn were seen as servicable players who could excell but Hudson and Osemele were Pro bowl players we stole win huge contracts that are going to look like bargains after what we're seeing with oline FA contracts now.
WR Crabtree, LB Irvin, FS Nelson, CB Smith all had PB experience or PB ability seen at one time but all are on good contracts as far as cost and cutting ability.
Aldon was/is talented trouble that is the old 'Oakland way'
Lynch is a player coming home to make a push to win a trophy for the place he loves.
We have a mixture of 'ways' and need to stop thinking we're the GBW
The other GBW is we don't reach/chase/overpay to fix a need. We adjust as Clay Matthews played ILB out of need and maybe we will see Mack spend more time at all LB positions if Aldon is back and balling.
We are BETTER than the GBW as Reggie took what he liked about what he learned there and adapted it to suit his and Oakland's needs.
The next step is June 1st cuts and possible trades of one of our 'smurfs' if there is a LB worth going after and if Lynch/Hood look good (Which I think they will) Would love to keep all of them, but both richard and Washington have shown NFL value and shifty Smurfs might have good trade value soon.

EDIT: Hodges or Riley would be welcomed additions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
raidr4life


Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 8707
Location: Fresno, California
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
3 years out of football is a pass for me, let alone with any off-field issues.

We talk about Reggie and 'The Green Bay Way' but Mr. McKenzie actually does it a bit differently as history now shows.
Yes we draft and want to retain home grown talent. (GBW)
However we spend WAY MORE on FA's than GB does or ever did.
Brett favre (trade)
Reggie White and Charles Woodson FA's
No big names since and GB's Oline was always home grown. Oakland has one HG oline in Jackson. Howard and Penn were seen as servicable players who could excell but Hudson and Osemele were Pro bowl players we stole win huge contracts that are going to look like bargains after what we're seeing with oline FA contracts now.
WR Crabtree, LB Irvin, FS Nelson, CB Smith all had PB experience or PB ability seen at one time but all are on good contracts as far as cost and cutting ability.
Aldon was/is talented trouble that is the old 'Oakland way'
Lynch is a player coming home to make a push to win a trophy for the place he loves.
We have a mixture of 'ways' and need to stop thinking we're the GBW
The other GBW is we don't reach/chase/overpay to fix a need. We adjust as Clay Matthews played ILB out of need and maybe we will see Mack spend more time at all LB positions if Aldon is back and balling.
We are BETTER than the GBW as Reggie took what he liked about what he learned there and adapted it to suit his and Oakland's needs.
The next step is June 1st cuts and possible trades of one of our 'smurfs' if there is a LB worth going after and if Lynch/Hood look good (Which I think they will) Would love to keep all of them, but both richard and Washington have shown NFL value and shifty Smurfs might have good trade value soon.

EDIT: Hodges or Riley would be welcomed additions.
Reggie had to spend because of cap floor and we needed a influx of talent, but as you seen this year we did little in FA, and it will be like that from here on out. we have our core players and Reggie will add through the draft.
_________________
Homey don't play that!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drfrey13


Joined: 14 Oct 2010
Posts: 1452
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:
Big Rob wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:
This is something I did not know but just read an article on. Apparently any FA signing from today on will not effect comp picks next year. Maybe we see a little movement in the next week. Still hoping for some linebacker help.


I doubt we sign any one else of substance (meaning more than an UDFA or camp invite) til we get the extensions worked out. But yes that is an interesting wrinkle.


Another wrinkle is that you can tender a player on March 9th for 110% of the previous years salary to maintain that player in the comp formula. NE just did it to Blount. It looks smart from an outsiders perspective but I think this one will come back to bite them. Blount gave them a bargain since he signed for $1 million and NE is using his team friendly deal against him by lowering his value. It also gives NE exclusive negotiating rights for Blount after July 22nd. I wonder if all teams have people look into the rules like this. They seem to be the team most likely to use an obscure rule or have one used in their favor.

Not trying to be funny but even Aaron Hernandez did it to make sure his daughter got his money.


How could that come back to bite them?

As long as they have the room to fit him under their cap limit (which they do), it's a win win for them.


Win win for NE but they are screwing a player that came back and gave them a team friendly deal. This was probably his last opportunity to cash in but now he might have to stay with a team that has a ton of RB's and he just turned 30. A team willing to give him a shot might have to forfeit a comp pick which will further reduce the benefit of signing an aging RB. Any team in line for a 3rd comp pick should not touch him. It may not seem like a big deal to you but I am pretty sure he is not happy. Guy just rushed for almost 1200 yards and 18 TDs and might have to play for $1.1 million when other less productive backs (Lacey, Peterson, Lynch, Murray) will be making a lot more. Does not look good for future FA who might come around and give team friendly deals.


hes been free to sign for months though? obviously his value isn't all that high around the league.


I do not know why he has not been signed. Maybe he is asking to much like Riley but his cost just went up now that a team will have to give up a pick. He is better than all the backs I just listed and has less risk.


Why would his price go up? The more teams pay him the higher the pick he is rated as and they will potentially have to give up.


Sorry I did not clarify. I studied economics so by cost I mean pick + salary. So if he was going to get $3 million now it would be $3 million plus a 5th or 6th round pick. The team would have to give up more to have him on there roster. Since his cost goes up then his benefit would have to go up. That is not going to happen from him. I team would have to have someone get injured or realize they need a better back for a playoff run. This limits his options or he can lower his salary price to compensate for the pick. Say to around $2-2.5 million. If he has to lower his salary then NE screwed him. That is fine for NE while they are perennial Super Bowl contenders because player will always chase a ring but if Tom Brady truly is the Goat when he leaves they will not be the team to give a deal to. Knowing how Bill has treated other players in the past given the choice with equal benefits I could not choose NE because they have shown that they are willing to screw over a player. This is just how I see it and this is not a huge deal but if they choose to repeat this type of behavior over and over again then it will reflect negatively on them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NightTrainLane


Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 3184
Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drfrey13 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:
Big Rob wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:
This is something I did not know but just read an article on. Apparently any FA signing from today on will not effect comp picks next year. Maybe we see a little movement in the next week. Still hoping for some linebacker help.


I doubt we sign any one else of substance (meaning more than an UDFA or camp invite) til we get the extensions worked out. But yes that is an interesting wrinkle.


Another wrinkle is that you can tender a player on March 9th for 110% of the previous years salary to maintain that player in the comp formula. NE just did it to Blount. It looks smart from an outsiders perspective but I think this one will come back to bite them. Blount gave them a bargain since he signed for $1 million and NE is using his team friendly deal against him by lowering his value. It also gives NE exclusive negotiating rights for Blount after July 22nd. I wonder if all teams have people look into the rules like this. They seem to be the team most likely to use an obscure rule or have one used in their favor.

Not trying to be funny but even Aaron Hernandez did it to make sure his daughter got his money.


How could that come back to bite them?

As long as they have the room to fit him under their cap limit (which they do), it's a win win for them.


Win win for NE but they are screwing a player that came back and gave them a team friendly deal. This was probably his last opportunity to cash in but now he might have to stay with a team that has a ton of RB's and he just turned 30. A team willing to give him a shot might have to forfeit a comp pick which will further reduce the benefit of signing an aging RB. Any team in line for a 3rd comp pick should not touch him. It may not seem like a big deal to you but I am pretty sure he is not happy. Guy just rushed for almost 1200 yards and 18 TDs and might have to play for $1.1 million when other less productive backs (Lacey, Peterson, Lynch, Murray) will be making a lot more. Does not look good for future FA who might come around and give team friendly deals.


hes been free to sign for months though? obviously his value isn't all that high around the league.


I do not know why he has not been signed. Maybe he is asking to much like Riley but his cost just went up now that a team will have to give up a pick. He is better than all the backs I just listed and has less risk.


Why would his price go up? The more teams pay him the higher the pick he is rated as and they will potentially have to give up.


Sorry I did not clarify. I studied economics so by cost I mean pick + salary. So if he was going to get $3 million now it would be $3 million plus a 5th or 6th round pick. The team would have to give up more to have him on there roster. Since his cost goes up then his benefit would have to go up. That is not going to happen from him. I team would have to have someone get injured or realize they need a better back for a playoff run. This limits his options or he can lower his salary price to compensate for the pick. Say to around $2-2.5 million. If he has to lower his salary then NE screwed him. That is fine for NE while they are perennial Super Bowl contenders because player will always chase a ring but if Tom Brady truly is the Goat when he leaves they will not be the team to give a deal to. Knowing how Bill has treated other players in the past given the choice with equal benefits I could not choose NE because they have shown that they are willing to screw over a player. This is just how I see it and this is not a huge deal but if they choose to repeat this type of behavior over and over again then it will reflect negatively on them.


I get what you meant now.

NE has been doing this kind of stuff for years and they will continue to til Bill is gone. Just how he operates. Uses everything he can to put the best team out there. It's nice to think about but it won't hurt them at all.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
G


Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 3881
Location: Hollywierd
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect June 1st cuts to free up LB Brian Cushing and LB Mychal Kendricks.

Depending on the price, I'd be happy with either or both.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigD1123


Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 758
Location: South carolina
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:
I wish Will Sutton was more versatile.


I bet he wishes the same. He'd probably still have a job.


Hehe well played sir
_________________
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that counts. Its the size of the fight in the dog.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 49 of 55

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group