Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free Agency Thread v2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
oakdb36


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 17040
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:


If you don't think this is how Reggie planned out this offseason, especially seeing the deals he offers players and the GM he learned from, then you haven't been paying attention to where he came from.


So if i somewhat disagree with what you're saying, i have no idea what i'm talking about. Gotcha!

Anyway, i'm sure Reggie planned this offseason according to the contracts he has to give to Carr, Mack and Jackson. It means no expensive signings in FA and not many signings overall. The upcoming comp picks will be a consequence of the budget he's working on. I'm sure he's glad to get comp picks but i definitely don't think that's a main goal in his plan. If he wanted to sign players without impacting the comp picks, he could (players cut from other teams). The main reason he's going to get comp picks is he didn't have to re-sign anyone from his 2013 draft class and they got paid elsewhere. So i guess he had a very clever plan of not drafting a player worth re-signing 4 years later so he could get some late round picks in 2018. Or it's just how the situation unfolded.
_________________
Plush wrote:
Papa was a trolling stone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OakRaiders3828


Joined: 18 Aug 2007
Posts: 12482
Location: Lehigh Valley
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggie definitely thinks long term. He's smart enough to know that not every draft pick will be worth re signing, but if you get average production out of late round picks (Murray and McGee for example) for four years, then they get overpaid elsewhere leading to a comp pick, that's considered a success IMO, especially if he's confident in his abilities to draft and replace that production for much cheaper. Which obviously he is.

I think it's a mix of how it unfolded and a plan. I don't think he wants his 1st and 2nd round picks to walk, but that's how it happened, because what they wanted didn't match their on field play.
_________________
R A I D E R S | 7 6 E R S
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dessie


Joined: 02 Feb 2006
Posts: 6635
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:


If you don't think this is how Reggie planned out this offseason, especially seeing the deals he offers players and the GM he learned from, then you haven't been paying attention to where he came from.


So if i somewhat disagree with what you're saying, i have no idea what i'm talking about. Gotcha!

Anyway, i'm sure Reggie planned this offseason according to the contracts he has to give to Carr, Mack and Jackson. It means no expensive signings in FA and not many signings overall. The upcoming comp picks will be a consequence of the budget he's working on. I'm sure he's glad to get comp picks but i definitely don't think that's a main goal in his plan. If he wanted to sign players without impacting the comp picks, he could (players cut from other teams). The main reason he's going to get comp picks is he didn't have to re-sign anyone from his 2013 draft class and they got paid elsewhere. So i guess he had a very clever plan of not drafting a player worth re-signing 4 years later so he could get some late round picks in 2018. Or it's just how the situation unfolded.


Yeah I very much doubt Reggie sets out to get comp picks. Doubt he would baulk at signing a FA who can help the team because it might meaning losing a 6th.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NightTrainLane


Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 3072
Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:


If you don't think this is how Reggie planned out this offseason, especially seeing the deals he offers players and the GM he learned from, then you haven't been paying attention to where he came from.


So if i somewhat disagree with what you're saying, i have no idea what i'm talking about. Gotcha!

Anyway, i'm sure Reggie planned this offseason according to the contracts he has to give to Carr, Mack and Jackson. It means no expensive signings in FA and not many signings overall. The upcoming comp picks will be a consequence of the budget he's working on. I'm sure he's glad to get comp picks but i definitely don't think that's a main goal in his plan. If he wanted to sign players without impacting the comp picks, he could (players cut from other teams). The main reason he's going to get comp picks is he didn't have to re-sign anyone from his 2013 draft class and they got paid elsewhere. So i guess he had a very clever plan of not drafting a player worth re-signing 4 years later so he could get some late round picks in 2018. Or it's just how the situation unfolded.


If you look at my statement, I said, "a goal and/or a possible outcome this offseason", so slow your roll.

I only took exception with the inference that this wasn't a something that was part of an overall plan. Taking a deep dive into draft classes and whatnot doesn't have any baring on this because plans evolve as situation come to lite. Up until a few week ago I had been rocking a sig predicting how we'd behave in FA. It wasn't a guess out of thin air. I looked at the possibility of a # of players not being back coupled with Reggie pedigree and the roster situation.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drfrey13


Joined: 14 Oct 2010
Posts: 1441
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something I did not know but just read an article on. Apparently any FA signing from today on will not effect comp picks next year. Maybe we see a little movement in the next week. Still hoping for some linebacker help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NightTrainLane


Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 3072
Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drfrey13 wrote:
This is something I did not know but just read an article on. Apparently any FA signing from today on will not effect comp picks next year. Maybe we see a little movement in the next week. Still hoping for some linebacker help.


I doubt we sign any one else of substance (meaning more than an UDFA or camp invite) til we get the extensions worked out. But yes that is an interesting wrinkle.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drfrey13


Joined: 14 Oct 2010
Posts: 1441
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:
This is something I did not know but just read an article on. Apparently any FA signing from today on will not effect comp picks next year. Maybe we see a little movement in the next week. Still hoping for some linebacker help.


I doubt we sign any one else of substance (meaning more than an UDFA or camp invite) til we get the extensions worked out. But yes that is an interesting wrinkle.


Another wrinkle is that you can tender a player on March 9th for 110% of the previous years salary to maintain that player in the comp formula. NE just did it to Blount. It looks smart from an outsiders perspective but I think this one will come back to bite them. Blount gave them a bargain since he signed for $1 million and NE is using his team friendly deal against him by lowering his value. It also gives NE exclusive negotiating rights for Blount after July 22nd. I wonder if all teams have people look into the rules like this. They seem to be the team most likely to use an obscure rule or have one used in their favor.

Not trying to be funny but even Aaron Hernandez did it to make sure his daughter got his money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NightTrainLane


Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 3072
Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drfrey13 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:
This is something I did not know but just read an article on. Apparently any FA signing from today on will not effect comp picks next year. Maybe we see a little movement in the next week. Still hoping for some linebacker help.


I doubt we sign any one else of substance (meaning more than an UDFA or camp invite) til we get the extensions worked out. But yes that is an interesting wrinkle.


Another wrinkle is that you can tender a player on March 9th for 110% of the previous years salary to maintain that player in the comp formula. NE just did it to Blount. It looks smart from an outsiders perspective but I think this one will come back to bite them. Blount gave them a bargain since he signed for $1 million and NE is using his team friendly deal against him by lowering his value. It also gives NE exclusive negotiating rights for Blount after July 22nd. I wonder if all teams have people look into the rules like this. They seem to be the team most likely to use an obscure rule or have one used in their favor.

Not trying to be funny but even Aaron Hernandez did it to make sure his daughter got his money.


How could that come back to bite them?

As long as they have the room to fit him under their cap limit (which they do), it's a win win for them.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drfrey13


Joined: 14 Oct 2010
Posts: 1441
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:
This is something I did not know but just read an article on. Apparently any FA signing from today on will not effect comp picks next year. Maybe we see a little movement in the next week. Still hoping for some linebacker help.


I doubt we sign any one else of substance (meaning more than an UDFA or camp invite) til we get the extensions worked out. But yes that is an interesting wrinkle.


Another wrinkle is that you can tender a player on March 9th for 110% of the previous years salary to maintain that player in the comp formula. NE just did it to Blount. It looks smart from an outsiders perspective but I think this one will come back to bite them. Blount gave them a bargain since he signed for $1 million and NE is using his team friendly deal against him by lowering his value. It also gives NE exclusive negotiating rights for Blount after July 22nd. I wonder if all teams have people look into the rules like this. They seem to be the team most likely to use an obscure rule or have one used in their favor.

Not trying to be funny but even Aaron Hernandez did it to make sure his daughter got his money.


How could that come back to bite them?

As long as they have the room to fit him under their cap limit (which they do), it's a win win for them.


Win win for NE but they are screwing a player that came back and gave them a team friendly deal. This was probably his last opportunity to cash in but now he might have to stay with a team that has a ton of RB's and he just turned 30. A team willing to give him a shot might have to forfeit a comp pick which will further reduce the benefit of signing an aging RB. Any team in line for a 3rd comp pick should not touch him. It may not seem like a big deal to you but I am pretty sure he is not happy. Guy just rushed for almost 1200 yards and 18 TDs and might have to play for $1.1 million when other less productive backs (Lacey, Peterson, Lynch, Murray) will be making a lot more. Does not look good for future FA who might come around and give team friendly deals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
raiderrocker18


Joined: 09 Dec 2014
Posts: 5048
Location: Los Angeles
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daryl Washington?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NightTrainLane


Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 3072
Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderrocker18 wrote:
Daryl Washington?


no
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NightTrainLane


Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 3072
Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drfrey13 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
drfrey13 wrote:
This is something I did not know but just read an article on. Apparently any FA signing from today on will not effect comp picks next year. Maybe we see a little movement in the next week. Still hoping for some linebacker help.


I doubt we sign any one else of substance (meaning more than an UDFA or camp invite) til we get the extensions worked out. But yes that is an interesting wrinkle.


Another wrinkle is that you can tender a player on March 9th for 110% of the previous years salary to maintain that player in the comp formula. NE just did it to Blount. It looks smart from an outsiders perspective but I think this one will come back to bite them. Blount gave them a bargain since he signed for $1 million and NE is using his team friendly deal against him by lowering his value. It also gives NE exclusive negotiating rights for Blount after July 22nd. I wonder if all teams have people look into the rules like this. They seem to be the team most likely to use an obscure rule or have one used in their favor.

Not trying to be funny but even Aaron Hernandez did it to make sure his daughter got his money.


How could that come back to bite them?

As long as they have the room to fit him under their cap limit (which they do), it's a win win for them.


Win win for NE but they are screwing a player that came back and gave them a team friendly deal. This was probably his last opportunity to cash in but now he might have to stay with a team that has a ton of RB's and he just turned 30. A team willing to give him a shot might have to forfeit a comp pick which will further reduce the benefit of signing an aging RB. Any team in line for a 3rd comp pick should not touch him. It may not seem like a big deal to you but I am pretty sure he is not happy. Guy just rushed for almost 1200 yards and 18 TDs and might have to play for $1.1 million when other less productive backs (Lacey, Peterson, Lynch, Murray) will be making a lot more. Does not look good for future FA who might come around and give team friendly deals.


Yeah, NE doesn't care about his feelings and players take less to play there all the time. I don't believe anyone was gonna give him a big deal. Of course that isn't certain but I'd put money down on it. Just my opinion. And the way comp picks work is the he would have to sign a 10mil a yr deal or more to take away a teams 3rd round comp and that ABSOLUTELY wasn't happening. All the backs you named got deal that rated as 6th rd comp picks and Blount would have gotten less the them.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
daineraider


Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Posts: 6917
Location: Salt Lake City
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:
Daryl Washington?


no


Because we have better options? Washington, if anywhere near his former self, would be a huge upgrade over our current options. I still prefer to resign Riley Jr, but Washington could be a good stop gap at a decent price.
_________________


Joe_is_the_best at making sigs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
raiderrocker18


Joined: 09 Dec 2014
Posts: 5048
Location: Los Angeles
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i dont think a 1 year deal would be risky
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
THE MAD STORK


Joined: 07 Aug 2012
Posts: 920
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daineraider wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:
Daryl Washington?


no


Because we have better options? Washington, if anywhere near his former self, would be a huge upgrade over our current options. I still prefer to resign Riley Jr, but Washington could be a good stop gap at a decent price.


Daryl Washington was the most underrated LB before he got suspended. I felt he was a top 3 LB at one point. I'm all for it. He's done his time. Zero risk. Hopefully he learned.
_________________
STOP THE VIOLANCE. FREE EricAllen21.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 48 of 52

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group