Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free Agency Thread v2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44, 45  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raidr4life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
We signed Georgio Tavechio. Finally, the move we've all been waiting for
Too late!
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:

Sealy sigs his praises. Wonder if he ever wins a job in this league.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raidr4life wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
I read Riley Jr. might retire if he doesn't get close to what he wants. That sure would suck. Shocked

It wouldn't suck at all. Reggie tried to sign him before Free Agency starts, but Riley Jr. was way over his head. Then when Free Agency started, I don't think I heard any teams wanted him in for a visit or schedule a meeting with him. This doesn't surprised me at all because we always been a fan base that overvalued our players, but Perry Riley Jr. top the list over Chaz Schilens, David Amerson, Denarius Moore, David Ausberry, Matt McGloin, and even Terrelle Pryor. I seriously don't get why he got so much love for being just a ordinary player.

Because he was better than Burris and Heeney.

I'm with oakdb. Curious to see what we want the room for. Maybe it is just for resigning. We definitely need to fortify our interior though

I agree 88. I don't think he got a ton of love. But he is getting acknowledged as being our best ILB on the year. A guy that came to the team on week 5, learned the defense and vastly improved our play. Yes, he is an average player. But we need average player too. Now if he is asking for 5mil a year or something then I understand the holdup but average start money for ILB is around $3.5-4mil a year. I think he is worth that on a 2 year deal we can get out of after one year.
Zach Brown got less than that. Just saying.

Yeah, because his agent and friends were morons.

~This is the year of "win close". Next year is "win big".
~IMO Reggie has a plan for how much he can spend. The 2-4 FA who sign may surprise us but they will make sense once we draft.
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

I wonder if the team would have the balls to cut Jano and save the 3.5mil in cap if Georgio has a good camp?

Would be hard to imagine that being his ending with us but I didn't think Shane would play anywhere else either.

~This is the year of "win close". Next year is "win big".
~IMO Reggie has a plan for how much he can spend. The 2-4 FA who sign may surprise us but they will make sense once we draft.
daineraider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

I wonder if the team would have the balls to cut Jano and save the 3.5mil in cap if Georgio has a good camp?

Would be hard to imagine that being his ending with us but I didn't think Shane would play anywhere else either.

Ive thought about that a little bit. Jano has been good, but not great most of his career. Love him, but saving $3.5 mil on a kicker to put towards Carr, Mack, Jackson other FAs is a pretty tough decision. Tavechio has looked good in his time with us, but its more like practice and he has yet to prove he can do it in a real game. I wouldnt be against it, but would miss Jano if he were to leave.
reddevil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
Del Rio hinted at a change of scheme at the Combine so maybe that has some bearing on the Williams release and might indicate a different type of DT player he is looking for.

Quote:
Del Rio also acknowledged the Raiders must tweak their defensive scheme to generate more heat on opposing quarterbacks.

“Part of it is that our attack needs to become a little more attacking,” Del Rio said. “There was a little too much catch-and-read at the line, which system-wise, we’re looking at to make sure we’re teeing off and doing the things we need to do to give those guys a chance"

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/oakland-raiders-nfl-scouting-combine-jack-del-rio-coach-silver-and-black-nfl-draft/1nj5mzeuoty9p1jo5gdrtzfdlo

Well spotted. I saw a couple of comments Del Rio made at that time, but didn't zone in on this. He certainly implies that there will be some change to the system. It will be interesting to see what the, 'our attack needs to become more attacking' statement means in terms of how we line up and if we are looking at a different type of player to bring in to see it happen.
Rolni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
Del Rio hinted at a change of scheme at the Combine so maybe that has some bearing on the Williams release and might indicate a different type of DT player he is looking for.

Quote:
Del Rio also acknowledged the Raiders must tweak their defensive scheme to generate more heat on opposing quarterbacks.

“Part of it is that our attack needs to become a little more attacking,” Del Rio said. “There was a little too much catch-and-read at the line, which system-wise, we’re looking at to make sure we’re teeing off and doing the things we need to do to give those guys a chance"

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/oakland-raiders-nfl-scouting-combine-jack-del-rio-coach-silver-and-black-nfl-draft/1nj5mzeuoty9p1jo5gdrtzfdlo

Great find Dessie. This could mean 1 gap on the DL, which Pagano is really familiar with. He learned the 1 gap 3-4 under Wade Phillips...
Darbsk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reddevil wrote:
Dessie wrote:

Quote:

Well spotted. I saw a couple of comments Del Rio made at that time, but didn't zone in on this. He certainly implies that there will be some change to the system. It will be interesting to see what the, 'our attack needs to become more attacking' statement means in terms of how we line up and if we are looking at a different type of player to bring in to see it happen.

Hopefully it will mean looking at the 1 gap, penetrating type scheme which would suit guys like Autry, Latham and Ward already on our roster and would I think work better with our 5-2 kind of front. Dan Williams and Jelly Ellis are more like the 2 gap traditional clogging players and I think last year guys like Autry and Ward in particular struggled with knowing and reading blocks.

I can picture a 5-2 front now with Mack - Edwards/Ward - NT - Latham/Autry - Irvin

I haven't been too big a fan of Ellis and feel he's just an average at best DT. I'd like to see us get a more penetrating type player like Jaleel Johnson, Caleb Brantley or Eddie Vanderdoes that could do a job there though we'll probably not spend too high a pick which could rule Johnson and Brantley out. I think the FO is wanting development from our in house players and may add a guy late or a late cut to compete with Ellis, they seem to like him more than me Laughing

Edited to add: Rolni you got there just before me with the 1 gap thinking Very Happy
riceraider8080

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="raidr4life"][quote="Silver&Black88"]
RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
I read Riley Jr. might retire if he doesn't get close to what he wants. That sure would suck. Shocked

It wouldn't suck at all. Reggie tried to sign him before Free Agency starts, but Riley Jr. was way over his head. Then when Free Agency started, I don't think I heard any teams wanted him in for a visit or schedule a meeting with him. This doesn't surprised me at all because we always been a fan base that overvalued our players, but Perry Riley Jr. top the list over Chaz Schilens, David Amerson, Denarius Moore, David Ausberry, Matt McGloin, and even Terrelle Pryor. I seriously don't get why he got so much love for being just a ordinary player.

Because he was better than Burris and Heeney.

I'm with oakdb. Curious to see what we want the room for. Maybe it is just for resigning. We definitely need to fortify our interior though

Could honestly just be for resignings. By AAV, Carr will get 20+ mil, Mack will get around 20 mil, and Gabe could be looking at 6-7 mil. And they'll probably be most front loaded like Osemele's to give us future cap flexibility since we have so much space right now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-what-does-sheldon-richardsons-value-look-like/

He was elite when he played on the interior (2013-14), then the Jets moved him outside to put Williams and Wilkerson on the field with him. That's not his true fit but he still played alright. He'd move back to 3T with the Raiders and start producing again. Worst case scenario, he has a great season and we can't re-sign him but we get a 3rd round com pick in 2019 (we won't be big spenders in FA next offseason). His current trade value being a 3rd at best, we'd trade a 3rd this season (and it could just be part of a trade down like the Jernigan trade) for 1 year of Richardson and a 3rd in 2019. I'd definitely do it if we can fit his 8M salary under our cap. With 32M available, i think we can.

http://cover32.com/2017/04/14/raiders-trade-richardson/
Dessie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolni wrote:
Dessie wrote:

Quote:

Great find Dessie. This could mean 1 gap on the DL, which Pagano is really familiar with. He learned the 1 gap 3-4 under Wade Phillips...

Agreed, I think the 1 gap scheme is very possible. Phillips moved Denver from Del Rios 2 gap scheme fairly easily. Pagano could help that transition.
Rolni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-what-does-sheldon-richardsons-value-look-like/

He was elite when he played on the interior (2013-14), then the Jets moved him outside to put Williams and Wilkerson on the field with him. That's not his true fit but he still played alright. He'd move back to 3T with the Raiders and start producing again. Worst case scenario, he has a great season and we can't re-sign him but we get a 3rd round com pick in 2019 (we won't be big spenders in FA next offseason). His current trade value being a 3rd at best, we'd trade a 3rd this season (and it could just be part of a trade down like the Jernigan trade) for 1 year of Richardson and a 3rd in 2019. I'd definitely do it if we can fit his 8M salary under our cap. With 32M available, i think we can.

http://cover32.com/2017/04/14/raiders-trade-richardson/

I guess we could fit his money under the cap if we really want to, but that could mean no extension for Gabe Jackson.
32M-the rookie class, which could be around 6-8M.
If we count Richardson in with 8M we would be with 16-18M before the extensions. I think that is not enough for Carr and Gabe.

So to me it is Gabe Jackson on the long run or Sheldon Richardson on a short run with a slight possibility of an extension.

I say slight possibility for a long term deal, because of:
1- he might never get back to his dominant days
2- if not we changed a Pro Bowl guard to a solid DT and we won't extend a solid DT for big bucks
3- if he returns to form we won't be able to resign him and Mack. Mack will ask for potentially biggest D contract ever and Sheldon would shoot for high end DT money. That would be too much with Carr already under new contract
4- his past off field problems and potential suspension should also come into the picture when he asks for an extension.

I say get the best DL player with that 3rd round pick, so we could have a good battle in TC with Edwards, Ward, Latham, Autry, rookie, Jelly and others. Ideally this group with another offseason, with a more aggressive D approach (which JDR already hinted) and with improved LB and DB play should be a good one.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolni wrote:
Dessie wrote:

Quote:

No surprises really. Pagano was hired to this staff for a reason. This defense will effectively have his stamp on it if he doesn't take it over completely at some point.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One issue though at least for now. JDR said Pagano would be mostly working with secondary to shore up their issues.
Rolni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
One issue though at least for now. JDR said Pagano would be mostly working with secondary to shore up their issues.

You have link for that?
I don't remember for this kinda quote.

He would have been DB or secondary coach if that would be his main task IMO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 43 of 45

Jump to: