Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hankins signs with Colts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcus21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Hankins signs with Colts Reply with quote

Greetings!! Am I missing something about Johnathan Hankins? I thought he would have been one of the first DLinemen picked up in FA. From what I have seen, he is a beast against the run and has a decent push in pass rush. I read he has some injury history, but who doesn't?
I keep hoping Washington brings him in for a visit because we are desperate for DLine help.... any thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hankins? Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
Greetings!! Am I missing something about Johnathan Hankins? I thought he would have been one of the first DLinemen picked up in FA. From what I have seen, he is a beast against the run and has a decent push in pass rush. I read he has some injury history, but who doesn't?
I keep hoping Washington brings him in for a visit because we are desperate for DLine help.... any thoughts?

The DL market in general is down probably because the draft is so rich. It's likely he'll get a one year deal. Also, its been reported he's looking for all of the money.
minutemancl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's looking for more than he is going to get. Also, to be honest, he doesn't fit our defense all that great anymore with Snacks here. He played the 1T, which he was very good at, but Snacks is simply better at it. Putting him at 3T resulted in the down year we saw last year. It might be better for the Giants to move on and have Bromley, a more natural, penetrating 3T, take over next to Snacks.

Hankins is still a good player, but he needs to be in a system where he can succeed and he needs to drop his asking price, and he will if he wants to be signed anywhere soon.

1st yr head coaches rarely see success their 1st yr, if at all.
TheRealMcCoy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
He's looking for more than he is going to get. Also, to be honest, he doesn't fit our defense all that great anymore with Snacks here. He played the 1T, which he was very good at, but Snacks is simply better at it. Putting him at 3T resulted in the down year we saw last year. It might be better for the Giants to move on and have Bromley, a more natural, penetrating 3T, take over next to Snacks.

Hankins is still a good player, but he needs to be in a system where he can succeed and he needs to drop his asking price, and he will if he wants to be signed anywhere soon.

Yep. His best play was at the 1T as a run stuffer that can also get after the passer pretty well for a guy his size.

Put him next to an explosive 3T like Fletcher Cox and he would thrive. Twisted Evil
Gmen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Giants simply can't afford him considering the money they're already dishing out to Vernon, Harrison and JPP on that D-line. Then if you factor in contracts we'll be dishing out to guys like OBJ, Collins and Pugh in the upcoming years, we definitely can't afford him at his asking price. He'll be a good player for another team and it's a shame to see him walk, but I'd rather get a quicker, penetrating DT to complement Snacks anyway.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
minutemancl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
The Giants simply can't afford him considering the money they're already dishing out to Vernon, Harrison and JPP on that D-line. Then if you factor in contracts we'll be dishing out to guys like OBJ, Collins and Pugh in the upcoming years, we definitely can't afford him at his asking price. He'll be a good player for another team and it's a shame to see him walk, but I'd rather get a quicker, penetrating DT to complement Snacks anyway.

I was watching back games of last year and Bromley gets no credit for the great job he did last year. He and Robert Thomas were more productive than Hankins was last year.

1st yr head coaches rarely see success their 1st yr, if at all.
Jlash

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
Gmen wrote:

I was watching back games of last year and Bromley gets no credit for the great job he did last year. He and Robert Thomas were more productive than Hankins was last year.

ESPN put up a stat a couple days ago on a list of current FAs, and regarding Hankins it showed the Giants run D was significantly better with him in it than without him. He's really good at what he does.

edit: This also from ESPN:

Quote:
Over the last three years, Hankins has 23 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks and two forced fumbles when lined up as a left or right defensive tackle. The other players with 20 or more tackles for loss, at least nine sacks and multiple forced fumbles from a defensive tackle position are Aaron Donald, Geno Atkins, Campbell, Kawann Short and Gerald McCoy.

All but Hankins are making at least $10 million in guaranteed money.

The guys he's grouped with are all making $10 mil/year. So him asking for 8 isn't crazy to me.

edit: Contradicting an earlier report, it sounds like Hankins is asking for 10+ mil/year on a multi year deal.

Last edited by Jlash on Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
reckless123

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
Gmen wrote:

In defense of Hankins, for one his impact on the run game is immeasurable. We can't just put Bromley there and expect us to be better at run defense or as nearly as good. Secondly Hankins snap count was 3x more than that Bromley and Thomas was barely on the field. For a man of his size he was in on a crazy amount of snaps, even moreso than Snacks. On top of that he was coming off a pretty serious injury. Losing Hankins would be a big miss.

"I'm not in danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
TheRealMcCoy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
minutemancl wrote:
Gmen wrote:

In defense of Hankins, for one his impact on the run game is immeasurable. We can't just put Bromley there and expect us to be better at run defense or as nearly as good. Secondly Hankins snap count was 3x more than that Bromley and Thomas was barely on the field. For a man of his size he was in on a crazy amount of snaps, even moreso than Snacks. On top of that he was coming off a pretty serious injury. Losing Hankins would be a big miss.

Yeah, I think he's really underrating Hankins.

The NFL1000 Project had Hankins ranked as the 17th best DT in the league and that was in a down year where he played out of position.

Dude deserves to be paid by a team that can use him as a 1T. That team obviously isn't the Giants, because they gave big money to Harrison (ranked as the 13th best DT) to play there like some of you have said.

Also, he is very young for a guy coming off their rookie deal. He is barely turning 25 years old later this month.

Whatever team ends up with him is going to be very happy just like the Vikings are now with Linval Joseph.
TheRealMcCoy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jordan Raanan‏ @JordanRaanan
Reached out to sources around league and found that DT Johnathan Hankins is asking for A LOT of money. A lot as in more than $10M per year.

Don't think he gets this on a long term deal though.
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRealMcCoy wrote:
Quote:
Jordan Raanan‏ @JordanRaanan
Reached out to sources around league and found that DT Johnathan Hankins is asking for A LOT of money. A lot as in more than $10M per year.

Don't think he gets this on a long term deal though.

I think that's a major reason why no one has brought him in. He values himself higher than the league does. I wouldn't mind giving him 5-6 on a one year deal, but $10M is a hard no.
GMENNATION

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a very good player and I don't want to see him go but I guess the difference with him vs. other top tackles is that he is not a game wrecker. This is just eye-test from my perspective but you never see/hear him just absolutely going off.

He deserves close to top money based off overall production and his age but I think the market is just not valuing DTs at much these days.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMENNATION wrote:
He is a very good player and I don't want to see him go but I guess the difference with him vs. other top tackles is that he is not a game wrecker. This is just eye-test from my perspective but you never see/hear him just absolutely going off.

He deserves close to top money based off overall production and his age but I think the market is just not valuing DTs at much these days.

He's never gonna be an impactful pass rusher. He wrecks the run game and like other have said he was playing a bit out of position

"I'm not in danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
bucsEST96

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Giants would like DT Johnathan Hankins back, but probably won't offer him more than $4MM:

profootballrumors.com/2017/03/nfc-no…

New LT [ ]
Micha Hyde[ ]
Dontrelle Inman [ ]
Calais Campbell [ ]
Malcolm Smith [ ]
Mike Gillislee[ ]
redsoxsuck05

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucsEST96 wrote:
Quote:
The Giants would like DT Johnathan Hankins back, but probably won't offer him more than $4MM:

profootballrumors.com/2017/03/nfc-no…

Yeesh...

aceinthehouse wrote:
"I made this topic post because none of my crap comes true."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: