Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers reportedly sign WR- Justin Hunter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Steelers reportedly sign WR- Justin Hunter Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000793206/article/free-agency-day-7-justin-hunter-joining-steelers

I like the under the radar move. I was intrigued by Hunter coming out of the draft for his athleticism. He was an underachiever as I recall in college but seemed to come on towards the end of his college career. Perhaps the Steelers experience with another receiver that didn't quite meet expectations (DHB) makes them more comfortable with the possibilities. Depending on the contract, I imagine there is little to lose from their perspective.

Hunters combine results/profile
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/justin-hunter?id=2540151

He will turn 26 on May 20th.

Highlights from 2015 Titans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFeTIvOKTgs

Last edited by JustPlainNasty on Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
warfelg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our WRs now fit into one of two groups:

Small quick twitch WRs - Brown, Rogers, Hamilton
Tall long stride WRs - Coats, DHB, Hunter

Pot smokers - Bryant, but if he were reinstated we know where he would fit.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:

Hamilton isn't much of a small, quick twitch WR. He's a tall, plodding possession WR.

Deadpulse on the sig
armsteeld

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Size/speed prospect and I also liked him at Tennessee. Seems like they Are gearing up in case Martavis has another lapse. If reinstatement happens, I would dangle Bryant out for trade.

A guy to keep an eye on is Isiah Avery "Zay" Jones from RCU. Remember Scottie Montgomery was Coach Tomlin's WR coach, is now EVU's Head Coach. You know the Steelers have inside info plus Zay can play ANY WR position. That is something it normally takes WRs years to master and some never do learn other positions. A sleeper pick in the 2nd round to watch.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
warfelg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOSteelers56 wrote:
warfelg wrote:

Hamilton isn't much of a small, quick twitch WR. He's a tall, plodding possession WR.

My bad. He looks smaller than he is on the field.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
JPeezy55

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
Size/speed prospect and I also liked him at Tennessee. Seems like they Are gearing up in case Martavis has another lapse. If reinstatement happens, I would dangle Bryant out for trade.

A guy to keep an eye on is Isiah Avery "Zay" Jones from RCU. Remember Scottie Montgomery was Coach Tomlin's WR coach, is now EVU's Head Coach. You know the Steelers have inside info plus Zay can play ANY WR position. That is something it normally takes WRs years to master and some never do learn other positions. A sleeper pick in the 2nd round to watch.

Why??

Surely what you'd get in return wouldn't be nearly enough value to lose a guy of his talent (potential)

Also, move Hamilton to the other group and add DeMarcus Ayers to the quick twitch group. Really liked what he brought at the end of the year

Welcome to Sixburgh.
warfelg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPeezy55 wrote:
armsteeld wrote:

Why??

Surely what you'd get in return wouldn't be nearly enough value to lose a guy of his talent (potential)

Also, move Hamilton to the other group and add DeMarcus Ayers to the quick twitch group. Really liked what he brought at the end of the year

Yea. I guess my point really was the Hunter brings a skill to the table we already have a few times on the roster, so I'm not sure how he fits in unless guys are cut/traded. So while I won't hate on the signing it feels like duplicate for no reason.

Hahahahaha.

MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Hunter coming out. That being said, I'm not sure he makes the team.

If Bryant comes back we have:
AB
Bryant
Eli Rogers
Demarcus Ayers
Sammie Coates
DHB

My guess is, he's insurance in case Bryant isn't reinstated or Coates' fingers are useless.

Deadpulse on the sig
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a Hunter fan when he came out of college. I liked both Hunter and Corderelle Patterson. That said, I think Hunter is a good under the radar move by the Steelers. He is a younger version of DHB and an insurance policy as MO Steelers 56 stated.

I think Hunter makes the team over DHB and possibly Sammy Coates. He is slightly younger than DHB and slightly older than Coates, but has the same skill sets and abilities as both. I think Hunter is a player who needs a change of pace. He can put some real pressure on Sammy Coates. I believe that because Coates is young, he will be given an opportunity whereas with DHB, he is a veteran and you pretty much know what you are getting from him.

It will play it in training camp, but I believe that Hunter can surprise and do some good things for the Steelers offense.
Dcash4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
JPeezy55 wrote:
armsteeld wrote:

Why??

Yea. I guess my point really was the Hunter brings a skill to the table we already have a few times on the roster, so I'm not sure how he fits in unless guys are cut/traded. So while I won't hate on the signing it feels like duplicate for no reason.

I would imagine the biggest need for the duplicate is what the loss of the field stretching receivers did to our passing game all of last year. Coates, Green, and even DHB help drive what this offense is capable of and when we did not have one of them in the lineup and fully healthy (Coates) our passing game took major steps back.

Averages with them: 9 Games (7-2) 287 yards, 2.5 TDs, 0.5 INT
Averages without: 5 games (3-2) 247 yards, 1.2 TD, 1.6 INTs

A bigger change in the offense was that ben lead the league last year in passing plays over 40 yards with 17. This year - he was 12th with 8. Sammie Coates had 6 of them and played 5 healthy games (tied for 1st in the league).

There has been a huge call for a #2 receiver, but honestly, we just needed one of those guys healthy to drive that bus and bring the flexibility to the offense.

I think Hunter just brings a better field stretching ability than Hamilton, is insurance for Bryants availability and Coates fingers, and potentially costs DHB his roster spot with Sammie taking all the ST duties.

All in all - its a pretty decent signing for a team that suffered some of the worst luck you could in one style of player.
warfelg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because we had bad luck with that last year doesn't mean you go out and sign another one of them.

I mean right now if I could trade off Hunter, Bryant, DHB, Coats for one guy that will be healthy and do it all day, I would do it as opposed to signing another one.

I mean just think about it with Brown, Rogers, Ayers, Hamilton, Hunter, Bryant, DHB, Coats at least 2 of them are going, and since we never carry more than 5 WR's likely a 3rd would not dress game after game. So if the point is to carry as many as possible you have to short yourself elsewhere on the roster.

Which is why to me this doesnt make sense unless you know Bryant isn't coming back and that you are going to cut DHB.

Hahahahaha.

Dcash4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
Just because we had bad luck with that last year doesn't mean you go out and sign another one of them.

I mean right now if I could trade off Hunter, Bryant, DHB, Coats for one guy that will be healthy and do it all day, I would do it as opposed to signing another one.

I mean just think about it with Brown, Rogers, Ayers, Hamilton, Hunter, Bryant, DHB, Coats at least 2 of them are going, and since we never carry more than 5 WR's likely a 3rd would not dress game after game. So if the point is to carry as many as possible you have to short yourself elsewhere on the roster.

Which is why to me this doesnt make sense unless you know Bryant isn't coming back and that you are going to cut DHB.

I mean its not that hard to envision a 5 from the list of receivers right now that contains Hunter.

AB, Rogers, Coates, Hunter, Ayers/Bryant.

If Bryant is back and they really like Ayers, especially for return ability, I could absolutely see a scenario where were carry 6.

We have carried 6 receivers before - Murphy and Brown most recently come to mind. But we also rarely have carried 4 TE's or 4 RB - both of which we have also done recently too. If the 6th guy is Ayers its much like the Rainey and Archer spots taken a few years back.

Hamilton and DHB are no where near locks for this roster. Hamilton isnt special in anyway and DHB is fairly redundant since Coates is pretty good at ST.

So that just leaves the other 6 as of now before the draft - one of which isn't even reinstated yet.

I could also envision a Rogers/Ayers battle if numbers are tight. Rogers is a decent player, but Ayers seems more dynamic.

If nothing else...this signing provides really solid competition to get the best group possible. At worst he is a cheap cut if we draft a guy or if Bryant is back and hunter isnt one of the best 5/6 making the squad. I just dont see the downside.
warfelg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly wouldn't count on Rogers with his issues of showing up on time, lacking practice habits, and other issues he's had.

Hahahahaha.

Magnus-Viktor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that signing. I too wanted him coming out of the draft. Just take a look at what he had to deal with so far in his career:

2013: rookie with Ryan Fitzpatrick (66%) and Jake Locker (34% of pass attempts)

2014: Charlie Whitehurst (185 attempts), Zach Mettenberger (179 attempts) and Jake Locker (146 attempts)

2015: Rookie Marcus Mariota with 370 attempts, Mettenberger with 166

2016: 12 games with Tyrod Taylor who only threw for 3023 yards on the season

One thing you saw out of him was a nearly 19 yard per catch average in 3 of 4 seasons. I like him a LOT more than I ever liked Coates or DHB.
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
I honestly wouldn't count on Rogers with his issues of showing up on time, lacking practice habits, and other issues he's had.

I think that is kind of unfair to say that Rogers is someone whom you cannot count on. I would understand that statement if you said Bryant or even Coates, moreso than Rogers. Eli was essentially a rookie last year and despite some mental mistakes on the field and in judgement in the locker room (missing the meeting/lateness to practice/meetings), he still did some good things development wise. I felt like Big Ben could have thrown to him more.

Rogers is a young guy and from what I understand, his missing a meeting/being late was not a "regular" occurrence. It happened, Coach T punished him (fine and reduced playing time) and then they all moved on from it. I heard nothing else about him doing that again later in the season. I don't know of any other issues that he has had off the field or on it since then.

Rogers is a solid slot guy and he will get all that he can from Ayers for the slot competition this season and a roster spot. he could help himself by locking up the punt return spot to get AB off of special teams.

Hunter has #2 potential, can fill the deep threat role of DHB and Coates, can play special teams, and is only signed for one year. Training camp will separate these guys as it should. I think they will keep 5-6 WR's this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: