Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jeremy Zuttah traded to 49ers for 6th round pick swap
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro Bowl center for moving back 12 spots in the 6th round. I'll take that
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowledge wrote:

It irks me when people try to wave this like it's some huge flag of honor. Zuttah was a Pro Bowl alternate this past year (the only year he's even been voted to the PB), meaning he was the 3rd-highest vote-getter in the AFC (because the votes were conference specific, so it really only speaks to ranking within that one conference, not league-wide)... in a year where at least one of the perennial AFC Pro Bowl centers (Mangold) was out injured a majority of the time, another of the perennial AFC PB centers (Mack) had been traded to the NFC (and made the PB in that conference), and the Pro Bowl center in the AFC from the previous year was out with a broken leg (Eric Wood).

Now Zuttah may well be a good average center and the value on the trade is probably good for that. But, given the above, he was a Pro Bowler last year almost by default - so using that to prop up his value feels a bit disingenuous.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OleXmad wrote:
A same round swap for a player? Jeez that's bad...Every ravens fan trashes on Zuttah but he's still one of the better centers in the league.

Oh well cap space, Yay.

Not sure he cracks the Top 10. So he's maybe in the upper 30th-percentile?

Frederick
Mack
Hudson
Pouncey (Maurkice)
Mangold (until his performance falls off a cliff he gets the benefit of the doubt over someone like Zuttah)
Kalil
Wood
Unger
Jones (who had a better case for the Pro Bowl than Zuttah did last season)
Kelce

That's 10 right there who've shown to be clearly better than Zuttah. And that leaves out guys like Matt Paradis, Travis Swanson, and Corey Linsley who arguably had a better season than Zuttah did last year.

Zuttah's one of those guys that, at least to me, is like Matt Slauson at center (which makes sense because they're both more natural guards being asked to play center) - kind of serviceable, but the kind of guy you're always going to be looking to upgrade from if you get the chance.

MathMan wrote:
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Zuttah's one of those guys that, at least to me, is like Matt Slauson at center (which makes sense because they're both more natural guards being asked to play center) - kind of serviceable, but the kind of guy you're always going to be looking to upgrade from if you get the chance.

We didn't get a chance to upgrade. We have no good solution on the roster and got rid of a starter at a pretty key spot on the offensive line who's salary was only $3.5M. On top of that, pretty much all of us predicted this cut would happen. That should tell you what his play was like.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowledge wrote:

he was awful

Thomas5737 wrote:

. . . Flacco is right. . .
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
He might not be very good, but do the Ravens even have another serviceable Center on the roster?

We have the same # of serviceable centers as we did yesterday.

John Usrchel (the MIT PHD guy you see playing chess in the commercials) will likely get the first shot at the job. Urschel seems to have respect in the building, but I have some doubts about his strength at the point of attack as well. I'd rather find out with him, then stick with Zuttah another year, for sure.

I expect to draft someone too. Ethan Pocic would be a an awesome pick if we can get him in the second or third to add size to the interior, which is something Ozzie stated as a goal earlier this offseason.

Every time I see that commercial I'm like who the hell is this guy...lol

I don't get how he made PB if he's that bad, I didn't see enough BAL but I kind of know Zuttah as a player. Do they put PFF grades next to the voting nowadays lol. If not, they probably will soon..............
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:

I don't get how he made PB if he's that bad, I didn't see enough BAL but I kind of know Zuttah as a player.

Zuttah wasn't terrible in the ZBS, but once Kubiak left he was hot garbage.

We legit laughed in our forum (I was busy laughing IRL) when it was announced. Thought it must have been a fluke. We've been clamoring for him to be replaced for a solid year+.

Thomas5737 wrote:

. . . Flacco is right. . .
Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Knowledge wrote:

It irks me when people try to wave this like it's some huge flag of honor. Zuttah was a Pro Bowl alternate this past year (the only year he's even been voted to the PB), meaning he was the 3rd-highest vote-getter in the AFC (because the votes were conference specific, so it really only speaks to ranking within that one conference, not league-wide)... in a year where at least one of the perennial AFC Pro Bowl centers (Mangold) was out injured a majority of the time, another of the perennial AFC PB centers (Mack) had been traded to the NFC (and made the PB in that conference), and the Pro Bowl center in the AFC from the previous year was out with a broken leg (Eric Wood).

Now Zuttah may well be a good average center and the value on the trade is probably good for that. But, given the above, he was a Pro Bowler last year almost by default - so using that to prop up his value feels a bit disingenuous.

Its a fact whichever way you want to spin it
OleXmad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowledge wrote:
The LBC wrote:
Knowledge wrote:

Insert alternative facts joke here, While it is a fact I'll admit Zuttah did not deserve to go to the pro bowl he's more of a "Someone has to go" player that got lucky than anything else, still he was a serviceable starter that the ravens aren't going to replace easily.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty league, PM me for a co-owner role.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OleXmad wrote:
Insert alternative facts joke here, While it is a fact I'll admit Zuttah did not deserve to go to the pro bowl he's more of a "Someone has to go" player that got lucky than anything else, still he was a serviceable starter that the ravens aren't going to replace easily.

Yeah, two years ago.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OleXmad wrote:
Knowledge wrote:
The LBC wrote:
Knowledge wrote:

Yeah, I mean, Zuttah making the Pro Bowl as an alternate was more an indictment of how injured and otherwise poor the rest of the centers in the AFC were last year (i.e. Bodine, Slauson, Mike Pouncey not-so-arguably had a down year, Cam Erving, Ryan Kelly, Linder).

Like I said, had any of Ben Jones, Nick Mangold, or Eric Wood been healthy at the time of voting (Mangold, I believe may have just come back off injury in the middle of voting and got injured again before season's end), we're not even having this discussion. Particularly if Jones didn't get injured late in the season - because he had a legitimate case to challenge Maurkice Pouncey for that 2nd spot, and that's saying something because Pouncey had a really good season.

MathMan wrote:
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:

I don't get how he made PB if he's that bad, I didn't see enough BAL but I kind of know Zuttah as a player.

Zuttah wasn't terrible in the ZBS, but once Kubiak left he was hot garbage.

We legit laughed in our forum (I was busy laughing IRL) when it was announced. Thought it must have been a fluke. We've been clamoring for him to be replaced for a solid year+.

I'm hoping that he's simply a better fit for Kyle Shanahan than he was for the ravens. In any case, he should beat out the competition in San Fran, and his presence won't stop us from drafting anyone better, if we have the chance.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: