Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings Sign DE/UT Datone Jones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
I don't think Jones would have any problem bulking up to 295+. With his athleticism and length he could be a real threat as a 1-gap UT.

I think MN will want to keep him at the 280 pound range. LE would be his position in base, but I think he will just be a nickel pass rusher for us.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Heimdallr wrote:
I don't think Jones would have any problem bulking up to 295+. With his athleticism and length he could be a real threat as a 1-gap UT.

I think MN will want to keep him at the 280 pound range. LE would be his position in base, but I think he will just be a nickel pass rusher for us.

Mainly a LE/ $.05 pass rusher. But Zimmer usually uses the front 7 in several ways. Perhaps he'd also be used as a SLB on a large TE not thought to be a great pass receiver?
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kparty69 wrote:
Jones is not a DT. Jones is a pure 4-3 LDE that has the potential to occasionally move inside to UT on passing downs, similar to how Robison does. I don't see Jones pushing Floyd for a roster spot because he is not a full time interior DL player. I also don't see a situation where Jones plays linebacker for us unless it is an emergency or a situation to disguise blitzes with the LDE dropping into a zone. He doesn't do much in coverage and is much more of a pass rusher. He is an ideal replacement on our roster for Robison who will turn 34 in April as a third DE. I think he is a much better fit in Zimmer's defense than Robison because with his size he will be able to hold up better against the run than Robison can. I can see him being a similar player to Kenechi Udeze in a 4-3.

I tend to believe more along these lines. I don't view him as competing with Sharrif Floyd, I view him as competing with Brian Robison as the 3rd DE behind Griffen/Hunter and can move to DT as a 3rd down pass rusher.

Thx to Lil Uno!
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Datone Jones has increased his snaps played, defensive stops + total pressures generated every season of his NFL career.

Hopefully he can keep it up!

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
Datone Jones has increased his snaps played, defensive stops + total pressures generated every season of his NFL career.

I remember when Brian Robison either led the league, or was very high on the list in total pressures for a few years straight. He was always able to get pressure, but never could turn it into sacks. But Jared Allen and Kevin Williams benefited greatly from those hurries.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
kparty69 wrote:
Jones is not a DT. Jones is a pure 4-3 LDE that has the potential to occasionally move inside to UT on passing downs, similar to how Robison does. I don't see Jones pushing Floyd for a roster spot because he is not a full time interior DL player. I also don't see a situation where Jones plays linebacker for us unless it is an emergency or a situation to disguise blitzes with the LDE dropping into a zone. He doesn't do much in coverage and is much more of a pass rusher. He is an ideal replacement on our roster for Robison who will turn 34 in April as a third DE. I think he is a much better fit in Zimmer's defense than Robison because with his size he will be able to hold up better against the run than Robison can. I can see him being a similar player to Kenechi Udeze in a 4-3.

I tend to believe more along these lines. I don't view him as competing with Sharrif Floyd, I view him as competing with Brian Robison as the 3rd DE behind Griffen/Hunter and can move to DT as a 3rd down pass rusher.

You all have convinced me....
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It remains to be seen where exactly will be the best fit on Minnesota’s defense for Jones, who could make up to $5 million next season when incentives are included. In addition to playing defensive end, he also could see time at three-technique defensive tackle.

Jones: “Oh, most definitely. For me, I think I fit that role.’’

Jones is listed at 6-foot-4, 283 pounds. However, he lost about 15 pounds before last season to play outside linebacker in Green Bay’s 3-4 scheme. He hired a personal chef and said he made a “total diet change.’’ Jones won’t play any linebacker with the Vikings, saying he figures they will want him to bulk back up. He declined to say what he now weighs.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/14/datone-jones-hungry-to-sack-aaron-rodgers-after-leaving-packers-for-vikings/

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:

A depth signing. Datone is just an ok rotational player but he was not a bad signing because he did get slightly better last year.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
GB OLBs in pressures/pass rush
Datone Jones: 1 pressure per 4.7 rushes
Julius Peppers: 1 in 8.5
Nick Perry: 1 in 10.5
Clay Matthews: 1 in 20.5

Clay Matthews just isn't good anymore and they pay him all that money. Dumb move.

Jones well benefit having better talent around him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: