Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pats acquire Rex Burkhead (RB)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoJo63

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Burkhead has had plenty of touches on the NFL. Definitely enough to get a feel for his skill set

Last edited by MoJo63 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluemushrooms

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He only signed a 1 year deal.

-Sig made by BenderRodriguez

2016 Adopt a Patriot: LeGarrette Blount
2015 Adopt a Patriot: James White

FirstDownFaulk wrote:
Chimdi is Love. Chekwa is Life.
1ForTheThumb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is claiming we got Walter Payton, you're overreacting.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluemushrooms wrote:

Smells like a prove it deal. Instead of a 2-3 year moderate to low dollar de, give him a 1 year deal where he's likely to get a lot of touches in a system which is ideal for him.

Makes sense for the team and for him. If he works out well, you can re-sign or extend him and move on from White or Lewis before 2018
MoJo63

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
bluemushrooms wrote:

Smells like a prove it deal. Instead of a 2-3 year moderate to low dollar de, give him a 1 year deal where he's likely to get a lot of touches in a system which is ideal for him.

Makes sense for the team and for him. If he works out well, you can re-sign or extend him and move on from White or Lewis before 2018

Exactly and in part in fact mostly why I feel there is nothing here to proclaim this as some great signing, it is what it is an experiment for future considerations. If he pans out great, if not, mehhh nothing ventured nothing gained.
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over $3 million for that 1 year. Most expensive back we've had in a while?

Rappaport saying this is a "team friendly" deal and that Burkhead left a lot on the table to sign with New England.

Mack on the sig
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatriotsWin! wrote:
Over $3 million for that 1 year. Most expensive back we've had in a while?

Rappaport saying this is a "team friendly" deal and that Burkhead left a lot on the table to sign with New England.

He could be the highest paid back since Fred Taylor in 2010

Sigs-Taking Requests
2016 Adpot-A-Patriot: Jimmy Garropolo
70% 496yds 4 TD 0 INT 117.1 PR
patsfan06

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems unlikely the Pats sign another RB after spending $3.1M on Burkhead.

Wouldn't hate drafting another RB and moving on from the position for the year.
theJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burkhead left Cincinnati because he couldn't get work on the offense. I'm sure he signed with the Pats because they're promising him he'll be used extensively in the offense.

He's going to be a stud. He is a stud. You guys will love him.

~T.S. Eliot
theJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo63 wrote:
keysersoze3421 wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:
keysersoze3421 wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:
1ForTheThumb wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:
I really don't understand why so many are enamored with this pick. He was basically 3rd on the depth chart on a less than spectacular team. He has been in the league four years and his totals are 375 Yards rushing on 87 carries he's got 288 Rec yards on 34 receptions he's got 4 TDs 2 fumbles. Again I just don't see where he is an upgrade to any RB on the roster less Bolden whom we all know is pretty much relegated to ST

What he does elsewhere doesn't equate to what he will do here. I mean, just look at Bengals fans coming in here and posting how he was their best runner. Sometimes coaches get to caught up in where certain players were drafted (Hill, Benard) and Belichick doesn't care about that.

Yeah yeah maybe but again right now as it stands right now I don't see him as an upgrade to any RB in our stable. I am not implying he can't be I just don't understand the love fest taking place over a guy that for the most part has done nothing.

You haven't watched him, clearly. Most Bengals fans would agree that he was their best overall back. He was a much better pass catcher than Hill and a much better runner than Bernard. He has the potential to be a more effective every down back than anyone currently on the market.

Also, on an unrelated note, have you heard of punctuation?

And neither have you because he is 3rd on the depth chart. No one has really watched him. Point is a lot of people are enamored with this pick and he has done nothing in the league, it's not hard to understand.

As for punctuation, really dude who the hell are you the grammar police? Just a really stupid thing to say.

Yes, I used to be a grammar policeman, but I recently retired for the pension. Stressful job.

It makes your posts difficult to read. It wouldn't require much additional effort.

I've watched his games of heavy utilization. He had almost 100 touches this year, which is plenty on which to base an opinion, and at every level he looked better than either Hill or Bernard. To boot, he was a very effective runner in college as well. It's not like he came out of nowhere. Just because they were on the depth chart in front of him doesn't mean much. People are enamored with it because they've seen his talent level, and his contract is a 1-year deal, which affords the Patriots the ability to see his upside at a cheap cost. Additionally, he's beloved by teammates and coaches. By all accounts, he works really hard and did not complain about his lack of utilization in his first three years.

Then don't read them I am not here to please you or make yout life any more convenient. The fact you felt compelled to mention it tells me a lot.

So in the end from what you can tell he's a swell guy we got on the cheap and can cut loose if he doesn't seem to pan out. That makes sense to me but as I stated IMO he's not an upgrade to any RB on the current roster, at least not from again the limited data we have on him.

If you like him fine if you like the prospect of him better I think this is more of a let's wait and see signing than it is a " Hey we just got Walter Payton in his hey day signing"

He's had enough touches in enough scenarios for the people that follow the team to know he's going to do great. The reason he was buried as the #3 is because of draft status. Hill and Bernard had status. Burkhead didn't. Hill should have been benched in mid-2015 for Burkhead. That much was obvious when Burkhead took over late last year.

~T.S. Eliot
MoJo63

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:
keysersoze3421 wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:
keysersoze3421 wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:
1ForTheThumb wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:
I really don't understand why so many are enamored with this pick. He was basically 3rd on the depth chart on a less than spectacular team. He has been in the league four years and his totals are 375 Yards rushing on 87 carries he's got 288 Rec yards on 34 receptions he's got 4 TDs 2 fumbles. Again I just don't see where he is an upgrade to any RB on the roster less Bolden whom we all know is pretty much relegated to ST

What he does elsewhere doesn't equate to what he will do here. I mean, just look at Bengals fans coming in here and posting how he was their best runner. Sometimes coaches get to caught up in where certain players were drafted (Hill, Benard) and Belichick doesn't care about that.

Yeah yeah maybe but again right now as it stands right now I don't see him as an upgrade to any RB in our stable. I am not implying he can't be I just don't understand the love fest taking place over a guy that for the most part has done nothing.

You haven't watched him, clearly. Most Bengals fans would agree that he was their best overall back. He was a much better pass catcher than Hill and a much better runner than Bernard. He has the potential to be a more effective every down back than anyone currently on the market.

Also, on an unrelated note, have you heard of punctuation?

And neither have you because he is 3rd on the depth chart. No one has really watched him. Point is a lot of people are enamored with this pick and he has done nothing in the league, it's not hard to understand.

As for punctuation, really dude who the hell are you the grammar police? Just a really stupid thing to say.

Yes, I used to be a grammar policeman, but I recently retired for the pension. Stressful job.

It makes your posts difficult to read. It wouldn't require much additional effort.

I've watched his games of heavy utilization. He had almost 100 touches this year, which is plenty on which to base an opinion, and at every level he looked better than either Hill or Bernard. To boot, he was a very effective runner in college as well. It's not like he came out of nowhere. Just because they were on the depth chart in front of him doesn't mean much. People are enamored with it because they've seen his talent level, and his contract is a 1-year deal, which affords the Patriots the ability to see his upside at a cheap cost. Additionally, he's beloved by teammates and coaches. By all accounts, he works really hard and did not complain about his lack of utilization in his first three years.

Then don't read them I am not here to please you or make yout life any more convenient. The fact you felt compelled to mention it tells me a lot.

So in the end from what you can tell he's a swell guy we got on the cheap and can cut loose if he doesn't seem to pan out. That makes sense to me but as I stated IMO he's not an upgrade to any RB on the current roster, at least not from again the limited data we have on him.

If you like him fine if you like the prospect of him better I think this is more of a let's wait and see signing than it is a " Hey we just got Walter Payton in his hey day signing"

He's had enough touches in enough scenarios for the people that follow the team to know he's going to do great. The reason he was buried as the #3 is because of draft status. Hill and Bernard had status. Burkhead didn't. Hill should have been benched in mid-2015 for Burkhead. That much was obvious when Burkhead took over late last year.

Sure okay
keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, why are you so stubbornly and adamantly against what every Bengals fan is saying? No one's taking an unreasonable position here. No one said, "Rex Burkhead will be Walter Payton." I think many of us feel that Burkhead: (1) has untapped potential; (2) has low mileage; (3) possesses a good skillset as both a pass catcher and a runner; (4) is a good locker room presence liked by coaches and players alike; and (5) is probably an overall upgrade to Blount. Those are all perfectly legitimate reasons.

animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.
theJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo63 wrote:
Sure okay

Did Rex steal your GF or shoot your dog or something?

~T.S. Eliot
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:
Sure okay

Did Rex steal your GF or shoot your dog or something?

Red Sox, Pistons, Tar Heels Basketball, Crimson Tide Football, Bruins Hockey, Tottenham Hotspur
*Adopt a Sox: Andrew Benintendi*
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan06 wrote:
Seems unlikely the Pats sign another RB after spending $3.1M on Burkhead.

Wouldn't hate drafting another RB and moving on from the position for the year.

How often do FA's re-sign with a team that signed them to a one-year deal? I can't imagine it's that common, especially with the Pats.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: