Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft Needs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maverick41

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Draft Needs Reply with quote

Howdy.

In the process of preparing my mock drafts for the next six weeks. What would you say are the three or four most pressing needs for your team ranked in order of most to least?

Thanks!

bossvegas wrote:
to be fair some people just don't like traffic signs
Forge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much everything, but it's all relative to what's available too. Quarterback would always be the biggest need because of the vlaue, but there's not one there worth #2, and I don't think that we go that way. Linebacker is a need, but after his combine meltdown, I think Foster punted his way out of the potential #2 overall pick.

Corner or safety could be a need depending on what we do with Ward, and obviously, there is premium talent there which would be acceptable for #2. We need a tight end, but we aren't drafting one that high. Interior line is a problem, but the highest guy there probably isn't going until the tail end of round one or early round 2. Wide receiver is a need, but again, I don't think any of them are worth #2.

We need an edge rusher in the LEO spot and this is probably where we will land. Most of us, and it seems, most of the mock draft community, have us slated for Solomon Thomas at this point. Makes a ton of sense. So I think just put that into your mock and you're good to go for us in round one.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
rudyZ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most important pressing needs, in my opinion: Pass rusher, QB, WR.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass Rusher, and QB are at the top for me, then WR, Safety, and WLB are in that next tier, then OL, DT, and CB are in that next group.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
Pass Rusher, and QB are at the top for me, then WR, Safety, and WLB are in that next tier, then OL, DT, and CB are in that next group.

We definitely need a RB. Add TE, G and C, and start thinking about Staley's slide into the over-the-hill range and you'be got just about every position on the team as a need.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:

We definitely need a RB. Add TE, G and C, and start thinking about Staley's slide into the over-the-hill range and you'be got just about every position on the team as a need.

Yep. And that's why at no point should we be drafting for need. Take the best players available to you at every point in the draft as odds are, they will offer to fill some sort of need.

48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:

I think Juszczyk mitigates our need for a RB a little bit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:

Not sure if you're being facetious or serious

big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:

Really? Shannahan seems to be molding this team into the kind of roster they had at Atlanta. Look at their RBs. I see a few 3rd or 4th round guys that would make nice targets for us (especially now that we signed a backup center). I don't expect any of last year's backs other than Hyde to be back with the team next year.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juszczyk can do just about everything better than a backup RB would other than actually carrying the ball. He would line up in the backfield for the ravens in single back sets. He was able to take a handoff on draw plays and get yards although thats not what I'm counting on. Thats why I say he mitigates our need for a RB a little bit. We'll still need to add another to the roster but there a role he can play that allows us to not stress so much about the backup RB.

I still have 9+ positions that are of higher need than RB right now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
Juszczyk can do just about everything better than a backup RB would other than actually carrying the ball. He would line up in the backfield for the ravens in single back sets. He was able to take a handoff on draw plays and get yards although thats not what I'm counting on. Thats why I say he mitigates our need for a RB a little bit. We'll still need to add another to the roster but there a role he can play that allows us to not stress so much about the backup RB.

I agree that there are more pressing areas to address than RB, but it's not because of Juszczyk. The Shanahan's track record for finding RBs and getting production out of them speaks for itself, in my opinion. Whether it's this year or next, I'm certain Kylo will manage to find a bargain at the position who will more than satiate our appetites.

y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:

I agree that there are more pressing areas to address than RB, but it's not because of Juszczyk. The Shanahan's track record for finding RBs and getting production out of them speaks for itself, in my opinion. Whether it's this year or next, I'm certain Kylo will manage to find a bargain at the position who will more than satiate our appetites.

I agree that it's likely we'll be able to find a RB gem later in the draft, but it's absolutely still a top need regardless of what Juszczyk can or cannot do. Juszczyk certainly isn't going to be the top RB when Hyde inevitably misses time due to injury, and he's certainly not going to be the back to spell Hyde when Hyde needs to rest during the game. Both of those roles will be filled by the backup RB. This person is not currently on the team, unless someone wants to consider Mike Davis a serious #2 back(he's not).

Hence, the backup RB is incredibly important (since he will be the 2nd starting RB), although I have few doubts about finding said individual later on in the draft.

Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I have higher expectations for Hyde. But mostly higher expectations for the role Juszczyk is going to have. I expect him to be on the field more than Hyde, I expect 5-8 touches a game, and I expect him to be one of the more valuable pieces of our offense. I expect our backup RB to average around the same amount of touches too and some games probably more. But that's not that as big of a need as 9 other positions for me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:

I agree that it's likely we'll be able to find a RB gem later in the draft, but it's absolutely still a top need regardless of what Juszczyk can or cannot do. Juszczyk certainly isn't going to be the top RB when Hyde inevitably misses time due to injury, and he's certainly not going to be the back to spell Hyde when Hyde needs to rest during the game. Both of those roles will be filled by the backup RB. This person is not currently on the team, unless someone wants to consider Mike Davis a serious #2 back(he's not).

Hence, the backup RB is incredibly important (since he will be the 2nd starting RB), although I have few doubts about finding said individual later on in the draft.

I'm really not in a hurry to fill that spot, personally, simply because we're not in "win now" mode. Realistically, we'll probably, almost assuredly, draft a HB in this draft. But if we do not, I don't care. There are other positions that require more seasoning, more refinement. A pass rusher can have an early impact, but will usually reach another level after a year or two. An OL will usually have growing pains. A WR, a QB, a LB. Those are the types of players that I feel would benefit from making mistakes this year (okay, maybe not a QB... he can sit a year). But a HB, I feel like when you got one, he can play. Maybe he won't be great at blitz pick-up, but we can mitigate that with substitutions. If your HB can't run in year 1, he probably won't be able to produce in year 2 or 3 either. You tend to know very fast what you have. So, if we don't take one this year, whenever we do get one, he won't hold us back, in case we have progressed enough to compete.

So, in terms of long term team building, to me, HB isn't a top priority. To me, it's always been pass rusher, QB and WR. I think we cannot compete without seriously addressing all three of those.

y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:

I'm really not in a hurry to fill that spot, personally, simply because we're not in "win now" mode. Realistically, we'll probably, almost assuredly, draft a HB in this draft. But if we do not, I don't care. There are other positions that require more seasoning, more refinement. A pass rusher can have an early impact, but will usually reach another level after a year or two. An OL will usually have growing pains. A WR, a QB, a LB. Those are the types of players that I feel would benefit from making mistakes this year (okay, maybe not a QB... he can sit a year). But a HB, I feel like when you got one, he can play. Maybe he won't be great at blitz pick-up, but we can mitigate that with substitutions. If your HB can't run in year 1, he probably won't be able to produce in year 2 or 3 either. You tend to know very fast what you have. So, if we don't take one this year, whenever we do get one, he won't hold us back, in case we have progressed enough to compete.

So, in terms of long term team building, to me, HB isn't a top priority. To me, it's always been pass rusher, QB and WR. I think we cannot compete without seriously addressing all three of those.

Well, unless we pick up another free agent, drafting someone is a must. We only have 2 HBs on the roster. Hyde and Davis. Davis is awful. Hyde is going to be a 26 year old back that has never played a full season, in the final year of his contract, and is a guy most agree you can't invest in long-term.

We almost have to draft someone.

Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: