Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft Needs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank-O

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm okay with Barclay getting some reps at RG but I'd lose my [inappropriate/removed] if I had to see him at T again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smetana34 wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:
smetana34 wrote:
byzr wrote:

G losing Lang and Sitton in 6 months has really depleted the guard position. I'm fine with taking a guy in the first at this point.

The offensive line starters are set. If Thompson blows a 1st on a backup guard, I'll be upset.

So you have Barclay at RG?

You don't waste 3 picks to move up and take Spriggs only for him to be a swing tackle yet again. Either he or Bulaga will kick inside. Bulaga hasn't shown any reason to be moved, so Spriggs will start inside and kick out if an injury arises.

With Bulaga getting a little older he might be the one to move inside this coming season.
Pugger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:
if spriggs is given a chance to compete with Barclay, he will win the job. It's pretty much that simple.

If Spriggs is in the same ballpark as Barclay in T.C. he will win. That part is simple. Hope to God he isn't well below him. Unless that means DB is the next Sitton or something...

From everything I've heard/read Spriggs isn't built to be a guard. It might not hurt to take one after the 3rd round. Ted is pretty good at finding O line gems in the later rounds.
CWood21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skibrett15 wrote:
if spriggs is given a chance to compete with Barclay, he will win the job. It's pretty much that simple.

Does anyone truly believe that Ted isn't going to draft an OL this year? I mean, even if you play a pure numbers game we're still at least two bodies short of having nine.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Bak and Bulaga have missed a few games and its reasonably likely they will again.
Spriggs is the swing tackle and he needs reps on both sides so he's ready to roll for the regular season. Tretter is gone, Barclay sucks at OT

If you slot Spriggs as the RG starter, then if either OT gets dinged, you're moving 2 guys.
Spriggs moves to cover OT and a new RG comes in to cover his spot.
It just doesn't seem like a sound strategy in terms of OL continuity and the development of Spriggs into an NFL OT - which is why they moved up to draft him.

I think CWood21 is right - they'll draft another convertible college OT and have a competition between the draft pick, Murphy, Lucas for RG.
mikemike778

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
I would say DL is more of a need than OL. They have enough guys that someone between Barclay, Murphy, Patrick, Spriggs/Bulaga can man the RG position.

On the other hand, while they may like that Price, Daniels, Lowry group you want a six man rotation on the DL, and their only other rostered DL are UDFA Brian Price and Letroy Guion (who is suspended for the first 4 weeks). That's not enough to go to camp with, let alone go to week 1 with.

Most of the time, we play 2 DL, why do you need 6 in the rotation ? Did we ever suit up 6 in a game last season. Clark and Lowry need more snaps. When Guion is back we are about right numbers wise - until then maybe slightly light but good chance to give players reps. DL isn't anywhere appraoching OL needs wise.

Having said that, is there is one thing TT can do it is find good interior linemen in rounds 4 and 5. With three picks in those rounds, if the board shakes up right then I'd be looking to take 2 of them there.
Cakeshoppe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like the idea of us having spend a 2nd, 4th, and 7th round pick on a guy who will spend his entire contract as a backup. If Spriggs is one of the top 5 OL on the team, he should play G. Draft a guy in the 4th/5th and let him, Spriggs, Barclay (lol) battle it out for the starting spot at G.

Spriggs looked more like a TE than an OL last year. I hope he's been eating well over and living in the weight room over the offseason.

svp wrote:
svp@svp superbowl

Bias Disclaimer: Green Bay Packers
PackyAttacky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cakeshoppe wrote:
Don't like the idea of us having spend a 2nd, 4th, and 7th round pick on a guy who will spend his entire contract as a backup. If Spriggs is one of the top 5 OL on the team, he should play G. Draft a guy in the 4th/5th and let him, Spriggs, Barclay (lol) battle it out for the starting spot at G.

Spriggs looked more like a TE than an OL last year. I hope he's been eating well over and living in the weight room over the offseason.

Spriggs pick made sense at the time, they were probably going to move on from Bakhtiari until he became a rock star, maybe they weren't sure they could retain him or they were preparing to move on from Bulaga who would always miss a few games. Finally when a tackle goes down in the past it would appear that McCarthy does not change his gameplan at all and just keeps going with what is working, so maybe we value depth tackle a lot higher than other teams.
CWood21

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
Both Bak and Bulaga have missed a few games and its reasonably likely they will again.
Spriggs is the swing tackle and he needs reps on both sides so he's ready to roll for the regular season. Tretter is gone, Barclay sucks at OT

You don't trade up for a swing tackle, there has to be an end game for Jason Spriggs. And that scenario is most likely one in which Bryan Bulaga ends up at guard.

PackFan4Life wrote:

bkobow05 wrote:
CWood21

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackyAttacky wrote:
Spriggs pick made sense at the time, they were probably going to move on from Bakhtiari until he became a rock star, maybe they weren't sure they could retain him or they were preparing to move on from Bulaga who would always miss a few games. Finally when a tackle goes down in the past it would appear that McCarthy does not change his gameplan at all and just keeps going with what is working, so maybe we value depth tackle a lot higher than other teams.

They were never going to move on from Bakh, I don't know where this false narrative needs to do to die. We're talking about a 25 year old LT here. As I mentioned last year, Bakh was a higher priority than T.J. Lang and Josh Sitton. Sitton ended up getting cut, and Lang signed elsewhere this offseason.

PackFan4Life wrote:

bkobow05 wrote:
squire12

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
PackyAttacky wrote:

They were never going to move on from Bakh, I don't know where this false narrative needs to do to die. We're talking about a 25 year old LT here. As I mentioned last year, Bakh was a higher priority than T.J. Lang and Josh Sitton. Sitton ended up getting cut, and Lang signed elsewhere this offseason.

Good use of hindsight. If Bahk does not sign the extension and is looking for $15M per season going into FA, Spriggs may very well be the LT.

The Spriggs pick last April was in case Bahk hits free agency or Bulaga's play slips/has injury issues. 2015 end of season saw the value of OT....2015 at Arizona game.
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Shanedorf wrote:

Spriggs is the swing tackle and he needs reps on both sides so he's ready to roll for the regular season.

You don't trade up for a swing tackle, there has to be an end game for Jason Spriggs. And that scenario is most likely one in which Bryan Bulaga ends up at guard.

Its an interesting scenario and a good problem to have. Bulaga is coming off a fantastic season and graded out as one of the better RTs in the league.
I don't think Spriggs isn't a better RT yet. So why make the switch for 2017 ?

There's an end game for Spriggs at OT, but in 2015, GB was without either Bulaga or Bak for 47 % of the snaps at OT.
In 2016 it was only 5 %. Which one are we betting on for 2017 ?
GB needs a swing tackle in 2017 and if it isn't Spriggs, I don't know who it is.

There's no harm in having Spriggs learn OT, even as the swing guy, that's positionally consistent with the reason they drafted him.
He's just doesn't seem ready to beat out Bulaga, yet.

Do we learn anything about Spriggs' ability to be an NFL RT by having him spend his day at RG ? (not sure)
Would playing RG for a season or 2 help Spriggs future at RT ? (no clue)
PackyAttacky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Shanedorf wrote:

But at the time did they view him as a swing tackle? If you are right on Back, maybe they felt like they were not going to be able to afford Back or they were sick of Bulaga being hurt. Teddy is damn good at drafting oline in the mid rounds not sure why he did not wait until then if they figured it would play out this way.

IMO they never quite know how it is going to go. Matt Khalil signed for what Back got, do you think he is kicking himself right now for signing early? IMO they figured one of Bulaga OR Back is gone right now and sometimes things pan out a different way. Spriggs is 6'7 how many guards are that tall.?
Kenrik

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a bunch if good guards graded late 2nd to the early 5th. I completely expect Ted to grab one especially a T/G type.
CWood21

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackyAttacky wrote:
But at the time did they view him as a swing tackle? If you are right on Back, maybe they felt like they were not going to be able to afford Back or they were sick of Bulaga being hurt. Teddy is damn good at drafting oline in the mid rounds not sure why he did not wait until then if they figured it would play out this way.

As I mentioned this time last year, I'd be VERY surprised if Ted hadn't reached out to Bakh's agent and get a feel for his price tag. Obviously, they weren't going to hammer out the details, but get an idea if they were receptive to an extension. And I think the bigger question is the salary attached to Bryan Bulaga. Most are complaining about him being an expensive guard, but he's the 3rd highest paid RT in terms of AAV behind Lane Johnson and Ricky Wagner. Bryan Bulaga would be the 20th most expensive guard in terms of AAV. Let that sink in.

PackFan4Life wrote:

bkobow05 wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: