Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft Needs
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maverick41

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Draft Needs Reply with quote

Howdy.

In the process of preparing my mock drafts for the next six weeks. What would you say are the three or four most pressing needs for your team ranked in order of most to least?

Thanks!

bossvegas wrote:
to be fair some people just don't like traffic signs
MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the biggest need is a new owner, and new Presidential of Football Operations.

If we are strictly talking about roster needs, I'd say:

1. DE - We lost Baker in FA and most of the guys we have are backup/rotational guys. Ideally we could use two new starters at DE (no I don't think Stacy McGee or Terrell McClain are starting caliber players), but I think we could survive with 1 new starter and do a committee approach to the other spot.

2. MLB - Compton and Mason Foster are both below average starters and need to be replaced. Same as DE, ideally two new MLBs, but getting 1 would be a good start.

3. NT - Although I think 2-down run stuffers are not nearly as valuable as they used to be. NT is a need but I wouldn't want to spend a first round pick on one. So consider this a high need but probably could be filled somewhere in rounds 3-5.

4. Slot CB - Not a #3 CB, but literally a CB that can play the slot. If the right CB fell to us in the first round I wouldn't be surprised to see us take on, especially considering Breeland is on the last year of his rookie contract.

5. RB - Rob Kelley is adequate but nothing special. Chris Thompson is a good 3rd down back but can't handle a heavy load. If we were going to take a RB early it would have to be one that replaces Kelley as the primary back role, not the scat back/3rd down role.

6. LG - Shawn Lauvao is not very good, and Arie Kouandjio hasn't been able to supplant him as the starter. I don't consider this a first round need.

I would consider the rest of our needs to be backups. We could use a WR to groom, a blocking TE, backup Center, backup FS.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
Slateman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of them.
A TRAIN 89

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT/DE

MLB/OLB

S

LG

QB

RB

CB
MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A TRAIN 89 wrote:
DT/DE

MLB/OLB

S

LG

QB

RB

CB
Swearinger and Cravens will start, how is Safety a need?

Doc Draper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree new owner and president lol

Easier to say what we don't need:
LT, RG, SS, corner

Need everything else
A TRAIN 89

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
A TRAIN 89 wrote:
DT/DE

MLB/OLB

S

LG

QB

RB

CB

As much as I like Swearinger, he really only has had 1 good season at S and has noted character concerns. Cravens has not really played S in the NFL and was a LB for the most part in college.

Last year we had about 3 injuries at the S position. Depth has been an issue with this team for a number of years.

We have 10(!) picks in the NFL draft, 5 of which in the 1st 4 rounds. Using a 3rd or 4th round pick on a S to bolster the position is not a bad idea in my opinion. We've seen what happens when a few injuries happen and next thing you know we're transforming 30 year old CBs to start at S.

Maybe push it down to the past LG and QB, but I still think its something we need to build on.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A TRAIN 89 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
A TRAIN 89 wrote:
DT/DE

MLB/OLB

S

LG

QB

RB

CB

As much as I like Swearinger, he really only has had 1 good season at S and has noted character concerns. Cravens has not really played S in the NFL and was a LB for the most part in college.

Last year we had about 3 injuries at the S position. Depth has been an issue with this team for a number of years.

We have 10(!) picks in the NFL draft, 5 of which in the 1st 4 rounds. Using a 3rd or 4th round pick on a S to bolster the position is not a bad idea in my opinion. We've seen what happens when a few injuries happen and next thing you know we're transforming 30 year old CBs to start at S.

Maybe push it down to the past LG and QB, but I still think its something we need to build on.
I don't disagree on Swearinger, but we didn't give him the contract we did to not be a starter. Whether he works out at FS or needs to be back at SS remains to be seen.

Cravens has been lobbying to play SS ever since the final game of last season. He seems to not want to play MLB, and all reports seem to indicate the team will accommodate his request. Since he's a recent 2nd round pick, and Swearinger is newly signed, I highly doubt we use a high pick on a safety as that rookie wouldn't get playing time.

I don't disagree with you either that a mid to late round safety for depth isn't a bad idea. I just don't see us taking one high after the Swearinger signing.

RSkinGM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess our BPA philosophy is out the window now along with Scot. It's now BPA AT A POSITION OF NEED . Crying or Very sad
21 ALL THE WAY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
I guess our BPA philosophy is out the window now along with Scot. It's now BPA AT A POSITION OF NEED . Crying or Very sad

We will see, at 17 I'm targeting Barnet out of Tennessee. Fits a need and could be BPA.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

We will see, at 17 I'm targeting Barnet out of Tennessee. Fits a need and could be BPA.
Barnett is 6'3" 265 lbs, he would play OLB in a 3-4. We have Kerrigan, Preston Smith, Trent Murphy and Galette returning (and Houston Bates). How is OLB a need?

21 ALL THE WAY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Barnett is 6'3" 265 lbs, he would play OLB in a 3-4. We have Kerrigan, Preston Smith, Trent Murphy and Galette returning (and Houston Bates). How is OLB a need?

Galette isn't a sure thing to be what he used to be, Murphy will be missing the first 4 games, and I feel the defense needs more pass rush. Forrest Lamp at G is another guy there that could turn out to be a huge help for the running game and additional to pass protection. Our Zack Martin at LG.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Galette isn't a sure thing to be what he used to be, Murphy will be missing the first 4 games, and I feel the defense needs more pass rush. Forrest Lamp at G is another guy there that could turn out to be a huge help for the running game and additional to pass protection. Our Zack Martin at LG.
Ok, I don't really think OLB is a pressing need but I wouldn't freak out over the pick. Like you said more pass rush is always a good thing. Lamp really had a good combine, he'd definitely be an upgrade at LG for us.

mike23md

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

In talking with many sources I have come across, teams generally do not draft for need. Most teams will draft BPA that makes sense. Patriots won't take a QB in the first round when they have Brady.

In this case, considering that Preston Smith got lost last season, Trent Murphy needed chemical help to be productive and Junior Galette is a gust of wind away from an injury, EDGE rusher is certainly an option. If Barnett is the BPA at that point, it can make sense.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

In talking with many sources I have come across, teams generally do not draft for need. Most teams will draft BPA that makes sense. Patriots won't take a QB in the first round when they have Brady.

In this case, considering that Preston Smith got lost last season, Trent Murphy needed chemical help to be productive and Junior Galette is a gust of wind away from an injury, EDGE rusher is certainly an option. If Barnett is the BPA at that point, it can make sense.
I think Barnett will be good, but he's another high effort but not explosive athlete kind of pass rusher. Pretty much all of our OLBs are already like that other than Galette, who can't stay on the field. I think Barnett compares very favorably to Ryan Kerrigan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: