Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft Needs
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Maverick41


Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 19579
Location: RIP to My Boy, B2TB (Nik Evans)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Draft Needs Reply with quote

Howdy.

In the process of preparing my mock drafts for the next six weeks. What would you say are the three or four most pressing needs for your team ranked in order of most to least?

Thanks!
_________________

bossvegas wrote:
to be fair some people just don't like traffic signs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NickButera


Moderator
Joined: 14 Sep 2009
Posts: 7308
Location: Nevada
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Draft Needs Reply with quote

Maverick41 wrote:
Howdy.

In the process of preparing my mock drafts for the next six weeks. What would you say are the three or four most pressing needs for your team ranked in order of most to least?

Thanks!


Mine personally,

ILB (MLB)
DT
Pass Rusher (any form)
RB or CB (tied for 4th)

This will change in the next 2 weeks as we'll probably address at least 3 of these in FA, whether it be stop gap or someone we can rely on for 2 or 3 years.
_________________
Bah-Weep-Granah-Weep-Nini-Bong

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TiberiusRising


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 13263
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT (because we need at least two starters at the moment)
MLB (because we have needed to solidify this spot for a very long time)
S (Because we have non outside of Joseph and Nelson(33/34)
CB (need at the very least one more #2/3 guy but a #1/#2 would be nice)
DE, RB, TE could all be options as well but not critical as those top 3.

I will say that even having a better WLB would help on item 2 but not sure I would take a WLB say over a S unless the goal was for him to be the MLB and worst case the WLB.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IdigtheRaiders!


Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Posts: 1315
Location: Modesto
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coaching staff has hinted that they think DT is our biggest need on defense. I agree that it needs to be addressed, I just think MLB is a bigger and more-pressing defensive need right now.
_________________



1. Props to Big Palooka for the sig
2. Tim Brown is my favorite NFL player of all time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
TiberiusRising


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 13263
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdigtheRaiders! wrote:
The coaching staff has hinted that they think DT is our biggest need on defense. I agree that it needs to be addressed, I just think MLB is a bigger and more-pressing defensive need right now.
I dont think you can go wrong with either and both are limited at starting level so you need to really get one of each in 1st two rounds at the very least assuming no FA additions. DB's are deep.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dat Raider


Joined: 20 Oct 2008
Posts: 4707
Location: London aka LDN
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would certainly say a pass rushing DT and MLB are our 1a and 1b. A WLB to cover tight ends and drop into coverage in zone sets would be 3 & finally a DB.

Our defense was absolutely atrocious last season, so some new additions to shore it up and our new defensive coach should help sort that out.
_________________
RIP Al Davis. Thank you for this team
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TiberiusRising


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 13263
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dat Raider wrote:
I would certainly say a pass rushing DT and MLB are our 1a and 1b. A WLB to cover tight ends and drop into coverage in zone sets would be 3 & finally a DB.

Our defense was absolutely atrocious last season, so some new additions to shore it up and our new defensive coach should help sort that out.
Ya I think another S, WLB, or hybrid of two like you said is needed. Really we are lacking in a lot of areas Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RoyalMajesty51o


Joined: 26 Dec 2015
Posts: 956
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personnally, I don't have a RB as a huge need. I have a lot of faith with this RB committee of RB-DeAndre Washington, RB-Jalen Richard, FB-Jamize Olawale, and even WR-Cordarrelle Patterson on some gadget plays. Give me a late round bruising RB like RB-Darius Victor who caught my attention as a poor man's RB-Maurice Jones-Drew. If we can upgrade the NT position and replace NT-Dan Williams with either NT-Johnathan Hankins or NT-Dontari Poe, sign either Gerald Hodges or Keenan Robinson to be our 4-3 WLB, and sign a young talented FS or a experienced FS to fill the hole that FS-Nate Allen left is with, this is the top 3 needs for the Raiders:

1) MLB

Reggie McKenzie tried to sign MLB-Perry Riley Jr. before the 2017 NFL Free Agency start, but it looks like MLB-Perry Riley Jr. is looking for a bigger contract with his overrated play. Not sure why people like this guy so much. We tend to overvalued our players and he was overvalued just as much or more than CB-David Amerson around here. Give me MLB-Jarrad Davis.

2a) RT
2b) SS/FS

We can't go into next season with RT-Austin Howard and RT-Marshall Newhouse as the only options at RT. LG-Vadal Alexander and RG-Denver Kirkland are not athletic and quick enough to play out in space. That's why they struggled mightily in college and dropped late in the 2016 NFL Draft (LG-Vadal Alexander went in the 7th round and RG-Denver Kirkland went undrafted). If we planning to protect QB-Derek Carr, we need to get a better RT. Give me RT-Taylor Moton.

FS-Reggie Nelson was horrendous last season even though he made the Pro Bowl. He took too many poor angles, missed too many tackles, and blown too many coverages. He's old and slow. We can't go into next season with FS-Reggie Nelson back there. Give me SS/FS-Budda Baker, FS-Marcus Williams, FS-Desmond King, or any other talented ball-hawking, play-making SS or FS. Karl Joseph can play either safety position.

Then for the hell of it, here's the rest of our needs, which is mainly for depth:

4a) RB
4b) WR
4c) CB

RB-Latavius Murray is a average RB at best with poor vision, can't break tackles, not physical, not shifty, no burst, can't make people missed, and was easily taken down. As big of a RB he is at 6'3" and 230lbs, I seen more toughness and power from the 5'8" RBs DeAndre Washington and Jalen Richard. That's why I hope RB-Latavius Murray don't get paid and go somewhere else. Give me a bruising type of RB to compliment Washington and Richard and what I have in mind is another short RB and that's RB-Darius Victor.

We need a slot WR that's tough, shifty, and explosive with reliable hands and runs good routes. We signed WR-Cordarrelle Patterson and tender WR-Seth Roberts, but we've seen enough of WR-Seth Roberts to know that he's nothing more than a good blocking WR that gives us depth. WR-Cordarrelle Patterson would be our gadget WR, gunner, blocking WR, and kick returner around here, but it's better to give QB-Derek Carr as many weapons as possible. Give me WR-Ryan Switzer.

We need a faster, quicker CB. Our secondary were constantly getting toasted last season especially CB-Sean Smith. CB-David Amerson had his good games, but he's very inconsistent. We like tall CBs so give me CB-Jeremy Cutrer to develop for a year MAYBE replace CB-Sean Smith or at least give us good cheap CB depth.

7) SS/FS

We currently just have SS-Karl Joseph, SS-Keith McGill, and FS-Reggie Nelson on the roster at the safety positions. SS-Keith McGill got no business being on a NFL roster with his stiffness and horrible tackling. FS-Reggie Nelson is old and slow that will always get caught up in poor angles, missed tackles, and blown coverages. Those two need to be cut! The SS or FS that we take in the 2nd round or 3rd round of the 2017 NFL Draft to team up with Karl Joseph, we would still need more depth. Give me SS-Nate Gerry in the late rounds.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
G


Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 3871
Location: Hollywierd
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLB/OLB and RB are back-ups currently.
CB/S/T are all needed soon to replace lack of speed and age.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rich7sena


Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 6852
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Draft Needs Reply with quote

Maverick41 wrote:
Howdy.

In the process of preparing my mock drafts for the next six weeks. What would you say are the three or four most pressing needs for your team ranked in order of most to least?

Thanks!

Currently:

Linebackers: We play with two true second level linebackers most downs. The weak side backer has the responsibility of covering tight ends on most downs, while the "Mike" backer thumps in the run game. Both of our starters from a year ago, Malcolm Smith and Perry Riley, are not with the team this year (Riley may still return). If neither return, we're left with Ben Heeney, Corey James, Neuron Ball, Tyrell Adams, and Dwayne Norman.

The weak side inside backer or outside backer is of most importance. Malcolm Smith was abused by tight ends while playing the position during his two years here and no one currently on the roster inspires much confidence. Besides Zach Brown and maybe Deandre Levy (if he's healthy), there aren't any free agents who I'd be confident plugging in on day one. A starting caliber weak side linebacker who can cover tight ends is paramount in the first two rounds unless the defense changes.

Offensive tackle: The Raiders are perceived to have a strong offensive line, but that perception can quickly fall apart if the tackle positions aren't secure. Donald Penn missed the end of last season exposed our lack of depth at left tackle. He's also going into the final year of his contract; he'll be 34 in April. Further, we'll have an open competition of mediocre players for the starting spot at right tackle.

Strong safety: Last year's first round pick is best suited to play the "Earl Thomas" role as a single high safety overtop. Because Reggie Nelson virtually a strict free safety in the NFL at this point of his career, Joseph is forced to play in the box more than he should. If the team can get a true strong safety with size and ability to cover tight ends (Obi Melifonwu, basically), the need at weak side backer is diminished.

Defensive line: Some might want to put this position group higher, but the team has heavily invested into the defensive line over the past two drafts. It appears both Mario Edwards Jr. and Jihad Ward (back to back second round picks) will be counted on to bolster the lacking interior pass rush and interior run defense. Nose tackle may also be in play considering the disappointing performance of Dan Williams and Justin Ellis.

Runningback: As it stands, DeAndre Washington, Jalen Richard, and fullback Jamize Olawale are the primary ball carriers going into training camp. I suspect the staff really wants to give the tandem of Washington/Richard a shot, but I could be talked into Joe Mixon as early as round one. Still, quality depth is needed.

Move tight end: Mychal Rivera has been an unsung hero in the middle of field for the Raiders over the past few seasons. I don't anticipate he'll be brought back, but there's a lot of room for improvement in the passing game between the hashes.

Corner and receiver depth: While some want to outright replace Sean Smith and/or David Amerson, I believe the prudent decision would be to draft and develop behind them. A capable slot corner is also needed with the departure of D.J. Hayden. Hayden wasn't particularly good in the slot, but there aren't any players behind current starting slot, T.J. Carrie, who inspire much confidence.

Even with the Patterson signing, receiver depth is paramount. Michael Crabtree will turn 30 early in the NFL season and probably only has a handful of productive years left. I'm an advocate of drafting a guy to replace him on the outside, while he evolves his game in the slot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dessie


Joined: 02 Feb 2006
Posts: 6639
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Draft Needs Reply with quote

Rich7sena wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:
Howdy.

In the process of preparing my mock drafts for the next six weeks. What would you say are the three or four most pressing needs for your team ranked in order of most to least?

Thanks!

Currently:

Linebackers: We play with two true second level linebackers most downs. The weak side backer has the responsibility of covering tight ends on most downs, while the "Mike" backer thumps in the run game. Both of our starters from a year ago, Malcolm Smith and Perry Riley, are not with the team this year (Riley may still return). If neither return, we're left with Ben Heeney, Corey James, Neuron Ball, Tyrell Adams, and Dwayne Norman.

The weak side inside backer or outside backer is of most importance. Malcolm Smith was abused by tight ends while playing the position during his two years here and no one currently on the roster inspires much confidence. Besides Zach Brown and maybe Deandre Levy (if he's healthy), there aren't any free agents who I'd be confident plugging in on day one. A starting caliber weak side linebacker who can cover tight ends is paramount in the first two rounds unless the defense changes.

Offensive tackle: The Raiders are perceived to have a strong offensive line, but that perception can quickly fall apart if the tackle positions aren't secure. Donald Penn missed the end of last season exposed our lack of depth at left tackle. He's also going into the final year of his contract; he'll be 34 in April. Further, we'll have an open competition of mediocre players for the starting spot at right tackle.

Strong safety: Last year's first round pick is best suited to play the "Earl Thomas" role as a single high safety overtop. Because Reggie Nelson virtually a strict free safety in the NFL at this point of his career, Joseph is forced to play in the box more than he should. If the team can get a true strong safety with size and ability to cover tight ends (Obi Melifonwu, basically), the need at weak side backer is diminished.

Defensive line: Some might want to put this position group higher, but the team has heavily invested into the defensive line over the past two drafts. It appears both Mario Edwards Jr. and Jihad Ward (back to back second round picks) will be counted on to bolster the lacking interior pass rush and interior run defense. Nose tackle may also be in play considering the disappointing performance of Dan Williams and Justin Ellis.

Runningback: As it stands, DeAndre Washington, Jalen Richard, and fullback Jamize Olawale are the primary ball carriers going into training camp. I suspect the staff really wants to give the tandem of Washington/Richard a shot, but I could be talked into Joe Mixon as early as round one. Still, quality depth is needed.

Move tight end: Mychal Rivera has been an unsung hero in the middle of field for the Raiders over the past few seasons. I don't anticipate he'll be brought back, but there's a lot of room for improvement in the passing game between the hashes.

Corner and receiver depth: While some want to outright replace Sean Smith and/or David Amerson, I believe the prudent decision would be to draft and develop behind them. A capable slot corner is also needed with the departure of D.J. Hayden. Hayden wasn't particularly good in the slot, but there aren't any players behind current starting slot, T.J. Carrie, who inspire much confidence.

Even with the Patterson signing, receiver depth is paramount. Michael Crabtree will turn 30 early in the NFL season and probably only has a handful of productive years left. I'm an advocate of drafting a guy to replace him on the outside, while he evolves his game in the slot.


Pretty much how I see it tbh. Like the LB explanation as that's how I see it. Riley is more the thumper type imo.

I have CB and WR higher than RB as they are more important positions imo.

On Sean Smith didn't his contract become fully guaranteed on 11th March? If so we ain't getting rid of him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mct288


Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 72
Location: VA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Draft Needs Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
Rich7sena wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:
Howdy.

In the process of preparing my mock drafts for the next six weeks. What would you say are the three or four most pressing needs for your team ranked in order of most to least?

Thanks!

Currently:

Linebackers: We play with two true second level linebackers most downs. The weak side backer has the responsibility of covering tight ends on most downs, while the "Mike" backer thumps in the run game. Both of our starters from a year ago, Malcolm Smith and Perry Riley, are not with the team this year (Riley may still return). If neither return, we're left with Ben Heeney, Corey James, Neuron Ball, Tyrell Adams, and Dwayne Norman.

The weak side inside backer or outside backer is of most importance. Malcolm Smith was abused by tight ends while playing the position during his two years here and no one currently on the roster inspires much confidence. Besides Zach Brown and maybe Deandre Levy (if he's healthy), there aren't any free agents who I'd be confident plugging in on day one. A starting caliber weak side linebacker who can cover tight ends is paramount in the first two rounds unless the defense changes.

Offensive tackle: The Raiders are perceived to have a strong offensive line, but that perception can quickly fall apart if the tackle positions aren't secure. Donald Penn missed the end of last season exposed our lack of depth at left tackle. He's also going into the final year of his contract; he'll be 34 in April. Further, we'll have an open competition of mediocre players for the starting spot at right tackle.

Strong safety: Last year's first round pick is best suited to play the "Earl Thomas" role as a single high safety overtop. Because Reggie Nelson virtually a strict free safety in the NFL at this point of his career, Joseph is forced to play in the box more than he should. If the team can get a true strong safety with size and ability to cover tight ends (Obi Melifonwu, basically), the need at weak side backer is diminished.

Defensive line: Some might want to put this position group higher, but the team has heavily invested into the defensive line over the past two drafts. It appears both Mario Edwards Jr. and Jihad Ward (back to back second round picks) will be counted on to bolster the lacking interior pass rush and interior run defense. Nose tackle may also be in play considering the disappointing performance of Dan Williams and Justin Ellis.

Runningback: As it stands, DeAndre Washington, Jalen Richard, and fullback Jamize Olawale are the primary ball carriers going into training camp. I suspect the staff really wants to give the tandem of Washington/Richard a shot, but I could be talked into Joe Mixon as early as round one. Still, quality depth is needed.

Move tight end: Mychal Rivera has been an unsung hero in the middle of field for the Raiders over the past few seasons. I don't anticipate he'll be brought back, but there's a lot of room for improvement in the passing game between the hashes.

Corner and receiver depth: While some want to outright replace Sean Smith and/or David Amerson, I believe the prudent decision would be to draft and develop behind them. A capable slot corner is also needed with the departure of D.J. Hayden. Hayden wasn't particularly good in the slot, but there aren't any players behind current starting slot, T.J. Carrie, who inspire much confidence.

Even with the Patterson signing, receiver depth is paramount. Michael Crabtree will turn 30 early in the NFL season and probably only has a handful of productive years left. I'm an advocate of drafting a guy to replace him on the outside, while he evolves his game in the slot.


Pretty much how I see it tbh. Like the LB explanation as that's how I see it. Riley is more the thumper type imo.

I have CB and WR higher than RB as they are more important positions imo.

On Sean Smith didn't his contract become fully guaranteed on 11th March? If so we ain't getting rid of him.


RE: Sean Smith/CB position. Can't speak for everyone - but I consider CB a direction I'd like to go in the first two days of this draft. It isn't necessarily urgent, but we can definitely use the depth and future prospects at the position. It's a very solid CB class, and I would hate to see the Raiders miss out on it, when the position is somewhat tenuous. As for Sean Smith, I like him more than most. He had about a 10 game stretch last season where he was top tier. He isn't flexible. There are bad matchups for him. But when he is asked to do what he is strong at, he plays very well. I say hold onto him until we have someone who can replace him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
riceraider8080


Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 6495
Location: Missoula, Montana
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. MLB
2. CB
3. DT
4. RT
5. DE
6. RB
7. SS
8. TE

MLB is our most pressing need although I think CB is a huge need too as we got torched on the outside and in the slot last year. Sean Smith is overrated IMO and wildly inconsistent.

DT is a major need too as we could really use a big time talent to take pressure off Mack and generate some interior pass rush, which was non-exsistant last year for the most part.

RT is a need but Howard is decent in the run game and the rest of our O-line is good enough to help carry him. For this reason I also don't see RB as a pressing need cuz our line is good enough as is for my mom to gain 1000 yards if we plugged her in there. A rotational power back is all we need IMO.

For a DE, a situational pass rusher would be enough for me.

We can wait on another S till next year as Nelson showed he has enough in the tank still and Joseph's cover skills at SS I think are nice to have with our CBs being so weak outside of Amerson.

A move TE would be nice but isn't necessary. Cook should be decent enough of a stopgap for the next year or 2...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BayRaider


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 5224
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is WLB not in peoples needs? We literally havr no one at that position right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DC4_Life


Joined: 21 Apr 2016
Posts: 514
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 needs
WLB
MLB
CB
DT(ability to rush)
RB
LT of future
DE rotation pass rusher
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group