You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft Needs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely forgot/neglected the state down in Tennessee. Mariotta really stepped up, when he got better protection plus they really found their niche with the "exotic smash mouth" football (still a stupid name though).

On the Ringer show, they discussed what to draft for, when selecting a pass rusher. They argumented for bringing in a player, who may not be as well rounded, but the guy who makes the immediate impact like Ngakoue did for the Jags this year.
dcfields

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danand wrote:
On the Ringer show... They argued for bringing in a player, who may not be as well rounded, but the guy who makes the immediate impact like Ngakoue did for the Jags this year.

I agree. A situational pass rusher later in the draft. And there are plenty of them. Carroll Phillips, Derek Rivers, Trey Hendrickson, Duwuane Smoot...

And it's not to say the Ravens couldn't draft an offensive lineman in the 2nd round. Plenty of good ones there (Dawkins, Feeney, Dorian Johnson, Taylor Moton). But they need to address it early.
Danand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcfields wrote:
Danand wrote:
On the Ringer show... They argued for bringing in a player, who may not be as well rounded, but the guy who makes the immediate impact like Ngakoue did for the Jags this year.

I agree. A situational pass rusher later in the draft. And there are plenty of them. Carroll Phillips, Derek Rivers, Trey Hendrickson, Duwuane Smoot...

And it's not to say the Ravens couldn't draft an offensive lineman in the 2nd round. Plenty of good ones there (Dawkins, Feeney, Dorian Johnson, Taylor Moton). But they need to address it early.

I think Elflein would prove a great but underrated pick in the 2. round.

Derek Rivers are intriguing late in the draft, theres some potential to work with.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcfields wrote:
Flacco, regardless of what he says, was hesitant to step into his throws last year. And he's not going to improve after losing two starting linemen. They have to be replaced with quality players. And since the Ravens have limited cap space, one of those linemen have to be taken in the draft. And again, the talent thins out around the end of the 2nd round/early 3rd at best.

And you guys are right... There is no Travis Frederick or Ryan Kelly in this draft. And "getting stronger" than Zuttah isn't going to be easy seeing as only one OL put up as many reps as Zuttah did at his combine (35). The Ravens need a better technician at center. It surprises me that Nick Mangold hasn't been more connected to the Ravens in the media. He would really solve a BIG problem.

I think you might be (somewhat unintentionally) overselling Zuttah. He barely counts as a starting offensive lineman given his poor play and the team got rid of him because he wasn't a quality player. With their cap space situation that wouldn't have happened given his reasonable contract (for a starting lineman). Jeremy putting up 35 reps at the combine nearly 10 years ago doesn't really matter much. It's obvious watching him on the field that he doesn't play with power. That's the important bit. It's not going to be very difficult for the Ravens to get someone who's stronger where it counts if that is actually what their intention is.

Mangold not having been linked to Baltimore yet might be because he just isn't that good anymore. Nick has been on the market since before free agency began and nobody has picked him up yet despite not counting for the compensatory formula and likely being a cheap addition. At 33 years old he's nothing more than a short-term stopgap and I don't know how appealing that is. The Ravens are probably thinking long-term and are waiting to see what happens in the draft to make a move like that. Which would be nice. If the team is looking at taking a center high (Elflein, maybe converting Lamp?) I would want them to get on the field ASAP. It's different for a later round project but the high-end prospects should be ready sooner rather than later.
dcfields

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing hundreds of mock drafts, I've come full circle. Wide receiver. Top priority. A lot of the mocks have Williams and Davis going before the Ravens pick. And although I love John Ross, I think Williams and Davis are a better fit. Wallace and Perriman can stretch the field so I think the bigger receivers are a better fit for the Ravens. And I prefer Davis. Anyway, number one, WR. I think the Ravens put themselves in a good position to take a lineman in the third. My gut tells me Mangold is going to sign with B-more after the draft.

Option #2 - CB or Edge rusher. At #16, Humphrey or Conley should be there if the big WRs are off the board. That said, I think the Ravens should trade down to around #20 or #21 and pick up another 3rd in the process. Another CB I love is Awuzie. Regarding pass rushers, I don't see a huge difference with a lot of these guys after Garrett and S. Thomas (who will be long gone by #16). I've seen Barnett to the Ravens in several mocks, but I'm not 100% sold on him at #16. I think there is better value at that spot. I also think someone who grades similarly will be available for us at #47 (Bowser, Lawson, Harris, Tim Wms., etc.).

So to sum it up: 1) WR; 2 & 3) CB or Edge Rusher; 4 & 5) G or T. Alex Lewis is likely to fill the LG or RT role. And if Mangold signs, only one lineman will be needed.

Still waiting for news regarding Ben Watson and Kyle Arrington (being cut). From what I read, it has something to do with them taking their physicals. Semantics regarding payment/CBA. Cutting them should put the Ravens in a comfortable position cap-wise to sign Mangold, Webb (yesterday), the rookie draft picks and UDFAs.
Danand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so torn on Barnett, and I really wish I weren't as I think it is for the wrong reasons.

Despite all his production, intangibles, technique and overall versatility, I still fear he is so limited athletically, that he is a 6-7 sack guy tops as a 3 down OLB. Is that what you want from a pick at #16?

I think we would get a good player with very low bust potential, but would we get a great one? Which is what we need.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danand wrote:
I am so torn on Barnett, and I really wish I weren't as I think it is for the wrong reasons.

Despite all his production, intangibles, technique and overall versatility, I still fear he is so limited athletically, that he is a 6-7 sack guy tops as a 3 down OLB. Is that what you want from a pick at #16?

I think we would get a good player with very low bust potential, but would we get a great one? Which is what we need.

I'm with you. I just don't see it with him despite how much I want to. I love the production, and I'm looking for ANYTHING to give me hope but he's just so meh to me.

[quote="SFPatsFan"]

Flaccomania is a genius who is an expert on literally everything he talks about so you should trust him. [/quote]
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take it a step further, I'm not torn at all. We've seen time and again players dominate college football with advanced technique and willpower but not adjust to the pro game. Paul Kruger, Jarvis Jones, etc.

So I'm not torn. Now I think Barnett is better than both aforementioned names but that's not saying much. TJ Watt and Taco Charlton are more athletic and both also have had productive leaps to show that they aren't just selections based off of potential. These are players that will be good at the next level.

In terms of needs, I'd say:
1. WR- we need players that are going to be impact performers in the passing game. Having a great oline is cool, but Flacco has never been an elite qb no matter how great his oline. He did go off in the playoffs when he had a reliable oline and a playmaking wide receiver. He had a reliable deep threat in Torrey Smith and a guy in Boldin who could be a toss it up and pray type of receiver. So drafting a receiver and patching up the oline with a few veterans should get the job done in the short term and once the receivers develop we can continue to add young OL pieces to the fold and have he kind of offense we all want. But receivers take longer to develop than OL in many cases so we might as well get a true threat while we should be in position.
My favorite: Corey Davis- strong route runner, awesome run blocker, end zone threat, intermediate threat. A rich mans Jordan Matthews.

2. Pass rusher: Edge threat is the biggest chink in he Ravens defense. If we add an explosive edge threat that would take our defense to the next level and increase its level of consistency.
My favorite: TJ Watt- excellent value as a late 1st/early 2nd. Athletic. Timing at the line allows for swatted balls. Motor. NFL bloodlines. Only true issue is durability, which as a rotational threat should keep him healthy.

3. OG- I believe Alex Lewis can improve as an OG. I can also see us filling the center hole with Mangold and bringing in a few veterans to compete for the RT spot. As long as Flacco's blindside is safe we should be in a good spot with the increase explosiveness of our offensive playmakers.
My favorite: veteran/developmental draft pick

4. Corner- with Webb back in the fold, the corner need goes down a little. Webb dan back up multiple spots. But we still need younger talent for development from such a strong defensive back draft. I would hope we shoot for a small school athletic db in the mid-rounds to develop.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think two guys that could be there at #16 that don't "fill a need" but I absolutely love are O.J. Howard and Haason Reddick.

I think Howard is the best TE prospect to come out since Vernon Davis and/or Kellen Winslow Jr. Both were studs in college but didn't exactly live up to their potential. I think Howard is a game changer and could be a #1 option. He would open up the outside for Perriman and Wallace and he's a matchup nightmare for defenses. I don't think he'll be there at #16 but if he is, he's too good to pass up. He could be the playmaker the Ravens desperately lack. Perennial pro-bowler and Hall of Famer. That's right!

Reddick is a freak. He could immediately fill the void left by Orr and could be a thorn in the side of opposing offenses. He has excellent pass rush ability and initially went to Temple as a DB so the coverage ability is already there. You could present him in so many disguise packages it's ridiculous. Jefferson has blitz capabilities and Reddick has coverage ability. You wouldn't know who's coming or going. I'm salivating at the possibilities. I see a lot of Ray in Reddick.

There's a chance both could be there at #16. And if the WRs and the CBs the Ravens project at #16 are gone and there's no pass rusher worth taking in that slot, one of these two could be viewed as the best available player.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: