Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Malcolm Butler visiting Saints Thursday
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MookieMonster wrote:
lancerman wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:
MookieMonster wrote:
I'm laughing at the Patriots fans who think a 27 year old, almost 28, CB who's due a huge deal is going to get us the #11 overall pick.

Thats just insanity. Unless Mickey Loomis is the worst GM in the league, thats simply not happening. I think the list is very short on players that teams would move a top 13 pick for and I don't think Malcolm Butler is on that list.

I don't think anyone thinks it's likely - I think it's just the only way things are likely to proceed.

This. It's called seeing the forest for the trees. Butler isn't worth the 11 to the Saints, but the 32 isn't worth losing him this season. That Pat's have no incentive to take less when they are in a win-win scenario.

Incentive to not have a very unhappy CB on the team, and get a first round pick. I see the benefits of keeping Butler, but I'm also well aware he's not going to be pleased if we force him to play this year on a small 1 year deal.

Dudes pretty old, and hasn't exactly cashed out in his short NFL career. This could be his only shot at a big money deal.

Since when is being in the prime of ones career considered "pretty old"?

3-4 years down the road Malcolm Butler will be relatively old for an NFL player.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
MookieMonster wrote:
lancerman wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:
MookieMonster wrote:
I'm laughing at the Patriots fans who think a 27 year old, almost 28, CB who's due a huge deal is going to get us the #11 overall pick.

Thats just insanity. Unless Mickey Loomis is the worst GM in the league, thats simply not happening. I think the list is very short on players that teams would move a top 13 pick for and I don't think Malcolm Butler is on that list.

I don't think anyone thinks it's likely - I think it's just the only way things are likely to proceed.

This. It's called seeing the forest for the trees. Butler isn't worth the 11 to the Saints, but the 32 isn't worth losing him this season. That Pat's have no incentive to take less when they are in a win-win scenario.

Incentive to not have a very unhappy CB on the team, and get a first round pick. I see the benefits of keeping Butler, but I'm also well aware he's not going to be pleased if we force him to play this year on a small 1 year deal.

Dudes pretty old, and hasn't exactly cashed out in his short NFL career. This could be his only shot at a big money deal.

3-4 years down the road Malcolm Butler will be relatively old for an NFL player.

He's not old IN GENERAL, but he IS old for a player going into his first non-rookie contract negotiation. If the Pats retain him this year, he will be 28 going into next years free agency. Most players are between 24 and 26 when they get to their 2nd contract. If he gets a big contract next year, its very very conceivable it will be his only major NFL contract. He might get another decent sized one, but it just depends on numerous factors. He would likely be 32 or 33 by the time a new contract came around. Thats pretty old for a DB. Not all DBs have the shelf life of a Ronde Barber or Terrance Newman.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
MookieMonster wrote:
lancerman wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:
MookieMonster wrote:

He's not old IN GENERAL, but he IS old for a player going into his first non-rookie contract negotiation. If the Pats retain him this year, he will be 28 going into next years free agency. Most players are between 24 and 26 when they get to their 2nd contract. If he gets a big contract next year, its very very conceivable it will be his only major NFL contract. He might get another decent sized one, but it just depends on numerous factors. He would likely be 32 or 33 by the time a new contract came around. Thats pretty old for a DB. Not all DBs have the shelf life of a Ronde Barber or Terrance Newman.

not many players at all.

everything you said is right, but I don't think anyone will hesitate to give him that first big contract at his age. He's not the only player who made big money beyond the 24-26 year range.

he might get another after that like I said, but without knowing his workout or health habits it's hard to say.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: