Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Post Free Agency Mock Draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Post Free Agency Mock Draft Reply with quote

Round 1

1[1] Cleveland Browns: DE Myles Garrett [Texas A&M]
1[2] San Francisco 49ers:​ DE Solomon Thomas [Stanford]​

1[3] DE Jonathan Allen [Alabama]​ 6'3" 286lbs, 5.0 [40], 21 reps, 30" vert, 7.49 3 cone, 4.5 shuttle

I have been guilty of over thinking Jonathan Allen and his pedestrian combine made me do so even more. Jonathan Allen is a dominant player who offers the Bears versatility and interior pass rush. I do not think the Bears should over think this either. You build your team by putting big [inappropriate/removed] kickers on the field, you control the line of scrimmage and you beat the hell out of QBs. Allen is a dominant run defender, he is a productive and dangerous interior pass rusher and he is a high character leader. He will add another big nasty human to physically control the game. By adding Allen to Goldman and Hicks the Bears have one of the biggest and most dominant 3-4 lines in the league. Allen to me both in terms of size and athletic ability and the way he plays reminds me a lot of Justin Smith who was a center piece to the Fangio defense in SF.

1[4] Jacksonville Jaguars: RB Leonard Fournette [LSU]
1[5] Tennessee Titans [LAR]: S Malik Hooker [Ohio St]
1[6] New York Jets: QB Mitch Trubisky [UNC]
1[7] Los Angeles Chargers: S Jamal Adams [LSU]
1[8] Carolina Panthers: WR Corey Davis [Western Michigan]
1[9] Cincinnati Bengals: LB Ruben Foster [Alabama]
1[10] Buffalo Bills: WR Mike Williams [Clemson]
1[11] New Orleans Saints: CB Marshon Lattimore [Ohio St]
1[12] Cleveland Browns [Phi]: QB Deshaun Watson [Clemson]
1[13] Arizona Cardinals: CB Quincy Wilson [Florida]
1[14] Indianapolis Colts: LB Hassan Riddick [Temple]
1[15] Philadelphia Eagles [Min]: CB Gareon Conley [Ohio St]
1[16] Baltimore Ravens: TE O.J Howard [Alabama]
1[17] Washington Redskins: LB Zach Cunningham [Vanderbilt]
1[18] Tennessee Titans: WR John Ross [Washington]
1[19] Tampa Bay Buccaneers: RB Christian McCaffery [Stanford]
1[20] Denver Broncos: OT Cam Robinson [Alabama]
1[21] Detroit Lions: DE Taco Charlton [Michigan]
1[22] Miami Dolphins: OG Forrest Lamp [Western Kentucky]
1[23] New York Giants: TE David Njoku [Miami]​

*Trade: the Chicago Bears trade 2[36], 2[2018], 4[111] to the Oakland Raiders for 1[24] and 5[162].

1[24] QB DeShone Kizer [Notre Dame] 6'4" 233lbs, 4.83 [40], 30.5" vert

3 seems very rich for any of the QBs in this draft and with 4 solid QB prospects that Bears should be able to get a good one later in the 1st round with an aggressive move. Mike Glennon is an interesting place holder and he gets 2017 as the starter, which allows the Bears to draft and stash a talented QB that needs work. Kizer has as much upside as any QB in the draft and he has the most interesting physical skill set, but he also needs a ton of work and is coming off a poor year at Notre Dame. The Bears can draft him, work with him, and not rush him on to the field. They do have to give up some picks to make it happen, but the 5th year option is important and they cannot trust that he is going to fall past Houston, KC, SF another time.

1[25] Houston Texans: QB Pat Mahomes [Texas Tech]
1[26] Seattle Seahawks: OT Garrett Bolles [Utah]
1[27] Kansas City Chiefs: DT Malik McDowell [Michigan St]
1[28] Dallas Cowboys: CB Adoree Jackson [USC]
1[29] Green Bay Packers: OLB T.J Watt [Wisconsin]
1[30] Pittsburgh Steelers: OLB Tak McKinnely [UCLA]
1[31] Atlanta Falcons: DE Charles Harris [Missouri]
1[32] New Orleans Saints [NE]: S Obi Melifonwu [Wisconsin]

3[67] CB Ahkello Witherspoon [Colorado] 6'3" 198lbs, 4.45, 40.5" vert, 10'6" broad

The depth at CB in this class really is incredible and the Bears should be able to take advantage of it to add a player with long term starting potential in the 3rd round. Witherspoon checks all the boxes physically, comes from an aggressive press man system in Colorado, and had 21 passes defensed this season. Great length and athletic ability are the tools that Ed Donatell can develop. With the rumors of Hall getting tried at safety the Bears have room for another tall CB.

4[117] WR Noah Brown [Ohio St] 6'2" 222lbs, 19 reps

The Bears have addressed the WR position, but they need more talent and depth to make up for the lack of top end talent. When Kevin White gets injured their only WR with any size is Cam Meredith. By adding Brown they have a big, athletic pass catcher to develop and get those reps when White is injured. Brown did not catch a ton of passes at Ohio St, but he has great physical tools and got in the end zone a ton for a guy with limited catches.

5[147] OLB Deatrich Wise [Arkansas] 6'5" 272lbs, 35.5" arms, 4.92 [40], 22 reps, 33" vert, 10'5" broad

The Bears OLBs have issues with age and injuries and the Bears need to continue to add options to develop and play in case of injuries. Wise has the physical tools and length that Fangio desires, he was a productive pass rusher, and he should be able to contribute on special teams while he is developed behind McPhee. Wise is probably never going to be an elite cover guy, but the Bears do not really require that of their OLBs. Wise's 40 was bad, but his other athletic numbers are very intriguing.

5[168] OT Conor McDermott [UCLA] 6'8" 307lbs, 35" arms, 5.18 [40], 28.5" vert

The Bears clearly want to upgrade at OT and they added Compton to compete and provide better depth than Adams, but he is not really a long term option at LT. McDermott has LT length and experience and can be developed behind Leno. McDermott needs to get stronger and refine his technique, which he should get a chance to do on the bench for the Bears.

7[220] RB T.J Logan [UNC] 4.37 [40], 17 reps, 33.5" vert

The Bears do not have a pass catching 3rd down back, Langford might become that but he does not catch the ball well enough right now. Logan is a very good receiver that can come in and play 3rd down a little and return kicks and punts. He adds more speed to the Bears offense and gives Glennon a check down option that can create bigger plays.

Depth Chart

QB: Glennon, Kizer, Shaw
RB: Howard, Langford, Carey, Logan
WR: Meredith, White, Wright, Wheaton, Brown, Bellamy
TE: Miller, Sims, Brown
LT: Leno, McDermott
LG: Sitton, Kush
C: Whitehair, Grasu
RG: Long
RT: Massie, Compton

RE: Allen, Bullard​
NT: Goldman, Sutton
LE: Hicks, Unrien
OLB: Floyd, Young, Wise
ILB: Freeman, Anderson
ILB: Trevathan [PUP], Kiatokowsi, Timu
OLB: McPhee, Robertson-Harris
CB: Amukamara, Cooper, Witherspoon, Fuller, Callahan, Leblanc
FS: Demps, Amos
SS: Hall/Bush
Bearsfan17

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen had pretty much dropped from my thinking at 3. If he checks out medically then he would have to be considered.

I may be in the minority but I really do not want to trade back up into the 1st, unless you love a QB. If that's the case I think they'd take him at 3. I don't particularly like Kizer anyhow but I'd rather have multiple picks than him.

Build the D get a few pieces to supplement the offence, see what Glennon has got. Make a move for a QB next year, I know Fox probably won't be here but I believe Pace still will be.
G08

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearsfan17 wrote:
Allen had pretty much dropped from my thinking at 3. If he checks out medically then he would have to be considered.

I may be in the minority but I really do not want to trade back up into the 1st, unless you love a QB. If that's the case I think they'd take him at 3. I don't particularly like Kizer anyhow but I'd rather have multiple picks than him.

Build the D get a few pieces to supplement the offence, see what Glennon has got. Make a move for a QB next year, I know Fox probably won't be here but I believe Pace still will be.

I'm with you there... I don't want to burn picks to move up in this draft.

There's going to be a stud that falls to us in round 2 at OLB, CB, S, TE, or WR. I don't want to bypass a shot at that.

In round 3 we can go QB or see if someone falls and burn one of our 4ths to move up as well.

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure this has been talked about in other threads - but I wonder if part of the reason we signed Glennon is because Pace isn't enamored with any of the QB's at the top end. If we were just looking for a guy to keep a rookies seat warm for a year and win some games - a bridge QB like Hoyer would have come cheaper and is more 'proven'.

I agree that signing Glennon doesn't 'change your draft plans' - but maybe they signed Glennon precisely because they have no interest in investing a top pick/s in a QB.

Does Pace see the Glennon signing as his 'investment' in the QB? Does that mean we might not see a QB drafted until the later rounds (if at all)?

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
G08

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
I'm sure this has been talked about in other threads - but I wonder if part of the reason we signed Glennon is because Pace isn't enamored with any of the QB's at the top end. If we were just looking for a guy to keep a rookies seat warm for a year and win some games - a bridge QB like Hoyer would have come cheaper and is more 'proven'.

I agree that signing Glennon doesn't 'change your draft plans' - but maybe they signed Glennon precisely because they have no interest in investing a top pick/s in a QB.

Does Pace see the Glennon signing as his 'investment' in the QB? Does that mean we might not see a QB drafted until the later rounds (if at all)?

I think the fact that Pace liked him coming out of NC State speaks volumes to the deal that he made here. I have pretty much written off a QB at #3, and I might even go so far as to say the same in round 2.

Glennon gives him an unknown player with NFL tape and 4 years of studying NFL defenses and working on weaknesses. It's kind of brilliant if you really look at it.

Then again, if Deshone Kizer falls in your lap round 2, it would be hard to not pull the trigger, IMO. Gun to my head, though, I think Kaaya is the pick in round 3 or 4.

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
RunningVaccs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a good draft. My own preference would be to move back from 3 instead of up from 36, but this gets a lot of needs done. Getting ahead of the Texans is key.

The Bears need to start taking swings at QB. I understand the concerns about all the top 4 guys, but it sure seems like a big dropoff after Mahomes/Kizer.
topwop1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:

To answer your question I think we will definitely see a QB drafted by the Bears at some point because right now they have only Glennon and Shaw on the QB depth chart and they won't go into the season with only 2 QB's after what happened last year.

I believe Glennon was signed mainly because he offers some upside while still being somewhat of a veteran placeholder.

I also feel that the Bears aren't comfortable with taking a QB at #3 who will surely need some time to develop. They need their 1st round pick pick to contribute right away and it's entirely possible that this is Fox's last year in Chicago if he doesn't get things turned around, so it might not be a wise move to invest in a high round QB when that player likely won't contribute at all this coming season and could be with an entirely new coaching staff the year after.

My prediction is that the Bears end up with one of Kaaya or Peterman in the early 3rd or a guy like Josh Dobbs/Antonio Pipkin later as a developmental guy.
topwop1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windy, I love it how you always say that the Bears will need a WR for the inevitable time when White gets hurt as if it's a foregone conclusion...

C'mon maaannn...have some faith.
RunningVaccs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:

I think the fact that Pace liked him coming out of NC State speaks volumes to the deal that he made here. I have pretty much written off a QB at #3, and I might even go so far as to say the same in round 2.

Glennon gives him an unknown player with NFL tape and 4 years of studying NFL defenses and working on weaknesses. It's kind of brilliant if you really look at it.

Then again, if Deshone Kizer falls in your lap round 2, it would be hard to not pull the trigger, IMO. Gun to my head, though, I think Kaaya is the pick in round 3 or 4.

I liked Kaaya going into 2016. I have watched some tape on him and always come away with how much I like David Njoku as the only positive.
G08

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RunningVaccs wrote:
G08 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:

I liked Kaaya going into 2016. I have watched some tape on him and always come away with how much I like David Njoku as the only positive.

He's an accurate kid, I don't love his arm but that kid is 21 and I think he can get stronger. What I hate is his lack of athleticism and inability to extend plays when they go off-schedule.

But... Ryan Pace "grew up" around that type of player with Drew Brees, and now just threw all this money at a bigger-bodied and bigger-armed but as immobile Mike Glennon. Maybe that's just what Pace doesn't value above accuracy and leadership.

WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
Windy, I love it how you always say that the Bears will need a WR for the inevitable time when White gets hurt as if it's a foregone conclusion...

C'mon maaannn...have some faith.

Sky blue

Water wet

Kevin White on IR
mikee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Witherspoon refuses to tackle. He has all of the physical attributes to be a good cover man but he did not a take on a RB in any game that I watched. That is a big worry for me. I dislike DBs that are afraid of contact.
mikee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also not trading up in this draft. It is too deep and too good. If anything, I would prefer to trade down and try to get another pick in the 3rd or 4th.
dll2000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said all along no way Bears take a QB at 3, now I am not so sure and I think I am changing my mind.

My reasoning was that:

1) QBs this year are too risky and don't rate the 3rd pick. (true)
2) Bears need impact players now to save jobs and face. (maybe not true)

2 was biggest reason, but after FA it doesn't look like Bears are in win now mode. Pace either has some verbal assurances or integrity not to overspend short term on a weak team (though I think he missed some real nice bargains he will regret in hindsight).

You have to think SF, Cleveland, AZ, NO, Bills, Jets, possibly Houston, possibly Denver, Bills, and possibly Giants, possibly Chargers have their eye to draft their next QB in addition to Bears.

How long can you wait if there is someone you like? The QBs aren't interchangeable - 1 or 2 are good and rest are busts historically. You can't just miss on this guy, and get that guy who is just as good. Its impossible to know how much time you have and who likes who.

Nothing you can do about SF and Cleveland at 1 and 2, but if you pass at 3 what about other guys and Cleveland again?

I remember the story of when Marino was falling in draft and Shula told his GM to get him. GM said, don't worry we will get a QB. And Shula said, "I don't want A QB. I want Marino."

If Bears think this is the guy he is our future they have to get him or odds are good he just won't be there later even if he doesn't warrant the 3rd pick in the draft.

Who thinks no QB will be selected in first 12 picks? I would think odds of that are pretty low. If that was your guy he's gone now.
Bowler1215

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad. I'd rather draft a safety over a RB. I'm not really feeling drafting a QB in round 1. I'm not against it, but I feel we can get on between rounds 2-4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: