Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Shanahan done acquiring WRs?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pandomonium

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Is Shanahan done acquiring WRs? Reply with quote

Our front office has seemed to go WR crazy so far this offseason with the addition of so many WRs that already know his scheme (understandably so)

we also have several WRs currently under contract

so I'm wondering, with so many speedy and talented WRs in this years draft, do you think our FO is done bringing in WRs or do you think we will take a young guy to eventually be our #1 as Garcon is about to hit 31 soon.

RED, BLACK AND GOLD..TIL I'M DEAD BURIED AND COLD
rudyZ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think KyLynch just got themselves the option of adding or not adding any more receivers. Guys like Goodwin or Robinson aren't guaranteed a spot, in my opinion. Our returning receivers, other than perhaps Kerley, are not guaranteed to make the team either. I guess the only two locks are Kerley and Garçon, and I feel Kylo would be comfortable enough to go into the season with what we currently have, BUT if we're in a position to draft someone, we can obviously do it.

We're not done looking for receivers. Whether we bring anyone else in will depend on the circumstance. If we have have a chance to add Corey Davis, John Ross or Zay Jones, I'd be happy personally.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Forge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are done acquiring wide receivers, it would make me sad. Still one of the worst corps in the league as we sit right now.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
AustrianNiner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fair bit of our passes will go the RBs aswell, if we add 2 through the draft + Juszczyk as possible options in the passing game I could live with not drafting a WR at all. In the end I don't really care who we draft at these positions, fully trust Shanny to get those guys working anyway.
Forge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AustrianNiner wrote:
A fair bit of our passes will go the RBs aswell, if we add 2 through the draft + Juszczyk as possible options in the passing game I could live with not drafting a WR at all. In the end I don't really care who we draft at these positions, fully trust Shanny to get those guys working anyway.

Yeah. Hyde is decent out of the backfield, but I'm wondering if we make a one year play on Charles. His skillset, depending on if he has anything left after the injuries, would fit in really well out of the backfield. If not, the running back position is extremely deep in the draft, so I would expect us to pick someone there.

But at the same time, I could see a looooooooooot of 3rd and 8's where we throw 4 yard passes...which has been a major issue for years now. That's where the lack of a really good receiving corps hurts.

PapaShogun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
If we are done acquiring wide receivers, it would make me sad. Still one of the worst corps in the league as we sit right now.
Who is left on the market that you think would make a big difference?

- Five Time Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers -
1981*1984*1988*1989*1994*
Forge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapaShogun wrote:
Forge wrote:
Who is left on the market that you think would make a big difference?

Nobody that is a true difference maker. The only one with that ability is Michael Floyd, but he's never really done anything consistently. But I'd take a shot on him, particularly given that with his size, he would be the best red zone threat we've had here from the position in a while.

There are a couple of other guys who may work from a depth standpoint. Brian Quick has been a major, major bust...but he wasn't awful last year in a pretty awful offensive situation and also has the size to be a viable red zone option. Kamar Aiken isn't a bad player, but just a complimentary piece.

But mainly, you're looking at the draft for a significant impact but I think we need one more wide receiver for sure. Preferably someone who can come in maybe be something close to a wide receiver 2. Kerly is a slot guy. Goodwin is a vertical threat with little other impact. Ellington is never healthy and I'm not sure anyone knows what he really is. Burbridge is young, wasn't a premium prospect...maybe he can grow into that or will be that, but I don't know that right now. Rogers I was intrigued by, but he's a CFL standout coming off a significant injury. Where there were questions last year, there are even more this year. Smelter is a bust.

Forge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also still make a run at Patterson. He's not anything as a wide receiver, but he'd inject some major life into the moribund return game, so technically, he's a guy that would make an impact...just not in the way i want Laughing

Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't play WR but lined up in slot a couple of times and has an underrated passing game skill set and is still available is Rex Burkhead. I hope we bring him in, he'd be great depth and quite serviceable in Shanahan's offense.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
AustrianNiner wrote:

Yeah. Hyde is decent out of the backfield, but I'm wondering if we make a one year play on Charles. His skillset, depending on if he has anything left after the injuries, would fit in really well out of the backfield. If not, the running back position is extremely deep in the draft, so I would expect us to pick someone there.

But at the same time, I could see a looooooooooot of 3rd and 8's where we throw 4 yard passes...which has been a major issue for years now. That's where the lack of a really good receiving corps hurts.

I'm very intrigued by Charles too. I mean, he'd have to pass a physical, but there are fewer runners out there with as much pure talent, and he's great on outside zone running, and a great pass catcher. Maybe he doesn't come back at 100% of his former self, but even an 80% Jamaal Charles is better than a 110% Shaun Draughn.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Pandomonium

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
I think KyLynch just got themselves the option of adding or not adding any more receivers. Guys like Goodwin or Robinson aren't guaranteed a spot, in my opinion. Our returning receivers, other than perhaps Kerley, are not guaranteed to make the team either. I guess the only two locks are Kerley and Garçon, and I feel Kylo would be comfortable enough to go into the season with what we currently have, BUT if we're in a position to draft someone, we can obviously do it.

We're not done looking for receivers. Whether we bring anyone else in will depend on the circumstance. If we have have a chance to add Corey Davis, John Ross or Zay Jones, I'd be happy personally.

yeah I really like this kid after watching him in the senior bowl and then go on to put up good numbers at the combine.

RED, BLACK AND GOLD..TIL I'M DEAD BURIED AND COLD
Forge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fureys49ers wrote:
Doesn't play WR but lined up in slot a couple of times and has an underrated passing game skill set and is still available is Rex Burkhead. I hope we bring him in, he'd be great depth and quite serviceable in Shanahan's offense.

Burkhead is definitely intriguing. Not a lot of snaps and playtime, but looked okay last year after Gio went down.

I don't know why, but totally strikes me as a Patriots or Packers type player. I'd take a look at him though for sure.

StevenK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pandomonium wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

yeah I really like this kid after watching him in the senior bowl and then go on to put up good numbers at the combine.

Yeah Zay Jones is one my favs. I would like to get him, but I don't know. I would imagine his draft stock has gone up since the Senior bowl and the combine.
Knowledge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really wish they would have signed Pryor to that one year deal.....smh
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowledge wrote:
really wish they would have signed Pryor to that one year deal.....smh

So would I, and who knows maybe we even were offering more. With both Pryor and Jeffery though, they signed their one year "prove it" deals with teams that have a capable QB to get them the ball and in offenses that have potential to be in the top 10. Not a whole lot of guys are going to want to prove themselves catching passes from Hoyer on a rather talent deprived team where they'd be one of the primary focuses for opposing defenses. Hard to get your market up doing that. Doesn't mean they don't look this way after the year, maybe Kirk and Pryor develop a little chemistry before coming over as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: