Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 3rd pick in the draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think the Glennon signing, contract, and the way Pace glowingly spoke of him makes me think he's the guy.

If they wanted Watson/Trubisky at #3 they would have brought Brian Hoyer back.

Glennon gives you an unknown, which could work out very well for us or kind of blow up in our face. I think Shaw is the guy that would then go in if Glennon is [inappropriate/removed].

jrry32 wrote:
apples

When the defense allowed 20 pts or fewer, the Cutler-led Bears were 36-7
Sugashane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Part of me wonders if the Bears should just nut up, draft Watson, stash him for a year and then actually have a real option in 2018?

The 3rd pick is not going to have a huge impact on 2017. Jamal Adams or John Allen are not the difference between 6-10 and 10-6.

QBs are the most important position bar none. I wouldn't be sad at all if Pace went QB at 3, especially if Garrett and Thomas are gone.

Adopt a Bear - Kyle Long (Two Season Streak)
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Part of me wonders if the Bears should just nut up, draft Watson, stash him for a year and then actually have a real option in 2018?

The 3rd pick is not going to have a huge impact on 2017. Jamal Adams or John Allen are not the difference between 6-10 and 10-6.

It goes back to that same idea of not forcing it if the right player isn't there. Watson could develop into a top 10 NFL QB. Lord knows he's got the talent. But what if he doesn't develop? There are plenty of knocks on these guys especially as top 5 picks.

The problem is that a great QB doesn't make you a good team. You still need a good team to go with the great QB. I'm just not sure that you can afford to gamble on one of these QB's at #3 when this team needs all around improvements in addition to QB.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

It goes back to that same idea of not forcing it if the right player isn't there. Watson could develop into a top 10 NFL QB. Lord knows he's got the talent. But what if he doesn't develop? There are plenty of knocks on these guys especially as top 5 picks.

The problem is that a great QB doesn't make you a good team. You still need a good team to go with the great QB. I'm just not sure that you can afford to gamble on one of these QB's at #3 when this team needs all around improvements in addition to QB.

True, but a great DE our S doesn't make a team go to the playoffs either. Watt only went to the postseason because of a terrible division. Suh can't drive a team to the playoffs either. It is a QB driven league, and having a solid talent there will make more difference than any other individuals position. But you're right, even Lick jess not been able to carry the Colts.

It all comes down top if Pace thinks he has a franchise QB. If do you jump, if not get the next biggest impact player you can. The "safe" picks are still major risks.

Adopt a Bear - Kyle Long (Two Season Streak)

Last edited by Sugashane on Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bears contingent at Clemson Pro Day

Ryan Pace
John Fox
Dowell Loggains
Dave Ragone

If George McCaskey shows up we may be on to something.
G08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

Ryan Pace
John Fox
Dowell Loggains
Dave Ragone

Every relevant person to be looking at a QB.

jrry32 wrote:
apples

WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Ryan Pace
John Fox
Dowell Loggains
Dave Ragone

I do not think it is as crazy that they are going to pick a QB and stash them for all of 2017.

The 3rd pick is not going to make a big difference in the win total.
A_Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

Ryan Pace
John Fox
Dowell Loggains
Dave Ragone

This kind of makes me think that they are leaning towards not taking a QB. My reasoning goes like this. The Bears have already decided that if they took a QB it is going to be Watson, but they don't want to take him at #3 overall. However, given how hyper focused everyone in Chicago is on the position, all the important people want to go see him in person and make certain he is not going to be the next great QB.

The alternative is they are trumpeting "This is the guy we are taking" and you don't normally see teams do that.
dll2000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

51to54 wrote:
dll2000 wrote:
Watched Pat Mahomes.

I'll pass thank you.

Doesn't have great delivery. Doesn't throw with anticipation (not really his offense - so he can be excused). Doesn't move particularly great in pocket. Ball seems to hang a bit. Not consistent.

I don't see it happening for him in NFL.

Did you find some vids that had every play of his per game(s) or a highlights type collection?

Some highlights vids show a quick arm with snap, even when moving to his left, good deep ball, good placement, great mobility and tends to keep his eyes downfield when doing so, good touch, and it looks like he has very good field vision which I believe you can't teach.

There are lots of guys in the NFL with good technique, but little arm or vision or mobility. My concern about the highlights vids is that if he is 'Cutler like' then for every great highlight vid play there is a terrible lowlight vid play too.

Based on his highlight vids, If 3 or more QB's come off in the first round I'd take him with our second round pick and develop him while Glennon plays. If only 1 or 2 QB's are taken then maybe you can wait until the 3rd round pick.

I'm somewhat surprised about the 'doesn't move well in the pocket'comment. I can agree that he did not work the pocket with subtle movement like some experienced pros, but he doesn't have to with his elite mobility in order to buy time in and out of the pocket. I saw him make several Russell Wilson like plays.

I watched draft breakdown videos. Not all 22, but what we have. I don't get much out of highlight videos and I cant stand the music most of time.
dll2000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
G08 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Ryan Pace
John Fox
Dowell Loggains
Dave Ragone

I do not think it is as crazy that they are going to pick a QB and stash them for all of 2017.

The 3rd pick is not going to make a big difference in the win total.

I think if they want their QB (assuming the one they want is one of Watson or Trubisky) and he doesn't go in first 2 they probably have to take him at 3 as much as they dont want to.

Trades would be real interesting. I think they would love a big trade offer. I dont see it happening.

If they want A QB they can wait.
dll2000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate post.

Last edited by dll2000 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
G08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Daniel Jeremiah‏ @MoveTheSticks

Scout at Clemson on Watson's day:
Average day. Inconsistent timing/placement...solid on deep ball. It was a B-/C+ type workout.

jrry32 wrote:
apples

dll2000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
I just think the Glennon signing, contract, and the way Pace glowingly spoke of him makes me think he's the guy.

If they wanted Watson/Trubisky at #3 they would have brought Brian Hoyer back.

Glennon gives you an unknown, which could work out very well for us or kind of blow up in our face. I think Shaw is the guy that would then go in if Glennon is [inappropriate/removed].

We dont know what they are thinking about the rookie QBs.

I dont know about Watson, but I think Trubisky would be a train wreck year one. Albeit an exciting one. Like I said Trubisky is a Favre esque talent, a boom or bust move that would probably take 3 years to bear real fruit assuming you developed him well (which Bears have never done in my lifetime).

So either they loved Glennon as their guy or needed a respectable bridge guy. Yes, Hoyer fits that bridge bill too, but they know what they had in Hoyer and so do fans (think no shows) and Glennon can still surprise and could potentially take the job for himself. So it could be they hedging bets either way.

More likely whoever plays QB for Bears in 2017 suffers from average to potentially below average receivers/TEs as a group and worse weak tackle(s) and disastrous tackles if injury.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glennon allows you to legit leave Trubisky and Watson on the bench.
dll2000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Glennon allows you to legit leave Trubisky and Watson on the bench.

Its interesting because I dont doubt that there are several teams that covet Watson or Trubisky, but I doubt many covet both.

So once one goes it changes a lot of boards and plans.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: