Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eagles sign Nick Foles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Hockey5djh


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 20249
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesPeteC wrote:
This backup QB contract situation keeps getting stupider

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/3/15/14933282/eagles-chase-daniel-cap-room-contract-release-philadelphia-nfl


"restructured his offset language"

I didn't know there was more than one way to have offset language. That said from my understanding offset language doesn't give us cap relieve until next year anyway soooooo...yea still dumb.
_________________

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:
This is the eagles we are talking about here. This will all blow up in our faces not work.

Source: experience.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
furti


Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 1284
Location: Budapest, Hungary
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Daniel had an 8m cap hit, now with his release, 7m dead cap and 1m saving. Foles' contract according to overthecap is actually a 5 year deal that voids after year two. His 3m signing bonus pro rated over 5 years means 0.6m per year, plus his 1m gives 1.6m cap hit for 2017. So basically we exchanged Foles for Daniel and additional 0.6m hit. That sounds good to me if true. Not sure how this is within the rules, though, but i don't mind. Smile
Year two is 7.6m and then 1.8m dead money (which is gonna happen) rounds out the 11m. Daniel's future contract could negate some of that next year with the offset language.

http://overthecap.com/player/nick-foles/773
_________________
'16 Bird Watch: #55 Brandon Graham
GMS: 16 | SNP: 764/1,020 (75%) | TKL: 58 | TFL: 14 | SCK: 5.5 | QBH: 20 | FF: 2 | FR: 1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hockey5djh


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 20249
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

furti wrote:
So Daniel had an 8m cap hit, now with his release, 7m dead cap and 1m saving. Foles' contract according to overthecap is actually a 5 year deal that voids after year two. His 3m signing bonus pro rated over 5 years means 0.6m per year, plus his 1m gives 1.6m cap hit for 2017. So basically we exchanged Foles for Daniel and additional 0.6m hit. That sounds good to me if true. Not sure how this is within the rules, though, but i don't mind. Smile
Year two is 7.6m and then 1.8m dead money (which is gonna happen) rounds out the 11m. Daniel's future contract could negate some of that next year with the offset language.

http://overthecap.com/player/nick-foles/773


So he's cheap this year while we deal with the Daniel cap hit and expensive next year when we don't. I still don't understand why we're investing so much in back-up QBs.
_________________

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:
This is the eagles we are talking about here. This will all blow up in our faces not work.

Source: experience.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phire


Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 60846
Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
furti wrote:
So Daniel had an 8m cap hit, now with his release, 7m dead cap and 1m saving. Foles' contract according to overthecap is actually a 5 year deal that voids after year two. His 3m signing bonus pro rated over 5 years means 0.6m per year, plus his 1m gives 1.6m cap hit for 2017. So basically we exchanged Foles for Daniel and additional 0.6m hit. That sounds good to me if true. Not sure how this is within the rules, though, but i don't mind. Smile
Year two is 7.6m and then 1.8m dead money (which is gonna happen) rounds out the 11m. Daniel's future contract could negate some of that next year with the offset language.

http://overthecap.com/player/nick-foles/773


So he's cheap this year while we deal with the Daniel cap hit and expensive next year when we don't. I still don't understand why we're investing so much in back-up QBs.

Our franchise got spooked ever since Mike McMahon had to fill in for McNabb. That's when we started to fill our backup QB position with guys like Jeff Garcia.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hockey5djh


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 20249
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
furti wrote:
So Daniel had an 8m cap hit, now with his release, 7m dead cap and 1m saving. Foles' contract according to overthecap is actually a 5 year deal that voids after year two. His 3m signing bonus pro rated over 5 years means 0.6m per year, plus his 1m gives 1.6m cap hit for 2017. So basically we exchanged Foles for Daniel and additional 0.6m hit. That sounds good to me if true. Not sure how this is within the rules, though, but i don't mind. Smile
Year two is 7.6m and then 1.8m dead money (which is gonna happen) rounds out the 11m. Daniel's future contract could negate some of that next year with the offset language.

http://overthecap.com/player/nick-foles/773


So he's cheap this year while we deal with the Daniel cap hit and expensive next year when we don't. I still don't understand why we're investing so much in back-up QBs.

Our franchise got spooked ever since Mike McMahon had to fill in for McNabb. That's when we started to fill our backup QB position with guys like Jeff Garcia.


Jeff Garcia made somewhere close to the vet minimum though, Daniel and Foles are not.
_________________

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:
This is the eagles we are talking about here. This will all blow up in our faces not work.

Source: experience.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nlesthought


Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Posts: 11325
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just heard Chase is visiting the Jets. Laughing
_________________
Take the training wheels off DougieP!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EaglesPeteC


Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 5609
Location: Raleigh, NC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlesthought wrote:
just heard Chase is visiting the Jets. Laughing


PAY THE MAN!!!! Laughing
_________________

BIRD WATCH: "WR" Nelson Agholor //36 REC//365 YARDS//2 TDS//2 stone hands//1 crippling boneheaded pentaly//1 deactivation//1 tremendous waste of a pick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phire


Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 60846
Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
Phire wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
furti wrote:
So Daniel had an 8m cap hit, now with his release, 7m dead cap and 1m saving. Foles' contract according to overthecap is actually a 5 year deal that voids after year two. His 3m signing bonus pro rated over 5 years means 0.6m per year, plus his 1m gives 1.6m cap hit for 2017. So basically we exchanged Foles for Daniel and additional 0.6m hit. That sounds good to me if true. Not sure how this is within the rules, though, but i don't mind. Smile
Year two is 7.6m and then 1.8m dead money (which is gonna happen) rounds out the 11m. Daniel's future contract could negate some of that next year with the offset language.

http://overthecap.com/player/nick-foles/773


So he's cheap this year while we deal with the Daniel cap hit and expensive next year when we don't. I still don't understand why we're investing so much in back-up QBs.

Our franchise got spooked ever since Mike McMahon had to fill in for McNabb. That's when we started to fill our backup QB position with guys like Jeff Garcia.


Jeff Garcia made somewhere close to the vet minimum though, Daniel and Foles are not.

Chase wasn't really brought in to be a "back-up" he was brought in to potentially start, if we didn't draft a QB and still traded Sam Bradford. I'm not saying his contract was ideal, and it sucks that it's harming us now, but we had considerable flux and uncertainty at QB last year so I'm not surprised such a contract arose in that time period. There's no way we give that contract to someone like Chase Daniel if we had an established starter.

The Foles one makes more sense if what we know is true (voids after year two). QBs are expensive and to even sign a backup with starting experience we're expected to shell some money.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
furti


Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 1284
Location: Budapest, Hungary
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's reasonable to think that Daniel is gonna sign for 2-4m per year, so that would make Foles' hit around 3-5m. That's not bad considering we need a capable backup in case Wentz goes down. Also, i think we are gonna be fine next year with Kelce, Celek and Kendricks most probably and Peters optionally getting released for 25m. Brooks and Curry also need to live up to their salary, otherwise they can be in trouble as well.
_________________
'16 Bird Watch: #55 Brandon Graham
GMS: 16 | SNP: 764/1,020 (75%) | TKL: 58 | TFL: 14 | SCK: 5.5 | QBH: 20 | FF: 2 | FR: 1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nabbs4u


Joined: 28 Jul 2007
Posts: 28946
Location: 1st Ballot Eagles HOF 3x Gold Standard 09' /10 '/11' 2X ENBD/Pick em Winner Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still of the belief Daniels was disgruntled most of last season and going into this season with how things unfolded. Not saying he wasn't professional but not someone they wanted in the building year two. So if swapping out contracts for a QB who wanted to be here and technically has had more success then Daniels, so be it. Money be damned!
_________________

Bird Watch: TE Zach Ertz: 14Gm/ 106Tgt //78 Rec//812 Yds//4 TD//10.5 Y/R
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ninjapirate


Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 41953
Location: Vegas
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
I'm still of the belief Daniels was disgruntled most of last season and going into this season with how things unfolded. Not saying he wasn't professional but not someone they wanted in the building year two. So if swapping out contracts for a QB who wanted to be here and technically has had more success then Daniels, so be it. Money be damned!


if something happens to carson i trust nick to play way more than chase any day fo the week anyways. Upgraded the back up really.
_________________


RainbowCarebear wrote:
Anna Kendricks are always nice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Nabbs4u


Joined: 28 Jul 2007
Posts: 28946
Location: 1st Ballot Eagles HOF 3x Gold Standard 09' /10 '/11' 2X ENBD/Pick em Winner Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
I'm still of the belief Daniels was disgruntled most of last season and going into this season with how things unfolded. Not saying he wasn't professional but not someone they wanted in the building year two. So if swapping out contracts for a QB who wanted to be here and technically has had more success then Daniels, so be it. Money be damned!


if something happens to carson i trust nick to play way more than chase any day fo the week anyways. Upgraded the back up really.


I mean we're going nowhere without Wentz but Yes Foles has at least shown the ability to play at a high level (27-2) if need be. Don't for a second think he'll ever play at that level again but there was never ever anything special about Chase Daniels let's be real. He was brought in as a glorified tutor who knew the offense. He was never going to start over Sam. That was Howie lying as usual just to sign his man. Now a Rookie from a small school?? Yeah that was some good Smoke. Zeke Elliot type Smoke!😎
_________________

Bird Watch: TE Zach Ertz: 14Gm/ 106Tgt //78 Rec//812 Yds//4 TD//10.5 Y/R
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
BLick12


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 31302
Location: South Jeezy fo sheezy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chase Daniel is an awful excuse for a QB. I'm not thrilled about signing Foles, but he's certainly an upgrade from Daniel.
_________________

Bird Watch: Nolan Carroll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ninjapirate


Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 41953
Location: Vegas
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
I'm still of the belief Daniels was disgruntled most of last season and going into this season with how things unfolded. Not saying he wasn't professional but not someone they wanted in the building year two. So if swapping out contracts for a QB who wanted to be here and technically has had more success then Daniels, so be it. Money be damned!


if something happens to carson i trust nick to play way more than chase any day fo the week anyways. Upgraded the back up really.


I mean we're going nowhere without Wentz but Yes Foles has at least shown the ability to play at a high level (27-2) if need be. Don't for a second think he'll ever play at that level again but there was never ever anything special about Chase Daniels let's be real. He was brought in as a glorified tutor who knew the offense. He was never going to start over Sam. That was Howie lying as usual just to sign his man. Now a Rookie from a small school?? Yeah that was some good Smoke. Zeke Elliot type Smoke!😎



Team isn't going any where with wentz healthy. Laughing
_________________


RainbowCarebear wrote:
Anna Kendricks are always nice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
nlesthought


Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Posts: 11325
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
I'm still of the belief Daniels was disgruntled most of last season and going into this season with how things unfolded. Not saying he wasn't professional but not someone they wanted in the building year two. So if swapping out contracts for a QB who wanted to be here and technically has had more success then Daniels, so be it. Money be damned!


if something happens to carson i trust nick to play way more than chase any day fo the week anyways. Upgraded the back up really.


I mean we're going nowhere without Wentz but Yes Foles has at least shown the ability to play at a high level (27-2) if need be. Don't for a second think he'll ever play at that level again but there was never ever anything special about Chase Daniels let's be real. He was brought in as a glorified tutor who knew the offense. He was never going to start over Sam. That was Howie lying as usual just to sign his man. Now a Rookie from a small school?? Yeah that was some good Smoke. Zeke Elliot type Smoke!😎



Team isn't going any where with wentz healthy. Laughing


Has Wentz become your new era of Maclin?
_________________
Take the training wheels off DougieP!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group