Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eagles sign Nick Foles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blahman88

Location: Eagles Forum HOF + Gold Standard 2014, Bringer of the Cavalry
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammertime52

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:
Phire wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
Phire wrote:
Chase's contract is pretty bad, but I can understand why they signed him to that when they did. That was before the draft if I recall and it wasn't a given that we'd get Wentz. I'm also assuming the team was thinking of getting rid of Bradford and so there was actually a legitimate chance that Chase started last year depending on how things turned out in the draft.

So it's a bit different than drafting Wentz then giving that contract to Chase. Plus it's not really anyone's fault that he's requesting to be released now. Things just didn't turn out the way the parties expected.

Dude does't even have 100 career passing attempts and is making 7 freaking million dollars as a 30 year old back-up. I really don't see what leg he has to stand on to ask for a release.

Why do you need a leg to stand on to ask for a release? He doesn't want to be here, so be it.

I mean, it really looks bad when he is making that much money, has only been in the city for a year, and has done nothing to make us think he has earned his paycheck.

I can understand he was probably sold the idea he could at least compete to start, and we probably just want to get rid of his contract anyways, but it just doesn't look good to ask for a release in the situation.

I get that it doesn't look good but that's separate from the notion that you need to "earn" your request to leave. We've all left jobs for one reason or another and whether you earned your right to quit or not is kind of irrelevant.

Slightly different agreement if you are an NFL player as you are under a different kind of contract, but I understand where you are coming from.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hoping a) Chase had offset language and/or b) he negotiated to give some $ back to get his release $7 mill in dead money plus Foles contract is a terrible move.

BIRD WATCH: "WR" Nelson Agholor //36 REC//365 YARDS//2 TDS//2 stone hands//1 crippling boneheaded pentaly//1 deactivation//1 tremendous waste of a pick

Last edited by EaglesPeteC on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
AZ_Eaglesfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesPeteC wrote:
I am hoping a) Chase had offset language and/or b) he negotiated to give some $ back to get his release $7 mill in dead money plus Files contract is a terrible move.

I agree completely.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:
EaglesPeteC wrote:
I am hoping a) Chase had offset language and/or b) he negotiated to give some $ back to get his release $7 mill in dead money plus Files contract is a terrible move.

I agree completely.

Apparently keeping his guarentes but there is offset language. Here is to hoping Chase gets paid

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/13/chase-daniel-gets-his-wish/

BIRD WATCH: "WR" Nelson Agholor //36 REC//365 YARDS//2 TDS//2 stone hands//1 crippling boneheaded pentaly//1 deactivation//1 tremendous waste of a pick
TheRealMcCoy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesPeteC wrote:
AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:
EaglesPeteC wrote:

I agree completely.

Apparently keeping his guarentes but there is offset language. Here is to hoping Chase gets paid

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/13/chase-daniel-gets-his-wish/

Pray Pray Pray Pray
EaglesPeteC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chase Daniel highlights

Hammertime52

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, way to not do your research Pete

https://twitter.com/dbar04/status/766447282589949952

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammertime52 wrote:
Wow, way to not do your research Pete

https://twitter.com/dbar04/status/766447282589949952

I dont see how he can't find a chance to start.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Anna Kendricks are always nice.
BLick12

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say what you want about Daniel, but Howie botched the whole QB situation pretty hard last year. Fortunately, most of it panned out, but this is a side effect of a lot over-promising and poor contract management.

It's great we got Wentz out of it, but if Bridgewater didn't get hurt, we'd have been stuck with both Bradford's and Daniel's contracts and possibly never would've seen Wentz play a down last year. He promised a lot of guys starting jobs or at least competition for a starting job, although there clearly wasn't much of one (Wentz played what? one preseason game). People can cite Daniel's contract as a reason to say shutup, but I'm sure the reason he signed here was because he thought he'd get a real crack at being a starting QB. I don't think he's a starter in the NFL anyway, but let's be real, there was no competition here from the day Wentz was drafted.

Now we're on the hook for the massive overpayment that we gave him in free agency to get one of Doug's guys, and saddled with a pretty bad backup contract for Nick Foles as well (although more reasonable for a backup at least). This is costing us players like Bennie Logan, which is the worst part about it.

Bird Watch: Nolan Carroll
Nabbs4u

Location: 1st Ballot Eagles HOF 3x Gold Standard 09' /10 '/11' 2X ENBD/Pick em Winner Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Eagles paid him a $3 million signing bonus, a $3 million roster bonus, and a $1 million base salary in 2016. A whopping $5 million of his 2017 salary was fully guaranteed. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Daniel did not waive the guaranteed money. However, the guarantee contains offset language.

Someone in the news forum suggested that offset would be whatever money he signed with another team would be taken away from his Eagle salary. Anyone confirm this?

Bird Watch: TE Zach Ertz: 14Gm/ 106Tgt //78 Rec//812 Yds//4 TD//10.5 Y/R
Jlash

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
Quote:
The Eagles paid him a $3 million signing bonus, a $3 million roster bonus, and a $1 million base salary in 2016. A whopping $5 million of his 2017 salary was fully guaranteed. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Daniel did not waive the guaranteed money. However, the guarantee contains offset language.

Someone in the news forum suggested that offset would be whatever money he signed with another team would be taken away from his Eagle salary. Anyone confirm this?

I can't confirm anything, but 99% of the time that's what offset language means. It's not really heard of anymore because a lot of that was done away with when the new CBA came about.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:
Phire wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
Phire wrote:
Chase's contract is pretty bad, but I can understand why they signed him to that when they did. That was before the draft if I recall and it wasn't a given that we'd get Wentz. I'm also assuming the team was thinking of getting rid of Bradford and so there was actually a legitimate chance that Chase started last year depending on how things turned out in the draft.

So it's a bit different than drafting Wentz then giving that contract to Chase. Plus it's not really anyone's fault that he's requesting to be released now. Things just didn't turn out the way the parties expected.

Dude does't even have 100 career passing attempts and is making 7 freaking million dollars as a 30 year old back-up. I really don't see what leg he has to stand on to ask for a release.

Why do you need a leg to stand on to ask for a release? He doesn't want to be here, so be it.

I mean, it really looks bad when he is making that much money, has only been in the city for a year, and has done nothing to make us think he has earned his paycheck.

I can understand he was probably sold the idea he could at least compete to start, and we probably just want to get rid of his contract anyways, but it just doesn't look good to ask for a release in the situation.

I get that it doesn't look good but that's separate from the notion that you need to "earn" your request to leave. We've all left jobs for one reason or another and whether you earned your right to quit or not is kind of irrelevant.

There's a massive difference to you and I quitting an at-will job and someone asking for a release from an NFL contract. For starters (and enders), we aren't guaranteed any money if we leave our jobs, Daniel is.

If he was really that unhappy with his job there's always the retirement route. In this case he would give up his base salary (5 mil) which would only cost the Eagles 2 mil against the cap. The reason he didn't do this is because he's trying to have his cake (the 7 mil we owe him in 2017) and eat it too (try to start for another team) and we let him do it.

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:
This is the eagles we are talking about here. This will all blow up in our faces not work.

Source: experience.
EaglesPeteC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This backup QB contract situation keeps getting stupider

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/3/15/14933282/eagles-chase-daniel-cap-room-contract-release-philadelphia-nfl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: