Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official visits...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwalker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Official visits... Reply with quote

Thought it'd be good to have a thread for only confirmed visitors.

Obi Melifonwu, S, Uconn - visiting the Steelers
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official visits... Reply with quote

mwalker wrote:

I love him and think pairing him with Sean Davis would give the Steelers a tremendous set of young and athletic safeties. It will be difficult to get him. Picking 30th, they would have to slightly over-draft him #1 or trade to move up in round two.
warfelg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official visits... Reply with quote

Steeler Hitman wrote:
mwalker wrote:

I love him and think pairing him with Sean Davis would give the Steelers a tremendous set of young and athletic safeties. It will be difficult to get him. Picking 30th, they would have to slightly over-draft him #1 or trade to move up in round two.

Both are Strong Safeties and wouldn't pair will at all IMO. We need a real centerfield ballhawk back there.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
mwalker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official visits... Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
Steeler Hitman wrote:
mwalker wrote:

Both are Strong Safeties and wouldn't pair will at all IMO. We need a real centerfield ballhawk back there.

I've read that ultimately the Steelers see Davis as the Mitchell replacement, which would suggest we're looking for a more FS type. But again, this gets back to how we use our Safeties. In a sense both of ours play like SS, or are interchangeable.

I really like Melifonwu, but am also curious if he, or someone like M.Williams (more centerfielder type) are who the brass believe completes the position. It'll be interesting to watch play out.

Someone like Marcus Maye, might be a blend of both, but not quite as good as either.
jebrick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they want a cover 2 safety as a CF then Melifonwu is not it. He has outstanding athletic talent but makes too many false reads. He would be a more athletic Michael who is softer in tackling.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official visits... Reply with quote

mwalker wrote:
warfelg wrote:
Steeler Hitman wrote:
mwalker wrote:

Ordinarily I would agree with you and Warfelg on this. However, I am trying to change my thinking as I also hope that the Steelers are as well.Because the game is changing, you need players who can cover, tackle, blitz or play center field.

I've read that ultimately the Steelers see Davis as the Mitchell replacement, which would suggest we're looking for a more FS type. But again, this gets back to how we use our Safeties. In a sense both of ours play like SS, or are interchangeable.

Mitchell plays FS, but I think Davis would be better in that role. Davis was good at blitzing and playing near the line/box. I don't think he is kimited to that role. I think the Steelers did that so Davis would be more comfortable after playing CB and Nickel early in the year. As you said, both Steelers safeties are interchangeable. Obi and Davis would open up endless possibilities on defense. Neither is Earl Thomas, but both can be effective in man or zone.

I really like Melifonwu, but am also curious if he, or someone like M.Williams (more centerfielder type) are who the brass believe completes the position. It'll be interesting to watch play out.

Someone like Marcus Maye, might be a blend of both, but not quite as good as either.

I think it all depends on how the draft falls. I could see Obi going as early as 32 to NE (Tebucky Jones type) or as late as the 50th pick. A lot will depend on how free agency plays out as well. He is a baller and obviously the Steelers are doing their due diligence in talking to him.

jebrick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael plays the FS role in a cover 2 but plays it badly. Marcus Williams (Utah) would be the best player in the draft for a true CF cover 2 FS.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
If they want a cover 2 safety as a CF then Melifonwu is not it. He has outstanding athletic talent but makes too many false reads. He would be a more athletic Michael who is softer in tackling.

Yea I'm not seeing the fit unless they would move Davis to FS...that or maybe use Obi as a big nickel type this year and make the switch for 2018.
jcm412

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as we fans want a center field type FS I'm not sure the Steelers do.
I think OBi and Davis have a lot of similarities. I always thought that with Davis playing CB in college he would be more natural FS, but as the season went on I didn't see that. I could honestly see the Steelers taking OBi or Buddha Baker at #30. They want guys that can play nickel and tackle that's Obi and Baker.

As a side note. The way this draft is shaping up I wouldn't be surprised if we miss out on an edge and CB in round one. It may very well come down to a fringe first round safety with "potential".
Chieferific

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcm412 wrote:
As much as we fans want a center field type FS I'm not sure the Steelers do.
I think OBi and Davis have a lot of similarities. I always thought that with Davis playing CB in college he would be more natural FS, but as the season went on I didn't see that. I could honestly see the Steelers taking OBi or Buddha Baker at #30. They want guys that can play nickel and tackle that's Obi and Baker.

As a side note. The way this draft is shaping up I wouldn't be surprised if we miss out on an edge and CB in round one. It may very well come down to a fringe first round safety with "potential".

Yes and the injury to Jones pushes another CB up the board.

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ILB Raekwon McMillian scheduled...per draftwire
mwalker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DE Tanoh Kpassagnon apparently met with, and was worked out by the Steelers

They also met with NT Glen Antoine at Idaho Pro Day. He put up 37 reps at 337lbs. Monster.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwalker wrote:

They also met with NT Glen Antoine at Idaho Pro Day. He put up 37 reps at 337lbs. Monster.

Super Freak! It will be interesting to see if he adds some weight and plays DE or sheds some pounds and plays OLB. He's listed at 289lbs but looks lean given his 6'7" frame. I'd guess DE but he is a freak of an athlete that could be a Joker type. A really interesting prospect but may take the 3rd Comp pick to land him. Rather pricey for a project.

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
mwalker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
mwalker wrote:

Super Freak! It will be interesting to see if he adds some weight and plays DE or sheds some pounds and plays OLB. He's listed at 289lbs but looks lean given his 6'7" frame. I'd guess DE but he is a freak of an athlete that could be a Joker type. A really interesting prospect but may take the 3rd Comp pick to land him. Rather pricey for a project.

Getting good reviews in work outs. May not be as big of a project as some think. But yea, agree, he's more grow in to a 3/4 DE than the other way around.
mwalker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR Chris Godwin visiting

(and a lot of attention for OLB D. Rivers at his pro day)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: