Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Top 5 Best/Worst Free Agents in Steeler History

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Top 5 Best/Worst Free Agents in Steeler History Reply with quote

Since free agency is always soooo boring and at times frustrating for us thought I'd get you all to share your knowledge/opinions.

UDFA don't count.

GO!!!!
warfelg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best -
5. Kimo Von Oelhoffen
4. Alejandro Villanueva
3. James Farrior
2. Kevin Greene
1. Ryan Clark

Worst -
5. Kent Graham
4. Duce Staley
3. Sean Mahan
2. Quincey Morgan
1. Nobody - and no I don't mean no one is worthy of this spot. I mean as in our worst FA signing is signing no one when we have a spot that we need help.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
jebrick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you replace Alejandro Villanueva with Jeff Hartings.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
Best -
5. Kimo Von Oelhoffen
4. Alejandro Villanueva
3. James Farrior
2. Kevin Greene
1. Ryan Clark

Worst -
5. Kent Graham
4. Duce Staley
3. Sean Mahan
2. Quincey Morgan
1. Nobody - and no I don't mean no one is worthy of this spot. I mean as in our worst FA signing is signing no one when we have a spot that we need help.

Ryan Clark 1? Is that based on personal like or actual impact? Because Fariror was a much better player than he was. Clark was solid for us. Farrior was borderline elite.

And I agree Jeff Hartings needs to be top 5.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
warfelg wrote:
Best -
5. Kimo Von Oelhoffen
4. Alejandro Villanueva
3. James Farrior
2. Kevin Greene
1. Ryan Clark

Worst -
5. Kent Graham
4. Duce Staley
3. Sean Mahan
2. Quincey Morgan

Ryan Clark 1? Is that based on personal like or actual impact? Because Fariror was a much better player than he was. Clark was solid for us. Farrior was borderline elite.

A little of all of the above. I think impact, person feelings, and what it could have been without him is what puts him at one for me.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
warfelg wrote:
Best -
5. Kimo Von Oelhoffen
4. Alejandro Villanueva
3. James Farrior
2. Kevin Greene
1. Ryan Clark

Worst -
5. Kent Graham
4. Duce Staley
3. Sean Mahan
2. Quincey Morgan

A little of all of the above. I think impact, person feelings, and what it could have been without him is what puts him at one for me.

Fair enough, but I 100% believe our defense would be far worse off without James Farrior than Ryan Clark. IMO, Clark was just a nice complimentary piece next to Troy. Without Troy, Clark IMO wouldnt have had nearly as much success.....although in fairness, Clark doing his job made Troy better as well.

As individual players though, I would put Greene, Farrior and Hartings above Clark.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
warfelg wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
warfelg wrote:
Best -
5. Kimo Von Oelhoffen
4. Alejandro Villanueva
3. James Farrior
2. Kevin Greene
1. Ryan Clark

Worst -
5. Kent Graham
4. Duce Staley
3. Sean Mahan
2. Quincey Morgan

Fair enough, but I 100% believe our defense would be far worse off without James Farrior than Ryan Clark. IMO, Clark was just a nice complimentary piece next to Troy. Without Troy, Clark IMO wouldnt have had nearly as much success.....although in fairness, Clark doing his job made Troy better as well.

As individual players though, I would put Greene, Farrior and Hartings above Clark.

Man for man sure, for what they did for the team I think Clark means a little more because like you said, Clark let Troy be Troy.

If I did it with the context of individual, Clark drops to 5 everyone goes up one.

And I get the Hartings objection, but the value of Villy and what he's meant, developed, and done since we picked him up is far more impressive IMO. Your talking about a kid who was a Ranger, then played WR, who the Eagles tried to play at DE, now to a very solid if unspectacular NFL LT.

Hahahahaha.

FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
warfelg wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
warfelg wrote:
Best -
5. Kimo Von Oelhoffen
4. Alejandro Villanueva
3. James Farrior
2. Kevin Greene
1. Ryan Clark

Worst -
5. Kent Graham
4. Duce Staley
3. Sean Mahan
2. Quincey Morgan

Man for man sure, for what they did for the team I think Clark means a little more because like you said, Clark let Troy be Troy.

If I did it with the context of individual, Clark drops to 5 everyone goes up one.

And I get the Hartings objection, but the value of Villy and what he's meant, developed, and done since we picked him up is far more impressive IMO. Your talking about a kid who was a Ranger, then played WR, who the Eagles tried to play at DE, now to a very solid if unspectacular NFL LT.

Clark let Troy be Troy, but he was also more of a liability than Farrior ever was. Farrior QB'd our defense for nearly a decade, and was consistently great. Clark was more of a role player that played his role well, but wasnt really a stand alone difference maker like Farrior was.

Not really trying to sway you. I respect your stance. Just feels like you might be downplaying what Farrior meant to this defense a little.

In terms of AV....he is a very nice story, for sure. Only thing Ill say is, I honestly question how good AV would be without Munchack. Not trying to knock Villanueva, but I personally believe Munch can get the best out of any player, and without him, alot of players falter. Remember Michael Roos and David Stewart? They were viewed as two of the top OTs in the league with Munch, and as soon as he left the Titans, Roos and Stewart's play went down. Same can be said about Beachum after he left the school of Munch. Thats why Im a little iffy giving Villanueva a huge contract....but thats a different topic altogether.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spots 1-10 for WORST should be automatically reserved for Sean Mahan. He was so horrendous...
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
Spots 1-10 for WORST should be automatically reserved for Sean Mahan. He was so horrendous...

There are still imprints of his a$$ on Heinz Field.

Still, at least it was only one year and very little money.

Duce Staley was probably the most disappointing. I expected him to be very good for us, and he showed he COULD HAVE BEEN if he had stayed healthy.

Jonathan Scott is another bad one that comes to mind....although I blame our coaches for that one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:

There are still imprints of his a$$ on Heinz Field.

Still, at least it was only one year and very little money.

Duce Staley was probably the most disappointing. I expected him to be very good for us, and he showed he COULD HAVE BEEN if he had stayed healthy.

Jonathan Scott is another bad one that comes to mind....although I blame our coaches for that one.

This is one I thought of immediately. Can't have a bad FA conversation without including Jonathan Scott.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best:
Kevin Greene
James Farrior
Jeff Hartings
Ray Seals
Ryan Clarke

Worst:
Sean Mahan
Kent Graham
Quincey Morgan
Dwayne Washington
Duce Staley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how is deuce making the worst list.....didn't he rush for almost 1000 yards one year..injuries really not his fault..plus..as a running back he was at the end anyway..he was a compliment to the bus and a temp safety blanket...did not see that signing as anything else.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, I remember my reaction to us signing Clark was very "bleh." I was really hoping we addressed the FS position in the draft and was honestly kind of bummed that we signed him...I remembered him being super average on the Redskins. Turns out I ended up being a very big fan of his.

Florida State Seminoles - Pittsburgh Steelers - Cleveland Cavaliers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: