You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears sign CB Marcus Cooper
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:

The fact Jeffery didn't want to stay here and no big name free agent wanted to come here tells you everything about the state of this franchise right now.

What that tells me is that Pace has no interest in going out and making a huge FA signing for a team that has more than one need.

Hell - Gilmore even said that he was disappointed that Chicago didn't come after him with a larger offer.

Chicago's problem hasn't been spending - their problem is that they've done a poor choice of spending.

Pace will likely end up spending the same amount of money in FA as everyone expected him to - but rather than spend it all on Gilmore (and Glennon) he has spent it on several players to fill needs and finally give some positions depth.

Yes - there are still several areas that need top line talent - but I expect those will be addressed in the draft.

We might suck something fierce next year - but at least the next GM/Coach won't be crippled by [inappropriate/removed] long term deals.

So we got that going for us. Which is nice.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

The fact Jeffery didn't want to stay here and no big name free agent wanted to come here tells you everything about the state of this franchise right now.

What that tells me is that Pace has no interest in going out and making a huge FA signing for a team that has more than one need.

Hell - Gilmore even said that he was disappointed that Chicago didn't come after him with a larger offer.

Chicago's problem hasn't been spending - their problem is that they've done a poor choice of spending.

Pace will likely end up spending the same amount of money in FA as everyone expected him to - but rather than spend it all on Gilmore (and Glennon) he has spent it on several players to fill needs and finally give some positions depth.

Yes - there are still several areas that need top line talent - but I expect those will be addressed in the draft.

We might suck something fierce next year - but at least the next GM/Coach won't be crippled by [inappropriate/removed] long term deals.

He wouldn't have spent it all on Glennon & Gilmore...if you take the money we paid Wheaton & Cooper this year you could have gotten Gilmore...which would have been the smarter move.
Nads786

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

He wouldn't have spent it all on Glennon & Gilmore...if you take the money we paid Wheaton & Cooper this year you could have gotten Gilmore...which would have been the smarter move.

How is that the smarter move? Most of these FAs don't really work out well unless you have a team that is nearly ready to go like the Pats.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nads786 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

How is that the smarter move? Most of these FAs don't really work out well unless you have a team that is nearly ready to go like the Pats.

So if most FAs don't really work out why sign two and not one? especially considering the fact signing two guys who could be good over one guy who is very good...makes no sense...

I get that some of you guys don't want to take a risk investing big money but nothing changes without risk...look at this organization from top to bottom...it's about as vanilla as it gets.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sign a couple guys because it improves your chances.

Some of these guys will work out and some will fail, the Bears added a number of guys with upside so we should end up with 2-3 contributors from this hall.

The risk with Gilmore is if he does not work out, or gets injured, it is a 14/year albatross. If Cooper sucks, Wheaton still has a chance to be good.

That and big money guys don't want to come here.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

Some of these guys will work out and some will fail, the Bears added a number of guys with upside so we should end up with 2-3 contributors from this hall.

The risk with Gilmore is if he does not work out, or gets injured, it is a 14/year albatross. If Cooper sucks, Wheaton still has a chance to be good.

So again play it safe and see no real change.
G08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I mean can we at least have a minicamp first?

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Regardless of how this turns out it's the approach that I have an issue with...maybe these guys are good players for us...maybe they aren't...but IMO you use FA to sign sure fire quality then try and use the draft to add upside players and UDFA to try and unearth a gem...maybe those players didn't want to come here with the coaching staff situation...but letting Jeffery walk then not stumping up to add any top talent says we don't feel good about the upcoming season.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the approach is fine as long as you hit on your draft picks.

The Jeffery non-signing wasn't suppose to be an issue because we were suppose to be in year 3 of Kevin White being awesome. Instead he is broken down and probably never going to be a #1.

I agree free agency can be used for adding proven starting talent, but at the same time the Bears have 2 problems.

1. No stars

2. Not depth

Pace added a ton of depth and competition. Step 1 to me is to ensure than the Devante Bausbys of the world do not play.
G08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have to be honest in looking at our team -- we are nowhere near competing for a championship let alone the division.

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
We have to be honest in looking at our team -- we are nowhere near competing for a championship let alone the division.

That is why I came down a bit after missing on the top guys. Although losing anyone to Jacksonville is a bit of a shot.

The Bears are deeper and more talented at 10-53 right now with our free agenct moves. Bums like Adams, Glenn, Bausby, HJQ, Bellamy, should either be off the team or never taking actual snaps again.
G08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
G08 wrote:

That is why I came down a bit after missing on the top guys. Although losing anyone to Jacksonville is a bit of a shot.

The Bears are deeper and more talented at 10-53 right now with our free agenct moves. Bums like Adams, Glenn, Bausby, HJQ, Bellamy, should either be off the team or never taking actual snaps again.

Yup. And keep in mind we can obtain a quality DB through round 4.

1. Jonathan Allen
2. TJ Watt
3. Cordrea Tankersley

Epyon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
G08 wrote:

1. Jonathan Allen
2. TJ Watt
3. Cordrea Tankersley

Tankersly's fall down draft boards is almost criminal for how well he graded out PFF wise.... and it's not like he sucked at the combine either... His vertical was sub par, but 4.40 in the 40 is a great time.

The one that probably intrigues me the most right now is Fabian Moreau for corners.... Drafttek has him as like a 6th rounder, CBS had him as a 4th rounder, before he basically won the combine. Now CBS has him as a late first rounder...... I think he's more likely to dip into the mid 2nd/early third because he gets a bunch of pass break ups, and few INTs.... but the guy is athletic as hell, and sticks like glue in man coverage.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epyon wrote:
G08 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
G08 wrote:

1. Jonathan Allen
2. TJ Watt
3. Cordrea Tankersley

Tankersly's fall down draft boards is almost criminal for how well he graded out PFF wise.... and it's not like he sucked at the combine either... His vertical was sub par, but 4.40 in the 40 is a great time.

The one that probably intrigues me the most right now is Fabian Moreau for corners.... Drafttek has him as like a 6th rounder, CBS had him as a 4th rounder, before he basically won the combine. Now CBS has him as a late first rounder...... I think he's more likely to dip into the mid 2nd/early third because he gets a bunch of pass break ups, and few INTs.... but the guy is athletic as hell, and sticks like glue in man coverage.

If the tape showed that he'd probably have never been considered a mid round pick.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
G08 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Regardless of how this turns out it's the approach that I have an issue with...maybe these guys are good players for us...maybe they aren't...but IMO you use FA to sign sure fire quality then try and use the draft to add upside players and UDFA to try and unearth a gem...maybe those players didn't want to come here with the coaching staff situation...but letting Jeffery walk then not stumping up to add any top talent says we don't feel good about the upcoming season.

I don't mind the approach too much. The first 48 hours or whatever of FA looked like a train wreck but in retrospect I think it's going to be ok.

No, they did not go after some of the marquee free agents but they have added a lot of competition especially in the secondary. From an age perspective they have added guys who can stick around for awhile if they perform and I think that can be a big positive for this rebuild. Demps obviously doesn't fit that bill but he immediately adds some stability and experience that is going to benefit them in the short term as well.

My big issue, like you MM, is the Jeffrey situation. He only got $8.75M guaranteed from the Eagles while you guaranteed Wheaton $6M. That situation is extremely troubling for a team sorely lacking in talent.

In hindsight it really seems as if both parties were ready to move on but that it was allowed to get to that point alone speaks volumes about Pace and/or Fox.

There are major questions about why this happened and honestly the one and only way this ends up being OK is if Wheaton turns into a stud and that is highly unlikely.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: