FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

We are transitioning to a new forum software platform. Your current password will not work after August 12th. Update the email in your profile so you are not locked out. Click here for more information.

Where to draft Sidney Jones?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KiddKillah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Where to draft Sidney Jones? Reply with quote

Just awful to hear. Assuming he miss all of the season (which looks likely), what round would you take him in?

I feel if this was any ordinary draft, he may have a shot at round 2, but based on how many talented corners this draft is offering, I could easily see him being in there in rounds 3-5.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He won't drop that far. A lot of teams already sit their first round picks for much of the first season anyway. I would be shocked if a team like Arizona passed on him in the 2nd round. They sit their 1st round picks all the time. If he's there with their 2nd it would be like having two 1st rounders for them.

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
A lot of teams already sit their first round picks for much of the first season anyway.

This is a less than ideal route for most teams (unless at quarterback). A first round pick should be someone who can find playing time right away. I'd assume he'll be ready to go sometime during the season, but I think it's enough to sour teams for him to fall out of the first round.
Crickett

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have him in the late third to Denver right now, but that's likely a knee jerk reaction to suffering the injury. He'll be out his rookie year and I doubt he'll be 100% year two. So, the way I look at it presently is:
1. What team needs a cornerback in the long term but can afford to wait on him this upcoming season and not expect too much the following season?
2. Out of those teams, which teams can afford to use a third round pick on a cornerback?
Options
The Bears. This is a rebuilding year for them and they know it. They've been dealing with cornerback issues for a while. They have Prince Amukamara, but it was a on year deal and who knows what their long term plans are for Kyle Fuller if they even have any.

The Jets. This is a reb..... crumbling year for the Jets. Aside from their defensive linemen, they have very little notable talent on defense. Even if they keep Buster Skrine this year, they probably won't keep him next year. Rome won't be built in a day and depending which cornerback they draft early on (assuming they select one at all), this could give them a nice young pair of cornerbacks down the line.

The Patriots. They have Gilmore and Butler for now. But do they plan to keep Butler? They have a pair of third round picks and if they're able to resign Hightower or someone else at middle linebacker, there's very little pressure for them to draft an immediate contributor anywhere.

The Bengals. Because they're the Bengals and it's an odd numbered year so they certainly can't draft one in the first round. That means they won't make an entirely unnecessary cornerback selection until at least the third round.

The Saints. I know nothing of the Saints and I've never watched the Saints play football before. I flipped a coin and it came up tails so I decided to include them on this list.

The Vikings: If they're willing to draft a cornerback in the second round with Xavier Rhodes, Trae Waynes, Terrence Newman and Captain Munnerlyn already on the team, I have to assume they're willing to do it with Rhodes, Waynes and Alexander on the team.

The Broncos - Aqib Talib is 31 and has entered into the "could be cut with minimal dead money" portion of his contract.

The Titans - Cornerback is a first round need for the Titans. But with the amount of cap room and talent on their roster, there is nothing stopping them from drafting a second one with their comp pick should he fall that far.

The Raiders - The Raiders free agent acquisitions in their secondary have not worked out as well as their fans would like. Jones could give them a long term replacement for Sean Smith should they decide to let him go either next year or in 2019.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to hurt him a lot more than an ACL would for instance. Achilles injuries are sill career altering at best and I think I saw a stat a year or two ago that only 1/3 recover enough to even play.

And this is a corner where the achilles is so important. His career really may be over before it has even begun. I wouldn't draft him until the back of the 5th maybe the 6th where you take flyers. Because at this point that is all he is.

#JDI
RandomCampBody

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
This is going to hurt him a lot more than an ACL would for instance. Achilles injuries are sill career altering at best and I think I saw a stat a year or two ago that only 1/3 recover enough to even play.

And this is a corner where the achilles is so important. His career really may be over before it has even begun. I wouldn't draft him until the back of the 5th maybe the 6th where you take flyers. Because at this point that is all he is.

Most people come back from Achilles injuries these days, it's not the career threatening injury it used to be a few years ago.
mse326

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandomCampBody wrote:
mse326 wrote:

Most people come back from Achilles injuries these days, it's not the career threatening injury it used to be a few years ago.

Just because it's better than it used to be doesn't mean it's good. The VAST majority never get close to where the were. It is still very much career threatening or like I said career altering at worst. Players still don't come back from it the way they can now come back from ACL tears.

#JDI
Viewsfromthe206

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love if Seattle could grab him in round 2. Let him sit, then hopefully plays opposite of Sherman once he heals
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich7sena wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
A lot of teams already sit their first round picks for much of the first season anyway.

This is a less than ideal route for most teams (unless at quarterback). A first round pick should be someone who can find playing time right away. I'd assume he'll be ready to go sometime during the season, but I think it's enough to sour teams for him to fall out of the first round.
Yet they still do it. He probably won't be a 1st round pick but there should be many teams more than willing to use their 2nd on him.

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
Counselor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crickett wrote:
I have him in the late third to Denver right now, but that's likely a knee jerk reaction to suffering the injury. He'll be out his rookie year and I doubt he'll be 100% year two. So, the way I look at it presently is:
1. What team needs a cornerback in the long term but can afford to wait on him this upcoming season and not expect too much the following season?
2. Out of those teams, which teams can afford to use a third round pick on a cornerback?
Options
The Bears. This is a rebuilding year for them and they know it. They've been dealing with cornerback issues for a while. They have Prince Amukamara, but it was a on year deal and who knows what their long term plans are for Kyle Fuller if they even have any.

The Jets. This is a reb..... crumbling year for the Jets. Aside from their defensive linemen, they have very little notable talent on defense. Even if they keep Buster Skrine this year, they probably won't keep him next year. Rome won't be built in a day and depending which cornerback they draft early on (assuming they select one at all), this could give them a nice young pair of cornerbacks down the line.

The Patriots. They have Gilmore and Butler for now. But do they plan to keep Butler? They have a pair of third round picks and if they're able to resign Hightower or someone else at middle linebacker, there's very little pressure for them to draft an immediate contributor anywhere.

The Bengals. Because they're the Bengals and it's an odd numbered year so they certainly can't draft one in the first round. That means they won't make an entirely unnecessary cornerback selection until at least the third round.

The Saints. I know nothing of the Saints and I've never watched the Saints play football before. I flipped a coin and it came up tails so I decided to include them on this list.

The Vikings: If they're willing to draft a cornerback in the second round with Xavier Rhodes, Trae Waynes, Terrence Newman and Captain Munnerlyn already on the team, I have to assume they're willing to do it with Rhodes, Waynes and Alexander on the team.

The Broncos - Aqib Talib is 31 and has entered into the "could be cut with minimal dead money" portion of his contract.

The Titans - Cornerback is a first round need for the Titans. But with the amount of cap room and talent on their roster, there is nothing stopping them from drafting a second one with their comp pick should he fall that far.

The Raiders - The Raiders free agent acquisitions in their secondary have not worked out as well as their fans would like. Jones could give them a long term replacement for Sean Smith should they decide to let him go either next year or in 2019.

This is exactly my thinking and I posted it just a bit ago in the Broncos
Forum. Denver would have to take him in the third if he was there. He could redshirt with us having Harris Talib and Roby and hopefully replace Talib the following season.

48 1/2ers wrote:
Ostriches have inverted knees and they're pretty athletic...

GIF of Ostrich Running Here...

The Wheat Grass Shooting Hippies made me get rid of it...
Art_Vandalay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas picked Jaylon Smith early 2nd despite him having a much more catastrophic injury. Smith was a better prospect though. I'd expect Jones to get taken late 2nd, early 3rd.

Bird Watch: DE Vinny Curry - Last seen robbing Philly of $47 mil
Techbert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put me down for the Browns with their last 2nd rounder. They have the luxury of picks and are tanking anyway.
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techbert wrote:
Put me down for the Browns with their last 2nd rounder. They have the luxury of picks and are tanking anyway.

I was thinking pick 65 our third round pick but wouldn't be mad about 52.

I don't think we are tanking

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art_Vandalay wrote:
Dallas picked Jaylon Smith early 2nd despite him having a much more catastrophic injury. Smith was a better prospect though. I'd expect Jones to get taken late 2nd, early 3rd.

Not really sure if you could consider Smith's injury worse than Jones' only because of their positions. Also Smith was arguably the best player in that draft before he got injured, Jones isn't at the same level as a prospect.

I would say he will likely go anywhere between mid-2nd to early-5th depending on if a team is willing/capable of letting him sit.

Personally I would love for the Saints to be able to grab him at the end of the 3rd with the pick from the Patriots if he's still there. They need defensive help badly and although Jones isn't going to be able to play right away, they are still getting what could possibly still be a 1st round talent after rehab, and if not, well they probably would've blown the pick with whoever they picked instead anyways so it's only upside IMO.
MookieMonster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An achilles injury is one of the hardest workouts to recover from, with him not being an elite prospect I'd honestly be surprised if he goes before the 4th.

I'd be willing to bet he gets drafted in the mid 4th or later, so unfortunate for a player who worked his butt off to have this happen at his Pro Day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: