Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NT Domato Peko signs with Den - 2 years 7.5M 3.8M guaranteed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Good signing or not?
Yes - helps run D with his brother around as well
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
No - should have gone with Hankins or Logan.
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 8

Zukhyubern

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked Peko, good signing. And not surprising considering his cousin plays for us. As far as Kerr, I think it's a great under-the-radar signing. I wouldn't be surprised if him or Peko get looks at DE, despite their size.
broncos67

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zach Kerr used to go to Maryland before transferring and he was in my communications 101 class. We were partners for a project and got drunk while figuring out what to talk about. Just a fun fact for everyone lol.

Thanks, Tzimisce
paul-mac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colts fans apparently loved him but they didn't bother to RFA tender him, strange

Fify.
mke1010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our run D was abysmal so what do we do? We go out and sign two guys who despite weighing a behemoth were equally terrible if not worse against the run than Sly.
Let's hope the whole change of environment thing plus coaches blv they can get more out of them. Dnt understand either signing. Logan and Hankins aren't looking for a ton of money and provide much better play.
After missing out on Calais, Denver is obviously penny pinching avail salary cap space. This shd be of major concern to the anti Romo brigade.
Dallas will ultimately release him and Denver is still a real possibility.
DiehardBronxFan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
Our run D was abysmal so what do we do? We go out and sign two guys who despite weighing a behemoth were equally terrible if not worse against the run than Sly.
Let's hope the whole change of environment thing plus coaches blv they can get more out of them. Dnt understand either signing. Logan and Hankins aren't looking for a ton of money and provide much better play.
After missing out on Calais, Denver is obviously penny pinching avail salary cap space. This shd be of major concern to the anti Romo brigade.
Dallas will ultimately release him and Denver is still a real possibility.

Not sure of the perspective these 2 were terrible against the run - I honestly don't know, but would like to better understand the basis for the assertion.

But I do agree that the way this is playing out smells to me like Elway is trying to keep his Room option open from a salary cap perspective. Not a Fan.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW in our altitude no way a 330 lb guy plays a full set of snaps. So I suspect Kerr and Peko rotate NT. Kerr has played 4-3 DT and 3-4 NT mostly - the looks where he is off C were mostly when Indy went to 4-3 as their 3-4 is a hybrid with 3-4, 4-3, 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 mixed in as well. It's no coincidence Elway signed both same day.

Still wish we had signed Logan or Hankins. Will be interesting to see what they sign for. Logan / Kerr or Hankins / Kerr would have been awesome.

Re: cap room left anything is possible. But keep in mind rollover is always a possibility for later deal to take on more salary or worst case 2018 spending. If you don't get the difference makers don't overspend for non elite guys. For a one year deal unless they get insane deals Hankins and Logan are difference makers so I would have gone there. But having extra cap space and passing on overspending for non-elite guys is Elway's MO - remember that as tight as things were last year after all the deals and maneuvering Elway left 6M+ in cap rollover to use for later (now). We need 3rd WR DE and maybe ILB (although I'd pass there no good value FA I recall but need to take another look) before the draft and if we want a trade for LT you need the cap room. Take away 6m in rookie deals and min wage salaries at our #20 draft slot from our 19-21m that's only 13-15m left (Stephenson 2m bonus the reason for variation).

Here's the hard breakdown DEN's salary cap right now:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/cap/

It says we have 25.7M left over, but keep in mind Peko and Kerr's deal aren't there - I'll assume 1M cap hit for Kerr (that's probably generous this early, but gotta guess), we know Peko's 3.8M for 2017. So let's put a 4.8M hit to the 25.7M left - that's just under 21M - and remember Stephenson could knock that down 2M more. So we are at 19M-21M, but more likely 19M.

If we trade for a LT, then that number goes down further:

Staley 8.25M 2017 salary
Thomas 8M 2017 salary
Veldeheer 6.75M 2017 salary + roster bonus.

You cut 7.5M from Staley, that's 11.5M. Or Thomas/Veldeheer, the resultis the same - we are left with low teens in cap money - 11.5-13M. You take away 6M rookie deals & min wage salaries, that's 5.5M - 7M. We could make 2.8M more room by cutting Virgil Davis, but that's only 8.3M - 9.8M left over, and we still have 3rd WR, at least 1-2 DE's (value range), and maybe a ILB (although I'd pass - the draft is actually pretty deep for ILB, and I don't see value signings in the ILB FA group). Anything is possible, but if people think we're saving the $ for Romo and a LT trade - once again, whether it was by FA mock before (which played out), or by trade now, the numbers don't work. And keep in mind that if Elway can't get a deal for a LT done, it hardly makes sense to put Romo behind this OL - and most important, cap rollover can be used for next year - just like last year, when Elway didn't use 6M, it rolled to this year.

Anyways back to the thread - I suspect the dual signings still leave us 1-2 DE short. But we have our 3-4 NT tandem. For better or worse. I wonder how much Peko's signing was due to VJ's familiarity - as much as we criticized Kubiak for being too loyal to his HOU guys, someone should at least raise this with Peko & CIN past, given how badly he rated there.

Last edited by Broncofan on Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
mke1010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Unfortunately, Peko hit a cliff last season and graded out as one of the worst interior defenders in the league with an overall ProFootballFocus grade of 42.6."

"Kerr, who played for the Indianapolis Colts the past three seasons wasn't much better, registering an overall PFF grade of 42.9. Sadly, he set the bar even lower with a 42.7 grade in respect to run defense."

http://www.milehighreport.com/2017/3/11/14895408/broncos-employ-bargain-bin-strategy-to-fortify-trenches
champ11

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, gotta say that from what I've seen/read about Peko - he's totally washed

Don't know anything about the other dude

team rammy

champ11

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ11 wrote:
Yeah, gotta say that from what I've seen/read about Peko - he's totally washed

Don't know anything about the other dude

Yeah gotta say for that much money i don't like it. Can't see him being better than a young guy.

team rammy

BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really underwhelming singing. I liked the idea of Peko on a vet min deal after a few splash signings, but at this price, with our offseason so far, ugly move IMO. He is a space eater that does nothing else at this point. I guess he hasn't really played in a 3-4 as a NT, so maybe he makes some unheard of late career jump in production. But right now, it looks like we just gave a 2 down run stuffer 4M per year, when we have his cousin already on the team at like 500K who probably can do the job just as well.

We should have waited and pushed for Bennie, Poe or Hankins at a cheap 1/year deal. If Peko signed somewhere else while waiting, that's fine, because he is a very replaceable talent.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: