Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gatoradus' Benjamin Buttons effect mock draft 2017

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Gatoradus' Benjamin Buttons effect mock draft 2017 Reply with quote

Doing it again, since it seem to be more exciting when we post up the picks backward. Something different also!

Plus, I'm keeping it simple as possible. No polls, no passive-aggressive, none of the crazy ideas like the ironcitykid got. (sorry)

7th round, 219th). Tony Conner, FS, Ole Miss. 6í0Ē 223 lbs.

Conner kept having the bad luck with injuries. When heís not hurt, he excels and last time that was in 2015, against the Alabama or Auburn, whichever it is. There are questions regarding his ability to stay healthy. Heís probably a project right now, his tackling makes him the good next potential special team Ace and he is rangy, somebody who can be develops into a starter in future. Will he, that is remains to be seen. I do like his game a lot, versatile and can play both positions. Heís a better centerfielder that he is in the box.

NFL COMPARISON: Rashad Johnson, Tennessee Titans

Highlights:https://youtu.be/_-4qbtlBGUQ

6th round, 187th). DeAngelo Brown, NT, Louisville. 6í0Ē 312 lbs.

Heís one of the best players not invited to the NFL Combine. Heís probably the strongest defensive lineman available (benched 225 lbs at 40 reps) and I do find it strange considering the NFL Combine shows majority of the defensive linemen having worst days or just put up mediocre numbers. This will hurt the defensive linemen class more because there are no impressive players from the class, really. However, fortunately for us, DeAngelo Brown makes for a great fit in our 3-4 defense. Heís your classic 3-4 nose tackle, occupying is the best skillset he has. He would make for a great situational defensive lineman or a rotation player. You probably are thinking, why him if we already have McCullers and Hargraves? For one, McCullers is going to to get thinner, he wants to be a rotational player and if that does happen, he will play as a defensive end too. Hargraves play both. This kind of does open up a roster spot for a player like DeAngelo Brown, heíd be in top 3 rounds if this was 2000. Because of his size, athleticism, strength, and hands usage; I can see him play as a defensive tackle in a 2-4-5 package too.

NFL COMPARISON: Casey Hampton, NFL retiree.

Highlight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN2Q3mkfZ78

5th round, 156th). James Connor, RB, Pittsburgh. 6í1Ē 233 lbs.

There are other good running back prospects; I am not after the ones that we can develop, but the ones that will be a good back-up to LeíVeon Bell. James Connorís story is well-known and everybody love him. Heís a great character, I donít see him becoming a very good starter, but he indeed can become a 3-downs back-up running back. Heís probably a lock to the 53-men roster, easily an upgrade over Touissaint.

NFL COMPARISON: TJ Duckett, NFL retiree.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byxgC3Hmlfk

4th round, 124th). Josh Malone, WR, Tennessee. 6í3Ē 198 lbs.

I have decided to look into the draft for a deep-threat receiver again. Past season proved one thing; Big Ben lost a big part of his passing game when there is no deep-threat. We need somebody reliable behind Martarvius Bryant (There are more info on Sammie Coates, will get into that later). Josh Malone is essentially the clone of Martarvius Bryant, minus the baggage (Although he didnít have those in college or it was unreported) Josh Malone have displayed the ability to play the deep-threat beautifully. His statistic appears to be mediocre mainly because of the bad quarterback playing. You canít do too much when a quarterback is throwing iffy deep balls and throws everywhere else.

Gratefully, for us Malone is known as being the one-trick pony and deep-threat is all heís really known for, he can and will blossom as a potential #2 for the Steelers.

NFL COMPARISON: Martarvius Bryant, Pittsburgh Steelers.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu34IM9UGLw

3rd round, 94th). Alex Anzalone, LB, Florida. 6í3Ē 241 lbs.

The 3rd round is one of the hardest place to pick a player. There are a range of wide receivers that I liked; just not where to get them and I fully expect a run on the tight ends in 2nd round which probably will leave us with a Heath Miller 2.0 in Jake Butt and do we really need that kind of tight end? Answer is not really, not that much of an upgrade from Jesse James. The pick, I however, keyed in Shamarko Thomasí departure. Yes, Thomas. Iím pretty heís gone and heís been a good Special team Ace for us. This pick is to replace him as the Ace for the special team and then play as a back-up to Shazier (Shazier get hurt every season, itíd be shaky behind him, we donít really have any playmaker).

I came with a logical decision, Anzalone is one scary prospect with his injuries. I donít know why or what happened, but I know this- he can easily replace Vince Williams in future and if he does, he will be the ďBuckĒ LB that we used to have and we can utilize this in our hybrid defense as well. Anzalone really is the best middle linebacker available, his injuries scare teams. Humor me, say his medical checks out, he is a player who realistically can play all downs and we wonít play our linebackers full games. We do need one more very good rotation linebacker and Anzalone fits the profile. This entails for more diversity and reduced PT for all linebackers, we do need them in the play-off after all.

NFL COMPARISON: Vincent Rey, Cincinnati Bengals.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB1kvG-bMdE

2nd round, 62nd and 3rd round, 105th pick with Sammie Coates traded to the Washington Redskins for the 2nd round, 49th pick.

This may come across as a shock, I donít think it should be. Even though we lost Markus Wheaton in the FA, we are embarrassingly rich with 3rd receivers, but not top two. This is not a shot at Sammie Coates, but more to do with who we already have and the transition we may make. Martarvius Bryant will be back (I hope so!) we already have Heyward-Bey, Rogers, Hamilton, and Ayers. This doesnít include the tight ends group. Say, Bryant do play, where does this leave Coates? I strongly feel like we can replace him with somebody from the draft, logically speaking I donít see where or how we can keep Bryant and Coates on the same roster. The Steelers kept Bryant despite of everything, I think that says a lot.

So why will the Redskins make the trade? I do see them making a selection of wide receiver in first two rounds and even still, they are sorely missing the players they lost (DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon) I suspect they may target somebody like John Ross. John Ross is officially the fastest ever to be recorded at the NFL Combine, still he is a split-out receiver and one of the better route-runner in the draft. If anything, they need a deep-threat player to compliment John Ross, enter Sammie Coates. I do think if a trade like this happen, we would get a higher 2nd round pick AND a later pick, just too much to factor in for a mock draft so this will do.

2nd round, 49th). Jordan Willis, OLB, Kansas. 6í4Ē 255 lbs.

Surprise! Heís the who we traded up for. This may confuse some people since I do see that there are some other pass rushers available that we could select instead. I donít like them enough to get them and I set up the rule for this draft; you pick the player based on either: they will start in three years (or sooner) or now. When the question came to the first part, hence why I want Willis over other more NFL-ready prospects. Still, Jordan is a very good player, raw as a pass rusher but proven tackler in a zone and his ability to read and react to add with the insane athleticism he already had is going to sweeten the deal.

The idea is going into this as an ideal concept of playing 3-3-5 for majority of the time, we already let Timmons walk and Vince Williams is a solid inside linebacker, heís probably two-downs linebacker though. So, when thinking of the 3-3-5, Jordan Willis makes a perfect ROLB for the scheme and as there will be some growing pains with the learning curve when it comes to his pass-rushing, he will be playing behind James Harrison who is still one of the best in the business. I learned that Jordan, himself is quite intelligent player and he already have one good pass rushing move that he could use repetitively if he wants: stack and shed, this can transform into a better bull-rushing, something James Harrison made a career out of.

NFL COMPARISON: Whitney Mercilus, Houston Texans.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg4X-8fNx0A

1st round, 30th). Kevin King, CB, Washington. 6í3Ē 200 lbs.

The Steelers were slightly aggressive in the free agency, pursuing the cornerbacks and they proved to be too costly for their own taste. For this reason, I think the Steelers would rather to sit back and wait for the NFL Draft. Now, Iím not arguing about our needs and more, Iím arguing on who will be available at the 30th pick. After the NFL Combine, we saw many mock drafts having our preferable players being taken before us and when we try to trade up, the cost is too high so we sit and wait for our pick.

So why Kevin King? Itís not that Cockrell was the worst cornerback; itís how he is upgradeable and replaceable easily. We got Artie Burns who seemingly performing well under many circumstances. I do believe he is a keeper, however Gay is getting up there in the age too and Senquez Golson still is an unproven commodity. Normal logic would be to go after a slot cornerback in the draft and leave Cockrell in there, I disagree. I do believe that our scheme was set up based on the limitation of our playersí capabilities. Which in the case, Cockrellís long speed. I donít like the idea of leaving him on the outside again, I do see him being very capable playing in slot with his size and physicality plus the recovery speed is adequate.

Kevin King surprised me with his fluidity and backpedaling, made me checked the game tape again to see what I missed. Of course, all the spotlight was on Sidney Jones, even though I was vastly impressed with Kingís desire of physicality as he will battle up with the ball in air. He has the size that appears to be rare for the cornerbacks, he seems to be a good complimentary to what Burns offer. Burns can cover shorter, but quick receivers and King can cover the physical and deep-threat receivers. I think we would be terrifying with them both pairing up. Kingís weaknesses however, is the ability to take up with shift and quick receivers. Thatís why we have Burns. I do see King develop to be a very good cornerback in the league for long time, he just need some tweaking with his usage of hands and techniques a bit so he doesnít get pushed backward too much.

NFL COMPARISON: Richard Sherman, Seattle Seahawks.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv8E4Z9HWZ0
JLambert58

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the direction you are going with it. (no pun intended) The positions and players look good relative to what we need. Don't know them all intimately but they seem to fit the bill pretty nicely.

I especially like Anzelone in the 3rd. If we could grab, I'd be excited for that. (especially now that Timmons is gone) I think they will bring in some competition for VW. Bet Matakevich will work his azz off to compete as well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they all good until they hit the training camp (Frank Summers or Gerald Holliman, anyone? lol)

That's the problem with this mock draft; when you GET to address the needs, it doesn't seem so bad, especially when you do it in the opposite direction.

The reality is it will be hard to address all the needs.

I do have a feeling we may not draft a safety due to unavailable of good prospects (UDFA though, that's possible).

I found out about Josh Malone just today, was surprised he wasn't exactly mentioned before. The rest, I already knew about.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
Yeah, they all good until they hit the training camp (Frank Summers or Gerald Holliman, anyone? lol)

That's the problem with this mock draft; when you GET to address the needs, it doesn't seem so bad, especially when you do it in the opposite direction.

The reality is it will be hard to address all the needs.

I do have a feeling we may not draft a safety due to unavailable of good prospects (UDFA though, that's possible).

I found out about Josh Malone just today, was surprised he wasn't exactly mentioned before. The rest, I already knew about.

Yeah, it's like Spring Training in baseball - it's all sunshine and optimism until reality sets in by June. Laughing

But I do think we can address most if not all of our needs in the draft. (as we are set at a good number of positions) The real challenge is getting the RIGHT guys that will fill the need. If we can do anything close to what we did with our first three picks last year and continue to add a couple of contributors in the late rds, we will be locked and loaded for 2017.

I'm pretty sure Safety WILL get addressed, especially with the loss of Shamarko. (not that he was much of a safety) Though I think Davis, Mitchell, Golden and Dangerfield are fairly decent going forward, I'd like to see another guy come in and challenge the pecking order.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willis is a guy who I'm really liking right now. I like King as well but I think he would be a terrific FS. He played some in college so he is a versatile DB. I've always like Conner.

Thanks to UniversalAuthor for the Sidney Crosby sig
jebrick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Willis goes in the 1st.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick- you know I have thought about that.

I'm not too sure after all the tight end class is boasting as one of the beset class anyone has ever seen. I saw the teams picking in the early 2nd round, the first 10 rounds. I can see where the cornerbacks, quarterbacks, and tight ends will go.

Willis is a blitzing OLB, he's not an EDGE player exactly.

I don't see any 3-4 defenses that may take him but of course, I saw a team like Broncos that may take him.

The logic is trading in front of Broncos and grab Willis, the Buccaneers doesn't have the need for a wide receiver, the Redskins do, hence the trade.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us trading up in the 2nd round now that we not only have a 3rd round comp. pick but we can trade it now too.

Regarding Kevin King;

I don't see a free safety but I do see a centerfielder cornerback who can play in a cover 3 scheme, albeit Charles Woodson. Kevin King can and will give us loads of hybrid scheme and playbook to utilize that we have Burns on the other side. I'm excited thinking about what can and will happen with them both pairing up. Mike Mitchell won't look so lost in centerfield anymore.
jebrick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
jebrick- you know I have thought about that.

I'm not too sure after all the tight end class is boasting as one of the beset class anyone has ever seen. I saw the teams picking in the early 2nd round, the first 10 rounds. I can see where the cornerbacks, quarterbacks, and tight ends will go.

Willis is a blitzing OLB, he's not an EDGE player exactly.

I don't see any 3-4 defenses that may take him but of course, I saw a team like Broncos that may take him.

The logic is trading in front of Broncos and grab Willis, the Buccaneers doesn't have the need for a wide receiver, the Redskins do, hence the trade.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us trading up in the 2nd round now that we not only have a 3rd round comp. pick but we can trade it now too.

I will disagree. Willis plays the run very well. He shows a high football IQ and is a high character guy. His biggest problem is that he is left handed and played Right side 98% of the time. I think that can be over come.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Willis stays in the first round; there will be a very good player falling into 2nd...

So in that case, who would it be? I'm not asking for a name, but a position-wise.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: