You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Time to apologize to Mac
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJerseypaint

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just happy the dude runs a tight ship. The press probably isn't clamouring for Jets news, but so far it looks like Macc is a guy who holds his cards close.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac is doing exactly what is necessary and is really instilling confidence. We had to purge that roster. Our fan base is so used to being over active in FA that when we sit back and are quiet and patient everyone goes nuts. This team won't be a quick fix like we are used to. However if this is done right and done patiently we could finally build a team that makes the playoffs every year for a good decade and that would be the most success this horrific franchise has ever had. We have out GM. Keep aligning the cards and we'll hopefully find a better coach next year too. A top pick in a QB heavy class with some young talent already established is a much better sell than this years situation. Mac was a terrific choice at GM, Bowles however was not at HC. Maybe he proves us wrong this year but when you lose a locker room that's on your leadership abilities and so far he doesn't have them. Good times ahead even if it doesn't appear that way yet.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
Mac is doing exactly what is necessary and is really instilling confidence. We had to purge that roster. Our fan base is so used to being over active in FA that when we sit back and are quiet and patient everyone goes nuts. This team won't be a quick fix like we are used to. However if this is done right and done patiently we could finally build a team that makes the playoffs every year for a good decade and that would be the most success this horrific franchise has ever had. We have out GM. Keep aligning the cards and we'll hopefully find a better coach next year too. A top pick in a QB heavy class with some young talent already established is a much better sell than this years situation. Mac was a terrific choice at GM, Bowles however was not at HC. Maybe he proves us wrong this year but when you lose a locker room that's on your leadership abilities and so far he doesn't have them. Good times ahead even if it doesn't appear that way yet.

I'll be honest, I don't blame him so much for last years locker room issues as much as I blame the vets that were there. I do agree that Bowles will be on the hot seat as far as his decision making and his time/game management. I'd be perfectly fine with moving on from him if those areas don't show improvement. It will be tough to blame him for W/L though I think.
GangGreen420

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
ekill08x wrote:

I'll be honest, I don't blame him so much for last years locker room issues as much as I blame the vets that were there. I do agree that Bowles will be on the hot seat as far as his decision making and his time/game management. I'd be perfectly fine with moving on from him if those areas don't show improvement. It will be tough to blame him for W/L though I think.

It's gotta be Bowles. I could understand one or two underperforming vets but not nearly all of them. The defense was a mess and there were things that just left you sitting there scratching your head. After the Steelers game it was evident he's not ready to be a head coach, and by the time we were out of contention, still playing Fitzpatrick and kicking field goals down 40 all I could do is laugh at the guy. I'm pretty confident he will be gone after this season.

That's why if we are gonna "tank", now is a good time to do it because it seems like we don't have a long term HC in place.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GangGreen420 wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:
ekill08x wrote:

It's gotta be Bowles. I could understand one or two underperforming vets but not nearly all of them. The defense was a mess and there were things that just left you sitting there scratching your head. After the Steelers game it was evident he's not ready to be a head coach, and by the time we were out of contention, still playing Fitzpatrick and kicking field goals down 40 all I could do is laugh at the guy. I'm pretty confident he will be gone after this season.

That's why if we are gonna "tank", now is a good time to do it because it seems like we don't have a long term HC in place.

I don't disagree, I think if the vets stop buying in it's easier for the other players to follow that than for them to follow the coach. Sure that is a coaching flaw to an extent but those personalities have been there longer than Bowles has. My biggest issue with Bowles is the in game decisions, I'm willing to give him a pass on his reluctance to pull the vets last season. This season I will make no excuses for him. Next year would be the time to bring in a new coach.
MP

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampantjet wrote:

He's gotten more out of late picks, and undrafted FA's than any GM we've had. IMO that is what makes a good GM even more than the guy that hits on ever first round pick (because that guy doesn't exist). Bill B has missed on a ton of first rounders but he always seems to find guys later on and that were undrafted that all play important roles on his team.

Like who exactly.... ? ...

Just because your late round draft picks cover for the wiffs you had in the early year doesn't make it OK. Bill B is null and void when it comes to conversations, they win... Super Bowls... so if Bill B thinks he's the smartest guy in the room I don't really care if he hits or misses.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MP wrote:
rampantjet wrote:

He's gotten more out of late picks, and undrafted FA's than any GM we've had. IMO that is what makes a good GM even more than the guy that hits on ever first round pick (because that guy doesn't exist). Bill B has missed on a ton of first rounders but he always seems to find guys later on and that were undrafted that all play important roles on his team.

Like who exactly.... ? ...

Just because your late round draft picks cover for the wiffs you had in the early year doesn't make it OK. Bill B is null and void when it comes to conversations, they win... Super Bowls... so if Bill B thinks he's the smartest guy in the room I don't really care if he hits or misses.

He hasn't really wiffed on any picks yet. Sure you may not like the Devin Smith pick now because he tore his ACL but at the time of selection we needed a speed guy that could take the top off the defense. Most outlets applauded us for the selection. We likely filled that speedster roll with an UDFA so that pick, while it could have been used in another area, there's no way anyone could have predicted he'd have a freak injury.

Maybe you don't like the Hack pick but there are a lot of sources that claimed he'd be a 1st-3rd round pick. We felt like a QB that would have arguably been taken #1 after his freshman campaign was worth the risk. The fact that Hack does have all the tools needed to be a franchise QB makes that risk worth it in my opinion. Our team is devoid of talent from the drafts we had before Macc so sitting Hack and working on his fundamentals while we try to build a team doesn't bother me. And since he was 2nd round pick we aren't as committed to him as we would be if we pulled the trigger on a QB in round 1.

Most of the players we have drafted by Macc made the roster where in years past we had gotten use to seeing guys from rounds 4-7 get cut within 2 years.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac's job isn't close to being done. I am a fan of him, and am interested in seeing how he approaches the draft now that we are in a full rebuild. But he needs at least another 2 years before we can really start judging him.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsfandan423 wrote:
Mac's job isn't close to being done. I am a fan of him, and am interested in seeing how he approaches the draft now that we are in a full rebuild. But he needs at least another 2 years before we can really start judging him.

Not sure he'll be here that long.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
Jetsfandan423 wrote:

Not sure he'll be here that long.

He should be. If he gets fired along with Bowles after this season that would be a mistake.
Rickjets2007

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fine with Bowles and Macc. 2 years ago most of the forum ppl where singing praise of bothe coach and gm.

In Macc's first year he had to spend all that cap space to satisfy the leagues requirement for meeting the NFL rules as they pertain to the salary cap. He signed some high priced free agents that performed well that year. He drafted satisfactorily.

Bowles led the team to a 10 win season.

Year 2 of the Bowles/Macc regime was not so good. Why? I feel Macc drafted well, but it is still to early to truly determine that. Most of the same guys he signed the year before regressed. Whether it was age or injuries, alot of those free agents fell off the map. Bowles did the best he could with what he had.

What is happening this year, is what should of happened 2 years ago. We are going through a full rebuild. He has trimmed a bunch of the fat off the roster. We are going from an older team to a much younger overall team.
What I hope happens from here is that we stick to our guns and play the young guys and get them experience. They need to play and be evaluated to see who is here for the long haul and who can not make it. This team is setup to not have a great season. And I am fine with that as long as there is a long term plan.

I am hoping we are tanking the season. No organization can come out and tell the fan base, "Hey we are tanking the season so we can get a shot at a top QB coming out next season." I hope that is what the plan is. It certainly seems like we are headed in that direction. Again, I am fine with that as long as we get that "Franchise QB."

After all, we have had some great teams with dominating defenses and still not made it to the big game. Over the past 16 years, the Superbowl has been one by Manning, Brady, Roethlisberger, Wilson and the anomaly Flacco. We are not going to do anything significant until we get a Franchise QB. So, my grading of Macc and Bowles will come 3 years from now. Let's see what happens.
K-Ro 25

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we don't sign Cutler or bring in Siemien/AJ, I'll without a doubt apologize. For now, I'm waiting.
jetsfanforlife

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In Macc's first year he had to spend all that cap space to satisfy the leagues requirement for meeting the NFL rules as they pertain to the salary cap.

This is probably the biggest media created fallacy and totally misunderstood by the "mindless sheep" Jets fans who just believe everything they read by reporters who don't have a clue what they are talking about. First anyone who claims that there's a "salary cap floor," minimum spending requirement in the NFL is 100% wrong. A salary cap floor would mean teams would have to spend a certain percentage of their cap. If this were true teams would never be able to clear out their caps since doing so often leads to big dead money hits, which eats up a large percentage of cap space, but wouldn't count towards the minimum. Teams would be stuck with an inflexible system which would prevent them from setting up their finances for the future by clearing out cap space.

The NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement, Article 12, Sections 9 - clearly lays out the how the league's minimum spending really works:

Minimum Team Cash Spending:

"(a) For each of the following four-League Year periods, 2013-2016 and
2017-2020, there shall be a guaranteed Minimum Team Cash Spending of 89% of the Salary Caps for such periods (e.g., if the Salary Caps for the 2013-16 and 2017-2020 are $100, 120, 130, and 150 million, respectively, each Club shall have a Minimum Team Cash Spending for that period of $445 million (89% of $500 million)."

As you can see the minimum spending is not a "cap floor, nor a salary floor," but is based upon cash spending over two four year blocks (2013-16) & (2107-20) not each year individually, but the 4 years combined. In 2011 and 2012 the CBA put no per-team cash spending minimum, a league-wide total of 99% cash spending of those two years caps were required and met. During the 4-year blocks teams must minimally spend 89% (in cash, not cap) of the actually cap (the one determined by the NFL, not the adjusted cap which includes the team's carryover). The minimum was met by every team 2013-16, there is also a league-wide spending requirement of 95% cash spending, and this too was met. If a team did fall short the NFL and NFLPA will back-charge them for the amount of the shortfall to reach the 89%, but this didn't happen and frankly there's no reason it ever will.

Cash spending is much different than cap in that things like signing bonuses, which get prorated throughout a contract, count in total as cash spending in the year it was paid. Joe Flacco was paid $30 million in cash during the 2013 season, but his cap hit was only $6.8 million. The reason for this was because Flacco received a $29 signing bonus which counted $5.8 million on 2013-17 caps, however for the purposes of "minimum spending" the entire $30 million was applied. During the 2014 season Flacco received a $15 million option bonus, which was prorated like the signing bonus. So Flacco was paid $21 million cash in 2014, all of which counts towards the minimum, but had a cap hit of $14.8 million.

If there was a "cap floor" Flacco would have counted $6.8 and $14.8 million in 2013-14 instead of $30 and $21 million which represents his cash payments. Basically a "cap floor" of 89% would make it very hard for teams to give bigger contracts, something the NFLPA certainly doesn't want. Also things like practice squad salaries, not likely to be earn, but were earned incentives and even some pre-diem monies also count towards the cash minimums since they are cash payments by a team.

The actual NFL salary caps were $123 million 2013, $133 million 2014, 143.28 million in 2015 and 155.27 million in 2016. So a total of the four years of $554.55 million, 89% is $493.5 million, which was the 89% cash spending requirement needed to be reached by the end of league year 2016 (March 8, 2017). In 2013-14 the Jets spent $211 million or 82% of those years caps in cash, but since the cap always goes up it's easier to make up a short fall later on since a higher cap allows for higher cash spending. Former GM John Idzik was clearing out payroll during the first two years (2013-14) of the required 4-year block, it made sense to do so during those years. Since the Jets had a $12.5 million carryover into 2015 their "adjusted cap" for 2015 was $155 million, which allows for cash spending well above the actual 2015 cap of $143.28 million. The Jets spent $158 million in cash that season, with proration cash spending can be higher than the cap. By the end of the 2015 season the Jets had spent 92.4% of the minimum cap requirements in cash with one year remaining. In 2016 they spent $171 million in cash, so the Jets spent $540 million (97.4%) in cash (2013-16) $46 million more than required.

The bottom line is Maccagnan spent the money in 2015/16, trading away valuable draft picks for high priced players no longer here (Marshall, Clady, Fitzpatrick), because Woody wanted a winner and he got it for one year. Of course like any team built with money it fell apart and now the Jets start over. The Jets could certainly have been more aggressive in 2015 than previous years, but there was no eye on the future, for example, since they had "all" this money in 2015 shouldn't they have locked-up Damon Harrison then? Look at DTs like Brandon Williams, Michael Brockers (both about $11-per) & Harrison (over $9 million per), the Jets probably could have gotten Harrison at $7.5 million-per if they signed him long-term in 2015, but that wasn't the strategy. Woody brought in a puppet who said yes sir, please don't say if Maccagnan had full autonomy he would have built the 2015-16 Jets the way he did? Woody got the one-year he wanted to raise tickets before it fell apart.

A more slow and steady approach, probably more aggressive than now but not as aggressive as was done, would have put this team in a better position to succeed. Remember the Jets couldn't afford guys like Olivier Vernon or Kelechi Osemele in 2016 (who's cash payment would have counted towards the minimum), because they blew the money that the idiot John Idzik left behind which supposedly couldn't be spent in a life time? In fact the Jets had to restructure Nick Folk in 2015, Buster Skrine and James Carpenter in 2016 just to stay under the cap those seasons. Also this idea that the Jets "got out" of deals after two years, well there's about $12 million in dead money in 2017 from Revis, Fitzpatrick, Clady and Folk, thanks to the bad cap management from 2015-16, just isn't true.

So when someone tells you the Jets had to spend "all" the money in 2015 because of cap rules they don't know, never read, nor researched, you can now explain how it works. Since 2017 is the start of a new block it makes sense to clear out payroll and that's exactly what the Jets are doing.

Last edited by jetsfanforlife on Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
ekill08x

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfanforlife wrote:
Quote:
In Macc's first year he had to spend all that cap space to satisfy the leagues requirement for meeting the NFL rules as they pertain to the salary cap.

This is probably the biggest media created fallacy and totally misunderstood by the "mindless sheep" Jets fans who just believe everything they read by reporters who don't have a clue what they are talking about. First anyone who claims that there's a "salary cap floor," minimum spending requirement in the NFL is 100% wrong. A salary cap floor would mean teams would have to spend a certain percentage of their cap. If this were true teams would never be able to clear out their caps since doing so often leads to big dead money hits, which eats up a large percentage of cap space, but wouldn't count towards the minimum. Teams would be stuck with an inflexible system which would prevent them from setting up their finances for the future by clearing out cap space.

The NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement, Article 12, Sections 9 - clearly lays out the how the league's minimum spending really works:

"(a) For each of the following four-League Year periods, 2013-201 6 and
2017-2020, there shall be a guaranteed Minimum Team Cash Spending of 89% of the Salary Caps for such periods (e.g., if the Salary Caps for the 2013-16 and 2017-2020 are $100, 120, 130, and 150 million, respectively, each Club shall have a Minimum Team Cash Spending for that period of $445 million (89% of $500 million)."

As you can see the minimum spending is not a "cap floor, nor a salary floor," but is based upon cash spending over two four year blocks (2013-16) & (2107-20) not each year individually, but the 4 years combined. In 2011 and 2012 the CBA put no per-team cash spending minimum, a league-wide total of 99% cash spending of those two years caps were required and met. During the 4-year blocks teams must minimally spend 89% (in cash, not cap) of the actually cap (the one determined by the NFL, not the adjusted cap which includes the team's carryover). The minimum was met by every team 2013-16, there is also a league-wide spending requirement of 95% cash spending, and this too was met. If a team did fall short the NFL and NFLPA will back-charge them for the amount of the shortfall to reach the 89%, but this didn't happen and frankly there's no reason it ever will.

Cash spending is much different than cap in that things like signing bonuses, which get prorated throughout a contract, count in total as cash spending in the year it was paid. Joe Flacco was paid $30 million in cash during the 2013 season, but his cap hit was only $6.8 million. The reason for this was because Flacco reviewed a $29 signing bonus which counted $5.8 million on 2013-17 caps, however for the purposes of "minimum spending" the entire $30 million was applied. During the 2014 season Flacco received a $15 million option bonus, which was prorated like the signing bonus. So Flacco was paid $21 million cash in 2014, all of which counts towards the minimum, but had a cap hit of $14.8 million.

If there was a "cap floor" Flacco would have counted $6.8 and $14.8 million in 2013-14 instead of $30 and $21 million which represents his cash payments. Basically a "cap floor" of 89% would make it very hard for teams to give bigger contracts, something the NFLPA certainly doesn't want. Also things like Practice squad salaries, not likely to be earn, but were earned incentives and even some pre-diem monies also count towards the cash minimums since they are cash payments by a team.

The actual NFL salary caps were $123 million 2013, $133 million 2014, 143.28 million in 2015 and 155.27 million in 2016. So a total of the four years of $554.55 million, 89% is $493.5 million, which was the 89% cash spending requirement needed to be reached by the end of league year 2016 (March 8, 2017). In 2013-14 the Jets spent $211 million or 82% of those years caps in cash, but since the cap always goes up it's easier to make up a short fall later on since a higher cap allows for higher cash spending. Former GM John Idzik was clearing out payroll during the first two years (2013-14) of the required 4-year block, it made sense to do so during those years. Since the Jets had a $12.5 million carryover into 2015 their "adjusted cap" for 2015 was $155 million, which allows for cash spending well above the actual 2015 cap of $143.28 million. The Jets spent $158 million in cash that season, with proration cash spending can be higher than the cap. By the end of the 2015 season the Jets had spent 92.4% of the minimum cap requirements in cash with one year remaining. In 2016 they spent $171 million in cash, so the Jets spent $540 million (97.4%) in cash (2013-16) $46 million more than required.

The bottom line is Maccagnan spent the money in 2015/16, trading away valuable draft picks for high priced players no longer here (Marshall, Clady, Fitzpatrick), because Woody wanted a winner and he got it for one year. Of course like any team built with money it fell apart and now the Jets start over. The Jets could certainly have been more aggressive in 2015 than previous years, but there was no eye on the future, for example, since they had "all" this money in 2015 shouldn't they have locked-up Damon Harrison then? Look at DTs like Brandon Williams, Michael Brockers (both about $11-per) & Harrison (over $9 million per), the Jets probably could have gotten Harrison at $7.5 million-per if they signed him long-term in 2015, but that wasn't the strategy. Woody brought in a puppet who said yes sir, please don't say if Maccagnan had full autonomy he would have built the 2015-16 Jets the way he did? Woody got the one-year he wanted to raise tickets before it fell apart.

A more slow and steady approach, probably more aggressive than now but not as aggressive as was done, would have put this team in a better position to succeed. Remember the Jets couldn't afford guys like Olivier Vernon or Kelechi Osemele in 2016 (who's cash payment would have counted towards the minimum), because they blew the money that the idiot John Idzik left behind which supposedly couldn't be spent in a life time? In fact the Jets had to restructure Nick Folk in 2015, Buster Skrine and James Carpenter in 2016 just to stay under the cap those seasons. Also this idea that the Jets "got out" of deals after two years, well there's about $12 million in dead money in 2017 from Revis, Fitzpatrick, Clady and Folk, thanks to the bad cap management from 2015-16, just isn't true.

So when someone tells you the Jets had to spend "all" the money in 2015 because of cap rules they don't know, never read, nor researched, you can now explain how it works. Since 2017 is the start of a new block it makes sense to clear out payroll and that's exactly what the Jets are doing.

EXCELLENT post. 2015 was honestly a lot of fun but it definitely set us back at least 2 years of losing at a minimum. I think we are finally taking the right approach however and this needed to be done a while ago. It would smart to only spend here or there until we are a few key pieces away from being a real contender and than you can indulge more in FA. Great explanation though.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfanforlife wrote:
Quote:

"(a) For each of the following four-League Year periods, 2013-201 6 and

Cash spending is much different than cap in that things like signing bonuses, which get prorated throughout a contract, count in total as cash spending in the year it was paid. Joe Flacco was paid $30 million in cash during the 2013 season, but his cap hit was only $6.8 million. The reason for this was because Flacco reviewed a $29 signing bonus which counted $5.8 million on 2013-17 caps, however for the purposes of "minimum spending" the entire $30 million was applied. During the 2014 season Flacco received a $15 million option bonus, which was prorated like the signing bonus. So Flacco was paid $21 million cash in 2014, all of which counts towards the minimum, but had a cap hit of $14.8 million.

If there was a "cap floor" Flacco would have counted $6.8 and $14.8 million in 2013-14 instead of $30 and $21 million which represents his cash payments. Basically a "cap floor" of 89% would make it very hard for teams to give bigger contracts, something the NFLPA certainly doesn't want. Also things like Practice squad salaries, not likely to be earn, but were earned incentives and even some pre-diem monies also count towards the cash minimums since they are cash payments by a team.

Very well written, I certainly know far more than I did before. I will argue that Macc's contracts given out in his first year are still good moves. How is he to know that Vernon or Osemele would be FA a year before they hit the market? If you look at the list of POTENTIAL free agents next season:

- Drew Brees
- Kirk Cousins
- Sam Bradford
- Matthew Stafford
- JPP
- Le'Veon Bell
- Larry Fitzgerald
- Alshon Jeffery
- Kam Chancellor
- Vontaze Burfict
- Ziggy Ansah
- Sheldon Richardson
- Tyler Eifert
- DeAndre Hopkins
- Jimmy Garoppolo

You get the point. Most of these guys will never see free agency. Some will get the franchise tag, some will resign before FA opens, and others will be traded. So to say Macc blew his money on 2015 when he has no knowledge of who will be a FA the following year is just ridiculous.

Secondly there is something to be said about his draft philosophy. He has said before that he signs players to fill holes in FA so he can go into the draft looking for BPA. Once he drafts those players he prefers to let them learn and get limited reps their first season, 1st round being the exception. Given that we were completely devoid of talent when he took over he went into FA and attacked our weakest area, CB/S, with big money. I won't argue that Woody likely pushed him to get Revis but based on how angry fans were after the way Idzik screwed Rex I think fans would have rioted if some serious steps weren't taken.

Fast forward to 2015 season, our relatively cheap backup QB was thrust into the starting roll and out performed anyone expectations. This was the worse thing that could happen because we weren't able to see Geno play with the talent that we finally put around him. Now the team wanted "their QB" back so we were forced to bring Fitz in or have a terrible locker room from the get-go. In the first 2 weeks we saw our vets start to fall off a cliff and by week 3 Fitz imploded with his 6 pick game and we lost Decker for the season. Last season was over as soon as that happened.

Now we get to this offseason, sure we have $12M in dead money but that hasn't been the reason we cut people and it hasn't been the reason players haven't signed with us. Most of Macc's draft picks have made the roster and he's taken calculated risks based on the information available to him at the time. In terms of rebuilding, maybe we were set back one year because we over performed in 2015 but we are in a good position heading into this next year. We've cleared all our cap space from the vets that weren't living up to their contracts, he gave us the flexibility to decide between Sheldon or Wilk while we waited on Sheldon's legal issues, we have guys who sat behind vets that are now ready to see significant playing time, we have the 6th pick in the draft which should land us a star player, our receiving core under Macc has been the best we've ever seen. While Hack is a polarizing player among fans we only spent a 2nd round pick on him so in the event that he turns into a franchise QB that will go down as one of our best picks in franchise history. If he falls flat on his face then we have Geno Smith 2.0 with better leadership skills as a backup. If Hack/Petty flop this season then we are looking to be in prime position to have a top pick in what looks to be a QB heavy draft that we haven't seen since Eli, Rivers, Big Ben.

So IMO the overspending in 2015 has not effected our future nearly as much as you seem to be suggesting.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: