Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders sign Marshall Newhouse OT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oakdb36

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Howard starting? Color me unimpressed if that happens. Complete liability on the right side.

We'll see what happens in the draft but from the options in FA, it was the right move to just hold onto him. It didn't make any sense to give 11M/Y to above average players or to give 6M/Y to Watson who has played in 27 out of 64 games in his career. I guess Alexander could compete for the spot but i wouldn't bet on it.
I think Cam Robinson would make a lot of sense at #24 but we need to adress the D a bit in FA first.
Darkness

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Howard starting? Color me unimpressed if that happens. Complete liability on the right side.

The offensive line was still a top 3 unit last season despite Howard starting at RT. Most teams have it a lot worse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamethus92 wrote:
Dessie wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Synyster wrote:
Quote:
Jordan Raanan‏Verified account @JordanRaanan

Marshall Newshouse's deal with Raiders was for 2 years and $3.5 million. Can earn another $1 million in playing time bonuses. #NFLFreeAgency

That's fair for a backup.

Yup, you think we keep Howard unless we get someone in the draft?

I'm not so sure Howard sticks around either way. We might be letting Newhouse compete with Alexander and Kirkland for RT.

Vadal Alexander and Denver Kirkland are not athletic and quick enough to play out in space. That's why they dropped mightily in the 2016 NFL Draft. They are better in the box. Let's just please stop thinking a 7th round player or a undrafted player could be the answer at RT. Draft Taylor Moton in the 2nd round of the 2017 NFL Draft and we will stop worrying about the RT for the next couple of years.
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
Jamethus92 wrote:
Dessie wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Synyster wrote:
Quote:

Marshall Newshouse's deal with Raiders was for 2 years and $3.5 million. Can earn another $1 million in playing time bonuses. #NFLFreeAgency

I'm not so sure Howard sticks around either way. We might be letting Newhouse compete with Alexander and Kirkland for RT.

Vadal Alexander and Denver Kirkland are not athletic and quick enough to play out in space. That's why they dropped mightily in the 2016 NFL Draft. They are better in the box. Let's just please stop thinking a 7th round player or a undrafted player could be the answer at RT. Draft Taylor Moton in the 2nd round of the 2017 NFL Draft and we will stop worrying about the RT for the next couple of years.

Vadal could be putting in work to get to a place to compete there. He has the skill set but needed to work on his footwork and his body makeup. I can see him in the running for the RT spot if he really gets after it this offseason. Kirkland is a RG IMO.

BTW There are plenty of guys that were undrafted or 7th rd picks that start on the OLine. Penn was a 7th rd pick and started 12 games his 2nd yr at LT for instance.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
Jamethus92 wrote:
Dessie wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Synyster wrote:
Quote:

Vadal could be putting in work to get to a place to compete there. He has the skill set but needed to work on his footwork and his body makeup. I can see him in the running for the RT spot if he really gets after it this offseason. Kirkland is a RG IMO.

BTW There are plenty of guys that were undrafted or 7th rd picks that start on the OLine. Penn was a 7th rd pick and started 12 games his 2nd yr at LT for instance.

Penn went undrafted.
reddevil

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
Jamethus92 wrote:
Dessie wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Synyster wrote:
Quote:

I too hope this is the plan with Vadal. I'd like to see him given a push in that direction and see what happens. A lot would as you say be down to cleaning up some things and in working on his shape but it's not like there have never been above average RTs in the league who are plodders. If it doesn't work out....no harm, no foul, he would stay inside. I really like our young, interior depth with him, Kirkland and Feliciano.
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
Jamethus92 wrote:
Dessie wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Synyster wrote:
Quote:

Penn went undrafted.

Dang I actually caught that but didn't change it. Thanks for the assist.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
Jamethus92 wrote:
Dessie wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Synyster wrote:
Quote:

Just for the record, I never said I believed Alexander or Kirkland would be "the answer" at RT. Just an assumption I made about training camp competition given the current state of the position. We absolutely need to address OT in this draft, but I wouldn't be surprised if the first few picks were defense.

Smack on the new sig
Gaetano

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

We'll see what happens in the draft but from the options in FA, it was the right move to just hold onto him. It didn't make any sense to give 11M/Y to above average players or to give 6M/Y to Watson who has played in 27 out of 64 games in his career. I guess Alexander could compete for the spot but i wouldn't bet on it.
I think Cam Robinson would make a lot of sense at #24 but we need to adress the D a bit in FA first.

Does Cam make it to 24? I'm absolutely fine with him or Ryan Ramczyk (sp?) at 24 as well. I think I'd prefer Ramczykm honestly
BayRaider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaetano wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Does Cam make it to 24? I'm absolutely fine with him or Ryan Ramczyk (sp?) at 24 as well. I think I'd prefer Ramczykm honestly

Rams the only RT I like. He's the only one I see at RT with no issues. Cam and seems more like a G in the NFL. And Bolles is a ZBS OL. I really don't want either of them.
Gaetano

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
Gaetano wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Does Cam make it to 24? I'm absolutely fine with him or Ryan Ramczyk (sp?) at 24 as well. I think I'd prefer Ramczyk honestly

Rams the only RT I like. He's the only one I see at RT with no issues. Cam and seems more like a G in the NFL. And Bolles is a ZBS OL. I really don't want either of them.

Agreed. I'm worried about Cam's balance, which seems to be the first note on all of his capsules (admittedly I'm not good at eyeball evals of OLs so I tend to lean heavily on these capsules). Ramczyk looks to be a solid RT type who might even be able to go to LT in a few years, a la Lane Johnson
RoyalMajesty51o

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
Jamethus92 wrote:
Dessie wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Synyster wrote:
Quote:

Penn went undrafted.

Sure Train. Sure.

The difference is Penn played well in college, never allowed a sack, went undrafted because he didn't have the typical LT measurements, and still showed he can still play LT even in the NFL. At 6-4, Penn is the shortest LT in the NFL.

Both Alexander and Kirkland struggled in space and showed they didn't have the skill set to be RTs, which again is why they dropped in the 2016 NFL Draft. However, they both showed they were quality guards in college especially LG-Vadal Alexander. There's nothing wrong with being LGs and RGs, but to think they can play RT every Sunday just because they played RT before even though they struggled in space would not be a smart decision. I would rather have good LG and RG depth with LG-Vadal Alexander and RG-Denver Kirkland than having a starting RT that will be a liability.
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
Jamethus92 wrote:
Dessie wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Synyster wrote:
Quote:

Penn went undrafted.

Sure Train. Sure.

The difference is Penn played well in college, never allowed a sack, went undrafted because he didn't have the typical LT measurements, and still showed he can still play LT even in the NFL. At 6-4, Penn is the shortest LT in the NFL.

Both Alexander and Kirkland struggled in space and showed they didn't have the skill set to be RTs, which again is why they dropped in the 2016 NFL Draft. However, they both showed they were quality guards in college especially LG-Vadal Alexander. There's nothing wrong with being LGs and RGs, but to think they can play RT every Sunday just because they played RT before even though they struggled in space would not be a smart decision. I would rather have good LG and RG depth with LG-Vadal Alexander and RG-Denver Kirkland than having a starting RT that will be a liability.

All I'm saying is that they have the org around them to improve their skill set. None of us know what they are doing in the off season but I would bet they are improving their diet and working on their body, footwork, technique and conditioning. All of which would help their issues in space. Never said it was a sure thing, just that if Vadal puts in the work he should get a shot. I'm also the first person touting for Moton to be drafted in here. I want the position fixed. Just understand this is real life and not my personal football video game where I'm the GM.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
Jamethus92 wrote:
Dessie wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Synyster wrote:
Quote:

Penn went undrafted.

Sure Train. Sure.

All I'm saying is that they have the org around them to improve their skill set. None of us know what they are doing in the off season but I would bet they are improving their diet and working on their body, footwork, technique and conditioning. All of which would help their issues in space. Never said it was a sure thing, just that if Vadal puts in the work he should get a shot. I'm also the first person touting for Moton to be drafted in here. I want the position fixed. Just understand this is real life and not my personal football video game where I'm the GM.

LMAOOOOOooooOOOO!!! Sorry to bust your bubble, but I HIGHLY doubt you was the first person that called for the Raiders to go after RT-Taylor Moton. Jacka is a huge fan of RT-Taylor Moton and so am I. Him and I brought up Moton to be drafted to the Raiders plenty of times especially when I had those mock drafts. There were others as well that called for Moton to be drafted here, but like many of us, we don't always feel the need to say I'm the first person to call this and that.

Anywho, the bottom line is I would rather have a player that's more suited to play RT than experiencing around with a LG and RG to see if they can play RT. If they're better off as offensive guards than offensive tackles, no need to ruin it. LG-Kelechi Osemele showed he can handle some LT duties and can be a serviceable LT, but he's better off as a All-Pro LG.
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
Jamethus92 wrote:
Dessie wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Synyster wrote:
Quote:

Penn went undrafted.

Sure Train. Sure.

LMAOOOOOooooOOOO!!! Sorry to bust your bubble, but I HIGHLY doubt you was the first person that called for the Raiders to go after RT-Taylor Moton. Jacka is a huge fan of RT-Taylor Moton and so am I. Him and I brought up Moton to be drafted to the Raiders plenty of times especially when I had those mock drafts. There were others as well that called for Moton to be drafted here, but like many of us, we don't always feel the need to say I'm the first person to call this and that.

Anywho, the bottom line is I would rather have a player that's more suited to play RT than experiencing around with a LG and RG to see if they can play RT. If they're better off as offensive guards than offensive tackles, no need to ruin it. LG-Kelechi Osemele showed he can handle some LT duties and can be a serviceable LT, but he's better off as a All-Pro LG.

You harp on the guys you bring up so much that it's worst than someone mentioning they were the first to point someone out. You adding that winkie smile emoji doesn't make it better and most of the time know cares about the UDFA you think you discovered.

I had Moton in my first mock on Jan 17th and I may have mentioned him in the draft thread prior to that. I didn't notice anyone bring him up before that but if you have proof then by all means bring it forth...

Wait, let me guess, you don't care enough or something. You only care enough to attack me on it but not to back up your claims as usual.

As for you argument of "experiencing around with" (what?) our rookies. I don't dispute they are better at G guard the moment and have campaigned from day 1 for an more suitable T to be brought in either in FA or the draft. The only point I was making was that since Vadal has played T at a high level before, he could use the support of an NFL program and coaching to improve enough in space to challenge the likes of Newhouse, a rookie or Howard for the RT spot. Whether you prefer it or not doesn't make it untrue.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: