Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 offensive line?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broncofan

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's early but 2 tidbits of note from Klis OTA report - https://twitter.com/mikeklis/status/860914672026779648

1. McGovern taking snaps at C. To me that tells me Max Garcia has the lead over Schofield at RG, since Garcia played C in college, his versatility wouldn't be considered as backup C unless the coaches weren't penciling him (for now) as the starter (should Paradis go down / need a breather, no sense in making the starting RG move over). And McGovern is 3rd. Also likely if he does OK James Ferentz doesn't stick on the active roster. Would add roster flexibility.

2. Bolles starting on 2nd team LT. Stephenson / Sambrailo starting at LT. I'd expect it's a case of making the rookie earn the gig and nothing more.

McGovern's play at C will be worth following. Positional versatility will be needed for sure, given our D-line needs rotational depth, and our ST return guys will go 3-deep on the 53-man roster (C-Henderson, Langley and McKenzie).
Broncofan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's no surprise, but Garcia's taking all the snaps at RG in the voluntary workouts.

Barring injury (which is still very possible with Watson), it sure looks like Watson-Garcia-Paradis-Leary-Bolles is our Opening Day lineup. Bolles is still on the 2nd team, but again, I'd expect that's VJ & co. making the rookie earn it. Paradis, as expected, isn't ready to take the field yet, so McGovern's progress at C given Garcia is being pencilled in as the RG starter, is going to be really something to look for at OTA's.

Renck's already projecting Watson as RT and Bolles at LT, FWIW:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/broncos/on-guard-broncos-ron-leary-prepares-to-implement-physical-style
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I need Renck to tell me who will be the LT and RT, but I guess it eliminates me from having to think about anything.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
Not sure if I need Renck to tell me who will be the LT and RT, but I guess it eliminates me from having to think about anything.

Come on jst, ya gotta love the way the press simplifies these things. Laughing Makes it so much easier for us uneducated fans.

As simple as it obviously must be, I've still got a few questions which I'll list in no obvious order.

Do either Stephenson or Sambrailo realize their career is on the line and play far far better than they have? Being borderline contributors/starters on the worst OL in football isn't really a glowing recommendation.

Can Watson stay healthy? Nuff said.

Is Leary going to be a drastic improvement over Garcia? Hard to say. His resume has him as the weak link on the best OL in football, surrounded by pro bowlers. Both men seem to have lateral mobility, change of direction issues.

Is McGovern lining up at center just because he's a draft pick or is he really auditioning as a swing interior OLineman.

Where does Schofield come into play? Are they really moving him back outside as a swing OT?

Anyway, that's just a few. Come the first set of OTA's I'm sure more will arise.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
I've still got a few questions I'll list in order....

Is McGovern lining up at center just because he's a draft pick or is he really auditioning as a swing interior OLineman.

Where does Schofield come into play? Are they really moving him back outside as a swing OT?

Anyway, that's just a few. Come the first set of OTA's I'm sure more will arise.

No way to know if McGovern is getting special treatment as a draft pick - but the backup C/interior swing role is definitely looking like a real option for DEN & Elway - they just cut the only other guy with past NFL experience at C in James Ferentz this afternoon. With Garcia pencilled in at RG the McGovern as interior swing guy angle is definitely more than smoke.

I'd imagine Schofield is a swing G/T and McGovern a swing G/C with this news, confirmed below:

https://twitter.com/troyrenck/status/862372894244044806 - not just stating the obvious, lol, Renck truly is the guy most connected to Elway these days.

P.S. I'd imagine we likely keep both Stephenson and Sambrailo barring another signing, with Watson's injury risk we need 4 T's on the roster (if not more). Would love to see King Dunlap come in as a late FA signing since we'd save 2M by releasing Stephenson. He'd be a backup for both T positions and as previously discussed, he already knows McCoy's power scheme well. But yeah this sure looks their last shot to stick with us in any meaningful role. I think the guy looking on the outside might be Billy Taylor as his entire salary is also not guaranteed at 800k given he only plays G, but who knows at this stage. OTA's should be fun to watch.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
Stephenson. He'd be a backup for both T positions and as previously discussed, he already knows McCoy's power scheme well. But yeah this sure looks their last shot to stick with us in any meaningful role. I think the guy looking on the outside might be Billy Taylor as his entire salary is also not guaranteed at 800k given he only plays G, but who knows at this stage. OTA's should be fun to watch.

Not just us I think. If Stephenson can't make it here or in KC just where does he go? He might have to add "would you like Fries with that" to his favorite phrases.

Sambrailo may get a "prove it" shot somewhere else but that's a reach unless he's drastically improved, definitely a possibility.
jolly red giant

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Elway doesn't cut Stephenson and sign Dunlap then it means that McCoy doesn't want Dunlap.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jolly red giant wrote:
If Elway doesn't cut Stephenson and sign Dunlap then it means that McCoy doesn't want Dunlap.

With Jeff Davidson as our OL coach who coached Dunlap with McCoy in 2016, there's every reason for them to want to bring Dunlap in. If they don't, hard to argue that they didn't do their research on him, no one knows better what he's got left than McCoy/Davidson.

With the deadline passing for contracts that count against the comp pick formula yesterday, I'd guess Dunlap will sign soon. His supposed February DV incident was cleared up, no charges, no NFL action being considered, so either they don't think Dunlap can stay healthy (he missed last 3 games with knee/ankle issues), or they are waiting for him to show he's 100 percent. With Stephenson getting cut saving us 2M, it likely won't be about $, since no one is getting even that much right now in FA deals, and Stephenson is a UFA after this year too.

Will be interesting to watch, NYG & BAL could also use T depth, so I doubt he will remain unsigned for much longer, barring injury he's still recovering from, given how bad the T market is nowadays.
thebestever6

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This line is going to be so much better this year. You have Garcia who fits this power scheme. Leary who also fits, Paradise is a stud and if he can't fit the scheme or gets banged up which I think is why Mcgovern is at center. Essentially our worst lineman from this year could still be better than the second best lineman last year.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
Counselor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish we would have taken the Cowboys trade down to 28. They would have moved up to get Harris. We would still have a likely shot at our choice of OT. And if not Ram and Robinson were still there. It's all hindsight but if Ram and CamRob are better than Bolles..:

48 1/2ers wrote:
Ostriches have inverted knees and they're pretty athletic...

GIF of Ostrich Running Here...

The Wheat Grass Shooting Hippies made me get rid of it...
AKRNA

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counselor wrote:
Wish we would have taken the Cowboys trade down to 28. They would have moved up to get Harris. We would still have a likely shot at our choice of OT. And if not Ram and Robinson were still there. It's all hindsight but if Ram and CamRob are better than Bolles..:

Lets just hope fans don't freak out if the other two perform better than Bolles this year. I fully expect it and have mentioned it before.

IMO, he'll start leaving both in the dust from year two on.
Counselor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
Counselor wrote:

Lets just hope fans don't freak out if the other two perform better than Bolles this year. I fully expect it and have mentioned it before.

When he is already 26...

48 1/2ers wrote:

BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counselor wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
Counselor wrote:

When he is already 26...

The number of offensive tackles 25 and under who play at a high level is reeeeeally low.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counselor wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
Counselor wrote:

When he is already 26...

I just don't get the hang up with Bolles age. Lots of O Linemen play well into their 30's. Zimmerman turned 25 in his rookie year and played another 12 at the top of his profession. Tony Jones retired at 34 after 13 years in the league.

Bruce Mathews wasn't much as an O Lineman his 1st 5 years in the league. He got his 1st all pro when he turned 27 and was a pro-bowl selection every year until he retired at 40. He arguably played his best ball from 31 to 40 with 10 straight pro-bowl selections and 5 1st team all pro.

Anyway, age just doesn't have a detracting factor in the trenches. Older is usually better with few exceptions.
Counselor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't know if Bolles will ever be great though. So regardless I would have rather had Cam Robinson. Bolles is already at an age where he may be maxed out physically and he has the lower body of a certain Baylor DE.

48 1/2ers wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: