Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 offensive line?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKRNA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
I actually don't mind Elway's approach to letting players walk if they ask for more than what we believe they are worth, but the caveat is that you need to draft well to replace them. Elway did not draft well to replace Trevathan, Jackson, and Sly Williams. He did draft well to potentially replace Ward with Simmons.

The comp pick system is one good teams use wisely and can benefit greatly from. I agree we shouldn't have paid Jackson, but in hindsight, we should have paid Danny and not paid Anderson. Hindsight is always 20/20 though.

There's also a part of the front office world people overlook a lot. Denver does right by their players by and large. That does wonders for perception. They also need to balance not paying so much with being a place that agents steer their clients to. Being too hard line hurts with perception, and being too generous with cash gets you into cap hell.

I don't mind that either. Where I think he fails is by allowing players to become FA's before he starts discussions on extensions.

Neither DT nor Von should ever been allowed to reach FA. Letting thee "market" decide their value is a very expensive proposition. Roby will be the next. If we see him as our future starter this is the time to negotiate an extension, not when he becomes a FA.

Von was absolutely the right decision because we got to exercise a cheaper fifth year option. DT, yes, they shouldn't have tagged him and waited, but at the same time, his deal is a steal at this point for his production.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. By allowing each player to reach UFA requirements we lose any leverage in re-signing. Von's 5th year wasn't much of a steal considering he got paid around $10million.

My point is, both Von and DT are examples of a failed financial policy. Rather than extending them after their 3rd or 4th year for a significant discount we let them become FA's and paid the league premium price.

Basically, they just add to the list of other UFA's on the roster.
thebestever6

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
I actually don't mind Elway's approach to letting players walk if they ask for more than what we believe they are worth, but the caveat is that you need to draft well to replace them. Elway did not draft well to replace Trevathan, Jackson, and Sly Williams. He did draft well to potentially replace Ward with Simmons.

The comp pick system is one good teams use wisely and can benefit greatly from. I agree we shouldn't have paid Jackson, but in hindsight, we should have paid Danny and not paid Anderson. Hindsight is always 20/20 though.

There's also a part of the front office world people overlook a lot. Denver does right by their players by and large. That does wonders for perception. They also need to balance not paying so much with being a place that agents steer their clients to. Being too hard line hurts with perception, and being too generous with cash gets you into cap hell.

I don't mind that either. Where I think he fails is by allowing players to become FA's before he starts discussions on extensions.

Neither DT nor Von should ever been allowed to reach FA. Letting thee "market" decide their value is a very expensive proposition. Roby will be the next. If we see him as our future starter this is the time to negotiate an extension, not when he becomes a FA.

Von was absolutely the right decision because we got to exercise a cheaper fifth year option. DT, yes, they shouldn't have tagged him and waited, but at the same time, his deal is a steal at this point for his production.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. By allowing each player to reach UFA requirements we lose any leverage in re-signing. Von's 5th year wasn't much of a steal considering he got paid around $10million.

My point is, both Von and DT are examples of a failed financial policy. Rather than extending them after their 3rd or 4th year for a significant discount we let them become FA's and paid the league premium price.

I agree with you with DT. With Von I know he had off tge field issue's early on and tore his acl. So I'm not sure what leverage elway had. I think Von was set in proving his worth which he did. Im not a huge fan of the contract but people on here said you need to do it to keep team moral. Now, I would of traded Von but Elway decided to keep him and Von knew he had a prove it deal.

In regards to Roby he would be signed or will be but he wants to do tge contract talk. Not everyone is a chris harris or derek Wolfe.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebestever6 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

I agree with you with DT. With Von I know he had off tge field issue's early on and tore his acl. So I'm not sure what leverage elway had. I think Von was set in proving his worth which he did. Im not a huge fan of the contract but people on here said you need to do it to keep team moral. Now, I would of traded Von but Elway decided to keep him and Von knew he had a prove it deal.

In regards to Roby he would be signed or will be but he wants to do tge contract talk. Not everyone is a chris harris or derek Wolfe.

So glad you are not the GM for the Broncos...trade Von?!?!?! He is the face of the Broncos now, and will be for the next six years.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

To be fair though Von's 5th year option and Peyton's restructure allowed us to get guys like Darian Stewart and Vance Walker and Evan Mathis. So while it hurts now it was a key element to our SB win. Agree with you in theory AKRNA but in this case flags fly forever when talking about Von. Agree with your point in general but there's context with Von.
thebestever6

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
thebestever6 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

So glad you are not the GM for the Broncos...trade Von?!?!?! He is the face of the Broncos now, and will be for the next six years.

Players get injured, they lose a step, they get old. So is Von worth the 116 million dollar contract now yes no question. But will he be
in 4 years I doubt it. Look a JJ watt now with the back issues.

I'm not a fan building around one player on D. On offense yes franchise qbs deserve to be paid.

With regards to Von we'll have to see what Mack, Donald, Bosa get in the coming years to see if it was worth it.

It be cool to know what broncos could of gotten for Von. If we could of landed Bosa in a deal that's 5 years of good production on the cheap.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
broncos67

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

I hear what you're saying but I think you're overlooking the realities of cap management. Von Miller is an elite player and he was playing on a rookie contract. Why would you put yourself in cap trouble by paying him more money before you have to, given the different in AAV with his rookie contract? I don't view this as a failure at all on Elway's end. You're also assuming a player like Von, widely panned as one of the premier defenders in football, is going to be okay with taking a lesser amount when he knows his market worth is FAR greater.

The reality is AK, when you have premier players, you most of the time have to pay them premier price. Guys like Wolfe and Harris are exceptions to the rule. The problem is not paying guys like Von and DT elite money (which now looks like a steal) but when you pay guys who aren't elite ridiculous sums of money.

Thanks, Tzimisce
AKRNA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:

To be fair though Von's 5th year option and Peyton's restructure allowed us to get guys like Darian Stewart and Vance Walker and Evan Mathis. So while it hurts now it was a key element to our SB win. Agree with you in theory AKRNA but in this case flags fly forever when talking about Von. Agree with your point in general but there's context with Von.

That's fair. In the short term that probably helped secure a SB victory. My issue is whether or not it's a sustainable "long term" policy. I don't believe it is.

Offering a kid a guaranteed financial future 3 years into a career has a lot of benefit for both sides.

For the player he's financially set for life. He's now protected, once again financially, from any injury, career ending or otherwise, that may occur in his 4th year. He also receives a substantial raise in his 4th year. What he gives up is probably a 10-20% annual long term decrease in pay as opposed to playing out his contract to become a UFA.

It's a roll of the dice, bird in the bush/bird in the hand thing. Risk versus reward.

Anyway, it's a philosophy Belichick has used successfully. He's a master at it.

By the way, lots of good points from all in this discussion.
broncos67

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
Broncofan wrote:

That's fair. In the short term that probably helped secure a SB victory. My issue is whether or not it's a sustainable "long term" policy. I don't believe it is.

Offering a kid a guaranteed financial future 3 years into a career has a lot of benefit for both sides.

For the player he's financially set for life. He's now protected, once again financially, from any injury, career ending or otherwise, that may occur in his 4th year. He also receives a substantial raise in his 4th year. What he gives up is probably a 10-20% annual long term decrease in pay as opposed to playing out his contract to become a UFA.

It's a roll of the dice, bird in the bush/bird in the hand thing. Risk versus reward.

It's much easier to say this as a casual observer than what the realities of the NFL are. Again, what you're suggesting requires two parties to agree. Why on earth would someone like Von, who is an elite player, one of the best in the game, take a fraction of what he could and should be earning? 20% of a players career earnings is a LOT of money. As I said, elite players are an anomaly here. They deserve the money they are paid, and in a rising cap they are ultimately worth their deals pending injury and if you have a smart cap guy.

The problem is when marginal talent gets paid big bucks and the team is left in cap hell. I think paying elite players top dollar is absolutely a doable long-term strategy, but as a team you have to be clear on what types of players you're willing to pay for. A likely HOF pass rusher? Worth it. An elite ILB? Probably not as much.

Thanks, Tzimisce
germ-x

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
Broncofan wrote:

It's much easier to say this as a casual observer than what the realities of the NFL are. Again, what you're suggesting requires two parties to agree. Why on earth would someone like Von, who is an elite player, one of the best in the game, take a fraction of what he could and should be earning? 20% of a players career earnings is a LOT of money. As I said, elite players are an anomaly here. They deserve the money they are paid, and in a rising cap they are ultimately worth their deals pending injury and if you have a smart cap guy.

The problem is when marginal talent gets paid big bucks and the team is left in cap hell. I think paying elite players top dollar is absolutely a doable long-term strategy, but as a team you have to be clear on what types of players you're willing to pay for. A likely HOF pass rusher? Worth it. An elite ILB? Probably not as much.

I definitely see both sides of the argument. What Denver was able to do with Harris and Wolfe was exceptional. Both guys signed for less than they'd have gotten on the market, so kudos to Elway and Company for getting that done. That's not the case for every player though and you have to show the willingness to pay your best or Denver won't be a destination of choice.

While Harris and Wolfe are terrific players, they are not at the caliber that Miller is. After JJ Watt (who's an injury risk at this point) there isn't a more dynamic defender in the league than Miller. I know, his motor runs hot and cold a bit, which isn't the case with Watt. However, on the brightest stages Von Miller is as good a defender as there is, literally no flaws in his game. He is a generational type of talent that you can't let walk or test the market in his prime. Belichick doesn't do that in NE. Yes, he does let excellent players go, but it's not players of Von Miller's caliber and if at one point they were he doesn't move them until they start showing signs of decline. If Miller stays healthy that won't be until his current contract runs out.
broncosfan_101

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So everything but RG seems to be settled at this point, and that will probably be a battle between Schofield, Garcia, and Sambrailo. None of those options wow me, but it could be (and has been) worse.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan_101 wrote:
So everything but RG seems to be settled at this point, and that will probably be a battle between Schofield, Garcia, and Sambrailo. None of those options wow me, but it could be (and has been) worse.

If Garcia doesn't run away with the job, we do have to think long-term at G. Schofield is a UFA in 2018. No way he's worth retaining at UFA prices that RT commands. Sambrailo is a huge stretch to believe will work at G. Finally, we are set at LG with Leary for 2017-18, but the guaranteed $ runs out after that - at his age, it's a great move by Elway, in case wear and tear, or injury hits (always a risk with guys with his mileage).

As much as I didn't want T to be taken at 1.20 the way the draft fell, going G on Day 2, if a guy like Dan Feeney or Dion Dawkins is there at the right spot (I have zero belief Forrest Lamp lasts beyond the first 10 picks of Rd 2, too good of a value) would be good picks. The G class is getting a bad rap, and why I argued for Lamp as the one 1.20 pick I could justify (because he's the highest ceiling and very safe floor G IMO). Lots of ways we can go Day 2, but I'd just say G isn't necessarily one we are finished with draft-wise, and I'd argue there's way more value and depth than T.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan_101 wrote:

Sambrailo is not a OG, he's a rich man's Bolles. He's a OT or nothing at all. Had Elway/Russell drafted Robinson or Lamp at least there would be a backup plan if (when) they fail at OT to move inside. With Bolles, like Sambrailo, there is no turning back. It's a premium pick down the drain.

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
champ11

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
broncosfan_101 wrote:

Sambrailo is not a OG, he's a rich man's Bolles. He's a OT or nothing at all. Had Elway/Russell drafted Robinson or Lamp at least there would be a backup plan if (when) they fail at OT to move inside. With Bolles, like Sambrailo, there is no turning back. It's a premium pick down the drain.

Samrailo doesn't have the right attitude. All the guys on our line last season were dweebs to be honest. Before that we had Vazquez and Harris to set the tone. Before adding Leary, Paradis was our best player but as a leader/attitude setter I don't think he's the right guy.

Hearing AKRNA and others talk about Bolle's attitude is promising to me. The features on Oakland's line last year were all about how those dudes were a cohesive, mean unit. That's a tone that we didn't have and it seems like Bolles could change that. I like that aspect of this pick. Don't love the value and idk if he can play but I'll defer to y'all on that one

team rammy

elliot878

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ11 wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
broncosfan_101 wrote:

Samrailo doesn't have the right attitude. All the guys on our line last season were dweebs to be honest. Before that we had Vazquez and Harris to set the tone. Before adding Leary, Paradis was our best player but as a leader/attitude setter I don't think he's the right guy.

Hearing AKRNA and others talk about Bolle's attitude is promising to me. The features on Oakland's line last year were all about how those dudes were a cohesive, mean unit. That's a tone that we didn't have and it seems like Bolles could change that. I like that aspect of this pick. Don't love the value and idk if he can play but I'll defer to y'all on that one

Yea Sambraillo is just a softy, no chance in the league at the position. Gotta be a d!ck an beat people up on the line. I think with Leary and Bolles we got a much needed attitude adjustment. The left side is going to enjoy bullying people.

I actually worry more about RT than I do about RG. I'm fine with Garcia/McGovern in a power scheme. They fit the scheme and Garcia we know is serviceable in the scheme. Not gonna be a Pro-Bowler, probably not going to be a sieve in pass pro, and isn't going to get bullied in the run game... fine by me.

At RT Watson has always been injured and ineffective. Stephenson stinks, Sambraillo will be cut.

I wouldn't be against double dipping at OT in this draft just to see what happens, or getting RG/RT type like Moton or that massive dude from Florida (Sharpe?).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sambrailo is not a OG, he's a rich man's Bolles

Ty is not a rich mans Bolles. He is a homeless mans Bolles who has been emasculated.

I dislike the Bolles pick, but he is a far superior prospect to Ty. Better in every aspect outside age. Better athlete, better motor, better mean streak, better base strength (Even if still not that good IMO). Ty might have been a better technician coming out, but even that is arguable.

Ty just sucks, always has sucked and always will suck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: