Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Free Agents v2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vegas492

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlondeonBlonde wrote:
Cadmus wrote:
{Family Ghost} wrote:
Cadmus wrote:
{Family Ghost} wrote:
The Richard Sherman trade talk is heating up .. doubtful the Packers are in on anything, but I really think they should be. Adding Sherman would be an all-in type acquisition. That dude still has some good football in him. He'd be a sweet addition. I take it many other teams would outbid us though.

A Sherman trade makes (almost) zero sense for us.

How is that? The dude instantly becomes our #1 corner and moves House, Randall and Rollins down a notch. Our secondary would be greatly improved. We can afford to add Sherman's salary as well .. basically replaces Shields deal. An upgrade all around.

1) The DPs/players you have to give up in exchange (have you seen this CB class?). Really... this should be the end of the argument.

2) The contract... by itself it's fine, but you have to pay Clinton-Dix, Adams, and at least a few others in 2018. That becomes significantly more difficult to manage when you commit 11 Million to Sherman in 2018 on a team that's already bottom 10 in 2018 cap space. Add another 8-9 cap hit for Clinton-Dix and another 6 in cap hit for Adams and *poof*... everything is gone. (You will probably argue that you can just cut someone like Matthews, but that's not how the Packers operate/plan for the future). They aren't going to cap strap themselves to accommodate a declining talent that's not on a bargain/value contract.

3) Sherman's game will age like cheese, not like wine. That's not an elite athlete... and I already typed up a rather lengthy post about the types of CBs that play well up to and beyond the age of 30... when people were discussing Trumaine Johnson. All of those players have far superior athletic profiles to Sherman.

I think reasons 1 & 3 are precisely why the Seahawks consider him expendable. Unfortunately, they'll probably find some stupid GM that will sell the farm for him.

I'll offer this up...Schneider isn't stupid. He knows this draft class. And he knows Richard Sherman.

Sherman is a difficult personality to manage. He publicly argues with coaches and has sideline antics. And last year he didn't play as well as prior years.

Put them together and Schneider "wins" by leaking that he'd trade Sherman. Maybe someone bites and Schneider gets draft picks for his aging, argumentative corner, maybe no one does and his aging, argumentative corner learns that even he is replaceable.

Only way Schneider "loses" is if Sherman pouts and goes in the tank for the year because of these trade talks. Given his competitive spirit, I'm unsure if that happens.
From my perspective, and I don't know if Brett would say this [publicly] -- I know he's shared with me -- we would not be nearly as appreciative of everything that the Packers are had we not seen it from the other side," ---Ryan Longwell 2016
Cadmus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a buddy that's a Seahawks fan that told me he thinks Sherman only has 2-3 more years left in the NFL....In September.

It's a person I trust, and I tend to agree. It's like I said for Trumaine Johnsons (btw, why do you think the Rams don't want to commit long-term money to him?) once he loses a step he's done.

Elite length doesn't age well, elite speed does.
CWood21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{Family Ghost} wrote:
The Richard Sherman trade talk is heating up .. doubtful the Packers are in on anything, but I really think they should be. Adding Sherman would be an all-in type acquisition. That dude still has some good football in him. He'd be a sweet addition. I take it many other teams would outbid us though.

Cost is prohibitive to say the least. And not just in terms of what they would likely have to give up. They reportedly want a good [young] player and a high draft pick according to the Miami Harold. That probably means they'd want something like Jason Spriggs and a 2nd round pick for him, minimum.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlondeonBlonde wrote:
Cadmus wrote:
{Family Ghost} wrote:
Cadmus wrote:
{Family Ghost} wrote:

A Sherman trade makes (almost) zero sense for us.

How is that? The dude instantly becomes our #1 corner and moves House, Randall and Rollins down a notch. Our secondary would be greatly improved. We can afford to add Sherman's salary as well .. basically replaces Shields deal. An upgrade all around.

1) The DPs/players you have to give up in exchange (have you seen this CB class?). Really... this should be the end of the argument.

2) The contract... by itself it's fine, but you have to pay Clinton-Dix, Adams, and at least a few others in 2018. That becomes significantly more difficult to manage when you commit 11 Million to Sherman in 2018 on a team that's already bottom 10 in 2018 cap space. Add another 8-9 cap hit for Clinton-Dix and another 6 in cap hit for Adams and *poof*... everything is gone. (You will probably argue that you can just cut someone like Matthews, but that's not how the Packers operate/plan for the future). They aren't going to cap strap themselves to accommodate a declining talent that's not on a bargain/value contract.

3) Sherman's game will age like cheese, not like wine. That's not an elite athlete... and I already typed up a rather lengthy post about the types of CBs that play well up to and beyond the age of 30... when people were discussing Trumaine Johnson. All of those players have far superior athletic profiles to Sherman.

I think reasons 1 & 3 are precisely why the Seahawks consider him expendable. Unfortunately, they'll probably find some stupid GM that will sell the farm for him.

I would not sell the farm for him ... I would give up a 2nd and 4th for him.
Cadmus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{Family Ghost} wrote:

I would not sell the farm for him ... I would give up a 2nd and 4th for him.

I wouldn't give up #61 for him unless it's a draft day trade AND you are on the clock at #61 AND the board has completely fallen apart.

It's just not worth it when you take into account the compensation necessary to acquire him and the contract.
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
{Family Ghost} wrote:

Cost is prohibitive to say the least. And not just in terms of what they would likely have to give up. They reportedly want a good [young] player and a high draft pick according to the Miami Harold. That probably means they'd want something like Jason Spriggs and a 2nd round pick for him, minimum.

That may be what they want, but they won't get anything real close to that.
skibrett15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:
I have a buddy that's a Seahawks fan that told me he thinks Sherman only has 2-3 more years left in the NFL....In September.

It's a person I trust, and I tend to agree. It's like I said for Trumaine Johnsons (btw, why do you think the Rams don't want to commit long-term money to him?) once he loses a step he's done.

Sorry, but how does his game age poorer than say Al Harris?
Cadmus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skibrett15 wrote:
Cadmus wrote:

He was a better athlete than Sherman when he entered the NFL?

What did Sherman run at the Combine, a 4.6?
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:
Cadmus wrote:

He's never been a speed demon, but he doesn't get beat deep. His savvy, smarts, and instincts are off the chart. Plus, I think we'd be getting a highly motivated player that would want to stick it to the Seahawks. I said 2nd and 4th for compensation, but he may actually go for less than that. This could be another one of those potential marshawn lynch, randy moss, and Tony Gonzalez opportunities that we end up bitching and moaning about for years to come. I just hope we are in the mix .. seems like a reasonable way to really add an impact player to the team.
Cadmus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{Family Ghost} wrote:
Cadmus wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:
Cadmus wrote:

His savvy, smarts, and instincts are off the chart.

None of that means a CB will age well. Go ahead and find me a CB that aged well past 30 that didn't run in the 4.4s or lower.

Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson, Terrance Newman, Jonathan Joseph, what do they all have in common?
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{Family Ghost} wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
{Family Ghost} wrote:

Is it at a point where they have to trade him for sure? Maybe. Maybe not. Hard to say at this point. If not maybe they just keep him and try to keep him happy somehow?
CWood21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{Family Ghost} wrote:

Seattle really doesn't have any real motivation to move him. They're still contenders, and his cap hit isn't that prohibitive.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
{Family Ghost} wrote:

Seattle really doesn't have any real motivation to move him. They're still contenders, and his cap hit isn't that prohibitive.

Quite possible, but the tension between the parties could force a deal if Sherman wants to be a - about it.
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:
{Family Ghost} wrote:
Cadmus wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:
Cadmus wrote:

His savvy, smarts, and instincts are off the chart.

None of that means a CB will age well. Go ahead and find me a CB that aged well past 30 that didn't run in the 4.4s or lower.

Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson, Terrance Newman, Jonathan Joseph, what do they all have in common?

You've got a point, but he just turned 29. I think he can play high level football for at least a few more seasons. One not so super athlete that played pretty well for us into his early 30's was Tramon Williams .. smart, heady pro who kept himself in top shape. I don't think he was even close to the level of player that Sherman is. I think Sherman is a good gamble ... might put us over the top this next season. I want to see TT go for it a little more.
PackyAttacky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:

3) Sherman's game will age like cheese, not like wine.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2012/10/08/the-oldest-edible-cheese-in-the-world

40 year old cheddar!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 98 of 100

Jump to: