Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

TE Martellus Bennett signs with Packers 3yr/$21 million!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mazrimiv

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{Family Ghost} wrote:
Packer4Life wrote:
Ran into Cook today at the Seattle airport (post-Seahawk visit) and had a quick conversation with him. Mentioned I was a Packers fan and he just said "they did your boy dirty." So basically confirms an ugly breakup after a fantastic season Sad

I get the idea that his agent was at least partly responsible, but it is sad how it worked out for him. I think the Packers must have felt they had a deal and then the agent tried to squeeze the Packers for more.

Part of me can't help but wonder if the Packers themselves weren't surprised by the numbers Bennett was willing to sign for. Once GB knew Bennett's asking price, there was no reason to mess around with Cook. I expect they gave Cook a "take it or leave it" offer that was close to what Bennett was asking for, and that's when Cook's agent went public with the "talks with GB have broken down" story. Once that happened, it was all over. TT doesn't play that game.
Pugger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deltarich87 wrote:
Cook's agent bungled talks with the Packers but he's gotta save face so he told his client that GB messed things up IMO IMHO JMO

Report was the team was close to signing him Thursday night....then something happened. What's more likely, GB changed their minds and offered him less money or Cook and his agent tried to squeeze a bit more money/guaranteed money?

Or Ted got a call from Bennett's agent and we went with the better player?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
deltarich87 wrote:
Cook and his agent tried to squeeze a bit more money/guaranteed money?

Or Ted got a call from Bennett's agent and we went with the better player?

Or both?
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Packers built an offseason board and slotted all of the players that might be available along with the current Packers roster.
And that board includes the 2017 draft class too. Its truly an amazing effort

Any thoughts about Bennett or Cook or Kendricks were well-considered long before FA opened up. There were likely multiple scenarios bandied about at 1265 and the Packers were well-prepared for whatever happened
If you read the story about Kendricks, the Packers were on the phone to him within hours of his release and were the 1st ones to call him. Bennett came in for a visit/sign without anybody knowing.

They didn't need to wait for anybody to call, they had already made calls themselves. They weren't really surprised by Bennett's price or Cooks demands, its their job to know all of this and they did. Its what the Pro Personnel team does all day every day... when they aren't on message boards boards seeking advice... Smile

125 years of NFL experience:
Ted Thompson
Russ Ball, Vice President of Football Administration/Player Finance
Eliot Wolf, Director–Football Operations
Brian Gutekunst, Director of Player Personnel
Alonzo Highsmith, Senior Personnel Executive
Tim Terry, Assistant Director of Pro Personnel
CentralFC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
The Packers built an offseason board and slotted all of the players that might be available along with the current Packers roster.
And that board includes the 2017 draft class too. Its truly an amazing effort

Any thoughts about Bennett or Cook or Kendricks were well-considered long before FA opened up. There were likely multiple scenarios bandied about at 1265 and the Packers were well-prepared for whatever happened
If you read the story about Kendricks, the Packers were on the phone to him within hours of his release and were the 1st ones to call him. Bennett came in for a visit/sign without anybody knowing.

They didn't need to wait for anybody to call, they had already made calls themselves. They weren't really surprised by Bennett's price or Cooks demands, its their job to know all of this and they did. Its what the Pro Personnel team does all day every day... when they aren't on message boards boards seeking advice... Smile

125 years of NFL experience:
Ted Thompson
Russ Ball, Vice President of Football Administration/Player Finance
Eliot Wolf, Director–Football Operations
Brian Gutekunst, Director of Player Personnel
Alonzo Highsmith, Senior Personnel Executive
Tim Terry, Assistant Director of Pro Personnel

Yeah I was going to quote the comment from Kendricks where TT and co. hopped on the opportunity to call his agent.

We have a plan. It's hard for people to realize that. But these guys spend 12-15 hours a day, 365 or so days a year, reconfiguring its roster plans and off-season targets. There's a plan A, B, and C.
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.12up.com/posts/4762476-packers-star-goes-on-twitter-rant-against-new-nfl-educational-video?a_aid=36476

lol
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
http://www.12up.com/posts/4762476-packers-star-goes-on-twitter-rant-against-new-nfl-educational-video?a_aid=36476

lol

Not the least bit wrong. Seriously, NFLPA loses to the NFL on every front because they waste their time on crap.
persiandud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love this guy
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching Bennett's highlights with the Patriots last year ... dear lord, he was a beast with Brady throwing him the pig. The Patriots were able to devise ways to get Bennett open, and with Brady's pin point passing Bennett was able to churn out rac yards. Hopefully he will find similar success in our offense .. have to figure that with Rodgers throwing him the pig Bennett should be in for a big year.
DraftHobbyist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Ted being Ted Reply with quote

What gets me about this Bennett signing is that for years Thompson wouldn't sign a TE for that 1-year $1M-$3M contract that would've likely helped the team immensely. Now he spends $7M/year on a TE during a strong TE class. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy about the signing, but I think back to a few years ago and wonder why not then. Well, at least we have Bennett now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ted being Ted Reply with quote

DraftHobbyist wrote:
What gets me about this Bennett signing is that for years Thompson wouldn't sign a TE for that 1-year $1M-$3M contract that would've likely helped the team immensely. Now he spends $7M/year on a TE during a strong TE class. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy about the signing, but I think back to a few years ago and wonder why not then. Well, at least we have Bennett now.

I think Rodgers 'all in' hit home at least a slight bit. It's also clear that our offense is much more explosive when we have legit downfield threats at TE. I'd totally believe Rodgers got to TT if Lang had been kept .. unfortunately the price tag got too rich for TT's blood. Despite the big dough I wish TT would have coughed it up .. created a weak spot in the line that we didn't need.
squire12

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ted being Ted Reply with quote

DraftHobbyist wrote:

Was Jermichael Finley's 2 year $14M contract not good enough?
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ted being Ted Reply with quote

squire12 wrote:
DraftHobbyist wrote:

Was Jermichael Finley's 2 year $14M contract not good enough?

I'm sure he's talking about the post Finley years where we were weak at that position. We had complete junk for a few seasons.
TransientTexan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ted being Ted Reply with quote

DraftHobbyist wrote:

Which year did they have the cap space to do that in?
DraftHobbyist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ted being Ted Reply with quote

TransientTexan wrote:
Which year did they have the cap space to do that in?

Which year did we have the cap space to sign a veteran TE FA signing to a minimal contract? All of them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 18 of 20

Jump to: