Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

TE Martellus Bennett signs with Packers 3yr/$21 million!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Packer4Life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran into Cook today at the Seattle airport (post-Seahawk visit) and had a quick conversation with him. Mentioned I was a Packers fan and he just said "they did your boy dirty." So basically confirms an ugly breakup after a fantastic season Sad
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packer4Life wrote:
Ran into Cook today at the Seattle airport (post-Seahawk visit) and had a quick conversation with him. Mentioned I was a Packers fan and he just said "they did your boy dirty." So basically confirms an ugly breakup after a fantastic season Sad

was he talking in the 3rd person?
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packer4Life wrote:

Maybe they did. I still think they did Myles White dirty in 2015. It doesn't mean that either was the wrong move football wise.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

CentralFC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packer4Life wrote:

Yeah it's business. He had an offer on the table to really resurrect his career and win some games/make more money in the process. If the money was close, his agent did him dirty. Now he's going to be fighting year-to-year to stay relevant. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Applaud TT, Russ and co. for having a backup plan and really springing into action with Bennett and Kendricks.
theelcapitans

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
Packer4Life wrote:

Yeah it's business. He had an offer on the table to really resurrect his career and win some games/make more money in the process. If the money was close, his agent did him dirty. Now he's going to be fighting year-to-year to stay relevant. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Applaud TT, Russ and co. for having a backup plan and really springing into action with Bennett and Kendricks.

He's meeting w/ Raiders. I hope he signs there, it could be a really good fit for him (plus we'd rarely have to get burned by him). He was a class act in his time in GB and I'm only hoping for good things for him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packer4Life wrote:

Who knows what really happened during those talks. Can't imagine that TT would pull the offer, but we have no way of knowing. If Cook/his agent wanted more $$ or more years and were pretty adamant about it, I could see TT saying this is our final offer, take it or we move on.
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packer4Life wrote:

The Packers treated him horribly. Pre-Packers he was thought of as an inconsistent player who dropped passes, didn't finish routes and couldn't be counted on. He was considered a malcontent for his sideline comments and actions. He signed for a pittance in GB, reflecting his worth around the league, pre-Packers.

After the Packers... he is considered a valuable TE and is garnering interest from several teams and stands to make millions more than if he hadn't suffered through the misery of his first playoff experience in his entire career. His exposure on National TV surely scarred him for life after toiling in obscurity on a crappy Rams team for 8 years

We should set up a GoEffYourself fund for the poor, mistreated Cook.
deltarich87

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cook's agent bungled talks with the Packers but he's gotta save face so he told his client that GB messed things up IMO IMHO JMO

Report was the team was close to signing him Thursday night....then something happened. What's more likely, GB changed their minds and offered him less money or Cook and his agent tried to squeeze a bit more money/guaranteed money?
Cakeshoppe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of suspect that Bennett wasn't so much of a backup plan that happened after the cook deal went south, but may have been the reason it went south. Cook could have felt that he was in a good-faith negotiation when GB told him "We have Bennett on the phone right now" and he saw them as two-timing him. No real way of knowing. It's business.

svp wrote:
svp@svp superbowl

Bias Disclaimer: Green Bay Packers
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packers clearly wanted two TEs and Cook could have been one of them
How do we know the plan wasn't to sign Cook and Bennett ?
And the back up plan was Bennett and Kendricks...
squire12

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:

Very possible
and maybe Cook was not wanting to be splitting with Bennett and that is when/why things turned in the manner they did.
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packer4Life wrote:

I get the idea that his agent was at least partly responsible, but it is sad how it worked out for him. I think the Packers must have felt they had a deal and then the agent tried to squeeze the Packers for more.
gopackgo247

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling Bennett is going to be a more productive member of the team as a whole. Cant wait to see him leap.
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:

Interesting thought .. I suppose it could be possible. I wish it would have worked out for Cook to return, but I'm excited to have Martysaurus Rex on board. I also think Kendricks has a chance to thrive in GB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 17 of 21

Jump to: