Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

QB Ball Velocity at Combine
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: QB Ball Velocity at Combine Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
People think his arm is stronger than it is because he's tall as hell.

Trust me, there's nothing about Glennon's physique that makes me think he has a strong arm.

Either way, there's no disputing Taylor's arm so the veracity of my original claim persists.
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: QB Ball Velocity at Combine Reply with quote

Rich7sena wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:
Worth noting given that Tyrod and now Glennon are the only two starting QB's drafted since 08 to have thrown at the combine and under 55 mph.

I never put any stock into this because of the above. Glennon and Taylor (particularly Taylor) have hoses.

Tayor along with Wilson who trough under 55 both were battling shoulder injuries at the combine.
I believe Dak was also coming off an injury?

Here is a google doc of times since 2008 along with a few other metrics.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_-SienfT3umX0HKxRyQqyXM9BqHrotdcQA6W-V_pDiY/edit#gid=1937491940

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
indigo_rex

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew Cousins and Pat Devlin had stronger arms than Cam Newton and Joe Flacco! Oh wait. . . .
gah112

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much confirms what's on tape IMO.
BamaRam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

useless info. The point of these drills is to watch QB footwork, how they hold the football, and their release/step-through. A QB like Watson could easily decide to take a bit off the ball to make sure he looks smooth through the motion.

Do they even say at which point they take the measurement?

This is the equivalent of running receivers through a route tree then posting their 10yd split on a 10-out.
BleedTheClock

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butt cheek shape, fingernail length, and amount of leg hair are more useful measurements than combine throwing velocity.
BamaRam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BleedTheClock wrote:
fingernail length

Underrated. You don't want guys popping footballs out there.
Groink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call it pointless all you want, but scouts and teams use it as a threshold metric, kind of like the 9 inch hands or the 6-2 for the quarterback. They like that magical "55 mph." Above that is no guarantee for success obviously, but below that causes a bit of concern and is a red flag for teams. And yes, I can guarantee you that Watson's fastest throw being measured at only 49 mph has thrown up red flags for some teams.
BleedTheClock

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groink wrote:
Call it pointless all you want, but scouts and teams use it as a threshold metric, kind of like the 9 inch hands or the 6-2 for the quarterback. They like that magical "55 mph." Above that is no guarantee for success obviously, but below that causes a bit of concern and is a red flag for teams. And yes, I can guarantee you that Watson's fastest throw being measured at only 49 mph has thrown up red flags for some teams.

Maybe some scouts will freak out over this, but it's classic overanalysis IMO. If I were throwing at the combine, I'd be taking something off my throws too to ensure I was accurate.
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BleedTheClock wrote:
Maybe some scouts will freak out over this, but it's classic overanalysis IMO. If I were throwing at the combine, I'd be taking something off my throws too to ensure I was accurate.

You really don't get it.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapaShogun wrote:
G08 wrote:
I put 0 stock in this.

You have to remember, nobody ever told these QBs to throw it as hard as they can and then have it recorded.
That's what I was just thinking.

I remember Kurt Warner in an interview even stated during his playing days he never threw the ball as hard as he could have. I get the impression that throwing the ball harder doesn't necessarily relate to having a better arm. Also, it doesn't take into account footwork at all.

That's kind of the point. And it's why they don't tell the prospects when they're measuring. They want a median velocity reading not a "he's really going to crank it" reading (because QB's aren't really going to crank and throw hard as he can on every throw - not if he values the durability of his shoulder). Scouts are trying to make sure that there's a benchmark threshold rate of average throw being met.

Drafting is an imperfect science. No one is saying that a guy failing to meet 55 mph automatically disqualifies him, but people arguing that velocity has no bearing or no value are kidding themselves.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groink wrote:

The problematic part about this is it isn't a genuine test with a common control, like the others at the combine. The quarterbacks are attempting to display their accuracy, above all else, while to moving targets they've never thrown to. If it instead where the quarterbacks were a) aware they're being tested and b) throwing to the same moving target (or ideally, a stationary one) over and over again, then it'd have more legitimacy.

This isn't a valid test of velocity.
BleedTheClock

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
BleedTheClock wrote:

You really don't get it.

Or perhaps you don't. But I guess that's an impossibility in your mind.
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BleedTheClock wrote:
CalhounLambeau wrote:
BleedTheClock wrote:

You really don't get it.

Are you not going to take something off in games to ensure that you're accurate?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BleedTheClock wrote:
CalhounLambeau wrote:
BleedTheClock wrote:

You really don't get it.

How can you look over years of data that almost shockingly separates the men from the boys and dismiss it without a logical reason? "I'd be taking juice off my throws to ensure I was accurate"...Based on the data really no NFL QB of any substance has fallen below the threshold. So there's no logical way to dismiss the threshold.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: