You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

QB Ball Velocity at Combine
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: QB Ball Velocity at Combine Reply with quote

Dane Brugler just released them

All are in MPH

60 - Mahomes
59 - Webb
56 - Kizer
55 - Trubisky, Evans
53 - Peterman, Kaaya
49 - Watson

Worth noting given that Tyrod and now Glennon are the only two starting QB's drafted since 08 to have thrown at the combine and under 55 mph.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: QB Ball Velocity at Combine Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
Worth noting given that Tyrod and now Glennon are the only two starting QB's drafted since 08 to have thrown at the combine and under 55 mph.

I never put any stock into this because of the above. Glennon and Taylor (particularly Taylor) have hoses.
Top5Fitz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this measurement
G08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put 0 stock in this.

You have to remember, nobody ever told these QBs to throw it as hard as they can and then have it recorded.

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
Abe56

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No shock to see Mahomes at the top, has one of the best arms i've seen
bananabucket

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"From 2008 to 2014, the highest recorded pass velocity was 60 miles per hour by Logan Thomas. He is followed by Tyler Bray, Colin Kaepernick, Brandon Weeden, Stephen Morris, Zac Dysert and Kirk Cousins, all of whom threw the ball 59 miles per hour during their combine workouts. "

Apparently 52 for Drew Brees .

Welp.
candyman93

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bananabucket wrote:
"From 2008 to 2014, the highest recorded pass velocity was 60 miles per hour by Logan Thomas. He is followed by Tyler Bray, Colin Kaepernick, Brandon Weeden, Stephen Morris, Zac Dysert and Kirk Cousins, all of whom threw the ball 59 miles per hour during their combine workouts. "

Welp.

Any other examples except Brees?
bananabucket

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
bananabucket wrote:

Welp.

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2016/03/02/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2015/

You'll find little to no correlation.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bananabucket wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
bananabucket wrote:

Welp.

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2016/03/02/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2015/

You'll find little to no correlation.

I think the idea is if you throw under 55 mph you don't have a great chance of becoming an NFL QB. That's not to say that if you throw over 55mph you are going to be good, it's just a red flag that could cause more interceptions. If anything it's a potential knock on a QB, not to be used to elevate stock.
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like this sort of information would be more useful in a context where the QBs are, to a man, trying to throw the ball as hard as they can.

Is it conceivable that some guys were focusing more on putting the ball in a spot and some guys were focusing more on "spinning it"?
Wolverine_Joe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i guess velocity = / = cannon arm?

colt mccoy 56? weeden 59?
Wolverine_Joe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

espn's sports science mentioned brady's velocity 61mph.
http://fansided.com/2015/11/23/espns-sports-science-explains-exactly-tom-brady-good/

i know brady throws a laser, but this is hard to believe. and i guess it all depends on the distance. brady might throwing 61mph 10 yarder. maybe watson was throwing 49mph 25 yarder.
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: QB Ball Velocity at Combine Reply with quote

Rich7sena wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:

I never put any stock into this because of the above. Glennon and Taylor (particularly Taylor) have hoses.

Glennon has a mediocre at best arm. People think his arm is stronger than it is because he's tall as hell. He throws a more flat ball because of his height (while shorter QBs throw with more arc). But his arm is not strong. His zip is pretty unimpressive.

People used to make the same mistake about Nick Foles, whose arm is similar to Glennon's in terms of power/strength.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
I put 0 stock in this.

You have to remember, nobody ever told these QBs to throw it as hard as they can and then have it recorded.
That's what I was just thinking.

I remember Kurt Warner in an interview even stated during his playing days he never threw the ball as hard as he could have. I get the impression that throwing the ball harder doesn't necessarily relate to having a better arm. Also, it doesn't take into account footwork at all.

- Five Time Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers -
1981*1984*1988*1989*1994*
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like some of the QBs who zip it real hard are just compensating for a slower decision making process. That's what I noticed over the years with Kaepernick. He didn't really have a choice to throw it hard, because he showed next to no anticipation at all. He's a see it-throw it type QB.

I think it's not a very important measurement, because it's just so contextual. It's not like there's a sweet spot between the two extremes. Those who throw too hard lack anticipation, and those who don't throw hard enough lack arm strength? Nah, it doesn't work like that. There are guys who have the arm strength and the anticipation, others who have neither, or any shade of grey in between, and in any case, it doesn't paint the whole picture of who the guy is as a QB. So it's pretty pointless.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: