Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

T Menelik Watson signs with DEN 3 yrs 18.3M, 5.5M guaranteed
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Good signing, and where does he play?
Yes - our starting RT
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
Yes - our RT maybe, but could be our LT
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
No - cost too much
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
No - won't work out
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 15

Author Message
Broncoquake


Joined: 03 Nov 2016
Posts: 116
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron Wilson ✔ @AaronWilson_NFL
Menelik Watson Broncos deal: $18.37M, $4M signing bonus, $11M gtd, salaries $1.5M (gtd), $5.5M, $5.5M (2019 option year)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Broncofan


Joined: 02 Dec 2013
Posts: 2822
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncoquake wrote:
Aaron Wilson ✔ @AaronWilson_NFL
Menelik Watson Broncos deal: $18.37M, $4M signing bonus, $11M gtd, salaries $1.5M (gtd), $5.5M, $5.5M (2019 option year)


OTC reports only 2017 is guaranteed. 2018 guarantees on the 5th day of the financial new year - like Stephenson contract.

http://overthecap.com/player/menelik-watson/2252

If he busts we can walk away with 2.7M dead money. If he hits he's a bargain. If OTC correct then this is another great deal by Elway.
_________________
steelpanther wrote:
This is like playing checkers with a pigeon. No matter how well you play, sooner or later the pigeon is going to crap on the board, then puff his chest out and strut around like he won something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BroncoBruin


Joined: 06 Oct 2007
Posts: 12826
Location: La Mesa, CA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First year cap hit is a little under 3.5 million and they can cut him next offseason if it doesn't work out and save 4.8 million. Perfect. Still have plenty of money to spend and if Watson can just stay healthy, he's a big upgrade at RT.
_________________
jsthomp2007 wrote:
We have to keep in mind that Rob Bironas is dead, but might be an upgrade over McMannus.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BroncoBruin


Joined: 06 Oct 2007
Posts: 12826
Location: La Mesa, CA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In total, a shade under 12 million dollars in 2017 cap space used to upgrade from Schofield and Stephenson/Sambrailo. Fine work IMO.
_________________
jsthomp2007 wrote:
We have to keep in mind that Rob Bironas is dead, but might be an upgrade over McMannus.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trojan


Joined: 04 Dec 2014
Posts: 781
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Menelik Watson is a very good person as well and will be a positive addition to your locker room. Like you guys have posted he has and always has had tremendous upside, but he isn't an all upside no talent Raider tackle like years past with guys like Bruce Campbell. Menelik is at a point where, if healthy, he is a pretty damned good right tackle. A lot of Raiders fans bash him because he has inconveniently timed injuries, and when our offensive line became very good he was a weak point that defensive coordinators schemed against. He should provide an upgrade to your line, but in the very least you will have a hard worker that is positive addition to the team both on and off the field.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Counselor


Joined: 31 Jan 2017
Posts: 1015
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trojan wrote:
Menelik Watson is a very good person as well and will be a positive addition to your locker room. Like you guys have posted he has and always has had tremendous upside, but he isn't an all upside no talent Raider tackle like years past with guys like Bruce Campbell. Menelik is at a point where, if healthy, he is a pretty damned good right tackle. A lot of Raiders fans bash him because he has inconveniently timed injuries, and when our offensive line became very good he was a weak point that defensive coordinators schemed against. He should provide an upgrade to your line, but in the very least you will have a hard worker that is positive addition to the team both on and off the field.


Thanks Trojan for the info. I'm not excited about this addition but I'll take a wait and see approach.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Reggie Nelson#1


Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 3406
Location: Montreal, Canada
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8416/menelik-watson
Quote:
3/10/2017: Signed a three-year, $18.37 million contract. The deal contains $11 million guaranteed, including a $4 million signing bonus. 2017: $1.5 million, 2018: $5.5 million, 2019: $5.5 million (Team Option), 2020: Free Agent

Basically a two year deal. Sounds good to me.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Broncofan


Joined: 02 Dec 2013
Posts: 2822
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggie Nelson#1 wrote:
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8416/menelik-watson
Quote:
3/10/2017: Signed a three-year, $18.37 million contract. The deal contains $11 million guaranteed, including a $4 million signing bonus. 2017: $1.5 million, 2018: $5.5 million, 2019: $5.5 million (Team Option), 2020: Free Agent

Basically a two year deal. Sounds good to me.


Even better. The 2018 is a team option as well. The RW contract details, are out of date - Klis has confirmed 2018 is a team option.

So it's a one-year deal. Great deal for us. Basically no long-term risk.
_________________
steelpanther wrote:
This is like playing checkers with a pigeon. No matter how well you play, sooner or later the pigeon is going to crap on the board, then puff his chest out and strut around like he won something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SilverNBlackFan


Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 7819
Location: R.I.P Al Davis 1929-2011
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
There's your Left Tackle


If you think Watson is your LT, watch the Raiders playoff game vs Houston. Dude was not only abused there but he got embarrassed. I think Watson is a RT only. High upside but hasn't been able to stay healthy.

Risky signing but could pay off.
_________________
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
I'm beside myself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Broncofan


Joined: 02 Dec 2013
Posts: 2822
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverNBlackFan wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
There's your Left Tackle


If you think Watson is your LT, watch the Raiders playoff game vs Houston. Dude was not only abused there but he got embarrassed. I think Watson is a RT only. High upside but hasn't been able to stay healthy.

Risky signing but could pay off.


That's an entirely fair assessment, but keep in mind he had zero practice time before that week, and he had to face Clowney and an elite D. That's a recipe for failure.

In a perfect world, though, as you said he's our RT. I think he'll also be our backup LT, whoever we get at LT. We still need a LT and a swing T, though.

Still, can't argue the value in the deal - paid 5.5M guaranteed, after next year, we can walk away with only a 2.7M cap hit (the 4M signing bonus is up front $ for the player, which probably convinced Watson to come join us, along with the training facilities he mentioned as a 2nd incentive, but nothing speaks like $).
_________________
steelpanther wrote:
This is like playing checkers with a pigeon. No matter how well you play, sooner or later the pigeon is going to crap on the board, then puff his chest out and strut around like he won something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
7DnBrnc53


Joined: 09 Mar 2010
Posts: 3219
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Walter Football Reply with quote

Apparently, someone isn't happy with this signing:

Quote:
Broncos sign OT Menelik Watson (3 years, $18.3 million): MILLEN STRANGER KIELBASAS Grade

This is our 11th Millen grade of the offseason thus far, and in honor of the number 11, I've decided to name this particular Millen grade "Stranger Kielbasas." Stranger kielbasas are much scarier than the Demogorgon, that's for sure!

I find it funny that the Broncos, for about 15 years, were able to laugh at the Raiders and all of their blunders. Oakland was an incompetent organization and couldn't do anything right. Now, it's the Raiders' turn. Not that the Broncos are incompetent, or anything close to that, but Denver signing one of the worst players on Oakland's roster for big money is a complete role reversal, and I imagine that the Raiders are laughing at Denver right now.

And yes, Menelik Watson was that horrible. Watson has struggled to stay healthy throughout his career, and he's been terrible while on the field. He's a liability in both pass protection and run blocking, and he won't improve Denver's horrible offensive line in the slightest.


I don't understand it. Walter gave the Mike Remmers signing by Minnesota a D. This was a better signing than that one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Broncofan


Joined: 02 Dec 2013
Posts: 2822
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Walter Football Reply with quote

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
Apparently, someone isn't happy with this signing:

Quote:
Broncos sign OT Menelik Watson (3 years, $18.3 million): MILLEN STRANGER KIELBASAS Grade

This is our 11th Millen grade of the offseason thus far, and in honor of the number 11, I've decided to name this particular Millen grade "Stranger Kielbasas." Stranger kielbasas are much scarier than the Demogorgon, that's for sure!

I find it funny that the Broncos, for about 15 years, were able to laugh at the Raiders and all of their blunders. Oakland was an incompetent organization and couldn't do anything right. Now, it's the Raiders' turn. Not that the Broncos are incompetent, or anything close to that, but Denver signing one of the worst players on Oakland's roster for big money is a complete role reversal, and I imagine that the Raiders are laughing at Denver right now.

And yes, Menelik Watson was that horrible. Watson has struggled to stay healthy throughout his career, and he's been terrible while on the field. He's a liability in both pass protection and run blocking, and he won't improve Denver's horrible offensive line in the slightest.


I don't understand it. Walter gave the Mike Remmers signing by Minnesota a D. This was a better signing than that one.


To be fair, many reports say 11M is guaranteed. That would be bad to have guaranteed 2018's salary. Making it a team option makes the signing a much better deal.
_________________
steelpanther wrote:
This is like playing checkers with a pigeon. No matter how well you play, sooner or later the pigeon is going to crap on the board, then puff his chest out and strut around like he won something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bone_Collector


Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Posts: 1169
Location: So. Cal
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talented guy, but dude just can't stay on the field. Looks like a good deal for you guys because you can cut him pain free if he doesn't work out. He's definitely just a RT. Perhaps it's not a fair critique, but he looked BAD at LT against Clowney in the playoff game. Keep him at RT and he should be solid.
_________________


Props to cdUbs14 for the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group