Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

T Menelik Watson signs with DEN 3 yrs 18.3M, 5.5M guaranteed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Good signing, and where does he play?
Yes - our starting RT
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
Yes - our RT maybe, but could be our LT
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
No - cost too much
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
No - won't work out
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

Broncofan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: T Menelik Watson signs with DEN 3 yrs 18.3M, 5.5M guaranteed Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/840306119763492865

3-year deal, details to come.

One of our T's next year.

Last edited by Broncofan on Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total
paul-mac

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's your Left Tackle

Fify.
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
There's your Left Tackle

For 4 games.

#JihadWard
First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on the $, but out of the RT's, one of the highest-upside guys in the market - and one of the few who could be a LT (more on that in a minute). Also weakens a division rival's depth, which is a bonus, not the reason to do it, but still a plus.

Man, I would have absolutely loved having Whitworth & Watson as our 2 T's from FA with Leary. Then we could have just gone BPA at 1.20 (and a T/G would have been fine there, if Elway saw that guy <LAMP LAMP LAMP> as the best guy on the board overall).

He's succeeded at RT after struggling in his rookie year, but in theory has the athleticism to succeed at LT. Penn was obv their LT, and Watson didn't show he could take on LT, but you wonder if that's part of Elway's thinking.

Again, Whitworth would have been ideal, but depending on our next T signing (Beachum?), Leary at LG (I think Garcia moves to RG and fights ) and Watson at RT still better than Stephenson at RT, and he and Schofield are our RG and swing guy, respectively).

Any link to the #'s yet?

EDIT: No word on guaranteed $, but Renck saying it's 3 years, 18.3M. That's RT money in the new era. If he can make the switch to LT, that's an insane bargain. Now, I think the more likely scenario is he's a RT, in which case he just got top 5 RT $ - but once the rest of the RT's sign, that will be more like top 10-15 RT $ by same time next year. Not a lock, but a good value risk here, given the field.

Last edited by Broncofan on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Broncoquake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 years and $18.3 Million.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like about 6M per year, which is too much by 1-1.5M IMO, but its not a crazy contract by any means. I take Watson at more than half the price of Okung all day, every day.

Lets hope he can stay healthy. He has size, movement skills and can win 1-v-1 matchups in the run game.

Beggars cant be choosers but I like the contract size, age and potential. I hope its easily voided though since he is always injured.

I mean, statistically he has to be due for a healthy season right?

Right?
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncoquake wrote:

That is steep for a very unproven, injury prone Tackle imo. But like others said he does have nice athleticism and versatility to play both sides. It's a risky signing, but the potential is there.

Here's to him not doing much, am I right!? Wink

#JihadWard
First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
Broncoquake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
Broncoquake wrote:

That is steep for a very unproven, injury prone Tackle imo. But like others said he does have nice athleticism and versatility to play both sides. It's a risky signing, but the potential is there.

Still better than Donald Stephenson.
Cutler06

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
Broncoquake wrote:

Me thinks this troll doth protest too much !!
Broncofan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Looks like about 6M per year, which is too much by 1-1.5M IMO, but its not a crazy contract by any means. I take Watson at more than half the price of Okung all day, every day.

Lets hope he can stay healthy. He has size, movement skills and can win 1-v-1 matchups in the run game.

Beggars cant be choosers but I like the contract size, age and potential. I hope its easily voided though since he is always injured.

I mean, statistically he has to be due for a healthy season right?

Right?

Watson's biggest issue is staying healthy. A huge part of his negative rating last year was he missed 5 games with a groin pull, and got hurt on Opening Day and Week 3, and played gimpy. He's got the agility and footwork to be a LT, but hasn't been healthy enough to prove it.

Given the above, even if he's our LT in a pinch, we would still have to have a depth LT-capable player. Even if Schofield is a backup plan at T, he's a backup for RT. So I'd really hope we do go after Beachum for LT, and use Watson as our RT.

And because you can never have too much depth, guys like Ramczyk, Lamp, yes, still in play - but hopefully we're not cornered where they are a MUST pick at rd 1. If we get a 2nd starter level RT, then at least it doesn't corner us on paper.

And remember, that's the total $ - the guaranteed $ is likely way lower. Let's see what the final #'s are before passing judgment, as always.

Last edited by Broncofan on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
mke1010

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally!!
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to get a tackle from the scrap heap, this guy probably had the most upside. I'm fine with this move, it's a homerun if Watson can stay healthy and play average football.
elliot878

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Whitworth, Watson was the tackle i was most interested in. He hasn't been healthy as a pro and that's an issue, but as a prospect I remember his athleticism being high level and him projecting well the outside. I guess as a pro when healthy he's been a better run blocker than pass protector.

Either way, the athleticism offers upside if he's healthy.

I don't think this changes much in the draft, I would still say we're pigeon holed into a round 1 offensive tackle, but this is a good insurance signing at left tackle and God knows we needed someone to compete with (and beat) Stephenson at right tackle.
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we've got clear upgrades over Schofield and Stephenson (please stay healthy Menelik) but will downgrade at LT. I think we can probably afford a downgrade at LT and still field a better line than last year especially with Garcia being a better fit in the new scheme.
mke1010

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone think we might still be in the market for another Tackle via trade?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: