Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Timmons signs with Miami
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlaqOptic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timmons has been on the decline for a while but has always managed to throw together a 4 to 6 week stint where he salvages his season as of late. With that said, I will always love him for his 2008 and 2010 seasons. In 2010 he had what I still consider to be the best season I've ever seen from a Linebacker. Against the run the dudes average tackle was less than a yard away from the Line of Scrimmage. In coverage his average tackle was less than 7 yards from the Line of Scrimmage. And something like only 33% of passes were completed against him. He was the perfect linebacker that season with absolutely no flaws. I will always appreciate him for that and, unfortunately, he never came close to it again which was kind of his downfall. Good night sweet prince!

Quote:
I like PFF.

Go straight to hell.
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sentimental reasons, I hate to see Timmons go, but for the best of the team, I am glad he is gone. It is time to get younger and transition on defense. Everyone keeps praising NE for the money that they spend, but they win with a system not so much players. They get praised for letting players go before the end of their prime. Timmons has more football left, but he is replaceable in my opinion.

It is three days into free agency signings and I think the Steelers are smart for not over paying in free agency thus far. The draft is deep at the positions of need CB, OLB/Edge, Safety and RB. Be smart. No one ever won the SB in March. Every year people crown the Paper Champions of the off season and they are rarely, if ever the SB champion.

Last year the Giants, Jaguars and Raiders did some big things in free agency and none went to or won the SB. I understand the comments and support of what New England has done as they are the champs and have owned the Steelers.

The Steelers aren't that far away. Hopefully they can stay healthy as well especially in the play-offs. The past several years they have been without Pouncey, Bell or Brown and a banged up Big Ben.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaqOptic wrote:
Timmons has been on the decline for a while but has always managed to throw together a 4 to 6 week stint where he salvages his season as of late. With that said, I will always love him for his 2008 and 2010 seasons. In 2010 he had what I still consider to be the best season I've ever seen from a Linebacker. Against the run the dudes average tackle was less than a yard away from the Line of Scrimmage. In coverage his average tackle was less than 7 yards from the Line of Scrimmage. And something like only 33% of passes were completed against him. He was the perfect linebacker that season with absolutely no flaws. I will always appreciate him for that and, unfortunately, he never came close to it again which was kind of his downfall. Good night sweet prince!

I agree for the most part.

I dont remember his 2008 season being particularly good though. 2010 was definitely an elite season for him, which he never really replicated. He seemed to be very off and on. Id have to go back and really look, but it seems like every other season he was good-great and in between were pretty mediocre seasons (although the one season he was switched to OLB, which wasnt his fault). 2013 and 2015 were definitely mediocre seasons from him. He was pretty good most of 2016, though.

I wouldve liked to have kept him, but Im not particularly worried. This isnt like losing Aaron Smith, James Farrior or Troy Polamalu. More like losing Ryan Clark or Brett Keisel....good players, but not overly hard to replace.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ONLY got a fifth rounder for Timmons. What crap is that? I was expecting a third.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR43 wrote:
We ONLY got a fifth rounder for Timmons. What crap is that? I was expecting a third.

????

What are you talking about? We didnt trade him. He signed with another team.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
DR43 wrote:

????

He's talking about the COMP pick for next year. The level of comp is related to his contract of the player/players departing. It is yet to be determined what we will get for him.

According to Over the Cap:

Compensatory free agents are determined by a secret formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. Not every free agent lost or signed is covered by the formula.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
DR43 wrote:

????

He's talking about the COMP pick for next year. The level of comp is related to his contract of the player/players departing. It is yet to be determined what we will get for him.

Compensatory free agents are determined by a secret formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. Not every free agent lost or signed is covered by the formula.

the secret is the formula the league has, keeps it a guessing game . How do we lose a 8 year starter a few pro bowls and very reliable and only get a 5th is what I believe is being asked here. A 4th round pick would be decent, but a 3rd would be a bit of a reach considering Timmons is almost done IMO.
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been that way forever. We lost Faneca and only got a 5th. No point in complaining.

Deadpulse on the sig
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
DR43 wrote:

????

I knew that, but I was wondering what he was talking about RIGHT NOW.

I never expected Timmons to get a contract that would get us a 3rd round comp. Not sure why anyone would.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
JLambert58 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
DR43 wrote:

????

I knew that, but I was wondering what he was talking about RIGHT NOW.

I never expected Timmons to get a contract that would get us a 3rd round comp. Not sure why anyone would.

2yrs/12M is not much of a deal. I would be happy if we got a 5th based on that. (assuming he starts most of the games)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOSteelers56 wrote:
It's been that way forever. We lost Faneca and only got a 5th. No point in complaining.

They must have changed the formula. Faneca got 5yr/40M. Should have gotten a 3rd based on that but I think it's the cumulative contracts gain/lost that they base it on. (don't remember all the rest of those)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
MOSteelers56 wrote:

They must have changed the formula. Faneca got 5yr/40M. Should have gotten a 3rd based on that but I think it's the cumulative contracts gain/lost that they base it on. (don't remember all the rest of those)

It's age. I remember back then they explained it by saying players over 30 could only get a 5th.

Deadpulse on the sig
DR43

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
DR43 wrote:

????

Correctamundo.

JLambert58 wrote:
[

Based on this I don't know how he could have only been worth a fifth.
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the drop off is going to be that large with Vinny starting. I bet we'll see a lot more 3 OLB pairings now on 3rd downs. Vince had a pretty good stretch as a starter last year.

Deadpulse on the sig
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR43 wrote:
Based on this I don't know how he could have only been worth a fifth.

Well, first off, comp picks for next year havent even been determined yet. Not sure where youre getting a fifth rounder at this point (although thats about what Im expecting).

In regards to the criteria....

Quote:
Compensatory free agents are determined by a secret formula based on salary,

His contract isnt that big.

Quote:
playing time

He hasnt logged a single snap of playing time with the Dolphins yet.

Quote:
and postseason honors.

Again, he hasnt played a down yet outside of a Steelers uniform.

That all being said, outside of salary, nothing can be determined yet. BASED on the salary, a fifth seems about right....maybe we will get a 4th if he stays healthy and starts all year for them. 3rd perhaps if he makes the pro bowl.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: