Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jamal Adams - S - LSU
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counselor wrote:
Ive been saying I expect Marcus Williams to sneak into the back half of round one for a while. Could see him being an Oakland or Atlanta pick even after both went safety last year in the first.

Miami at 22 is a possibility.
IotaNet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
I would say the main thing that differentiates them is maturity, accountability and leadership. Adams came to LSU, played right away and was an instant leader. Jones has had noted issues with maturity, work habits and accountability during his time there. That's one of the reasons why Adams is so highly thought of when players like him typically are rated a little lower. NFL teams can't wait to bring in players like Adams. They elevate everyone around them, help the culture, and they making a coaches life easier.

This is why I am personally so high on Adams for the Bears. I believe that they can use an "Alpha Male tone-setter" in the secondary and in the locker room. Based on everything I've read and seen about Adams, he is that guy. I have yet to see an identity emerge on the Bears defense and Adams could help establish the right one.

EDIT: This is from the NFL.com draft site:
BOTTOM LINE Interchangeable safety with a sheriff's mentality. Adams is a physical tone-setter who should thrive near the line of scrimmage or in a robber role. Should be a commanding presence in the locker room early on and his do-as-I-do play demeanor could be the catalyst for turning a struggling defense around quickly.

... that works for me as a Bears draft pick.
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take Adams top 5 without thinking twice. He's a highly intelligent player who clearly works his arse off in the film room. He's a quality athlete, he hit hard, he can cover in man-to-man and zone, and he's quite good at finding the ball.

I remember being incredibly impressed by the fact that Adams seemed to know at least a handful of plays every game solely by looking at the offense's pre-snap alignment.

What's the kid lacking?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not impressed with Marcus Williams. I like him, but I didn't come away thinking 1st round pick. He's simply a good coverage safety. Haven't seen Josh Johnson or Josh Jones. Can someone fill me in with like...an NFL comparison for the two?
indigo_rex

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
indigo_rex wrote:
A top-10 is very rich for a SS, who is just pretty good in the pass game.

If he ends up having an impact similar to Landon Collins I don't think anyone will care.

indigo_rex wrote:
What does Jamal Adams do that Josh Jones does not?

I would say the main thing that differentiates them is maturity, accountability and leadership. Adams came to LSU, played right away and was an instant leader. Jones has had noted issues with maturity, work habits and accountability during his time there. That's one of the reasons why Adams is so highly thought of when players like him typically are rated a little lower. NFL teams can't wait to bring in players like Adams. They elevate everyone around them, help the culture, and they making a coaches life easier.

These are great qualities, but they aren't reasons to draft someone in the top 10. I don't see him dropping 10lbs and upgrading his athleticism the way that Collins did, and Collins ran faster and jumped better at 228 than Adama did at 214. He's also not the imposer that Collins was coming out of Alabama. I don't think it's a good comp.

While I agree that Adams' intangibles make him a superior prospect to Jones, it's telling that you weren't able to distinguish any tangible aspect of Adams' game that is superior. He's certainly a lesser athlete. Another poster noted better instincts, but it's pretty close, and Adams' instincts are a little overrated - as is his coverage ability. I've seen the idea floated that he's this ultra-clean Safety, always in the right position, never missing tackles, and that's mostly nonsense. He's very sound, but in the games I watched he wasn't notably cleaner than Jones or Johnson.

With top-10 picks, you should be drafting blue-chip talent. Unless I'm forgetting someone, Eric Berry and Mark Barron are the only S's drafted in the top 10 since 2010. Barron was a major reach by a poor franchise, and Adams has some similarities, but Barron is a better athlete and a more physical player than Adams. Adams clearly doesn't compare at all to Berry. Outside of pre-draft hype and intangibles, nothing about Adams' game says top-10 pick.
BleedTheClock

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you just say Mark Barron was a better athlete and more physical than Jamal Adams? Yikes...

Mark Barron couldn't sniff a Jamal Adams fart.
IotaNet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is that every thing I read from people who get paid to evaluate these guys says that Adams is the real deal. And not just middling praise but unqualified endorsements. That's enough to convince me.
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BleedTheClock wrote:
Did you just say Mark Barron was a better athlete and more physical than Jamal Adams? Yikes...

Mark Barron couldn't sniff a Jamal Adams fart.

Mark Barron is more physical, but he's not a better athlete.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IotaNet wrote:
All I know is that every thing I read from people who get paid to evaluate these guys says that Adams is the real deal. And not just middling praise but unqualified endorsements. That's enough to convince me.

Not to mention the scout quotes.
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IotaNet wrote:

I don't think anyone is arguing whether Allen is the real deal, but whether he's worth a top 5 pick. In this draft, I probably wouldn't draft him top 5 based on what I've seen. Top 10-15 makes more sense to me.

Based on his strengths, I can definitely see him struggling in the NFL year 1.
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich7sena wrote:
IotaNet wrote:

I don't think anyone is arguing whether Allen is the real deal, but whether he's worth a top 5 pick. In this draft, I probably wouldn't draft him top 5 based on what I've seen. Top 10-15 makes more sense to me.

Who would you take ahead of him?
Jlash

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich7sena wrote:
IotaNet wrote:

Really? You can tell by watching him he puts in a ton of work studying his opponents. I think that alone gives him a leg up on the usual rookie learning curve.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
Rich7sena wrote:
IotaNet wrote:

That's my problem. After Myles Garrett, who are the guys who fall into that 2 through 5 range?

It's hard for me to find 5 better prospects. This draft is deep but not top heavy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
Rich7sena wrote:
IotaNet wrote:

That's my question. This draft seems to have a major drop off after Garrett at #1. Especially since the revelations about Jonathan Allen's arthritic shoulders.

EDIT: @jrry32 GMTA -- we were typing the same thing at the same time. Laughing

Last edited by IotaNet on Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
That's my problem. After Myles Garrett, who are the guys who fall into that 2 through 5 range?

It's hard for me to find 5 better prospects. This draft is deep but not top heavy.

Exactly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: