Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Browns pull MLB/NBA trade with Osweiler, cash, picks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Browns pull MLB/NBA trade with Osweiler, cash, picks Reply with quote

Browns get:
QB Brock Osweiler (and his awesome contract)
2017 6th rounder (#188)
2018 2nd rounder

Texans get:
2017 4th rounder (#142)

This move is creative and risky. I personally love it.

It will happen some day. Not sure when.
zelbell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the type of move you expect to see when you have a front office that is focused on analytics

Turning cap space into assets is a phenomenal move

2016 Recipient of the Joe Blackburn Award
JammerHammer21 wrote:
(It's impossible to deny how good OSU has been Laughing)

sdrawkcab321 wrote:
This is better then the circus
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's brilliant, IMO. We had the creativity, the balls, and believe it or not, Jimmy is forking over about 8Mil to give us another asset. Might be the first time I've commended him for something.

All these Harvard jokes are gonna be done real soon at this rate.

2015 Adopt-A-Brown:
Joe Thomas, GOAT
Christian Kirksey, ILB
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moves like this are what I wanted to see from the Harvard boys.

You have a boatload of cap space. Rather than spend it all on FA's (some of which will undoubtedly bust), we found a creative way to turn it into more draft capital. I love this move. And I also love that the old guard hates it. Listening to Polian and Casserly etc dump on the move makes me kinda like it even more. Grossi even managed to say that this move hurts the Browns' chances of finding a QB. What?!? If you're not going to spend all your cap, you might as well turn it into another valuable asset.

Brilliant, I say. Risky, for sure, but I'm tired of sucking conventionally. At least now, we can suck with some style.

Anyone remember the last time the Browns had a franchise QB? They did it creatively, by using the (then) loophole of the supplemental draft to get Kosar. This is the same kind of move, and I love it.

MWil23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great trade, but serious question:

WYR trade him for a low pick/cut him

OR

Have him start this year and forego drafting or trading for a QB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWil23 wrote:

OR

Cutting him doesn't make much sense. He's at least better than Kevin Hogan.

My guess is that we trade him. If we keep him, and don't do anything else at QB? That will negate much of the good they have done so far...

EL Brownso

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
MWil23 wrote:

OR

My guess is that we trade him. If we keep him, and don't do anything else at QB? That will negate much of the good they have done so far...

It's a bonus that we only carry his salary this year. Next year cutting him would cost the team nothing. So that would be another $16M available if he doesn't work out or if they want to look else where for the QB solution.
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gut is telling me that all this Jimmy G smoke is real. I don't know if it'll get done, but it seems like the next logical move.

My total guess: They're trying to give NE a package of picks that doesn't include #12, showering them with mutliple 2nds and 3rds. NE may not take it, but that's my guess at this point.

DaWg_LB.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only describe this trade as

Second Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
dawgdish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not like we'll want to be making many of these types of moves in the future, but for where we're at right now in our rebuild, this is a great (and slick move). Took some cajones to pull off - credit to the F.O. Hopefully someone there can make these draft picks count!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
MWil23 wrote:

OR

I think there is no issue in keeping him tho. Even if they dont do anything else at QB. Kessler and a Brock battle could be interesting. Brock has all the tools you want for a QB in the AFC. I remember wanting him when he was in the draft.

I dont know people praise Elway but they had Brock marked to be the starter for his team last year until Brock decided to chase the money. Dude just had a horrible year last year. I dont know if he will have a horrible career. A coach like Hue could be the one to help him maybe. If he sucks and Kessler is nothing special the Browns should be drafting high enough that they could go after a QB or trade up to get a QB. I know its early but I like the 3 top tier QBs next year. but who knows what it will be like next year. Also if he sucks, he can be cut and cost nothing for them

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Hmmm Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
My gut is telling me that all this Jimmy G smoke is real. I don't know if it'll get done, but it seems like the next logical move.

My total guess: They're trying to give NE a package of picks that doesn't include #12, showering them with mutliple 2nds and 3rds. NE may not take it, but that's my guess at this point.

I think it is more, the Browns want to give them 12# and a boat load of picks... buttholecheck wants the 1#. I'd give him the finger personally and just wait til next year when Jimmy is a free agent. Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't next year's QB class going to be awesome? We might see them using the 12# to store up another 1st in 2018.

that is all

Mastercheddaar
Baseball - Indians/Yankees.
CF - Ohio State and Wake Forest
Women - Brunettes with Blue eyes.
poorbytehshore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmmm Reply with quote

Mastercheddaar wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:

I think it is more, the Browns want to give them 12# and a boat load of picks... buttholecheck wants the 1#. I'd give him the finger personally and just wait til next year when Jimmy is a free agent. Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't next year's QB class going to be awesome? We might see them using the 12# to store up another 1st in 2018.

that is all

Mastercheddaar

Always hard to project because you don't know who comes out or how they play next season, but it has the makings of a good class, and the number one prospect if he comes out is an infinitely better prospect than anyone in this class. Best since Luck for me.

But again, so much could change.
FLAbrownfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:
MWil23 wrote:

OR

I think there is no issue in keeping him tho. Even if they dont do anything else at QB. Kessler and a Brock battle could be interesting. Brock has all the tools you want for a QB in the AFC. I remember wanting him when he was in the draft.

I dont know people praise Elway but they had Brock marked to be the starter for his team last year until Brock decided to chase the money. Dude just had a horrible year last year. I dont know if he will have a horrible career. A coach like Hue could be the one to help him maybe. If he sucks and Kessler is nothing special the Browns should be drafting high enough that they could go after a QB or trade up to get a QB. I know its early but I like the 3 top tier QBs next year. but who knows what it will be like next year. Also if he sucks, he can be cut and cost nothing for them

Agreed, there is no value in cutting him. Announcing that he is available for trade is smart, see if we can get value for him- if not keep him- the money doesn't matter to Jimmy H it seems, and maybe if a QB gets hurt for another team we can field some calls for him. This was a brilliant move, and I love that the Bill Polian's of the world hate the move!

R.I.P Crackburn, always in our hearts
adopt a Brown: Davone Bess - The best- one catch, one first down--- never mind person foul takes away! arrghhh Reg on the SIG
EL Brownso

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLAbrownfan wrote:
buno67 wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:
MWil23 wrote:

OR

Agreed, there is no value in cutting him. Announcing that he is available for trade is smart, see if we can get value for him- if not keep him- the money doesn't matter to Jimmy H it seems, and maybe if a QB gets hurt for another team we can field some calls for him. This was a brilliant move, and I love that the Bill Polian's of the world hate the move!

There actually is a value to cut him. If another team signed him, we would not be responsible for all of the salary. Just the amount that remains from whatever the team signs him for. If he signed a 1 year $6M contract, we would owe him $10M.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: