Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Total Free Agency Failure Mock Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: The Total Free Agency Failure Mock Draft Reply with quote

*I thought about trading down, but in the 1st round I cannot see teams moving up and in the 2nd round I do not want to move out of the 1st round talent that fell.

*I cannot see the Bears spending the 3rd overall pick on a QB and redshirt him with absolutely nothing done in free agency.

1[1] Cleveland Browns: DE Myles Garrett [Texas A&M]
1[2] San Francisco 49ers: OLB Solomon Thomas [Stanford]

1[3] S Jamal Adams [LSU] 6'1" 215lbs, 4.56 [40], 19 reps, 31.5" vert, 10' broad

Without an actual upgrade added to the safety class the Bears need to add someone to stabilize and make plays in the worst secondary in the NFL. Adams can QB the backend of the defense, brings a physical presence to the defense, and at least gives the Bears someone that they can ask to make plays. The Bears failings at safety have been a decade long problem and without a free agency answer they invest in the draft. Jonathan Allen's health and Marshon Lattimore's hamstrings scare me for a team that cannot keep anyone healthy.

2[36] CB​ Kevin King [Washington] 6'3" 200lbs, 4.43 [40],11 reps, 39.5" vert

Without adding a significant upgrade at CB the Bears need to look into the draft to find someone who can come in and mercifully put Tracy Porter on the bench. Kevin King has incredible physical tools, size and has experience and success in a press man system at Washington. King can come in and start across from Hall/Fuller and possibly give the Bears a huge CB tandem. King is going to take some rookie lumps, but better to see him struggle and learn than watch a player who does not have the upside do it.

3[67] QB Nate Peterman [Pitt] 6'3" 225lbs. 10" hands, 4.82 [40], 31" vert, 9'1" broad​

The Bears need to add a QB to compete with Glennon and develop, but their free agency failure has left them needing to address the secondary starters in the first 2 rounds. Peterman has solid physical skills, he improved on the field in Pitt, and he apparently really clicked with the Bears at the Senior Bowl. Peterman may not be a star, but he is another investment and swing at getting the most important position in sports right.

4[111] WR Kenny Golladay [Northern Illinois] 6'4" 218lbs, 4.5 [40], 19 reps, 35.5" vert, 10' broad

The Bears WR core is pathetically thin with the loss of Jeffery and the Bears simply cannot rely on Kevin White to stay healthy. The Bears also do not simply have enough premium picks to add to all the holes their pathetic free agent class has left. The Bears can add Golladay who has a ton of size and athletic ability and can be developed into an outside WR. He may not be ready in the 1st year, but he gives the Bears an option.

4[117] NT D.J Jones [Ole Miss] 6' 321lbs, 5.04 [40], 25 reps, 28.5" vert, 9' broad

The Bears played Goldman and Hicks way too many snaps last season and we saw Goldman get injured and Hicks wear down late in games and become less effective. The Bears need more options, specifically at NT to give Goldman a break and to allow him to play more on 3rd downs and not get worked by double teams over and over again. Jones is a really good athlete at 321lbs and he is a powerful run defender that should be able to play early in his career. Jones also has sneaky athletic ability and could develop into more than just a plug.

5[147] OT Coner McDermott [UCLA] 6'8" 307lbs, 34.5" arms, 5.18 [40], 28.5" vert

The Bears were rumored to be after OTs, but again they failed to address the position so now they need to roll with Leno and Massie. McDermott has played LT and has nice size and length. McDermott can come in and develop and compete with Leno. He is not going to play in 2017, but he gives them better depth than Mike Adams.

7[220] OLB Darius English [South Carolina] 6'6" 238lbs.

The Bears have their top 3 OLBs and I am intrigued by Roy Robertson-Harris, but they can continue to add super tall and athletic OLBs. The Bears have a type [Floyd 6'6", RRH 6'7"] and English fits the mold of a long, lean and athletic pass rusher. English had 8 sacks last season and while he needs a ton of coaching the Bears do not need to rush him and can put him in the room with Fangio and see what he can become in a couple of seasons.

Depth Chart

QB: Glennon, Peterman, Shaw
RB: Howard, Carey, Langford
WR: Meredith, White, Wheaton, Galloday, Braverman, Bellamy
TE: Miller, Sims, Brown
LT: Leno, McDermott
LG: Sitton
C: Whitehair, Grasu
RG: Long, Kush
RT: Massie

RE: Bullard, Unrien
NT: Goldman, Jones, Sutton
LE: Hicks, Washington
OLB: Floyd, Young, English
ILB: Trevathan, Kwiatwoski
ILB: Freeman, Anderson
OLB: McPhee, Robertson-Harris
CB: Fuller/Porter, King, Hall, Leblanc, Callahan
FS: Demps, Amos, Houston-Carson
SS: Adams, Bush

LS: Sclaes
K: Barth
P: O'Donnell​
TankWilliams

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take that draft with the [inappropriate/removed] we've had so far. I still want DeShaun Watson though Sad
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TankWilliams wrote:
I'd take that draft with the [inappropriate/removed] we've had so far. I still want DeShaun Watson though Sad

I cannot see them red shirting the #3 pick.

They need playmakers on the field in 2017, their free agency period has left them with 1 barely upgrade and 1 huge detraction.

This team got less talented.

How can the Bears biggest addition to the 2017 draft being the 36th pick?
TankWilliams

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:

I cannot see them red shirting the #3 pick.

They need playmakers on the field in 2017, their free agency period has left them with 1 barely upgrade and 1 huge detraction.

This team got less talented.

How can the Bears biggest addition to the 2017 draft being the 36th pick?

I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying that I wish we were in a situation where Ryan Pace didn't back us into a corner from the free agency pick ups.
G08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is pretty legit, Windy.

I want Watson at #3 as well, but I just don't see it happening.

jrry32 wrote:
apples

When the defense allows 20 pts or fewer, the Cutler-led Bears were 36-7
51to54

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meets my thought that 2017 is still a full on rebuilding year. Draft players with a high upside that perhaps need at least one year of seasoning to be legit NFL starters. Take the win-loss hit while they learn on the job or even in the weight room and film room. Groom Peterman.

Use another decent draft slot in 2018 (5-11 to 7-9 record) and add one or so more good starters and some depth and yell HuRah and storm into 2018.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I struggle to see us taking two defensive players in the first two rounds at this point...no matter how anyone feels about Glennon we need to give him some help...so me we should go S at #3 then take the best WR or TE in the 2nd...right now I would go...for me we need to go Hooker in the 1st then Engram in the 2nd round...Hooker gives you a bonefied playmaker on the back end...Engram is so versatile he can line up at TE, in the slot and even as a WR.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
I struggle to see us taking two defensive players in the first two rounds at this point...no matter how anyone feels about Glennon we need to give him some help...so me we should go S at #3 then take the best WR or TE in the 2nd...right now I would go...for me we need to go Hooker in the 1st then Engram in the 2nd round...Hooker gives you a bonefied playmaker on the back end...Engram is so versatile he can line up at TE, in the slot and even as a WR.

I had that originally.

But at the time we had not signed Amukamara. I think the CB and TE talent is going to be really strong at 36.

I wonder if they put off QB till the 4th

1. S
2. TE
3. CB
4. QB
4. DL
5. OT
7. WR/KR

Something like that.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

I had that originally.

But at the time we had not signed Amukamara. I think the CB and TE talent is going to be really strong at 36.

I wonder if they put off QB till the 4th

1. S
2. TE
3. CB
4. QB
4. DL
5. OT
7. WR/KR

Something like that.

Right now I would go...

1. S
2. TE
3. CB
4. WR
4. QB/DL
5. DL/QB
7. OT
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signing a swing OT with a pulse would be nice and adding to the DL, where there is still some talent in free agency would open up a couple of picks.

We need to trade down in the worse way.

Deepest draft in 5 years we need to stockpile as many picks as possible.
gah112

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Right now I would go...

1. S
2. TE
3. CB
4. WR
4. QB/DL
5. DL/QB
7. OT

I think this is pretty ideal with maybe an Edge rusher or pass catching RB in the later rounds if the value is right.
Blaize4488

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adams or hooker really should be the pick based on the moves in free agency. They could probably even move down to 6 if the jets wanted a QB and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd. Good mock.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: