Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trade Down Scenario?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Trade Down Scenario? Reply with quote

Just a random thought, but if DAL trades Romo to DEN, do you think HOU would trade up with us to grab a QB?

If so, what could we get? I would think there are some depth guys that Mac likes, similar to what we sent Mangini for Sanchez.

Thoughts?
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Trade Down Scenario? Reply with quote

Kyu wrote:
Just a random thought, but if DAL trades Romo to DEN, do you think HOU would trade up with us to grab a QB?

If so, what could we get? I would think there are some depth guys that Mac likes, similar to what we sent Mangini for Sanchez.

Thoughts?

No, I think Cutler then becomes the target for Huston.
Kyu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Trade Down Scenario? Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
Kyu wrote:

Thoughts?

Mm. Good luck to them then.
Sapo28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Trade Down Scenario? Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
Kyu wrote:

Thoughts?

Not if he's our QB.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trading down sounds easy but it is not. So just plan on drafting at 6. Ideally yes a trade down is what this franchise needs, but teams don't want to pay the price to move up most the time.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Trade Down Scenario? Reply with quote

Sapo28 wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:
Kyu wrote:

Thoughts?

Not if he's our QB.

I assume we wait until Denver/Huston Romo situation pans out.

If Denver gets Romo then I expect us to negotiate for Siemian. If Huston gets Romo then we wait and see what Denver does. If they go for Cutler then we trade for Siemian, if they don't go to Cutler then we will know we are his only option. I think that will allow us to land him or Siemian for a lower price. If the Bengals are playing hardball this may cause them to lower their price on McCarron. There is no real reason to jump at a QB at the moment.
Kyu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
Trading down sounds easy but it is not. So just plan on drafting at 6. Ideally yes a trade down is what this franchise needs, but teams don't want to pay the price to move up most the time.

I understand that, but that's why I brought up HOU specifically.

Our trade up for Sanchez wasn't as expensive in draft compensation because we sent Mangini some of his guys. I figured with Mac's ties, we can maybe get some depth or younger vets to fill some holes along with picks.

I don't know if there are any guys he'd want, but just spit balling.
Rich51

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Trade Down Scenario? Reply with quote

Kyu wrote:

Thoughts?

We went from 17 to 5. Houston would be going from 25 to 6 so it would probably include this year and next year's first, at least a third, plus maybe some day 3 picks. We gave up a 1st and 2nd plus three players (2 ended up starting for them and Dallas over the next few years)
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Trade Down Scenario? Reply with quote

Rich51 wrote:
Kyu wrote:

Thoughts?

We went from 17 to 5. Houston would be going from 25 to 6 so it would probably include this year and next year's first, at least a third, plus maybe some day 3 picks. We gave up a 1st and 2nd plus three players (2 ended up starting for them and Dallas over the next few years)

If we can get an additional 1st next year I'm all ears. I'd probably give it up for a little less than normal to have the fire power next year. I don't think we will be able to trade down though.
jetskid007

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way draft day trades happen are different then what most perceive them as. Usually, teams gauge interest in availability and prices before the draft. We already know CLE said they won't trade #1, so teams looking to move up will call everyone above them to perform due dilligence. You also need to consider the teams behind. Certain teams are against trading up (see CIN), so it limits the market of potential interested teams. The most obvious trade-up scenario would involve teams who either need QBs or have a number of picks. CLE(12), ARI(13). There's always the possibility of an ATL/CLE like trade, but again, what impact player are they moving up for and who would do it? SEA is the one team with the draft capital and the balls to do it, but you also have to consider if Macc would trade down that far...

Ultimately, our problem is the Titans hold the 5th pick.

If NO gets that 5th pick, out chances of trading down go from 25% to 75% in my mind. If NO acquires the pick in any potential Cooks-to-Tenn trade (it's been floated they can swap picks) NO would stay out and use it on an impact defensive player. Teams know there is a distinct possibility that we take a QB and they can't rule out the Chargers or Bills. Also, the further down QBs fall, the more likely other teams later in the round can get involved in the bidding. Ultimately, that's what we need to happen.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
The way draft day trades happen are different then what most perceive them as. Usually, teams gauge interest in availability and prices before the draft. We already know CLE said they won't trade #1, so teams looking to move up will call everyone above them to perform due dilligence. You also need to consider the teams behind. Certain teams are against trading up (see CIN), so it limits the market of potential interested teams. The most obvious trade-up scenario would involve teams who either need QBs or have a number of picks. CLE(12), ARI(13). There's always the possibility of an ATL/CLE like trade, but again, what impact player are they moving up for and who would do it? SEA is the one team with the draft capital and the balls to do it, but you also have to consider if Macc would trade down that far...

Ultimately, our problem is the Titans hold the 5th pick.

If NO gets that 5th pick, out chances of trading down go from 25% to 75% in my mind. If NO acquires the pick in any potential Cooks-to-Tenn trade (it's been floated they can swap picks) NO would stay out and use it on an impact defensive player. Teams know there is a distinct possibility that we take a QB and they can't rule out the Chargers or Bills. Also, the further down QBs fall, the more likely other teams later in the round can get involved in the bidding. Ultimately, that's what we need to happen.

25% to trade back? Really? I'd say more like 5%.
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not saying I'd want this, but suppose the Texans sign Romo, Cutler decides to wait until a vet on a contender goes down this season. The Texans then offer to trade Tom Savage and their first to the Jets for Hackenburg to develop behind Romo.

The Jets then double dip in the first round, taking a QB at 6, and a OT at 25. Petty and Savage compete for the starting job.
Kyu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris Smith wrote:
Not saying I'd want this, but suppose the Texans sign Romo, Cutler decides to wait until a vet on a contender goes down this season. The Texans then offer to trade Tom Savage and their first to the Jets for Hackenburg to develop behind Romo.

The Jets then double dip in the first round, taking a QB at 6, and a OT at 25. Petty and Savage compete for the starting job.

I highly doubt, wait, I know HOU isn't giving up a 1st for Hack.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris Smith wrote:

I still don't want a QB early this year even if we traded Hack. I wouldn't take an OT at 25 either. If this did happen I'd target Fournette/Adams/Hooker at 6 and then Peppers at 25
neauone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: We could trade back Reply with quote

The GM has already gone on record that all the picks are available, and that they would consider all offers.

To the open eye it sounds like desperation, but Mac wants the league to know at 6 if the price is right the Jets would be willing partners.

That being said, understand this at 6 the Jets will have an opportunity to draft an impact player.

RB, QB, PR, CB, TE, S, they are all there for the taking, that being said, the pick should garner a sizeable gain.

But I would not like to drop out of say the top 12 picks, while getting multiple picks in round 2 and perhaps another in 2018.

I think the Jets are sitting just right position wise, if Cleveland drafts PR on the first pick knowing they have no QB at this time.

The Jets, especially if they feel that they can wait to pick up a QB next year or later in the draft.

Cleveland has multipul picks it can trade this year and next to move back up into the top 6 picks should they be in the QB market.

So to answer the question, YES, the Jets should trade down, howbeit not further say than the 12 pick in the draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: