Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ian Rappaport- Cousins will sign tag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MKnight82

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
big44dog wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
Its Bruce begging Kirk to come in and sign it. Gotta abate this bad press somehow, I'm sure the Pryor signing will be linked soon.

And Kirk saying "I'll play on the tag but out of here after this year"

People keep saying will transitional him next year, is that even possible? I don't think it is as its just a variation of the franchise tag, no?

We can transition him. Its a last gasp. It will cost us around $28M for the tag instead of the 34.5m for the franchise.

What it means is that it allows us to match any offers he gets. So he's still not free from Washington even next year if Washington transitions tags him and then matches the 49ers offer.

But it means Washington gets exactly nothing in compensation if Kirk signs elsewhere. Still, its better than not tagging at all if you're the Redskins.

They can't franchise again, can only use twice. Which is why I'm curious as to why they'd be able to transition him instead.

Not true at all. They can franchise 3 times. This third time will cost them 34.5m. Look it up.

Interesting. Only QB's can be tagged more then twice, but the 3rd tag is 44% of the previous years cap hit no matter what the math states.

Yup. I had thought only twice too. QBs are different.

Awesome than tag his butt again. He's our hostage now lol. God what happened to the nice humble kid that stepped in back in 2012 and beat Baltimore and knew his role? Danny and Shanny created a monster

You DO know that by tagging him a 3rd time, its gonna cost you $34.5m guaranteed. Which means that in a season where the cap is $180m. That puts his cap % at 19%. And you NEVER want your QB cap % to be above 15%.

It also means that his salary will eat up almost all available cap space we have for that season.

In short, there's more chance of me becoming the King of England than the Redskins tagging Kirk a 3rd straight time and paying 34.5m guaranteed for 2018.
Never underestimate how petty Dan Snyder can be.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
big44dog wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
Its Bruce begging Kirk to come in and sign it. Gotta abate this bad press somehow, I'm sure the Pryor signing will be linked soon.

People keep saying will transitional him next year, is that even possible? I don't think it is as its just a variation of the franchise tag, no?

We can transition him. Its a last gasp. It will cost us around $28M for the tag instead of the 34.5m for the franchise.

What it means is that it allows us to match any offers he gets. So he's still not free from Washington even next year if Washington transitions tags him and then matches the 49ers offer.

But it means Washington gets exactly nothing in compensation if Kirk signs elsewhere. Still, its better than not tagging at all if you're the Redskins.

They can't franchise again, can only use twice. Which is why I'm curious as to why they'd be able to transition him instead.

Not true at all. They can franchise 3 times. This third time will cost them 34.5m. Look it up.

Interesting. Only QB's can be tagged more then twice, but the 3rd tag is 44% of the previous years cap hit no matter what the math states.

Awesome than tag his butt again. He's our hostage now lol. God what happened to the nice humble kid that stepped in back in 2012 and beat Baltimore and knew his role? Danny and Shanny created a monster

You DO know that by tagging him a 3rd time, its gonna cost you $34.5m guaranteed. Which means that in a season where the cap is $180m. That puts his cap % at 19%. And you NEVER want your QB cap % to be above 15%.

It also means that his salary will eat up almost all available cap space we have for that season.

In short, there's more chance of me becoming the King of England than the Redskins tagging Kirk a 3rd straight time and paying 34.5m guaranteed for 2018.

Which is why, if Kirk plays on the tag this year, I expect us to transition tag him and then, if the 49ers are the winning contract, Danny will match it and then trade Kirk to another team later on just to keep him away from Kyle.

As long as Dan Snyder owns the team, the Redskins will not win another Super Bowl
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://riggosrag.com/2017/03/09/washington-redskins-stumbling-through-nfl-free-agency-and-kirk-cousins/

Quote:
Giving Cousins the long-term contract would show their investment on RG3 was the worst decision ever made, no matter the outcome. Cousins wasn’t a puppet. He had the respect of the team, no matter what the pundits say. Anyone could see Cousins under center was completely different from when RG3 was on the field. You could have made a sandwich in the amount of protection Cousins had in the pocket. Kirk Cousins proved he could do the job . The Redskins front office now has to eat the biggest plate of crow in NFL history. They would choose to let him go rather than do that. If GM Scot McCloughan did try to give the guy a contract (as reports indicate) and they shut him down, well, there’s no surprise why he’s not around. You can’t treat people like dirt and have expectations. Now NBC’s ProFootballTalk reported McCloughan is fine, and alcohol is not the reason for his absence. So they allowed the media to throw him under the bus? Seems legit.

Kirk Cousins is just tired of it all. He’s ready to get away from the drama. You can’t blame the guy. We’re all tired of it.

As long as Dan Snyder owns the team, the Redskins will not win another Super Bowl
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
big44dog wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

Which is why, if Kirk plays on the tag this year, I expect us to transition tag him and then, if the 49ers are the winning contract, Danny will match it and then trade Kirk to another team later on just to keep him away from Kyle.
I never thought about that before. That sounds like a good idea for the skins if they can't sign him to a long term deal this offseason. They could also transition tag him next offseason - if they can't sign him this offseason - and match the offer he gets next year.

We would be able to keep him in that scenario also, right?

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
big44dog wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

I never thought about that before. That sounds like a good idea for the skins if they can't sign him to a long term deal this offseason. They could also transition tag him next offseason - if they can't sign him this offseason - and match the offer he gets next year.

We would be able to keep him in that scenario also, right?

Yes, he'd be ours. But we'd be letting another team do our negotiating for us and we'd have to abide by all clauses in the contract. That's the risk we take. I remember that is how Steve Hutchinson was able to switch teams. the dreaded poison pill.

turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's some refreshing news to me. I think it's pretty obvious the skins want to retain Kirk. Everyone who's spoken this offseason and is still with the team has made that clear and reports are that Dan Snyder told Cousins he didn't want to trade him.

Anyway we can keep Kirk for the long term I think it's good for the next 5 years for this franchise, even if we have to match another team's offer after we'd transition tag him next season if we can't sign him to a long term deal this year.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Well that's some refreshing news to me. I think it's pretty obvious the skins want to retain Kirk. Everyone who's spoken this offseason and is still with the team has made that clear and reports are that Dan Snyder told Cousins he didn't want to trade him.

Anyway we can keep Kirk for the long term I think it's good for the next 5 years for this franchise, even if we have to match another team's offer after we'd transition tag him next season if we can't sign him to a long term deal this year.

Doesn't want to pay him either. And from what I've read, he really just doesn't want to trade him to Kyle.

And again, be wary of letting another team do your negotiating for you.

turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Doesn't want to pay him either. And from what I've read, he really just doesn't want to trade him to Kyle.

And again, be wary of letting another team do your negotiating for you.
I think it remains to be seen what Snyder is willing to pay Cousins.

@granthpaulsen
Quote:
Source tells me Kirk Cousins' camp offered the #Redskins a "3-year deal last February worth $19.5M a year w/ significant guarantees."

I think the Redskins will come up from their $20 million per year offer this offseason and the two camps will eventually meet somewhere in the middle. Something like a 5 year $125 million deal With 23 or 24 avg per year and $75 to 80 Million in guarantees is something I see both sides agreeing to eventually.

Dashing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per Michael silver of NFLN
"From what I've heard, I wouldn't rule out the jets contacting Washington for cousins."

Quoted this from another forum i don't see any links maybe it was said on tv.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
Per Michael silver of NFLN
"From what I've heard, I wouldn't rule out the jets contacting Washington for cousins."

Quoted this from another forum i don't see any links maybe it was said on tv.
Ive always thought that it was a possibility for the Jets or Texans to trade for Cousins but each team has young Qbs they've drafted in the past few Drafts that I'm sure they'll want to see play more before trading for a guy like Kirk. In the end, I just don't see either team making that trade.

TheGreeK1973

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Scottie gone, Bruce needs to pull this deal with Cousins, and I am talking about a long term deal, to get back some confidence from the fan base. What we are hearing in the radio and reading all over is the front office is a dysfunctional mess and we are the laughing stock of the NFL once again.

PR is how NFL teams make money, just imagine if Bruce gets this done, all the negativity goes away IMO. Then just the Cousins shirt sales along cover at least a year or more his 24 million plus a year salary. The team settles down, the players get their mojo back etc etc. I just can't believe that Bruce will be that dumb not to make this move.

If they trade him they better get a good deal, something the fans can swallow. Personally I don't see Cousins playing on the tag, its ether LTD or trade.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sassan11 wrote:
I feel like if Kirk really wants to leave we should ask him to list more then just SanFran he would be willing to go to then trade him to the highest bidder. Maybe if he really wants out he would be willing to agree to a trade with more then just 1 team. If i'm the Browns I would prefer Kirk over Garappolo.

From a report from Schefty, Garappolo is not tradeable. Apparently, it doesn't matter what you offer to New England. They will not move him.
Woz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said before, if you transition tag him, there are realistically four possible situations:

1. He signs a tender with a new team and the Redskins let him walk. Result = he's gone and you got nothing for him going forward.

2. He signs a tender with a new team and the Redskins match. Cousins, tired of the insanity, retires instead. Result = he's gone and you got nothing for him going forward.

3. He signs a tender with a new team and the Redskins match. Cousins says "okay, fine" and plays under the contract. Result = you have a new QB but one who is likely to hold out and not help the team if they need him to renegotiate.

4. No team tenders Cousins a contract, but he decides he's done with the team so he retires. Result = he's gone and you got nothing for him going forward.

5. No team tenders Cousins a contract, and Cousins says "okay, fine" and plays under the tag amount. Result = you have a QB for one year and you punt the whole situation down the road a year. Considering that tag values in 2018 would be untenable (transition @ ~$33.6M, franchise @ ~$40.6M), you would have no choice but to let him walk.

(also, as I said before, in case #5, you essentially paid him a 3 year/$72M fully guaranteed contract)

Now, in theory, if he were to "retire," the team could trade his rights to another team in hopes of convincing him to "unretire." Of course, you would be getting pennies on the dollar to do that.
21 ALL THE WAY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get rid of Kirk or get rid of Allen? Cousins won't negotiate with Bruce Allen! Danny what are you gonna do?!!!!

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/source-kirk-cousins-will-not-negotiate-long-term-deal-while-bruce-allen-redskins?utm_content=buffer17d48&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and btw, it's official. Kirk signed the tag.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18873111/washington-redskins-qb-kirk-cousins-signs-franchise-tender-traded

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: