Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

G Ron Leary Signs with DEN - 4 years, 35M, 20M guaranteed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Good signing?
Yes
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
No
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Who's Ron Leary?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

bobdevine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the signing but I was questioning the price. Giving $8.5M/year seems high.

But maybe the price is in line with 2017 contracts. Zeitler, the top OG, might have have just got $12M/year ($60M/5-years $32M guarenteed, but details not out).
mke1010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sad we missed on Calais Campbell. I would rather we spend that loot on the O Line. There is enough talent in the draft and we can get a NT in free agency at better value.
Cutler06

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Leary is going to be playing next to a pretty good C in Paradis, the OT is still TBD. Solidifies our interior id Garcia plays well at RG.
mke1010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:
Well, Leary is going to be playing next to a pretty good C in Paradis, the OT is still TBD. Solidifies our interior id Garcia plays well at RG.

I doubt Garcia can beat out Schofield.
We're probably better off having Garcia and the rookie from last year who didn't play being our back up interior Linemen with abc eteran type guy to push them in camp.

Last edited by mke1010 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Broncoquake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope that they have a competition for the RG spot. I still have hope that McGovern can be a good RG for the Broncos. He fits the power scheme perfectly.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
Cutler06 wrote:

We're probably better off having Garcia and the rookie from last year who didn't play being our back up interior Linemen with abc eteran type guy to push them in camp.

Garcia will improve both with an extra year's experience, and in the new scheme.

Garcia likely starts at RG and Schofield at RT.

Fify.
mke1010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncoquake wrote:
I just hope that they have a competition for the RG spot. I still have hope that McGovern can be a good RG for the Broncos. He fits the power scheme perfectly.

YES McGovern forgot his name there for a sec. Dunno if I want a rookie starting but he def fits the scheme. Maybe next year he cld be the answer when Schofield leaves.
mke1010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
mke1010 wrote:
Cutler06 wrote:

Garcia will improve both with an extra year's experience, and in the new scheme.

No.
Don't want Schofield anywhere near RT. We wld still hv same issues. Only an ever slight improvement at RT over Stevenson if that. If it came to that, wld rather draft and start a rookie.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
mke1010 wrote:
Cutler06 wrote:

No.
Don't want Schofield anywhere near RT. We wld still hv same issues. Only an ever slight improvement at RT over Stevenson if that. If it came to that, wld rather draft and start a rookie.

Elway won't reach if the right guy isn't there. I'm telling you, don't be shocked if the day one OL, excluding LT, is Leary-Paradis-Garcia-Schofield

Fify.
mke1010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
mke1010 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
mke1010 wrote:
Cutler06 wrote:

No.

Elway won't reach if the right guy isn't there. I'm telling you, don't be shocked if the day one OL, excluding LT, is Leary-Paradis-Garcia-Schofield

Shocked?
I would probably pull an AAA type meltdown on here. Garcia and Schofield on one side? Wld be a death race for opposing teams as to who can first kill our QB.

Last edited by mke1010 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
paul-mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schofield has been serviceable each of the last two seasons and Garcia is a much better fit for the new system. Both are ascending players, don't be surprised if they make the leap this season.

The truly terrible players Stephenson and Sambrailo shouldn't be anywhere near our starting lineup but Schofield and Garcia should at least be given a shot to compete. Schofield was our second best lineman last year, Garcia had a bit of a sophomore slump but it was his first year starting, and like most players he should improve with seasoning. Having a guy like Leary in should help them as well, he's spent time around some of the best linemen in football and should be able to pass on some of the expertise.

Fify.
mke1010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
Schofield has been serviceable each of the last two seasons and Garcia is a much better fit for the new system. Both are ascending players, don't be surprised if they make the leap this season.

The truly terrible players Stephenson and Sambrailo shouldn't be anywhere near our starting lineup but Schofield and Garcia should at least be given a shot to compete. Schofield was our second best lineman last year, Garcia had a bit of a sophomore slump but it was his first year starting, and like most players he should improve with seasoning. Having a guy like Leary in should help them as well, he's spent time around some of the best linemen in football and should be able to pass on some of the expertise.

I have no problem with Schofield at Guard. In fact with one more year under his belt I expect him to be even better than serviceable this season. But a return to RT will expose all that was awful about him in that position and necessitated his move inside.You cant spin this Paul. Schofield wld be terrible at Tackle.
Yes, a scheme change benefits Garcia but let's see him move from very mediocre to serviceable before we pencil him in as our starting RG.
It's very clear the best move is to keep cohesion with Paradis and Schofield on the right side. Hence we need to find a RT and a LT. All other players currently on the team shd be there for depth.

Last edited by mke1010 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
paul-mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that ship has sailed to be honest. I fail to see any better option than Schofield at RT for now.

Fify.
mke1010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
I think that ship has sailed to be honest. I fail to see any better option than Schofield at RT for now.

This is just the first day. Still players available, draft and trades. In this business you need patience not someone who sees the ship sailing after just a few hours in to open business.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying there's no one out there, I'm saying I think Schofield can be decent and paying a lot of money to a new guy may not be an upgrade.

I think we can now field a competitive OL from LG to RT. I'm not saying we shouldn't seek to upgrade it on draft day, but as long as we can add a LT over the next few days then we aren't pigeon holed into adding any more starters, so we should only draft/sign if the right guy becomes available

At this point I would say our priorities should be

1. Left Tackle (by far)
2. Nose Tackle
3. 3-4 DE
4. Right Tackle
5. Tight End
6. Linebacker
7. Wide Receiver

Fify.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: