You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

G Ron Leary Signs with DEN - 4 years, 35M, 20M guaranteed
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Good signing?
Yes
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
No
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Who's Ron Leary?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

Broncofan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: G Ron Leary Signs with DEN - 4 years, 35M, 20M guaranteed Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/839890851358715906

I'm a little leery of him, because I think of all the guys, he benefitted most by the people around him.

The real Q is if this is combined with Calais Campbell signing to us, after initially being reported to JAX. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Broncofan on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
mke1010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awaiting the Staley or Joe Thomas trade. Only just getting started. We are going to make 3 major additions to this Line. Zeitler and TJ Lang were out of our price range. I am looking at Leary to be at 7 mil or less just like I anticipated we wld spend on a Guard. Now trade for a Tackle at under 10 mil. And then take our time in the market.
Romo will hv adequate protection. Smile

Last edited by mke1010 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
Broncofan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contract details to come - but apparently 4/35M, 20M guaranteed.

Damn, as BF2010 pointed out in the FA thread, the big Q is how much Leary benefitted by having an elite C and T with him. If he was in the 2nd tier of G signings, and not top 5 G, I'd be happy. This signing works if we find a serviceable LT to pair with him in pass protection. He will be good in run blocking, and does bring the power element.

We have Paradis, but obv our LT is our biggest Q at this point.

Last edited by Broncofan on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: G Ron Leary Signs with DEN - contract details pending Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
I'm a little leery of him, because I think of all the guys, he benefitted most by the people around him.

My sentiment, too!

As posted in the other thread,

BSN with a nice, short profile. Health appears to be a concern.

http://bsndenver.com/nfl-free-agent-profile-ronald-leary-og-dallas/
mke1010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, 21 mil guaranteed sounds about right in that 7 mil range.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the top four OGs available - Zeitler, Lang, Warford and Leary - Leary was my last choice. He played in between an elite OT and elite C making me wonder how good he really is.

But at least it addresses a need and now Tony Romo will have a familiar face in the locker room. My Score app says the contract is 4 years, $35m and $20m guaranteed. It's an $8.5m cap hit this year.

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love, absolutely love, how physical he plays. He is a straight mauler in the run game and is passable in pass protection. My main issue is:

A) How much did his OC and LT help him in pass protection

B) I don't like setting the market at OG and being the team to cause the 'first domino to fall'

He will certainly be an upgrade, but paying nearly 9M per for a guy that has some serious question marks is a huge gamble.

I also prefer to draft OG since they are so often plug-and-playable. Its far harder to draft a starting quality OT.

I would give this signing a 'C'
Broncofan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Of the top four OGs available - Zeitler, Lang, Warford and Leary - Leary was my last choice. He played in between an elite OT and elite C making me wonder how good he really is.

But at least it addresses a need and now Tony Romo will have a familiar face in the locker room. My Score app says the contract is 4 years, $35m and $20m guaranteed. It's an $8.5m cap hit this year.

To be fair to Elway, those 3 others are younger IIRC - I know Zeitler is signing for more $. If Warford or Lang signed for the same, yeah, I'm in the same boat. But it could very well be that guaranteed $ wise, Leary might go for the least. Guess we'll see.
mke1010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year's cap hit for Leary has not been confirmed. It might be less than 8.5 being rumored on here.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
I love, absolutely love, how physical he plays. He is a straight mauler in the run game and is passable in pass protection. My main issue is:

A) How much did his OC and LT help him in pass protection

B) I don't like setting the market at OG and being the team to cause the 'first domino to fall'

He will certainly be an upgrade, but paying nearly 9M per for a guy that has some serious question marks is a huge gamble.

I also prefer to draft OG since they are so often plug-and-playable. Its far harder to draft a starting quality OT.

I would give this signing a 'C'

The only danger in waiting is that the market value could be a lot higher this year. But yeah, your analysis is spot-on. He's a great run game upgrade - but with, say, Okung as our LT, Leary and Okung probably will get our QB killed in pass pro.

In a lot of ways, getting our run D upgraded is even more a priority (along with LT), because we don't want to be behind and playing catchup. This signing helps us protect leads and establish the run.
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind from what I've seen that Cowboys fans universally praise Leary as a very good player and you know how most fans have a natural tendency to be a little, well, overly critical of players who leave. Cowboys fans insist the guy is a damn good player. Upgrading at guard was always in the plans.
elliot878

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll reiterate my point from the FA thread - I'm most happy that he is a scheme fit. The front office had a major problem identifying scheme fits for Kubiaks system, but did a good job identifying OL who fit Fox's power scheme. Leary fits the power scheme, so as I've said, hopefully the front office is more in their wheelhouse identifying talent for the power scheme. This signing points to that.

The money is too much but having one capable starter, they were at the mercy of the market. If we're bringing in Romo I would have preferred a better pass protector since Romo couldn't stay healthy behind possibly the best line in league history, but whatever, it's a start.
thebestever6

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not big on this but ww have to see how yhe market is.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
mke1010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Harris Jnr and Talib doing everything they can to get Calais to come to Denver.
http://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/09/calais-campbell-denver-broncos-aqib-talib-chris-harris/
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: G Ron Leary Signs with DEN - contract details pending Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/839890851358715906

The real Q is if this is combined with Calais Campbell signing to us, after initially being reported to JAX. Fingers crossed.

Oh no...no...no...he is Leary.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: