Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eagles sign Torrey Smith 3y/15m
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phire

Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
Great another WR who can't catch. That's exactly what we need. He a lesser version (not as fast) of Willie Gault. Having speed is useless if when the ball hits your wide open hands you drop it 1/2 the time. You guys have been frustrated watching Agholor, he's Nelsons Brother from another Mother.

Thank you.

Everyone excited about Smith is in for a rude awakening in September Laughing

I don't think anyone's excited about Smith, I think it's more understanding that the group needs players. Even with a pessimistic view of Torrey Smith he's already an upgrade over Nelson Agholor. If all Smith does is replace Agholor from the field, that's already a win for the team, and for us.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah for an NFL quality receiver! To bad it's not a really good one...

The floor was so low that like any of these receivers id welcome with open arms.

Torrey can do some good things for us, another shoe has to drop sometime soon. Cause Torrey, Matthews and the pile of garbage that's the rest isn't enough obviously.

Eagles Forum Hall of Famer | 2013 Gold Standard Baldy | 2015 Steegles Baldy | The Reigning ENBD Champion
paraven

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
Great another WR who can't catch. That's exactly what we need. He a lesser version (not as fast) of Willie Gault. Having speed is useless if when the ball hits your wide open hands you drop it 1/2 the time. You guys have been frustrated watching Agholor, he's Nelsons Brother from another Mother.

Thank you.

Everyone excited about Smith is in for a rude awakening in September Laughing

I cant speak for his days in San Fran but in Baltimore I never really remember him dropping a lot of balls. If did have a drop in a game, he usually always made it up with a big catch later on. I wouldnt worry about his hands to much. The only time I was ever frustrated with him, was his last play as a Raven when he decided to not jump for a ball and it got intercepted by the pats to end the game..
Art_Vandalay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problems catching the ball? The guy dropped 5 passes in the last two seasons. So no, he's not an elite pass-catcher but compared to our current corps he's Larry Fitz.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2016/

We tried taking deep shots last year but just didn't have a deep-ball type of guy. I think that was moreso the reason for all the checkdowns. I love this signing. We still need more weapons but this isn't a bad start. Corey Davis or McCaffrey in the 1st round please.

Bird Watch: DE Vinny Curry - Last seen robbing Philly of $47 mil
EaglesPeteC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SF was such a dumpster fire last year it really is hard to judge any individual player. He's here, so I'm going to hope for the best.

BIRD WATCH: "WR" Nelson Agholor //36 REC//365 YARDS//2 TDS//2 stone hands//1 crippling boneheaded pentaly//1 deactivation//1 tremendous waste of a pick
Remixxxxxxx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reminds me of the Malcom Jenkins signing tbh
Jroc04

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remixxxxxxx wrote:

Thought the same thing yet even this is minor in those terms. We knew Malcom would be a clear starter. Smith may be a 3rd/4th option in this offense when all is said and done. Comeplete, typical overreaction by one of the most knee-jerk fan bases in the NFL.

Kilty sig808 avy
808 wrote:
Jroc offers a voice of reason, and that's why I care about him so much.
milksteak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jroc04 wrote:
Remixxxxxxx wrote:

Thought the same thing yet even this is minor in those terms. We knew Malcom would be a clear starter. Smith may be a 3rd/4th option in this offense when all is said and done. Comeplete, typical overreaction by one of the most knee-jerk fan bases in the NFL.

Have a hard time seeing them add two more guys better than Smith in this offseason. wr/cb 1 and two and then hopefully a midround WR we can develop and next year we let jordan walk seems like the plan.
BLick12

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is more about the opportunity cost to me. There are many holes that we have on this roster where $5MM could've been better spent than for a marginal upgrade, if that, of our WRs.

Bird Watch: Nolan Carroll
Phire

Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
It is more about the opportunity cost to me. There are many holes that we have on this roster where $5MM could've been better spent than for a marginal upgrade, if that, of our WRs.

We'll have to see the contract details to know for sure how this affects our resources immediately. All we know is that's it's 3y/15m but how that breaks down is still unknown (unless someone has that already).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
BLick12 wrote:

We'll have to see the contract details to know for sure how this affects our resources immediately. All we know is that's it's 3y/15m but how that breaks down is still unknown (unless someone has that already).

Yeah, that's valid. I'm assuming it is $5MM a year, it might not be. Hopefully Howie gave us an out if he bombs.

Bird Watch: Nolan Carroll
birdman0069

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a good season for Smith?
53/57 receptions, 750 yards and 5-6 tds?

Props to Eagles _808 on the sig

Birdman, slowest to 10K
nlesthought

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdman0069 wrote:

From what DougieP has shown us for this offense that's a banner year.
Phire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdman0069 wrote:

I suppose it depends what else we add. If we add nothing else and he's starting across from Jordan Matthews (which for the record would be very bad for us and not a situation I would want) the expectations would be higher than if he was a #3/#4 deep threat.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what fans have said Chip didn't know how to utilize Smith.

Hopefully Doug does a better job of that and he rebounds nicely.

If he does good on the field he will be loved by Eagles fans as he's a great guy like Connor Barwin.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: