You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

WR Robert Woods signing with the LA Rams(5 years 39 million)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 69131
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
Who in their mind pays him nearly $8 million a year? What a terrible deal..


It's $15 million guaranteed. People need to stop reading the max value and overreacting. We'll see what the structure of the deal is, but with that little in guaranteed money, I doubt it's problematic.
Realistically it's going to be broken down into the first 2 years being guaranteed more or less, with a minimal cap hit if you cut him beyond that.


Likely yes. My point, though, is that a $39 million max value really depends on how much is incentives. Regardless, I don't think it's a terrible deal. People freak out every year when the market goes up because the salary cap increases.

Woods got about what Stills and Britt got. If anything, it's a better deal than Stills' because it's a longer deal for less guaranteed money.(basically, less risk with more reward) Plus, Woods hasn't even turned 25 yet and played in a run-first offense in Buffalo. If he stays healthy (a big if), the Rams might be getting a bargain.

Well, that's what I'll hope for at least. Realistically, it's a market deal that I'm 50/50 on depending on the structure. But I trust McVay to know what he needs out of the WR position.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoS


Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 7053
Location: Sleepless in Seattle
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice of him to give the hometown Rams a discount.
_________________
DCRED wrote:
Your dialogue was amazing and your facts presented were Stellar.
You give yourself and your team's forum great Honor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OleXmad


Joined: 09 Jan 2017
Posts: 601
Location: Baltimore, Maryland.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean...Good for Woods that he got paid and went to his hometown team, But the rams overpaid for a WR who hasn't proven he can stay healthy or shown he can productive in 4 years in the NFL. Say what you want about the rams but he's going from a solid offense in buffalo to a pretty terrible one with the rams, He'll be the no.2 WR in L.A but really he'll be the no.1 since teams don't fear Tavon Austin and no matter how much you scheme you can't make up for the fact Woods just isn't that good of a player.
_________________
I'm not an honest person, I'm just 50 honest hamsters in a trench coat that learned to type.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 69131
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OleXmad wrote:
I mean...Good for Woods that he got paid and went to his hometown team, But the rams overpaid for a WR who hasn't proven he can stay healthy or shown he can productive in 4 years in the NFL. Say what you want about the rams but he's going from a solid offense in buffalo to a pretty terrible one with the rams, He'll be the no.2 WR in L.A but really he'll be the no.1 since teams don't fear Tavon Austin and no matter how much you scheme you can't make up for the fact Woods just isn't that good of a player.


There were people who said the same things about Emmanuel Sanders and Golden Tate when they left their respective teams. Scheme and role make a huge difference. In the end, it'll come down to Goff. If he develops into a quality QB, Woods should do quite well.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoS


Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 7053
Location: Sleepless in Seattle
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
I mean...Good for Woods that he got paid and went to his hometown team, But the rams overpaid for a WR who hasn't proven he can stay healthy or shown he can productive in 4 years in the NFL. Say what you want about the rams but he's going from a solid offense in buffalo to a pretty terrible one with the rams, He'll be the no.2 WR in L.A but really he'll be the no.1 since teams don't fear Tavon Austin and no matter how much you scheme you can't make up for the fact Woods just isn't that good of a player.


There were people who said the same things about Emmanuel Sanders and Golden Tate when they left their respective teams. Scheme and role make a huge difference. In the end, it'll come down to Goff. If he develops into a quality QB, Woods should do quite well.


I think that comparison is a bit of a reach. Sanders and Tate showed off some serious potential at their previous destinations and were coming onto their new teams as no-doubt #2 options behind Demaryius and Calvin, respectively.

This isn't to say Woods won't be good, but I'll be shocked if he's ever considered an upper-echelon #2 WR like those other two guys, and that's how he's being paid.
_________________
DCRED wrote:
Your dialogue was amazing and your facts presented were Stellar.
You give yourself and your team's forum great Honor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 69131
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
I mean...Good for Woods that he got paid and went to his hometown team, But the rams overpaid for a WR who hasn't proven he can stay healthy or shown he can productive in 4 years in the NFL. Say what you want about the rams but he's going from a solid offense in buffalo to a pretty terrible one with the rams, He'll be the no.2 WR in L.A but really he'll be the no.1 since teams don't fear Tavon Austin and no matter how much you scheme you can't make up for the fact Woods just isn't that good of a player.


There were people who said the same things about Emmanuel Sanders and Golden Tate when they left their respective teams. Scheme and role make a huge difference. In the end, it'll come down to Goff. If he develops into a quality QB, Woods should do quite well.


I think that comparison is a bit of a reach. Sanders and Tate showed off some serious potential at their previous destinations and were coming onto their new teams as no-doubt #2 options behind Demaryius and Calvin, respectively.

This isn't to say Woods won't be good, but I'll be shocked if he's ever considered an upper-echelon #2 WR like those other two guys, and that's how he's being paid.


Serious potential? Like say 160 receiving yards against a top defense? Wink

I don't think it's a reach. Woods may or may not reach that level, but his offense's scheme and QB definitely limited his production. We'll see if that changes with the Rams.

Golden Tate would have done just fine as a #1 option. Getting away from Seattle's run-first, spread the ball around offense was necessary for Tate to thrive.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 63655
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always liked Woods. Wanted him coming out to fill the void left by Hines Ward.

Although, I dont think Woods is a number 1 type of talent. I think he can be an excellent number 2, though.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OleXmad


Joined: 09 Jan 2017
Posts: 601
Location: Baltimore, Maryland.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
I mean...Good for Woods that he got paid and went to his hometown team, But the rams overpaid for a WR who hasn't proven he can stay healthy or shown he can productive in 4 years in the NFL. Say what you want about the rams but he's going from a solid offense in buffalo to a pretty terrible one with the rams, He'll be the no.2 WR in L.A but really he'll be the no.1 since teams don't fear Tavon Austin and no matter how much you scheme you can't make up for the fact Woods just isn't that good of a player.


There were people who said the same things about Emmanuel Sanders and Golden Tate when they left their respective teams. Scheme and role make a huge difference. In the end, it'll come down to Goff. If he develops into a quality QB, Woods should do quite well.


Yeah but they were at least solid receivers before they left and went to pass happy offense with very good QBs (Peyton before he dropped off, and of course stafford) Scheme and role do make a difference, but they still can't make up for the fact Woods Struggled to produce for 4 straight seasons (never topped 700 yards) he's JAG nothing more. I have zero Hopes goff develops into anything more than a backup you hope never sees the field, I mean Bortles threw for 35 TDs coming off his awful rookie season so it's possible for Goff to Improve I just doubt it.
_________________
I'm not an honest person, I'm just 50 honest hamsters in a trench coat that learned to type.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoS


Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 7053
Location: Sleepless in Seattle
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
SoS wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
I mean...Good for Woods that he got paid and went to his hometown team, But the rams overpaid for a WR who hasn't proven he can stay healthy or shown he can productive in 4 years in the NFL. Say what you want about the rams but he's going from a solid offense in buffalo to a pretty terrible one with the rams, He'll be the no.2 WR in L.A but really he'll be the no.1 since teams don't fear Tavon Austin and no matter how much you scheme you can't make up for the fact Woods just isn't that good of a player.


There were people who said the same things about Emmanuel Sanders and Golden Tate when they left their respective teams. Scheme and role make a huge difference. In the end, it'll come down to Goff. If he develops into a quality QB, Woods should do quite well.


I think that comparison is a bit of a reach. Sanders and Tate showed off some serious potential at their previous destinations and were coming onto their new teams as no-doubt #2 options behind Demaryius and Calvin, respectively.

This isn't to say Woods won't be good, but I'll be shocked if he's ever considered an upper-echelon #2 WR like those other two guys, and that's how he's being paid.


Serious potential? Like say 160 receiving yards against a top defense? Wink

I don't think it's a reach. Woods may or may not reach that level, but his offense's scheme and QB definitely limited his production. We'll see if that changes with the Rams.

Golden Tate would have done just fine as a #1 option. Getting away from Seattle's run-first, spread the ball around offense was necessary for Tate to thrive.


I guess the real question is, is he an upgrade over Kenny Britt?

Of that, I'm skeptical.
_________________
DCRED wrote:
Your dialogue was amazing and your facts presented were Stellar.
You give yourself and your team's forum great Honor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Crickett


Joined: 27 Nov 2004
Posts: 4904
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
I guess the real question is, is he an upgrade over Kenny Britt?

Of that, I'm skeptical.


Honestly I don't know one way or the other.

On the one hand, Woods was woefully underutilized in Buffalo, which could have been a product of just not being particularly good. Or it could have been the result of playing for poor passing offenses.

On the other hand, you have Kenny Britt. I have never seen Kenny Britt succeed at the pro level when being coached by anyone other than Jeff Fisher. He looked promising in Tennessee.... until they fired Jeff Fisher. Then he sort of fell apart. He looked like the only NFL caliber receiver in St. Louis/Los Angeles, but they were also a Jeff Fisher team. And when they fired Jeff Fisher, Kenny Britt left shortly thereafter and went to a team at least some free agents seem to be avoiding.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dosbox


Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 31
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others say - it seems a bit high (although it depends on the contract). He is only 24 like others have mentioned and he could be a decent #2 option for them. Overpriced but not outrageous might be one way to describe this deal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoS


Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 7053
Location: Sleepless in Seattle
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crickett wrote:
SoS wrote:
I guess the real question is, is he an upgrade over Kenny Britt?

Of that, I'm skeptical.


Honestly I don't know one way or the other.

On the one hand, Woods was woefully underutilized in Buffalo, which could have been a product of just not being particularly good. Or it could have been the result of playing for poor passing offenses.

On the other hand, you have Kenny Britt. I have never seen Kenny Britt succeed at the pro level when being coached by anyone other than Jeff Fisher. He looked promising in Tennessee.... until they fired Jeff Fisher. Then he sort of fell apart. He looked like the only NFL caliber receiver in St. Louis/Los Angeles, but they were also a Jeff Fisher team. And when they fired Jeff Fisher, Kenny Britt left shortly thereafter and went to a team at least some free agents seem to be avoiding.


Agreed. I don't know either. I'd personally go with Britt, but I also understand the untapped potential that may come with Woods and he's reportedly a very hard worker, so at the very least he's a quality culture guy which you might not get with Britt.
_________________
DCRED wrote:
Your dialogue was amazing and your facts presented were Stellar.
You give yourself and your team's forum great Honor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 69131
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OleXmad wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
I mean...Good for Woods that he got paid and went to his hometown team, But the rams overpaid for a WR who hasn't proven he can stay healthy or shown he can productive in 4 years in the NFL. Say what you want about the rams but he's going from a solid offense in buffalo to a pretty terrible one with the rams, He'll be the no.2 WR in L.A but really he'll be the no.1 since teams don't fear Tavon Austin and no matter how much you scheme you can't make up for the fact Woods just isn't that good of a player.


There were people who said the same things about Emmanuel Sanders and Golden Tate when they left their respective teams. Scheme and role make a huge difference. In the end, it'll come down to Goff. If he develops into a quality QB, Woods should do quite well.


Yeah but they were at least solid receivers before they left and went to pass happy offense with very good QBs (Peyton before he dropped off, and of course stafford) Scheme and role do make a difference, but they still can't make up for the fact Woods Struggled to produce for 4 straight seasons (never topped 700 yards) he's JAG nothing more. I have zero Hopes goff develops into anything more than a backup you hope never sees the field, I mean Bortles threw for 35 TDs coming off his awful rookie season so it's possible for Goff to Improve I just doubt it.


Woods posted 699 yards in 2014. One yard isn't the difference between being a JAG and a stud. Manny Sanders's best year in Pittsburgh was 740 yards.

I don't know what Woods will be for us, but simply looking at Woods's production and writing him off isn't adding anything to the discussion.

As for your views on Goff, you're wrong. But I don't care to get into that argument again.

SoS wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
SoS wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
I mean...Good for Woods that he got paid and went to his hometown team, But the rams overpaid for a WR who hasn't proven he can stay healthy or shown he can productive in 4 years in the NFL. Say what you want about the rams but he's going from a solid offense in buffalo to a pretty terrible one with the rams, He'll be the no.2 WR in L.A but really he'll be the no.1 since teams don't fear Tavon Austin and no matter how much you scheme you can't make up for the fact Woods just isn't that good of a player.


There were people who said the same things about Emmanuel Sanders and Golden Tate when they left their respective teams. Scheme and role make a huge difference. In the end, it'll come down to Goff. If he develops into a quality QB, Woods should do quite well.


I think that comparison is a bit of a reach. Sanders and Tate showed off some serious potential at their previous destinations and were coming onto their new teams as no-doubt #2 options behind Demaryius and Calvin, respectively.

This isn't to say Woods won't be good, but I'll be shocked if he's ever considered an upper-echelon #2 WR like those other two guys, and that's how he's being paid.


Serious potential? Like say 160 receiving yards against a top defense? Wink

I don't think it's a reach. Woods may or may not reach that level, but his offense's scheme and QB definitely limited his production. We'll see if that changes with the Rams.

Golden Tate would have done just fine as a #1 option. Getting away from Seattle's run-first, spread the ball around offense was necessary for Tate to thrive.


I guess the real question is, is he an upgrade over Kenny Britt?

Of that, I'm skeptical.


In this scheme, yes.

Britt didn't fit this scheme. And they didn't want him in the locker room.

Crickett wrote:
SoS wrote:
I guess the real question is, is he an upgrade over Kenny Britt?

Of that, I'm skeptical.


Honestly I don't know one way or the other.

On the one hand, Woods was woefully underutilized in Buffalo, which could have been a product of just not being particularly good. Or it could have been the result of playing for poor passing offenses.

On the other hand, you have Kenny Britt. I have never seen Kenny Britt succeed at the pro level when being coached by anyone other than Jeff Fisher. He looked promising in Tennessee.... until they fired Jeff Fisher. Then he sort of fell apart. He looked like the only NFL caliber receiver in St. Louis/Los Angeles, but they were also a Jeff Fisher team. And when they fired Jeff Fisher, Kenny Britt left shortly thereafter and went to a team at least some free agents seem to be avoiding.


That's one reason why I wanted nothing to do with him after Fisher left. He's a knucklehead. Fisher knew how to get through to him enough.(although, there were still issues) However, when Munchak took over, Britt quit on his team.

I don't trust him with a different coaching staff. I think Hue Jackson is the type of guy who should be able to make it work with Britt. But I don't like the fit with McVay.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 35148
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OleXmad wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
I mean...Good for Woods that he got paid and went to his hometown team, But the rams overpaid for a WR who hasn't proven he can stay healthy or shown he can productive in 4 years in the NFL. Say what you want about the rams but he's going from a solid offense in buffalo to a pretty terrible one with the rams, He'll be the no.2 WR in L.A but really he'll be the no.1 since teams don't fear Tavon Austin and no matter how much you scheme you can't make up for the fact Woods just isn't that good of a player.


There were people who said the same things about Emmanuel Sanders and Golden Tate when they left their respective teams. Scheme and role make a huge difference. In the end, it'll come down to Goff. If he develops into a quality QB, Woods should do quite well.


Yeah but they were at least solid receivers before they left and went to pass happy offense with very good QBs (Peyton before he dropped off, and of course stafford) Scheme and role do make a difference, but they still can't make up for the fact Woods Struggled to produce for 4 straight seasons (never topped 700 yards) he's JAG nothing more. I have zero Hopes goff develops into anything more than a backup you hope never sees the field, I mean Bortles threw for 35 TDs coming off his awful rookie season so it's possible for Goff to Improve I just doubt it.

Well then the reality is that Woods could be Jerry Rice reincarnate and you'd still be hating on this signing.

Your prerogative to write off a young QB not even a full season's worth of starts into his career. My prerogative to think you look foolish doing so, too, I suppose.
_________________

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 63655
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
I mean...Good for Woods that he got paid and went to his hometown team, But the rams overpaid for a WR who hasn't proven he can stay healthy or shown he can productive in 4 years in the NFL. Say what you want about the rams but he's going from a solid offense in buffalo to a pretty terrible one with the rams, He'll be the no.2 WR in L.A but really he'll be the no.1 since teams don't fear Tavon Austin and no matter how much you scheme you can't make up for the fact Woods just isn't that good of a player.


There were people who said the same things about Emmanuel Sanders and Golden Tate when they left their respective teams. Scheme and role make a huge difference. In the end, it'll come down to Goff. If he develops into a quality QB, Woods should do quite well.


Yeah but they were at least solid receivers before they left and went to pass happy offense with very good QBs (Peyton before he dropped off, and of course stafford) Scheme and role do make a difference, but they still can't make up for the fact Woods Struggled to produce for 4 straight seasons (never topped 700 yards) he's JAG nothing more. I have zero Hopes goff develops into anything more than a backup you hope never sees the field, I mean Bortles threw for 35 TDs coming off his awful rookie season so it's possible for Goff to Improve I just doubt it.

Well then the reality is that Woods could be Jerry Rice reincarnate and you'd still be hating on this signing.

Your prerogative to write off a young QB not even a full season's worth of starts into his career. My prerogative to think you look foolish doing so, too, I suppose.


In all fairness, he did say he doesnt have HOPE that Goff will be any good. He might be wrong, but if was a person who didnt like Goff coming out, there isnt much wrong with that assessment as Goff really didnt do much to change anyones mind last year.

If you didnt like Goff coming out, chances are, you still dont like him.

If you DID like Goff coming out, its too soon to give up on him.

Either way, its too soon to write him off, but there is nothing wrong with someone saying they dont have much hope for him if they were never a fan of his to begin with.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group