You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rams set to sign WR Robert Woods
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stl4life07 wrote:
I wish people stop looking at the Rams as though we still have Fisher as the HC. If he was still the HC then yes the Woods signing wouldn't mean too much but McVay will bring a new approach to this offense that will truly suit Goff and utilize the weapons. He will bring the best out of Tavon that was never done under Fisher. Fisher brought in some very good talent on offense but he didn't know how to coach them. It's the equivalent to what my LSU Tigers went through under Les Miles. He recruited some great talents in offense in Dupree, ODB, Landry, Fournette, even Harris was the second best dual threat QB behind DeShaun Watson. The problem was that Miles didn't know how to really use them and thus they under achieve to their fullest potential and thus the offense for LSU was horrible. I'm confident that McVay will take those same guys that Fisher draft in Tavon, Higbee, Gurley, Goff, along with the guys he is bringing in himself like Woods and others and will make it work.

Engh... I don't know that I'd go quite that far on some of it.

If I'm being realistic, I'm not expecting McVay to turn Tavon into the second coming of D-Jax, because D-Jax is absolutely phenomenal at tracking the deep ball and has demonstrated better awareness than Tavon has. I'm a bit more optimistic that McVay can make use of Tavon similarly to how Jamison Crowder was utilized in Washington. Is that worth the contract that Tavon's got? Probably not, but I'd also contend that until such a time comes as that money is actually needed to retain our own homegrown talent (and on the assumption Tavon is producing akin to Crowder), I'm not in a rush to just send Tavon packing. It's a bad contract, yes. Most teams end up having at least 1 or 2 of those anyway - unless they're an established "perennial contender" like New England or flat out cheapskates (which are less and less now that there's actually a salary floor).

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
stl4life07

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make good use of Tavon by putting the ball in his hands consistently 10-12 times a game on offense. I felt like Fisher/Boras didn't do that. Let Tavon and Gurley work off each other in the running game and short passing game which will set up deep shots down the field. If Tavon gets space with the ball in his hands, I will challenge anyone to come up with many players in the NFL that are more electric and explosive than Tavon. I look at it like this, if Cooks was drafted by Fisher people would've been saying the same things about him as they are about Tavon. Cooks under Payton makes his value a high 1st round pick in the Saints eyes because of what Cooks has shown he can do in the NFL thanks to his talent and the right coach in the right system. It doesn't hurt to have a great QB also in Brees. If Goff will ever be what most thought coming into the draft as "Matt Ryan" comparison, McVay is the right coach in terms of system and creativity/development. By doing so Goff has the skill sets to take advantage of a talent like Tavon and the creativity and system will put Tavon in a better position to succeed more than anyone will even realize. I expect Gurley to be more involved in the passing game which will take advantage of his skill set in that area which was vastly underrated ultlized with Fisher as the coach.
S-jax39

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TP goes for one year 8 million, making this deal look even worst.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-jax39 wrote:

All things were not equal. Hate to break it to you, but dumpster fire of a front office as they may be, the Redskins are a team that's a year removed from winning their division, were one "win and in" game away from making the playoffs last season, and have a QB whom I'd be more willing to hang my livelihood on if I were signing a one-year prove-it deal to try to cash in a year later for legit WR1 money, compared to us where Goff is still a relative unknown commodity to receivers, is (as a whole team) learning a new offensive scheme, and (could honestly be the most important) plays in a division that's a lot less friendly of late to WR's than the NFCE is.

Comparing Pryor's contract to Wood's is apples to oranges.

MathMan wrote:
l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least we might win like 5-6 games if we're lucky. So I guess that's an improvement.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the signing. They clearly see potential in this kid to be a rock steady role player in the offense. Whats better is I have yet to hear a complaint about the kid from a single Bills fan. He was a fan favorite of a lot of Bills fans. They think we overpaid, but they love him.

Did we overpay? Time will tell. But I think most of the overreaction from some of our fans is just typical sticker shock. Happens every off season when the cap is raised a good chunk. "Oh my god, theyre crazy! He isnt worth that!" Well, he might not have been worth that last year, when the cap was where it was. But this year? Not so easy to say what "fair" market value is.

Then again, some fans around here just live to whine. And nothing will stop that.

Kiltman on the sig!

2016 Adopt-a-Ram Jared Goff:
Comp:99 Att:185 Yards:969 TD:5 INT:7 Rating:65.7

Last edited by Non-Issue on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:37 am; edited 2 times in total
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
S-jax39 wrote:

All things were not equal. Hate to break it to you, but dumpster fire of a front office as they may be, the Redskins are a team that's a year removed from winning their division, were one "win and in" game away from making the playoffs last season, and have a QB whom I'd be more willing to hang my livelihood on if I were signing a one-year prove-it deal to try to cash in a year later for legit WR1 money, compared to us where Goff is still a relative unknown commodity to receivers, is (as a whole team) learning a new offensive scheme, and (could honestly be the most important) plays in a division that's a lot less friendly of late to WR's than the NFCE is.

Pryor also has some big character questions and may not fit McVay's scheme. You don't just go throw money at any good FA. Quality coaching staffs identify what they need for a specific vacancy and fill it with a player who fits that need.

As the Patriots have shown us, that doesn't need to be the most talented player on the market. Rather, it just needs to be a guy who can do exactly what you envision him doing and do it well.

If you take a step back and look at the big picture, McVay made no attempt to sign Kenny Britt. Terrelle Pryor offers a skill-set and character concerns that are quite similar to Britt's. If McVay didn't see Britt fitting in here, he likely also didn't see Pryor fitting in here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
S-jax39 wrote:

Pryor also has some big character questions and may not fit McVay's scheme. You don't just go throw money at any good FA. Quality coaching staffs identify what they need for a specific vacancy and fill it with a player who fits that need.

As the Patriots have shown us, that doesn't need to be the most talented player on the market. Rather, it just needs to be a guy who can do exactly what you envision him doing and do it well.

If you take a step back and look at the big picture, McVay made no attempt to sign Kenny Britt. Terrelle Pryor offers a skill-set and character concerns that are quite similar to Britt's. If McVay didn't see Britt fitting in here, he likely also didn't see Pryor fitting in here.

You're talking a bunch of nonsense, bro. Terrell Pryor is an 83 OVR and Robert Woods is a 78 OVR. Clearly Pryor would be better for our offense.

I'm pretty sure that's how Belichick does it.

Kiltman on the sig!

2016 Adopt-a-Ram Jared Goff:
Comp:99 Att:185 Yards:969 TD:5 INT:7 Rating:65.7
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to talk a bit more about route running and why what Robert Woods does is such an important thing. McVay explained that Woods makes all his routes look the same. One would expect that's a pretty common thing in the NFL, but it's really not. A lot of NFL WRs have tells. The easiest tell is that some WRs run routes at different speeds based on the depth of the route. Changing speeds as a route runner can be a high level skill that some WRs master to dupe CBs. However, most WRs change speeds because they aren't refined route runners. The bad type of changing speed is when you come off the line slower on shorter routes than you do on longer routes. CBs pick up on this, especially CBs who watch a lot of film. It helps them to determine when to squat on short routes or bail to cover the longer routes. Refined route runners will sell their vertical stem aggressively off the LOS no matter what route is being run. This forces the CB to always respect the vertical route instead of squatting. However, that isn't always true in practice (I'll explain why a little later). The best route runners change their speed to deceive CBs. They know how to change the way they sell their vertical stems to bait CBs into making mistakes. This is a high level concept and very few guys in the NFL actually do it.(because not all schemes allow for it) Stevie Johnson used to be incredible at it, but Buffalo also gave him a lot of leeway to freelance in their scheme.

Another important part of making your routes all look identical is that it gives you a two-way go. You'll often hear that phrase when a HB is in the open field and a safety has to make the tackle. In that situation, a two-way go means that the HB can cut either way, and the safety must play more cautiously because he can't box the HB in. When discussing route running, it means that the WR can cut either way. It has the same benefit for route running. The CB has to play the break more cautiously if the WR can cut either way. If the CB catches the WR tipping his hand by allowing his eyes to deceive him, leaning before his break, or letting his body get in front of his feet (i.e., turning his shoulders/head before he has exploded off his plant foot), it gives him an extra step or two to break on the route and the pass. You want the CB to have no idea which way you're breaking because he won't be able to break on the route until after you've committed (after you've broken down and dropped your plant foot). That will earn you separation.

Something you'll see talented route runners do is "tilt" a DB before the break point. Here's an example of Woods doing it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKjW6a1FTt4
There are many ways to tilt a DB, but it basically means get the DB leaning in the opposite direction of the way you plan to break. If his momentum is taking him the wrong way, it will get you that much more open. Here, Woods does a nice job with his release off the LOS. You will see guys generally use three moves in the NFL. You have a straight release, a one-step release, and a two-step release. Here, Woods utilizes a straight release and uses his hands to keep Lane from tying him up on the LOS. After getting off the LOS, watch Woods aggressively get back onto his vertical stem and try to stack Lane. While, he's not able to totally stack Lane, he does an amazing job of using his vertical stem to tilt Lane. Watch Lane's hips and shoulders. Because Woods is leveraging his route inside, Lane opens his hips and shoulders inside. When Woods quickly breaks down and makes his speed cut outside, Lane has no ability to undercut the route or stick with Woods on the break because Lane's momentum is taking him away from where Woods is going. The other great part about this play is that Woods leveraging his route inside holds the C-2 safety inside. That gives Woods more room to work with after he makes his cut. This is a great display of route running. Leveraging your vertical stem is one way to tilt a defender. There are other ways to tilt defenders, including using a variety of subtle fakes (such as head fakes or shoulder fakes).

In addition to tilting a defender, you want your WR to be able to use his vertical stem to open up a defender's hips early. This is why it's important to make your routes look the same and aggressively sell your vertical stem. If you can get the defender to open his hips early, it'll earn you much more separation on stop routes. And if you can trick him into squatting at the wrong time, you can get him to open his hips late which will earn you separation on vertical routes. Antonio Brown is one of the masters at changing speed to get DBs to make mistakes in this regard. One such move is that Brown will come off the LOS slower than he normally does to lull the DB into squatting, and then he'll suddenly accelerate hard to scare the DB into thinking that he was trying to bait him. This will cause the DB to flip his hips and aggressively bail. At this point, Brown will break down and make his break on a stop route. When he catches the ball, the DB will be 5-10 yards up the field, and that will allow Brown to pick up yards after the catch.

Getting back to my earlier point about why WRs aggressively selling their vertical stem doesn't always create separation, this is because some WRs don't have the athletic traits to scare the CB. For example, I always used to say that Brandon Gibson was a precise route runner but not a good route runner. What I meant by this is that Gibson's routes were run in a textbook fashion. He aggressively sold his vertical stem, he ran his route to the proper depth, and he took the correct number of steps in making his break. However, Gibson lacked the vertical speed and explosiveness out of his breaks to back DBs off. Thus, despite his textbook route running, he wasn't tilting DBs or causing them to open their hips early. In addition, Gibson wasn't a creative route runner. If you lack the physical attributes to scare the DB, you have to use skill and intelligence to create separation. Gibson never had the feel for how to use subtle fakes or changes in speed to get the DB off balance. Woods has that ability.

There are two final points I want to make. Route running changes based on the coverage type and leverage. This is why it's important to have WRs who can read defenses, understand your offensive scheme, and adjust on the fly. Some offenses are more complex than others in how much reading of the defense they ask their WRs to do. The Patriots are an example of an offense that is very complex, but it also makes it very difficult to cover their WRs because of their ability to adjust on the fly to what you're doing.(if they have the right WRs for the system) Also, different schemes allow differing amounts of freedom for their WRs. A lot of offenses sync up their route concepts, QB drops, and steps in the routes. Thus, it is important for the WR to run his route to the proper depth with the proper number of steps in the proper amount of time. Improper depth could screw up the route concept or make the QB's throw look inaccurate. Improper number of steps often will lead to improper depth or improper timing. Improper timing will cause the QB to hold the ball longer or give the DB extra time to break on the route.(depending on whether the WR is early or late) Thus, it will depend on the scheme how much freedom WRs are given to incorporate changes of speed and fakes into the route. It will also depend on the WR's ability. If you're an elite WR, the QB and team will give you more freedom to use these high level skills than they will the #4 WR on the roster.

Anyways, I hope this was helpful. I know it's going to be a wall of text, but I think there's useful info in there.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LARams91 wrote:
RamRod wrote:
The LBC wrote:
RamPackFan wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:
RamRod wrote:
I'd still like to see us draft a guy like Zay Jones or Cooper Kupp in the second or someone like Isaiah Ford in the third.

A WR will still be drafted. Although I think round 2 is very early for the like of Kupp and Ford.

Round 2 would be for a guy like Jones/Godwin

I personally woule like to see one of these talented TEs taken early, then CB & WR

I wouldn't mind a guy like Malone in the 3-4 range. Chesson and JuJu may last until the early 3rd but they aren't as much as a vertical threat as Malone would be.

This signing makes Juju extremely unlikely as they basically satisfy the same role in this offense (the sharp route-running possession guy X receiver).

I have a hard time swallowing that McVay looks at Austin and thinks that's the guy that's going to play the DeSean (Y receiver) role, but they may opt to give him a shot there unless value falls to them in the draft.

I honestly think this could put someone like Evan Engram in play in the 2nd (obviously assuming he's still there, but that's going to be a convoluted bottom of the 1st and I'd expect Mayo and Njoku to go ahead of Engram).

Or Bucky Hodges in the third. This TE class is ridiculous and extremely athletic.

I want Jonnu Smith so bad for this offense. Engram I think can be a WR with how he ran, but if he were to play that spot I'd love it as well. But bang for your back, gimme Jonnu so we can focus on other positions early.

I'm over bang-for-your-buck, I want the guy with the athleticism and the highest visible success-rate, and flatly I'm willing to forfeit a little "value" in order to get that. Largely because, what we're talking about in the bigger picture here is hedging for Goff's success (because if he pans out then we're set for the long-term).

Too much focus gets put into having "the perfect draft" and not taking a guy because there are other guys with similar athleticism or skill sets later on. Similar yet? But as-good? That's not always the case. If it means getting someone who has a bit more actual polish and has played (and produced) against higher-grade opposition, to me it's worth kicking that value can a little. Granted, this is arguably the most stacked TE class since 2013, but to me that also speaks to the scarcity of TE classes like this. Don't look the gift horse in the mouth. And don't quibble over using a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a guy with an elite ceiling (particularly in this scheme and how it uses athletic TE's) because we could get someone similar a round later and we could get a CB2 (which, let's face it, every draft class - considering the rate at which underclassmen are declaring now - is going to provide opportunities to secure) in that round instead.

MathMan wrote:
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris00cm wrote:
I like the optimism, but these "incentives" we keep hearing about better be hefty. But as we speak, it's a bad deal. Woods and Garcon are the only receivers that got well above what was expected. 49ers have to overpay to get free agents. Depressing to think we're in a similar state as the 49ers.

Stills and Britt both got more than Woods did. Woods got paid the market value for his services.

RamRod wrote:
The LBC wrote:
RamPackFan wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:
RamRod wrote:
I'd still like to see us draft a guy like Zay Jones or Cooper Kupp in the second or someone like Isaiah Ford in the third.

A WR will still be drafted. Although I think round 2 is very early for the like of Kupp and Ford.

Round 2 would be for a guy like Jones/Godwin

I personally woule like to see one of these talented TEs taken early, then CB & WR

I wouldn't mind a guy like Malone in the 3-4 range. Chesson and JuJu may last until the early 3rd but they aren't as much as a vertical threat as Malone would be.

This signing makes Juju extremely unlikely as they basically satisfy the same role in this offense (the sharp route-running possession guy X receiver).

I have a hard time swallowing that McVay looks at Austin and thinks that's the guy that's going to play the DeSean (Y receiver) role, but they may opt to give him a shot there unless value falls to them in the draft.

I honestly think this could put someone like Evan Engram in play in the 2nd (obviously assuming he's still there, but that's going to be a convoluted bottom of the 1st and I'd expect Mayo and Njoku to go ahead of Engram).

Or Bucky Hodges in the third. This TE class is ridiculous and extremely athletic.

I don't want Bucky. He reminds me of Jared Cook. Very athletic but doesn't block or catch the ball well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we probably have to look at the Washington offense for the past few seasons to get an idea where we are still looking in Free Agency and into the Draft to round out this offense.

We are in a better spot at RB than they were ever in, so Gurley is already a plus. Put we will for sure need to find a decent backup, as we will likely be pounding the rock alot early till Goff & his weapons can get in sync. And we should be giving Gurley the ball in the Redzone, especially without a Jordan Reed Type.

Speaking of . . . I like Tyler Higbee, and am looking forward to what he can become, but he is not Jordan Reed yet (has the tools to be that type of TE, but will he blossom?). Either way, we will need to find another TE, because the dual threat of Reed/Davis was a scary option to defend.

When we come to WR is where things get a bit Murky. With the signing of Robert Woods, I feel like he is supposed to take the Pierre Garcon role. And I am actually really confident in him as a great compliment receiver. But the real question is how does he see Tavon? Is he going to try and force him intp the Djax role? or will he be confident enough/convince the Front Office that our highest paid WR is best used in the Jameson Crowder role?

I thought grabbing Philly Brown and sliding him into the Djax role would have been a good way to go, but with him going to Buffalo, I dont know if there are any other FA that could fit that role.

We clearly need to make some more moves (Center/TE/Receiver/etc.) to get this unit up to snuff, but atleast it seems we are taking the right steps so far.
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
So we probably have to look at the Washington offense for the past few seasons to get an idea where we are still looking in Free Agency and into the Draft to round out this offense.

We are in a better spot at RB than they were ever in, so Gurley is already a plus. Put we will for sure need to find a decent backup, as we will likely be pounding the rock alot early till Goff & his weapons can get in sync. And we should be giving Gurley the ball in the Redzone, especially without a Jordan Reed Type.

Speaking of . . . I like Tyler Higbee, and am looking forward to what he can become, but he is not Jordan Reed yet (has the tools to be that type of TE, but will he blossom?). Either way, we will need to find another TE, because the dual threat of Reed/Davis was a scary option to defend.

When we come to WR is where things get a bit Murky. With the signing of Robert Woods, I feel like he is supposed to take the Pierre Garcon role. And I am actually really confident in him as a great compliment receiver. But the real question is how does he see Tavon? Is he going to try and force him intp the Djax role? or will he be confident enough/convince the Front Office that our highest paid WR is best used in the Jameson Crowder role?

I thought grabbing Philly Brown and sliding him into the Djax role would have been a good way to go, but with him going to Buffalo, I dont know if there are any other FA that could fit that role.

We clearly need to make some more moves (Center/TE/Receiver/etc.) to get this unit up to snuff, but atleast it seems we are taking the right steps so far.

There are some WRs in this draft capable of playing that role. K.D. Cannon is one of them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terms of the Woods contract are out:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/robert-woods-12322/

Woods is getting paid $6.8 million per year without the incentives factored in. The Rams can get out of it after the first year with only $3 million in dead money. It's an incredibly team-friendly deal. He's being paid average #2 WR money with very little in guarantees.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Terms of the Woods contract are out:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/robert-woods-12322/

Woods is getting paid $6.8 million per year without the incentives factored in. The Rams can get out of it after the first year with only $3 million in dead money. It's an incredibly team-friendly deal. He's being paid average #2 WR money with very little in guarantees.

It's almost like the people pleading patience until we found out the terms were right. No need once again to freak out at the initial numbers it turns out to be a very friendly team deal.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: