Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rams set to sign WR Robert Woods
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctp2124 wrote:
Flatlyner wrote:
I look at it like this. We lost Britt, we added Woods. Taking last years targets in the equation, Woods was a more efficient WR then Britt. Give Woods Britts targets (111), and I think he's a 1,000 yard receiver easily. He's 4 years younger as well,and, by all accounts has good hands and runs good routes. I think he's an improvement myself.

We are still working on building our receivers but my worry is we have no one that is a great redzone threat. I'm not losing sleep over not re-signing Britt and Quick but unless Higbee takes a big step up I could see us really struggle in the redzone which was the only knock on the Redskins offense last year IIRC.

There's this thing called the draft... maybe you've heard of it? [/sarcasm]

But seriously, the one thing that rookie receivers don't tend to struggle with is snagging TD's - it's usually the yards, getting separation consistently, being a reliable option in moving the ball. And one of the things that this draft is chock full of are slower, big-bodied jumpers. Hell, we're not so deep at WR or TE that we can't afford to carry a guy that's largely just a weapon for inside the 20's like the Ravens do with Darren Waller.

Also, I'd point out that part of the reason why the Redskins offense struggled so mightily in the red zone is that they had - in spite of a fairly good OL (center position was a shade iffy) - an extremely underwhelming rushing attack. Matt Jones' fumbling issues earned him a shiny spot on the bench - and on several occasions he wasn't even a gameday active. Rob Kelley is JAG; nice story, but he's a plodding, dime a dozen zone-runner. None of these guys are remotely comparable to Gurley. Go back to when the Redskins had an actual runner (Alfred Morris, still not comparable to Gurley, but a lot closer than what they had last season is) and he finished 8th in the league in rushing TD's - and that was in their season where RGIII was flailing mightily before being benched for Cousins.

Even in the season where Morris was losing carries to Matt Jones, the Skins were 11th in the league in red zone percentage (north of 58%), which tends to happen when Jordan Reed doesn't miss 1/4 of the season or more. As Reed went, so went the Skins red zone efficiency.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
ctp2124

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^

Good points. And at this point if our offense is periodically getting past the 50 that is an improvement so maybe we will save the redzone for year 2 Cool

Props to mike23md

YAWK YAWK YAWK YaWK
chris00cm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very disappointing signing. I don't know how anyone could put a positive spin on this.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
bertuzzi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned months ago how woods would be a good fit here if he doesnt sign with the bills again. Some of you are going to be surprised how good of a blocker you have in this guy. I swear hes one of the best in the league that helped shady bust out long gains all the time.

15 mill is cheap in my opinion, you will be happy with this signing im sure. Hes a great guy and teammate.
l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

51 catches for 613 yards and 1 TD last year.

Yay!!!!! We improved. This signing is so good.

/sarcasm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l3lind golfer wrote:

/sarcasm

You can't just look at his stats and put the signing down. He played in an offense where they ran the ball a ton and they also had Sammy Watkins.
BStanRamFan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l3lind golfer wrote:

/sarcasm

Yeah free agency usually isn't paid based on what you've done, it's what you could do. The guy was the 3rd option behind Watkins and McCoy in a run first offense. I think he will play Pierre Garcon's role perfectly in our offense. Tavon will play D-jax. We got Higbee and if we draft Evan Engram we have our Jordan Reed. I don't see us signing a clear cut "#1 Wide Receiver" like everyone is talking about. That doesn't fit our scheme.
stl4life07

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BStanRamFan wrote:
l3lind golfer wrote:

/sarcasm

Yeah free agency usually isn't paid based on what you've done, it's what you could do. The guy was the 3rd option behind Watkins and McCoy in a run first offense. I think he will play Pierre Garcon's role perfectly in our offense. Tavon will play D-jax. We got Higbee and if we draft Evan Engram we have our Jordan Reed. I don't see us signing a clear cut "#1 Wide Receiver" like everyone is talking about. That doesn't fit our scheme.

I wish a lot of people think like you. Woods was signed for what he could do not what he will do. Same with the Niners signing Goodwin to be what Gabriel was in the Shannahan offense in Atlanta. If Woods can be what Garçon was in McVay offense on Washington, then I'll take it all day. To me it makes sense.
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deal is said to be a lot of incentives. If he actually earns the full value we'll have seen some very good production from him. Not nearly the bad deal that people are crying about.
l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boboso20 wrote:
l3lind golfer wrote:

/sarcasm

You can't just look at his stats and put the signing down. He played in an offense where they ran the ball a ton and they also had Sammy Watkins.
Yea and now he plays in an offense that struggled mightily to move the football and score points.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l3lind golfer wrote:
Boboso20 wrote:
l3lind golfer wrote:

/sarcasm

Yea and now he plays in an offense that struggled mightily to move the football and score points.

Under Jeff Fisher and Rob Boras Now our offense will be run by Sean McVay.....You do watch the Rams right? lol
chris00cm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the optimism, but these "incentives" we keep hearing about better be hefty. But as we speak, it's a bad deal. Woods and Garcon are the only receivers that got well above what was expected. 49ers have to overpay to get free agents. Depressing to think we're in a similar state as the 49ers.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
BStanRamFan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to throw this out there.... I don't believe we need a true #1 WR in the Julio Jones type mold because that's not what McVay's system asks for. But I do agree we need a deep threat and red zone. Now if people are skeptical of Tavon being that D-Jax type player, I can certainly understand it. But if we are looking for someone to win jump balls and be a red zone threat....Michael Floyd can be that guy. He also operates in the middle of the field fairly well. He could come at a 1year $5-7 million deal. Allows us to draft Evan Engram to be our Jordan Reed.

6'3
220lbs
4.47 40yrd dash.

Robert Woods
Michael Floyd
Tavon Austin
Evan Engram
Tyler Higbee

I would be thrilled going into Week 1 with that skill position group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTpBHSfElyU
stl4life07

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish people stop looking at the Rams as though we still have Fisher as the HC. If he was still the HC then yes the Woods signing wouldn't mean too much but McVay will bring a new approach to this offense that will truly suit Goff and utilize the weapons. He will bring the best out of Tavon that was never done under Fisher. Fisher brought in some very good talent on offense but he didn't know how to coach them. It's the equivalent to what my LSU Tigers went through under Les Miles. He recruited some great talents in offense in Dupree, ODB, Landry, Fournette, even Harris was the second best dual threat QB behind DeShaun Watson. The problem was that Miles didn't know how to really use them and thus they under achieve to their fullest potential and thus the offense for LSU was horrible. I'm confident that McVay will take those same guys that Fisher draft in Tavon, Higbee, Gurley, Goff, along with the guys he is bringing in himself like Woods and others and will make it work.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BStanRamFan wrote:
I would like to throw this out there.... I don't believe we need a true #1 WR in the Julio Jones type mold because that's not what McVay's system asks for. But I do agree we need a deep threat and red zone. Now if people are skeptical of Tavon being that D-Jax type player, I can certainly understand it. But if we are looking for someone to win jump balls and be a red zone threat....Michael Floyd can be that guy. He also operates in the middle of the field fairly well. He could come at a 1year $5-7 million deal. Allows us to draft Evan Engram to be our Jordan Reed.

6'3
220lbs
4.47 40yrd dash.

Robert Woods
Michael Floyd
Tavon Austin
Evan Engram
Tyler Higbee

I would be thrilled going into Week 1 with that skill position group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTpBHSfElyU

Reality is, I don't think we're going to sink a ton more FA money into the WR position so long as Tavon's contract is on the books unless it's in a 1-year prove-it type deal, and those typically don't start getting handed out until after the draft.

A couple guys who I think could have moved more into our radar due to scheme fit now would be Chad Hansen (I normally don't put a ton of stock in college QB/college WR pairings; just figure, give me that talented receiver, period and a good QB will be able to work with him) and Josh Reynolds. Clearly Zay Jones ought to still be in play as well, but he's likely to go at least a round ahead of where the others will. And it's just my opinion, but I believe an Engram or Everett helps us a lot more (and by us, I mean Goff in this scheme) than Zay does.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: