Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cowboys Re-Sign Brice Butler
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
atran35


Joined: 22 Dec 2007
Posts: 4228
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still need to draft and develop a WR. Brice will play the deep ball guy...he better start catching.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaBoys


Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Posts: 8278
Location: Not a fan of Linehan.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atran35 wrote:
Still need to draft and develop a WR. Brice will play the deep ball guy...he better start catching.


As mediocre as Butler is, I have a hard time believing that any WR drafted outside round 1 will be light years better.
_________________
Kilty as charged.

Adopt a Cowboy: X Dez Bryant X ~ 50 Rec ~ 796 Yds ~ 8 TDs ~ 15.9 YPC ~ 1 Passing TD ~ 4 games missed


Last edited by DaBoys on Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Action Jackson


Joined: 30 Sep 2014
Posts: 3094
Location: Ft.Worth, Texas
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Dez
2. ??? ----> Kenny Britt or perhaps John Ross!
3. Beastly
4. Whitehead
5. Butler
_________________

EL ramster on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Action Jackson


Joined: 30 Sep 2014
Posts: 3094
Location: Ft.Worth, Texas
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
atran35 wrote:
Still need to draft and develop a WR. Brice will play the deep ball guy...he better start catching.


A mediocre as Butler is, I have a hard time believing that any WR drafted outside round 1 will be light years better.


Really? I think about at least 10 WR's in this draft will be better day 1 than Butler.
_________________

EL ramster on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaBoys


Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Posts: 8278
Location: Not a fan of Linehan.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Action Jackson wrote:
DaBoys wrote:
atran35 wrote:
Still need to draft and develop a WR. Brice will play the deep ball guy...he better start catching.


A mediocre as Butler is, I have a hard time believing that any WR drafted outside round 1 will be light years better.


Really? I think about at least 10 WR's in this draft will be better day 1 than Butler.


You also have Lucky Whitehead over Butler. Whitehead isn't even really a WR. He has more career carries than he does receptions. Hell Butler had 3 TDs last year compared to Lucky's 3 receptions.
_________________
Kilty as charged.

Adopt a Cowboy: X Dez Bryant X ~ 50 Rec ~ 796 Yds ~ 8 TDs ~ 15.9 YPC ~ 1 Passing TD ~ 4 games missed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TD-ES-JJ


Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Posts: 2144
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:
DaBoys wrote:
atran35 wrote:
Still need to draft and develop a WR. Brice will play the deep ball guy...he better start catching.


A mediocre as Butler is, I have a hard time believing that any WR drafted outside round 1 will be light years better.


Really? I think about at least 10 WR's in this draft will be better day 1 than Butler.


You also have Lucky Whitehead over Butler. Whitehead isn't even really a WR. He has more career carries than he does receptions. Hell Butler had 3 TDs last year compared to Lucky's 3 receptions.


I'd cut Lucky too. He sucks on returns and only has one play in the offense. Don't need him. There are at least 10 guys in the UFA category who could replace him.

My philosophy is that if you're not getting better, you're getting worse. If you think you are set at any position except QB or LT, and you don't have an All-Pro at that position your are sliding back.

I'm down on Butler, but he's better than nothing...slightly. But signing him doesn't change anythng.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matt79511


Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 4989
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butler turned down an opportunity to test the market and possibly get more money because he wanted to be a starter. There's different ways to look at that, but "loser mentality" is a little strong.

Don't think $300k guaranteed 'guarantees' him a job here, though
_________________


Adopt-a-Cowboy 2016: Sean Lee- 145 tackles (93 solo, 52 assisted), 1 PD, 1 FR, 13 TFLs, 977/982 defensive snaps played excluding the meaningless Week 17 game against the last place Eagles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ManInTheMirror


Joined: 02 Aug 2013
Posts: 922
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with this especially for the price.

TD-ES-JJ wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
DalCowboyzRule wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
With Marshall being at $6M/yr, Butler better be $2M or less....


You just know we gave him $3.5 million or something because #loyalty Very Happy



1 yr @$1.5 mil per NFL Network. Thats a great price.


Brice Butler has a loser mentality


How do you figure?
_________________
GEE MEN wrote:
If Tim Tebow had Dallas' offensive line he would be Dakota Prescott.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TD-ES-JJ


Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Posts: 2144
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManInTheMirror wrote:
I'm fine with this especially for the price.

TD-ES-JJ wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
DalCowboyzRule wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
With Marshall being at $6M/yr, Butler better be $2M or less....


You just know we gave him $3.5 million or something because #loyalty Very Happy



1 yr @$1.5 mil per NFL Network. Thats a great price.


Brice Butler has a loser mentality


How do you figure?


Stupid, selfish penalties at the wrong time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Devin Kurant


Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 11712
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD-ES-JJ wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
DalCowboyzRule wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
With Marshall being at $6M/yr, Butler better be $2M or less....


You just know we gave him $3.5 million or something because #loyalty Very Happy



1 yr @$1.5 mil per NFL Network. Thats a great price.


Brice Butler has a loser mentality and I really don't want him on my team. But he was cheap and it shores up the position a little bit, so I can't be too mad. That shouldn't stop us from drafting his replacement and releasing him before the season starts, cause that money is probably not guaranteed until after the first game.

Progress stoppers are not welcomed here!


I don't think he had a loser mentality, but I think he's just not that good. I also think people hated Terrance Williams so much on a cellular level that they convinced themselves Butler was a superstar in the making.

In reality, Butler had more drops on far fewer targets than Williams and had backbreaking drops/penalties in the playoff game.

He's a good #5 receiver to have I guess, but it looks like we're making him our #2 which is going to be not good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Matts4313


Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 48973
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of 12
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What world do I live in where Kenny Britt is making significantly more money than Brandon Marshall..
_________________


Tony Romos Last pass was a TD against the EAGLES!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Devin Kurant


Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 11712
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
What world do I live in where Kenny Britt is making significantly more money than Brandon Marshall..


The world where somehow New York can shell out $800 million in contracts a year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Matts4313


Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 48973
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of 12
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devin Kurant wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
What world do I live in where Kenny Britt is making significantly more money than Brandon Marshall..


The world where somehow New York can shell out $800 million in contracts a year.


Question

They paid Marshall Peanuts...
_________________


Tony Romos Last pass was a TD against the EAGLES!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matt79511


Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 4989
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cowboys' "#2 receiver" is really only 5th in the pecking order for targets behind Dez, Witten, Beasley, and Zeke, so I don't think it's worth too much rioting over whether it's Butler, Williams, or some rookie or free agent we haven't signed yet filling that role.

Speaking of, this is Dez's full offseason since 2014 (no injury/contract dispute occupying him from training with the team). Time for my dude to remind everyone how incredible he is at football
_________________


Adopt-a-Cowboy 2016: Sean Lee- 145 tackles (93 solo, 52 assisted), 1 PD, 1 FR, 13 TFLs, 977/982 defensive snaps played excluding the meaningless Week 17 game against the last place Eagles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Matts4313


Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 48973
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of 12
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
The Cowboys' "#2 receiver" is really only 5th in the pecking order for targets behind Dez, Witten, Beasley, and Zeke, so I don't think it's worth too much rioting over whether it's Butler, Williams, or some rookie or free agent we haven't signed yet filling that role.

Speaking of, this is Dez's full offseason since 2014 (no injury/contract dispute occupying him from training with the team). Time for my dude to remind everyone how incredible he is at football


Dez needs to take a paycut or increase his production. And I love Dez.
_________________


Tony Romos Last pass was a TD against the EAGLES!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group