Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Popular prospects you see as higher bust chance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trojan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Popular prospects you see as higher bust chance Reply with quote

Every year we all have our couple guys that we like, but then overextend to say "well I could see this guys being reasonable too". A lot of us end up getting snakebitten by these prospects in retrospect. Names that come to mind recently are players like Breshad Permian, Duke Johnson and Phillip Dorsett who never really were prospects that interested the bulk of us during the offseason, but near draft time was decently high on a lot of people's draft boards.

Who are the guys this year that have popular grades in the top 100 prospects that you could see more easily being a "bust". This includes combine risers. All listed players obviously should be good players because they are top 100, but just guys you think their flaws might make them not realize their potential. Discussing QBs probably isn't worth it since we aren't focusing on QB with Carr and Cook on the roster.

To start off I could see:
1. Malik McDowell, DE (Character and only has success with a couple moves, easily solved with film as long as his natural talents aren't simply overpowering athletically.)
2. Alvin Kamara, RB (Character, wasn't a starter over Hurd, only one or two exceptional games. I don't think he moves like Jamaal Charles like so many say. I think he's an average rotational piece in the NFL.)
3. Tim Williams, EDGE (Character issues and how good is he against the run, or how much does his rush suffer without his dominate DL eating lesser OTs)
4. Dede Westbrook, WR (Character and size issues)
5. Obi Melifonwu, S (I am anxious to see how his career takes off, but I think so much of his ascent is on theory crafting extra strengths that aren't all the way developed.)
6. Adoree' Jackson, CB (I don't think he has the technique, but I think he'll stick in the league as a DJ Hayden or slightly better type)
7. Cooper Kupp, WR (Combine was a massive disappointment, reminds me of Vince Mayle)
8. Charles Harris, EDGE (All speed, but I don't think it's enough)
9. Carl Lawson, EDGE (I just don't see it)
10. Caleb Brantley, DT (Disappears a bit too much)

The more controversial you guys go the better this thought experiment I think. There is so much hype this time of year I'd like to hear the "tear them down" arguments more since I too get caught up in the "me too" for positives and end up with too big of a big board for guys I'd like the Raiders to draft. If you guys have more examples or evidence all the better. Listing a guy doesn't necessarily mean you dislike them as a prospect, just you could reasonably see them not panning out. For example I list Malik McDowell, but he obviously has the talent to be elite and I'd love for him to be a Raider and have it all click, I just can easily see the opposite happening.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Reuben Foster. You have to be some kind of stupid to get sent home from the combine. I'd be extremely worried about him getting in troubles every other week if i was a GM.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Well, Reuben Foster. You have to be some kind of stupid to get sent home from the combine. I'd be extremely worried about him getting in troubles every other week if i was a GM.

This is ridiculously blown out proportion. He was in a waiting room for hours, got impatient and had an outburst.

Who here hasn't lost their cool being impatient.

You'd be worried every other week if you were a GM? Get out of here with that. It's not like he has a history of this behavior.

He's going to be a top 10 pick, and a dominate player in the NFL.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

This is ridiculously blown out proportion. He was in a waiting room for hours, got impatient and had an outburst.

You'd be worried every other week if you were a GM? Get out of here with that. It's not like he has a history of this behavior.

Have you ever "lost your cool" at a job interview? if you did, i'm sure you didn't get the job.
If he can't control himself in those circumstances, i'm definitely worried he can in his everyday life.
attack_in_s/b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

Have you ever "lost your cool" at a job interview? if you did, i'm sure you didn't get the job.
If he can't control himself in those circumstances, i'm definitely worried he can in his everyday life.

Very valid point my friend. Biggest stage, you'd expect best behaviour. I'm not reading as much into it though, I attribute it to nerves and having to wait in a hospital when you're supposed to be doing last min prep for the combine. Also have no way of knowing what the exchange was like - I imagine like anything it takes 2. I definitely want an explanation but I'm not going to assume things about his character because of it.

In regard to the topic though, I think naturally you're tweeners and guys that broke out st the combine are always the ones that have a high chance of busting (not being even a viable starter).

Cb - adoree Jackson - frail frame, can't imagine the outcome of him trying to tackle a tight end or bigger rb. Is he just a return man?

Lb - hassan reddick - undersized college de that looks to transition to a coverage backer. Has made his name after the cfb season between the senior bowl and combine. Position changes always have bust potential. Really like reddick though.

S/LB - jabril Peppers - probably the most popular one. Production raises question marks, and where do you play him?

S - obi melifonwu - combine breakout guy. You're drafting him purely on what you think he can become, not what you're getting now.

RB - Leonard fournette - I know, I know - how dare I say this about four. Imo he's overrated. Don't see the vision or elusiveness, he doesn't have the towing-power of a marshawn. Needs a full head of steam to break tackles. He'll need a good OL, otherwise I see lots of 2 yard runs into the backs of o-linemen.

Dt - Malik McDowell - character concerns plus lack of great production. Your drafting his attributes with hope you can mold him.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

LOL.... what a reach. It was during physicals. Sources say he may have been egged on even. He didn't get physical with anyone. He just got in verbal confrontation and shown the door.

The title of this thread is about players you think are going to BUST.... he's not going to bust because of this incident. Might have a temper, lost his cool on a long day. But he's not going to bust.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is bringing up that he threatened medical workers with violence during the NFL Combine as an incoming rookie of all times a reach? Dude's been in damage control mode and can't stop apologizing ever since. Yeah, we all have our moments, but how mindless can you be to lose it like that during the biggest opportunity of your life? Amidst rumors that you're already dropping down the draft boards and have injury history to boot? Didn't he either struggle to learn the playbook at one point or just not put in the effort to? Its college, yeah, but boy do I not want another Ro.

In fact, that whole incident is totally out of Rolando McClain's playbook. Laughing
drfrey13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
How is bringing up that he threatened medical workers with violence during the NFL Combine as an incoming rookie of all times a reach? Dude's been in damage control mode and can't stop apologizing ever since. Yeah, we all have our moments, but how mindless can you be to lose it like that during the biggest opportunity of your life? Amidst rumors that you're already dropping down the draft boards and have injury history to boot? Didn't he either struggle to learn the playbook at one point or just not put in the effort to? Its college, yeah, but boy do I not want another Ro.

In fact, that whole incident is totally out of Rolando McClain's playbook. Laughing

From what I have read the egging on was the medical staff member telling him to do it after he threatened to physically hurt him. 100% of the blame is on Foster.
Trojan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwaine Smoot of Illinois is another one I don't see it that a lot of people see as being a round 2-3 guy. I think he's a 5th type like a Jihad Ward (his former teammate) but the edge version.
Big Rob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

all this
Synyster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully reuben foster falls to our pick as a result and aldon smith can take him under his wing. this would be an ideal situation here.
Chwf3rd25

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'Onta Foreman, HB, Texas

People are enamored with his size and straight line speed but he lacks lateral agility and benefited from the big holes opened up by that Texas OL. He'll be okay but just a plodder, a la Jeremy Hill.

Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama

I think he'll be fine at guard but some team will draft him as a LT and he'll struggle. Gives up the edge and lunges, not the mauler in the run game that he's made out to be. This one scares me because I think he fits the Raiders OT profile more than Bolles or Ramchyek.

Derrick Barnett and Taco Charlton, Edge, Tennessee and Michigan

I don't hate either player but i don't think they'll be 10 sack guys. Both of them lack explosiveness. Give me Takk, Tim Williams, Lawson, or Charles Harris instead.

Hassan Reddick, LB, Temple

I don't think he'll be a bust necessarily but I think people are overlooking how much of a developmental player he is. He never played LB in college and now people are considering him a top 20 LB prospect. Maybe he'll be great but he's riskier than people are letting on.

Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida

I just don't think he moves well enough, very stiff. Given all the CB talent in this draft I have mid as a mid 2nd rounder.[/b]
BayRaider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

He's not a Top 10 lock anymore. Teams take that stuff seriously. I don't see him getting out of the Top 15 but anything is possible. See this kind of stuff every year.

If Foster falls to us, seems like a no brainer but there could always be more information teams have that the public doesn't.
raidr4life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabril Peppers.
SBXISBXVSBXVIII

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious question. What makes a player a bust?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: